PDA

View Full Version : AT-RT Pilot/Turbo Tank Driver

Phantom-like Menace
06-15-2005, 02:14 AM
Would anyone be able to tell me if the AT-RT pilot has a ball-jointed head, and if so, whether that head will fit at all on a Clone Trooper (#41 or #6) neck? Also, will the upcoming Turbo Tank Driver have a ball-jointed head?

Thanks

B_C
06-15-2005, 03:29 AM
The turbo tank driver has a ball jointed clone head under the removable helmet. So you can put it on other figures, but you would need to reduce the size of the peg on a regular clone's neck to make it fit though.

LTBasker
06-15-2005, 01:40 PM
The AT-RT pilot does not have a ball jointed neck, it has the old standard swivel neck.

The Turbo Tank driver for sure has a ball jointed head, but we haven't heard anything about if it will have a removeable helmet or not. How do you know, B_C?

Ya know the funny thing is the Turbo Tank/AT-RT driver that's coming out doesn't seem to have ball jointed hips so it couldn't sit on an AT-RT.

acave
06-15-2005, 05:17 PM
what I can't understand is why did they make these figures with they are not going to the vehicles for them

JediTricks
06-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Would anyone be able to tell me if the AT-RT pilot has a ball-jointed head, and if so, whether that head will fit at all on a Clone Trooper (#41 or #6) neck? I just tried it, the AT-RT pilot's head is a little stiffer material than the Clone #6's head, but once you get past that they are a perfect fit - not too tight but not loosey goosey. The range of motion is limited to turning and slightly upwards by the lack of the head hole being countersunk, so it also sits a little higher up on the neck but it doesn't look unnatural at all. I haven't tried it on a #41, but I believe the ball joint for the head there is about the same size so it should work.

The AT-RT pilot does not have a ball jointed neck, it has the old standard swivel neck.That is not correct, the AT-RT pilot figure that comes with the AT-RT does have a ball-jointed head, but the ball-joint design isn't countersunk and the way it meets the collar doesn't allow it to look up & down or tilt at all. Also, the "ball" in this ball joint is actually 3 circles that intersect to form a sphere shape that viewed from overhead is a + shape.

Phantom-like Menace
06-16-2005, 12:01 AM
I just tried it, the AT-RT pilot's head is a little stiffer material than the Clone #6's head, but once you get past that they are a perfect fit - not too tight but not loosey goosey. The range of motion is limited to turning and slightly upwards by the lack of the head hole being countersunk, so it also sits a little higher up on the neck but it doesn't look unnatural at all. I haven't tried it on a #41, but I believe the ball joint for the head there is about the same size so it should work.

Thank you, Mr. Vice Chancellor. I'm trying to remember . . . I want to say the #41 head is just a little loose on the #6. I know for certain the Clone Commander head is loose and looks unnatural on the #6. Actually, if I recall correctly (a big if), the #41 head and the Clone Commander head are comparable.

JEDIpartner
06-16-2005, 12:21 PM
I passed on the AT-RT because the figure was poo and I guess I didn't really need another little vehicle. I'm glad the Turbo Tank driver is essentially the same figure but a much nicer sculpt.

LTBasker
06-16-2005, 09:14 PM
That is not correct, the AT-RT pilot figure that comes with the AT-RT does have a ball-jointed head, but the ball-joint design isn't countersunk and the way it meets the collar doesn't allow it to look up & down or tilt at all. Also, the "ball" in this ball joint is actually 3 circles that intersect to form a sphere shape that viewed from overhead is a + shape.

Really? That's wierd. I didn't really check out the neck, just tried to wiggle the head and all I could do is get it to move like it would with a basic swivel joint. That's rather wasteful of potential articulation then. I wonder if it would be possible to shave down some area around the neck in order to use the joint?

JediTricks
06-17-2005, 04:41 AM
Thank you, Mr. Vice Chancellor. I'm trying to remember . . . I want to say the #41 head is just a little loose on the #6. I know for certain the Clone Commander head is loose and looks unnatural on the #6. Actually, if I recall correctly (a big if), the #41 head and the Clone Commander head are comparable.Glad I could help. Keep in mind with those if any other head is loose on a #6 body, then the AT-RT Pilot's head will be extra tight on those figures' bodies, so if the CC's head is loose on a #6 then the AT-RT pilot's head will be tight on a CC's body.

So, you have piqued my interest, what's the project on this?

Really? That's wierd. I didn't really check out the neck, just tried to wiggle the head and all I could do is get it to move like it would with a basic swivel joint. That's rather wasteful of potential articulation then. I wonder if it would be possible to shave down some area around the neck in order to use the joint? Yeah, Hasbro's a pretty odd duck with some of these design choices. I dunno if that'd work or not, seems like it could get you a few degrees of movement, you'd probably also have to carve out some of the "cup" of the joint inside the head -- you'll notice that the cup on other ball-jointed heads is recessed, with an opening beyond the flare that holds the ball, which accomodates the movement; the AT-RT pilot's flare is right at the bottom of the helmet unfortunately so it may sacrifice its ability to stay on. It's worth a shot, but familiarize yourself with how it works versus how the #6 clone's head or the CW SA Clone's head works.

Phantom-like Menace
06-17-2005, 04:12 PM
So, you have piqued my interest, what's the project on this?

Well, the specifics of it are more for the customizing section, but I was looking to customize a commander (assuming my upcoming Very First Custom Ever in Life doesn't suck), and I wanted to do something a little different, so I figured I would see if an AT-RT pilot head would fit on any of these bodies, so I could make the commander of a mechanized light cavalry unit.

JediTricks
06-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Nice! If you're willing to sacrifice poseability in the head, should turn out fairly easy and pretty sweet.

Phantom-like Menace
06-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Wow, thanks again, JediTricks. I picked up the AT-RT today, and I checked out the neck. If I had been asked about that neck, I would have taken one look at it and decided there was no way it was ball-jointed. If I then decided to try to remove it anyway, I would have taken a couple of experimental tugs and decided I was going to break the figure. Your perseverance in the face of potential figure decapitation is much appreciated.

That is, though, the strangest ball-jointed construction I've seen. Hasbro definitely has me scratching my head on this one. But, it's pretty much exactly what I need, so I'm not complaining.