PDA

View Full Version : How thick is a lightsaber blade?

stillakid
06-14-2005, 11:50 PM
:confused:
__________________________________________________ _

Clonetrooper630
06-15-2005, 12:00 AM
how about how long??????:confused: :crazed:

JimJamBonds
06-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Well according to SW.com the blade is about a meter long, although its shorter for Yoda. As for thickness.... I would say at its base its the width at were it comes out of the handle and seems to works its way down to a point. Perhaps a few inches at the base?:confused:

Jim Jam

2-1B
06-15-2005, 01:31 AM
|_______________|

^
That wide. :)

(disclaimer: width of lightsaber blade may vary according to screen settings. lol )

Slicker
06-15-2005, 05:54 AM
I'd have to say about the circumferance of a broom handle, maybe a little bit bigger.

Jek Porky 2002
06-15-2005, 09:27 AM
I imagine the core of the blade to be a little thinner than a pencil, the glow it gives off is about 2 inches.

JediTricks
06-15-2005, 05:17 PM
In the films it varies, I'd say around 3.5 to 4cm.

Clonetrooper630
06-15-2005, 05:25 PM
well we got the thicknes, but what determines the lenght????

JediTricks
06-15-2005, 09:40 PM
There is no uniform length, Vader's saber is longer than most, Yoda's is shorter, by looking at that fact in a vacuum, it would suggest saber length is determined by the user's height which I believe is consistant with real-world sword choices.

jeddah
06-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Hope you don't mind me utilising this thread for a lightsabre (or "laser sword" :rolleyes: as they seem to be called by Lucasfilm employees these days) question rather than starting a new one;

I was under the impression that the lightsabre button was a swtich on/off affair until my colleague said the other day, it must be loaded button because why would the lightsabre automatically switch off when knocked out of an opponent's hand? And this is true for the films apart from one instance I can think of; when vader throws his lighsabre in ESB, it remains ignited to cut the gantry jib and send Luke flying.

A thought? Hmm? Anyone?

jeddah

Slicker
06-22-2005, 02:05 AM
And this is true for the films apart from one instance I can think of; when vader throws his lighsabre in ESB, it remains ignited to cut the gantry jib and send Luke flying. Also Yoda in ROTS when he throws the saber at the Clones chest.

I don't know the name of it but the switch can be set up like your garden hose. Where you have the little toggle to keep the handle depressed so you don't have to keep your hand on the trigger. I don't know if that makes any sense but it did to me.:crazed:

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 03:13 AM
The EU explains that the switch is dependent on a user holding the saber, or else it goes auto-off, but that there's also another switch which locks the saber in the "on" position.

I've always thought that the lightsaber's beam length and intensity could be adjusted, so when Luke is training against the remote the beam is set so it won't cut him if he accidentally messes up, this might even be why the blade is white on the Falcon instead of blue (though I doubt this is the real-world behind-the-scenes-at-ILM reason ;)).

stillakid
06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
It's been awhile since I read it, but The Splinter of the Mind's Eye had Luke breaking into a lock by adjusting his lightsaber blade down to the size of a knife or so. EU, so take it for what it's worth. :)

jeddah
06-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Thank you, people. It's funny how some twenty-odd years down the line from seeing the OT in the cinema for the first time, these things pop into my head :D

jeddah

Jargo
06-28-2005, 05:27 AM
hmmm well technically seeing as the saber is light, it fades off in all directions. red sabers go further due to nature of the light spectrum. blue sabers 'bleed' the least. So while the width appears to be set the light is spilling off. Then of course there's the depth to consider. And why on earh do the saber weilders have flowing cloaks? a weapon that slices through everything and they have an article of uniform that gets in the way. I swear kit Fisto in ROS cuts his own cloak. or should do. They cheated the effect and it bugs me. There again it bugs me that the lightsaber is a 'focused length' thing. And that lightsabers have a sort of solidity to the blade when they meet each other. I can accept that the blades cut through stuff as we know lasers will do that but the physical properties of the blade seems to fluctuate too much and there's no real consistent to it all. I probably would have just accepted it all as science fiction nonsense if they'd called it a ray saber like I accept ray guns and blasters and so on but calling it a laser sword or light saber gives it a boundary, which is warped and stretched to suit the movies plot. so I just think of it all as stupid now.