PDA

View Full Version : Deconstructment.

Portlyman
06-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Has there been any progress on the subject of taking the blade off an FX saber with as little damage as possible? I'll go check google in the meantime.

megaprime33
06-15-2005, 07:07 AM
In short, no.

jedi master sal
06-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Don't be so hasty. MR is currently in the process of making sabers with removable blades.

It might be better to wait, than to risk damaging you saber, when they could very well have the solution by the end of the year.

Jayspawn
06-15-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm still very happy with ther FX lightsabers just the way they are.

nash
06-15-2005, 12:02 PM
I dont understand why people would want to have the blade detachable for the FX Lightsabers???

I mean YES you will be able to carry the hilt around on your belt or whatever, but then comes the question where the hell will u put or carry the blade itself? Youre going to simulate duelling by having just the hilt but then when u gonna duel youre going to have to re-attach the blade again? Doesnt make sense really.

I agree they are fine the way they are because if you'd want to detach the blade to have a Fullsize MR hilt, then you should just buy the LE's which are probably much better quality.

Captain Spoon
06-15-2005, 12:23 PM
I would love removeable blades on the FX. Simply for the reason that I spend so much on SW stuff as it is, the wife will not let me drop $400 bucks for a LE lightsaber. And even though the quality is different I still think it would be cool to display the handles

Jayspawn
06-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Well said nash. ;)

knightone
06-15-2005, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't mind removeable blades. I could do without it as well and like the FXs right now just fine. If MR can pull it off well and retain the effects and sturdiness, then I'm all for the upgrade. It all depends on the execution of it.

Knowing MR, though, i'm sure they will do a good job. However, if they can't do it well enough to retain the solidness of the construction and the sturdiness of the blade and the cool effects, then I would rather they not implement it right way and hold off on it until such time that it can be done better. Basically, I don't want them to do it just for the sake of doing it. It needs to be well thought out and well engineered.

Either way, though, I'll still be an FX customer. As long as MR can keep up the high quality and well thought out designs, then I'll keep buying. I'm pretty much mainly an FX customer. I buy multiples of the ones I like (so far that's only five Anakin ROTS and three Luke ESBs). Make a Qui-Gonn and I'll buy a half dozen or more! :D

I do like the LEs, but they are museum pieces and I have no desire to have a house full of museum displays. I'd rather have something of high quality that I can have some fun with. The FXs provide a lot of entertainment, far more than a collection under glass that I'd only be able to stare at for fear of damaging a relatively high dollar item. The FXs provide me with a superb balance of entertainment, enjoyment, and quality. As long as they retain those qualities, I don't mind them continually evolving the line at all. Removeable blades or any other changes MR feels need to be made to keep the line fresh is fine with me. Just keep making them with care and attention and I will keep buying them.

As for those that don't want a removeable blade, don't take them off. I'm sure any saber with a detachable blade is going to have a mechanism to lock the blade on. It'd be nice to have a saber hilt to wear on a costume or for play that doesn't cost $350. I know I would never wear or play with an LE. The cost is just too high for them to be used as play pieces. Well, unless of course, you're super wealthy. In that case, more power to you, juggle those LEs around and have a field day. For those like myself, a hundred or so dollars is more what we'd like to pay for a costume or play piece.

In any case, nothing is set in stone as of yet. Until MR makes an official announcement about this feature, everything is up in the air and subject to change. Personally, I haven't even heard of this as a hint from MR. I've only heard it a number of times as rumor and conjecture. Until MR makes it official, I'll only take it as such. Even if MR wanted to do it, it might not come out as expected and the plans might be scrapped. I don't want to get my hopes up and I don't think anyone who wants a detachable bladed FX should get their hopes up either until we hear some official word. This all might be rumor or it may be an actual effort that will bear no fruit. Let's just wait it out and see.

Stalecracker
06-15-2005, 05:17 PM
http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=90131

Step by step for the Vader FX.

Portlyman
06-15-2005, 09:13 PM
With the way my ESB blade is wobbling, maybe it'll just slide off in a few days.

JediTricks
06-15-2005, 09:48 PM
http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=90131

Step by step for the Vader FX.
That is mighty impressive! I can foresee a system using that same style of inner core design that uses contacts and perhaps screws in from both its top AND bottom or has some sort of counter-screw locking collar on the outside, and then you'd just slide out the pins to remove the blade. It's complicated but could be quite solid and satisfying.