PDA

View Full Version : Anybody planning on getting "SW Chronicles: The Prequels"?

JediTricks
06-14-2005, 04:10 PM
I know the book doesn't come out for several more months, but it recently came to my attention again and got me thinking, is anybody going to shell out the $150 MSRP or even the $100 that it's currently being pre-sold for? The book isn't even really written by the same folks, this time it's Sansweet and SW Insider-writer Pablo Hidalgo.

This thread has nothing to do with any 'prequel hating', it's just that part of what made the original "Star Wars Chronicles" book special is that, even now but especially at that time, there had been woefully few resources for any behind-the-scenes looks at Star Wars, especially focusing on its props and masks and other physical objects; the prequels, however, have had TONS of books released about these things from before each film was even released, and the movies had way fewer props since they concentrated on using CGI models - I suppose they could have lots of photos of maquettes used for design, but that doesn't seem enough to me.

stillakid
06-14-2005, 11:43 PM
I didn't realize that this was coming out. I'll have to look at it first before deciding. I have ordered the Trisha Biggar book from starwars.com...the uber expensive version. While the plots of the Prequels are abysmal, the production design has been pretty top notch overall. Star Wars is not unlike a candy bar...tasty but full of empty calories. Wrapper is usually cool though. :)

2-1B
06-14-2005, 11:55 PM
I didn't know it was coming out either, that is not until a few days ago when JT mentioned it in another post. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Well, I will definitely be getting this . . . but I'll wait til next year when the price drops. lol

I do own the Chronicles Book on the OT and it is FANTASTIC of course, and yes you're probably right about the better "value" of the OT Documentation (in terms of rarity of material) JT, but I still want to get this.

For a cool hundred ? Nope. lol What did I pay for the first Chronicles ? I can't recall but I remember posting about it so it's around here somewhere. I do know that I waited a long time after it came out, I scooped it up at a clearance price.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Well, I will definitely be getting this . . . but I'll wait til next year when the price drops. lol

For a cool hundred ? Nope. lol What did I pay for the first Chronicles ? I can't recall but I remember posting about it so it's around here somewhere. I do know that I waited a long time after it came out, I scooped it up at a clearance price.Now, this is usually what I do with expensive SW items, but the SW:C is one of the few books I don't have, because I could never find it cheap enough, then couldn't find it at all. Yeah, I could snag it if I looked hard enough, but in the bout between laziness v. dedication, Mr. Ness wins in a knockout!

JediTricks
06-15-2005, 05:23 PM
I was reminded of the Chronicles Prequels book a few weeks ago while looking into what Pablo Hidalgo had written, it came up on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811847357/qid=1118874400/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i8_xgl14/002-0811804-9343264?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I went to report it in the SSG news and found a reference to the book dating back to DECEMBER, so I felt like a chump and didn't bother posting that news. :p

DarthQuack
06-18-2005, 09:47 PM
I know I'm gonna get dragged over the coals for this one, but I'd rather spend 94.50 on the Complete Calvin and Hobbes set that is coming out before this.

JediTricks
06-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Makes sense to me, though that seems really pricey for a C&H compilation. How complete is it though?

I keep coming back to the question in my head on this Prequels book of what they're going to put in there that hasn't been covered by previous literature, and how will they come up with enough to justify the incredibly high pricetag?

Jayspawn
06-22-2005, 12:25 AM
I plan on getting it JT. If its at all like the Original Trilogy Chronicles -I'd be well worth it as I've heard nothing but great things about it. But apparently people who shelled out $100+ for the 1st Chronicles say its well worth it.

Yes a LOT of the items were CG (which kinda sucks), like we wont be seeing Clone Trooper prop helmets and such. But the props department are top notch -hats off to them! I wish I could review the book before buying. Hopefully SW.com will show some pages in advance so we know how it will look befor buying.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Here's a list of some of the new upcoming books, including the prequel chronicles one. What might make some more happy is that they are going to rerelease the orginal trilogy chronicles book...

From Chronicle Books:

The Star Wars Poster Book - $50.00 - ISBN: 0811848833

The Star Wars Chronicles The Prequels - $150.00 - ISBN: 0811847357

Star Wars Chronicles (available in a new slip case) - $150.00 - ISBN: 081181498X

all are available October 2005

From Abrams:

Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days - $29.95 - ISBN: 0810959364

and of Course

Dressing a Galaxy - Trade edition $50.00 - ISBN: 0810965674

Dressing a Galaxy - Limited Edition $295.00 - ISBN: 081095964X

I love books! I love star wars books even more so when I go to SDCC I spend lots of time going to book panels and the different vendors' booths. They had an "Upcoming STar Wars Books" panel that I attended and got to see examples of all these books and they brought out the limited edition of dressing a galaxy and that thing is GORGEOUS! They said that it comes with swatches of the material used in making some of the costumes and the big cahuna is that you get a swatch from the Darth Vader cloak. Plus it's just put together amazingly!

For those of you who never got the orginal star wars chronicles book, you'll have a chance now that they are reprinting it. The one I liked the most, and not because it's the cheapest but because of it's content and layout is the "Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days" by John Knoll. This book is going to be a great addition to my collection and I'm really excited about it.

Plus there's a new trilogy of fiction books coming out by Del Rey that take place after the New Jedi Order called Dark Nest I: The Joiner King, Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen and Dark Nest III: The Swarm War. All of these look fantastic! And also Star Wars Dark Lord: The rise of Darth Vader which takes place after EP3 and before EP4.

I'm so excited for all of these books coming out, both non-fiction and fiction! I look forward to the upcoming months for sure!

On a side note, I went to Clive Barker's panel at SDCC (damn that man is fookin' hilarious) and he's in the process of writing a book that will kill off pinhead, horribly, as he said. I wrote the name down but can't find out where I put it. Soon as I find it, I'll put it up.

Oi! :stupid:

stillakid
07-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the list, Deox! :)

I already have the original Chronicles book and plan to pick up the Prequel version as well. I also have the Limited Edition Dressing a Galaxy on order through Starwars.com.

I'm not much into the fiction, but Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days sounds interesting. I've had the pleasure of working with Mr. Knolls so I'm sure that this is a great read coming from such a nice guy. :)

Deoxyribonucleic
07-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the list, Deox! :)

I already have the original Chronicles book and plan to pick up the Prequel version as well. I also have the Limited Edition Dressing a Galaxy on order through Starwars.com.

I'm not much into the fiction, but Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days sounds interesting. I've had the pleasure of working with Mr. Knolls so I'm sure that this is a great read coming from such a nice guy. :)

I know it's a bit away, but when you get it, I'd really like to know what you think of it and hear about all the cool "extras" it comes with. It's something I really want to get but need to think it out because of the price tag on that puppy. If I get it, it has to be the limited edition.

:)

stillakid
07-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I know it's a bit away, but when you get it, I'd really like to know what you think of it and hear about all the cool "extras" it comes with. It's something I really want to get but need to think it out because of the price tag on that puppy. If I get it, it has to be the limited edition.

:)

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
07-19-2005, 11:32 PM
I'll show you mine if you show me yours. ;)

You don't have to ask me twice! hehe

JediTricks
07-19-2005, 11:34 PM
First of all, nice to see Deoxy around again, haven't seen you in any of the threads I visit in a while. :)

Second, I can't believe they're re-releasing the SW Chronicles original again, do they really think they can get more buyers at that price when they're putting out a Prequel version at the same price? Still, it's an awesome book and I'm glad I have mine.

Third, that Limited Edition "Dressing" book sounds pretty cool, the fabric swatches seems like one of the coolest additions any of these tomes has ever had. Still, that pricetag is a heart-stopper.

Fourth, what will the "Creating: 365" book be of? I get the general jist from the title, but any specifics?

Jayspawn
07-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Glad to hear they are re-releasing the original Chronicles. I dont have one yet and have been waiting them out. I'm definatly getting Dressing a Galaxy and the Star Wars Poster Book.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-20-2005, 12:36 PM
First of all, nice to see Deoxy around again, haven't seen you in any of the threads I visit in a while. :)

Second, I can't believe they're re-releasing the SW Chronicles original again, do they really think they can get more buyers at that price when they're putting out a Prequel version at the same price? Still, it's an awesome book and I'm glad I have mine.

Third, that Limited Edition "Dressing" book sounds pretty cool, the fabric swatches seems like one of the coolest additions any of these tomes has ever had. Still, that pricetag is a heart-stopper.

Fourth, what will the "Creating: 365" book be of? I get the general jist from the title, but any specifics?

This is quoted from the lil handout I got from them...

"...Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days takes the reader on an unprecedented trip through the Lucasfilm archives of all six Star Wars films. This dazzling space ride book, the single most comprehensive collection of 'behind-the-scenes' Star Wars images and lavishly illustrated with 1,000 full-color illustrations, is led by John Knoll...

This visually stunning 744 page book features breathtaking 360-degree panoramic shots of sts and models, as well as film stills, concept art, and memorabilia, as well as a CD-Rom with Quicktime panoramas of the sets of EP I - III and panoramic gatefolds.

Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days is Knoll's spectacular survey of the stunning visual world created by the six Star Wars films. The book ranges from grand vistas produced in spectacular matte paintings to close-up views of instrument panels. It shows us Lucas and his crews creating their universe on location and in the studio, in pages dense with imager and information, documenting a remarkable sustained creative effort by hundreds of devoted filmmakers and craftsmen. For the Star Wars fan, it is a must-have book."

They showed us some pages from it and the layout is awesome and it just looks great all around. They tried to show us a panoramic from inside the falcon but they couldn't get the computer to work.

I know this book is going to be a great one!

Here's some links...

http://www.abramsbooks.com/index.php/d/1/0810959364/

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=2836

stillakid
07-20-2005, 05:25 PM
You don't have to ask me twice! hehe

It's a date then. ;)

JediTricks
07-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks Deoxy, looks like I have another book to buy. :D I am not a fan of including CD Roms with books, but the book itself seems like a very cool idea. I want to see the inside first chance I get.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-20-2005, 11:48 PM
It's a date then. ;)

MeeYOW!

Thanks Deoxy, looks like I have another book to buy. I am not a fan of including CD Roms with books, but the book itself seems like a very cool idea. I want to see the inside first chance I get.

The insides are COOL! I wish I could explain it, but my explanation won't do it any justice! The CD Rom contains the panoramic views and I believe some pre production art work and things like that so actually it seems to be quite a nifty lil thang. ;)

2-1B
07-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the awesome Book Report, Deo.

Those all sound fantastic and I'd love to get all of them . . . as cool as those swatches are, I don't think I could pull off the LE version. :nerv:

2-1B
08-18-2005, 03:35 AM
I changed my mind, I decided I will be buying this for 94.50 from Amazon when it comes out.

The Official Site had a link in the new Delta Source which gives a glimpse of the book, I'm definitely buying it. http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/news20050817.html

I'm surprised they show the TPM Yoda puppet in that page, I thought maybe they would delete him from history if they do actually end up replacing him digitally.

Jayspawn
08-18-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm glad that the Yoda puppet is included for archival purposes, but I'm sure he'll get replaced in some future version of The Phantom Menace (with NEW Yoda and more Darth Maul).

I also changed my mind Caesar, after seeing those few pages. I have high expectations for this book. Wal-Mart.com has it available for preorder for only $89.76! And the shipping is cheap.

2-1B
08-18-2005, 12:02 PM
How much is shipping ? Amazon's is free so if Wal-Mart's shipping is 4.50 or more, I'm going with Amazon.

The Official Site's comes with autographs from Sansweet and Hidalgo, sorry but that's not worth $50+ to me. lol