PDA

View Full Version : that Vlasic stork is a lying fraud

2-1B
06-15-2005, 02:14 PM
What's your favorite brand of pickle ?

For my money, it doesn't get any better than Milwaukee's Best dill. :)

In a related story, those "bread and butter" flavored kinds are nasty. :dead:

El Chuxter
06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
I think big green foam rubber Hulk gloves would help that commercial. Or at least the Hulk. Imagine the pelican giving his sales pitch and the Hulk runs out, shouts, "Baaaaah! Puny bird!! Hulk smash!!!"

JimJamBonds
06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Good thing pelican season opens up this Saturday.

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2005, 04:12 PM
I like me some Klausen pickles. They be crunchy.

Rocketboy
06-15-2005, 04:28 PM
"Pickles are cucumbers that sold out."

Slicker
06-15-2005, 04:37 PM
I prefer the pre-chewed pickles known as relish.

JediTricks
06-15-2005, 06:07 PM
I don't think I have a favorite national brand, I like pickles a lot but haven't paid much attention to the big companies anymore. Bubbies kosher half-sours are really good though, I suppose that'd be it. Right now I buy Trader Joes Kosher and Kosher Half-Sours (though the latter have been WAY too green lately, which means they're not as half-sour as they should be), they're pretty good and much cheaper than the others.

I don't like sweet pickles in general, they're probably more popular with kids though (kids prefer ketchup on their hot dogs while adults prefer mustard, it's a sweet vs sour thing that changes as you mature and develop more discerning taste). I like spicy hot pickles, the brand I ate all the time in Jr High had straight up capsaicin though so it was all heat :eek: no taste of specific chiles or anything.

mabudonicus
06-15-2005, 06:31 PM
mmmm capsaicin them sounds like good eats JT

I don't know if you have them down there, but about (YES I said "about") the only real KILLER of the Canadian Pickle scene is STRUB's brine dills.

I am really curious, too, as to prices of pickles across the border- here a 32 oz jar of the good ones costs almost 4 dollars(CDN) most places and it just seems too expensive (if you really like pickles) and of the cheaper vinegar dills you can find them as low as 1.79 or so

How is the price structure down there and the sizing- can you get a gallon jar of really good ones, and how much is it usually?? (and I know different areas are all different, so multiple reports are fine I would think)

And I thought vlaasic pickles were kinda lousy, as well, they just became available up here (before they came across in smuggling compartments in my Granparents car, back in the 80's) so I will have to see if I can get some cheap just to re-confirm this :beard:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2005, 07:36 PM
I always thought he was a stork, not a pelican. "Mommy, where do babies come from?" "Check that jar of pickles in the cupboard, Billy." Eww... :eek:

Personally, I hate pickles, and now I'm going to ruin this thread by making rude and insensitive comments about how much I hate these "food" items! Here's one now...

I do not like pickles.

Here's another...

Their taste and smell repulse me.

I apologize for my inappropriate language. :ermm:

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Is this thread gonna go on a long as that damn discussion about apples did? :rolleyes: :D

2-1B
06-16-2005, 01:47 AM
If SSG is full of the quality pickle-talkers I think it is, then yes. Yes, Cappy. :)

JT I like ketchup AND mustard together on my hot dogs. Sometimes I'll even go with ketchup and mayo. Cheese is fun, too.

OH MY GOD, DID YOU EVER HAVE A CHICAGO STYLE HOT DOG ? ? ? ? :eek:
They're awesome, they'll take a slice of pickle AS LONG AS THE ACTUAL DOG and slap that bad boy in the bun. So it's like a double dog almost, except one half is hot dog and the other half is pickle.

Now, they seem to use sweeter pickles in that setting but I can still enjoy it because there's all that hot doggy goodness to go with it.

Mabs, let me dig out my receipt to do a price check for you . . . . I paid $1.98 USD for a 1 Qt. jar of Milwaukee's "fresh packed" Dill Pickles (tagline: Wisconsin's Hometown Favorite). I have noticed though that if you go for the bulk sizes (I'm not talking about some bulk cruiser, I'm talking the big Corellian ships lol ) anyway if you go Bulk the price break is considerable. :)

What do you think about Baby Dill or Midget Dill ?

Okay, the Babies - those I can dig. They're small and actually pretty good for "snacking" (I NEVER cut up pickles, what's the point?)

Midgets - these I'm not big on. While filling that snacking column, I just don't like them because they are way too bumpy.

2-1B
06-16-2005, 03:55 AM
Bel-Cam was right, it is a stork and not a pelican. I hadn't looked at him recently so I couldn't recall exactly the size of his beak but I figured a pelican could stuff more of those pickles in his piehole. :D

So yeah, it's a stork, and a sickly thing at that:

Kidhuman
06-16-2005, 09:41 AM
I perfer the ones out the barrel at local deli's.

CaptainSolo1138
06-16-2005, 10:03 AM
I perfer the ones out the barrel at local deli's.
The ones all the little kids play with when their Mom's aren't looking? Dirty kid fingers make everything taste better! :D

Since we're also discussing hot dogs, I'll add my pennies. If I'm putting cheese on my dog, I prefer ketchup. If cheese isn't involved, then it's spicy brown mustard for me. Also, I love dill relish on hot dogs. Oh yeah, one more thing:

THE DOG SITS ON TOP OF THE FIXIN'S!! NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!

Kidhuman
06-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Ketchup on the bottom and mustard on top, thats the move right there Solo

CaptainSolo1138
06-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Ketchup on the bottom and mustard on top, thats the move right there Solo
Aw, KH. I thought of all people you'd know how to dress a hot dog properly.

JimJamBonds
06-16-2005, 11:04 AM
I say "MEH!" to hot dogs but I do enjoy cheddar dogs. My favorite would actually be a cousin of the hot dog....bratwaust! The German in me loves em! lol

Kidhuman
06-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Aw, KH. I thought of all people you'd know how to dress a hot dog properly.

Either way you dress it, it comes out the same end......

2-1B
06-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Now why in Hoth would you put these "fixins" on first ? Oh, so it can leak out the bottom of the bun ? Gottcha, you must like spilling condiments all over you.

If I'm doing a basic dog with K & M, the dog goes in first, then a stripe of ketchup along one crevasse with the mustard going in the opposite side.

So from above, it would look like this:

B K D M B
U E O U U
N T G S N

If adding hambuger pickle chips, those are inserted sideways along the inside of the bun, nestled against the dog and BEFORE the condiments are added.

CaptainSolo1138
06-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Now why in Hoth would you put these "fixins" on first ? This way you get to enjoy all of the fixins and don't end up with an upper lip and nose full of ketchup. Also, when putting relish and especially onions on them, this prevents them from falling off.

Oh, so it can leak out the bottom of the bun ? Gottcha, you must like spilling condiments all over you.
Leak? Only if you let it sit around for and hour, or approximately the amount of time it must take you to dress yours. :D

My favorite would actually be a cousin of the hot dog....bratwaust! The German in me loves em!
Hell yes! With sauerkraut and mustard. And a big beer.

2-1B
06-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Please stop talking about sauerkraut. Stop it before I throw up. :dead:

mabudonicus
06-16-2005, 12:23 PM
how could you hate the grandfather of pickles Caesar?? that stuff goes with everything, hot or cold, with salt and pepper, or whatever...
MAN I loves that stuff... and it's LUNCHTIME :)
Pita breads with sauerkraut and mustard sounds pretty damn good right now (I know it sounds awful but whatcha gonna do) :beard:

CaptainSolo1138
06-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Please stop talking about sauerkraut. Stop it before I throw up. :dead:
Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Saurkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut.

Kidhuman
06-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Sauerkraut is the devils diarrhea.

JimJamBonds
06-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Hell yes! With sauerkraut and mustard. And a big beer.

I'm not a sauerkraut fan Cap but if talking about it can get Caeser to yak then I'm for it. ;)

Rocketboy
06-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Sauerkraut is the devils diarrhea.Amen, brother!
Amen.

JediTricks
06-17-2005, 01:38 AM
JT I like ketchup AND mustard together on my hot dogs. Sometimes I'll even go with ketchup and mayo. Cheese is fun, too.So that makes you a man-child? ;) I can understand cheese, usually only with chilli on a dog though, such as Weinerschnizel's bigfoot double cheese chilli dog.

OH MY GOD, DID YOU EVER HAVE A CHICAGO STYLE HOT DOG ? ? ? ? :eek:
They're awesome, they'll take a slice of pickle AS LONG AS THE ACTUAL DOG and slap that bad boy in the bun. So it's like a double dog almost, except one half is hot dog and the other half is pickle. Nope, they didn't become popular here until I started choosing hot dogs without toppings, and that was after I limited myself to 1 hot dog a month or less. Plus, I'm a relish & onions man anyway.

What do you think about Baby Dill or Midget Dill ? I can't get consistant results with those, sometimes they're good and sometimes they're not. French cornichons are fairly consistant and good, but for some reason they give me wicked bad gas.

Bel-Cam was right, it is a stork and not a pelican. I hadn't looked at him recently so I couldn't recall exactly the size of his beak but I figured a pelican could stuff more of those pickles in his piehole. :D Oh yeah, a pelican, that makes no sense, but a stork selling pickles? OF COURSE! :p Seriously, I never got that, and why does he do a crappy Groucho impression?

So yeah, it's a stork, and a sickly thing at that Well, his liver's shut down from eating all that sodium-rich pickle goodness. I bet he even drinks the brine (admit it, so do you all! :D)

Since we're also discussing hot dogs, I'll add my pennies. If I'm putting cheese on my dog, I prefer ketchup. If cheese isn't involved, then it's spicy brown mustard for me. Also, I love dill relish on hot dogs. Oh yeah, one more thing:

THE DOG SITS ON TOP OF THE FIXIN'S!! NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!! Ketchup & cheese?!? EWWWWWWWW!!!! I can't picture that flavor combo in my head on a hot dog.

Also, if a hot dog sat on top of the fixin's, wouldn't it fall out of the measily bun that was provided? Hell, I can barely get the bun to hold up on its own without all those liquidy toppings involved.

Leak? Only if you let it sit around for and hour, or approximately the amount of time it must take you to dress yours. :D No way! They're sold this way right out of the gate, the "hinge" of the bun is pathetic and flimsy. Maybe New Jersey has better hot dog buns though.

Please stop talking about sauerkraut. Stop it before I throw up. :dead: Nothing wrong with sauerkraut unless you get a slimy old uncaredfor batch, the fresh stuff is good though, not like vomitous kimchee.

Hey, we're talking about pickles here, but we haven't mentioned Brak's favorite, pickled eggs, which I've never had, or Japanese pickles which are awful and multiple veggies (Yoshinoya Beef Bowl used to sell 'em, thankfully now they don't).

2-1B
06-17-2005, 02:01 AM
Ugh, I remember the first time I SMELLED kimchee, I think I gagged. lol

JT yes I am a man-child. :D

As for cheese, Word Up on the chili cheese dog, I love a shredded cheese as a topping. But sometimes at home I will slide in a slice of American cheese.
It depends. If I'm eating those soulless skinless dogs, I need to dress it up. There is a meat company in the town I grew up that has in my opinion the BEST traditional style dogs, the flavor is amazing. Those are great plain, I don't even require condiments.

When I looked up the Vlasic website, it referenced that Groucho impression. :D

JediTricks
06-17-2005, 04:48 AM
The Bigfoot Double-Cheese Chilli Dog had both shredded cheese AND sliced, hence "double-cheese" in the title. :D I wonder if they still make that deathtrap-on-a-bun.

I don't eat skinless dogs anymore, if it doesn't have a casing with that sausagey *snap*, I won't bother, life is too short for extruded shape-dogs. :p

BTW, for LA folks who like those classic casing dogs, try the dogs at Original Tomy's with or without chilli, they're very surprisingly classic and good.

CaptainSolo1138
06-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Ketchup & cheese?!? EWWWWWWWW!!!! I can't picture that flavor combo in my head on a hot dog.
Well, I can't say that you're the first person to say that, but I think it's good. Alot of people crack on me for eating the same combonation on bologna sandwiches.

Also, if a hot dog sat on top of the fixin's, wouldn't it fall out of the measily bun that was provided? Hell, I can barely get the bun to hold up on its own without all those liquidy toppings involved.
You don't put the fixins right on the crack. First you put down some onions to reinforce the bottom. Them you put your liquid fixins on about 3/4 of the way down the inside of the bun. I see what you're saying about the flimsey bottoms and agree, that's why I don't put condimints on it.

Maybe New Jersey has better hot dog buns though.
I don't live in New Jersey. I don't need to, Michigan smells bad enough. The location falls in line with my current Bloodhound Gang motif (they're, for I believe an "incident" with a minor, not allowed to play in New Jersey. For this reason they're always cracking on New Jersey in their songs.).

2-1B
06-18-2005, 01:17 AM
JT, I always laugh at the euphemistic term "casing" since we don't want to say what it really is. :p

Oh man, I think somebody might be reading your posts JT, specifically what you said about the "snappiness" of a natural dog. :eek:
http://www.insca.org/faq/faq3.htm

Natural Casing Sausage has that special "snap" and tender bite that's like no other man-made product, and is so highly demanded by today's knowledgeable consumers

JediTricks
06-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Well, what it is is that at some point in the future, they accumulated all the wisdom I bestowed upon you good folks here on the forums before my untimely death at the age of 194 and went back in time with all that sage knowledge to ensure that action could be taken on as much of my advice as possible within my lifetime to actually benefit me. :D

Aren't natural casings made of a thin layer of animal intestines? Hey, as long as they wash 'em, I don't care. There's a vegetarian-based one I hear is decent too, but it's not being used a lot right now. Reading that site you presented, I actually feel LESS bad about enjoying natural casings since they're apparently mostly collagen. Who knew there was an international sausage casing society though?

JimJamBonds
06-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Aren't natural casings made of a thin layer of animal intestines?

Ding ding, you are correct Sir.

2-1B
06-21-2005, 12:59 AM
Natural Casings (a definition): Natural Casings are made from the submucosa, a largely collagen layer of the intestine. The fat and the inner mucosa lining are removed. Since small intestines are collagen in nature, they have many of the same characteristics common to all types of collagen, particularly the unique characteristic of variable permeability.

Hey, as long as they get rid of those pesky linings of fat and inner mucosa, we're free to enjoy the tasty submucosa. lol

JediTricks
06-21-2005, 02:31 AM
Mmm... submucosa.

mabudonicus
06-21-2005, 08:37 AM
yeecchh I am glad I don't eat animals

Submucosa GEEESH good thing I didn't eat breakfast :D

But 'tis true, too- them "vegetarian hot dogs" are frighteningly similar to the real deal but they do not come close to the real thing, snappiness-wise

Slicker
06-21-2005, 09:33 AM
yeecchh I am glad I don't eat animals

But 'tis true, too- them "vegetarian hot dogs" are frighteningly similar to the real deal but they do not come close to the real thing, snappiness-wiseI love contradictions in a single post.:p:D

CaptainSolo1138
06-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Nothin' beats a naturally cased weiner such as Koegel.

But,I found a close second last nite: Cheese filled. Damn, those were exquisite (as long as they are properly dressed on the bottom with plenty of ketchup).

:p

Kidhuman
06-21-2005, 11:09 AM
I love contradictions in a single post.:p:D

I think he means they wrap them in Tomato skin lining

mabudonicus
06-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Yes, yes to KH you will listen :beard:
All's I meant was that flavour and texture wise the vegetarian 'dogs are pretty much identical to red-hots- I would even do a side-by-side thing and I would bet no-one could tell the difference, especially if they were BBQ-ed BUT they stil don't "snap" exactly right

Tomato skins would be a pretty good idea, though, they would negate the need for ketchup ;)

JediTricks
06-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Cheese-filled dogs can be good, but if they're on the rollers too long they are AWFUL.

2-1B
06-22-2005, 02:18 AM
Cheese filled dogs are a risky business because if they sit too long the cheese clots into those gross little balls. lol

Hey, what's up with Kosher Dills ? I seriously don't know. Obviously I am assuming that it has to do with the way in which they are prepared but is it that related to Jewish customs ? I'm really not sure on that.

Tonight while picking up TWO more jars of Milwaukee's, I bought the regular but noticed the Koshers next to it . . . it looked like the jars of kosher had stuff settled on the bottom of the jar while the "regulars" did not.

So what's up with Kosher dills ? :confused:

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 03:57 AM
Most national pickles are kosher these days in terms of safety, but "kosher dills" are also actually their own style of pickle, they have a different flavor. I think one of the major differences is the use of garlic as a major flavoring ingredient.

2-1B
06-22-2005, 04:12 AM
Interesting JT, thanks for the explanation. Well, I'm sure I've eaten koshers then, I just didn't consciously know it . . . I don't know if I would buy them any time soon, I'm not too big on garlic flavoring.

How then does the issue of kosher in terms of safety come into play with vegetables ? I understand the relation to the consumption of animals (yes it was a religious concept as well but it was practical when it comes to food safety - like you just referenced, JT) but what is the specific thing about making pickles "kosher" ? With animals, they have to be prepared right because of the bacteria involved . . . and I guess a cucumber taken from the ground is dirty and needs to be cleaned before pickling. So does it relate to just the purity of the vegetable before being placed into the jar, or does it have something to do with the actual pickling process itself ?

(maybe that's where the garlic comes into play ? I don't know.)

I just did a web search and the first link I found was a forum discussion at Roadfood.com and I'm seeing mentions of brine, vinegar, scrubbing, foam removal, garlic cloves, and kosher salt, just for starters.

Man, who knew pickles could make for such a fascinating conversation ? lol lol lol
(seriously though, this interests me. I think I'll crack open one of those new jars I bought tonight)

plasticfetish
06-22-2005, 05:23 AM
I'm gonna take a guess and say that it has something to do with there being a lack of certain "animal products" in the brine. Kosher law has to do with certain animals (and certain "parts" of animals) being off limits. Meat needs to be prepared in a very specific way and can't be eaten with dairy -- utensils that prepare meat can't be used to prepare dairy, etc.

It pretty much means that you're not going to get anything weird in your pickle jar. (Besides the pickle.)

-----

I'm gonna second JT's thumbs up for Bubbies (http://www.bubbies.com) Kosher Dills, and I love the relish -- perfect for tuna salad! Their sauerkraut is great also. I'm really a big fan of pickled food in general, but I can't handle the Bubbies Pickled Green Tomatoes -- it's just too much for me.

mabudonicus
06-22-2005, 08:24 AM
A quick additional note here- some cultures use fish as a fermentation starter for some types of pickles- I know that in Vietnam pickles are made by layering different vegetables in clay pots with salt and then adding water and "fish juice" and burying the pot for a month or two
And the Kosher salt may have something to do with it, too

And foam removal is part of the Brine pickle manufacture- vinegar-based pickles are a completely different thing- they are more preserved while Brine Dills are actually fermented (or something like that- they are quite altered by the process) in a barrel which must remain open- the foam is the product of the fermentation process and must be removed to let the mixture "breathe"

Hope that helped even a little (and to think I've had a jar with but one pickle in it hiding in the fridge the whole time this thread has been going- my mouth waters profusely every time I check it out dammit)
:beard:

CaptainSolo1138
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Cheese-filled dogs can be good, but if they're on the rollers too long they are AWFUL.

Cheese filled dogs are a risky business because if they sit too long the cheese clots into those gross little balls.
That's why I make them (well, heat them up) at home. I don't want anyone between me and my sulfates!

LusiferSam
06-22-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here and as I like Vlasics. Ok, I like one type. The county style dills. I don't what made these so good (and better than the other Vlasics), but I loved the taste. But for some reason I can't buy these any more. My mom start buying a new brand, Hunn's Privet. Those aren't too bad.

But like KH my favorite pickles are from a local sandwich shop called The Pickle Barrel. With every half sandwich you get one whole pickle. A half sandwich is 8" or 9" long. The pickles are homemade and big, fat ones.

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Kosher for food isn't just meat, it covers pretty much every part of prepared food, even if it's vegetarian, it involves the handling process and the cooking materials and even the amount of boiling involved, it's fairly strict.

Mabs, you are right, brined pickles are fermented, halfway anyway, hence "half sour".

I've never made a cheese dog at home, I am a huge fan of the hot dog roller cooking device, can't get that at home.

One thing I really can't get behind is cut pickles in wedge shapes, just doesn't do it for me, not strong enough.

2-1B
06-23-2005, 01:58 AM
You mean, what, like cut into quads ?

LusiferSam
06-23-2005, 12:30 PM
I've never made a cheese dog at home, I am a huge fan of the hot dog roller cooking device, can't get that at home.
Either you don't watch enough TV or I've been watching too much, but they (I don't know who "they" are) are now selling a rolling hot dog cooker. It's goofy and cheap TV infomercial things, but think of all you could do with it. I just saw the commercial with in the last week.

JediTricks
06-23-2005, 09:53 PM
You mean, what, like cut into quads ?Yeah, lengthwise, they're called "pickle spears" as I just remembered. Wimpy and no integrity, even pickle chips have more integrity because they're still using the skin all the way around.

LS, that's an ugly thought, a home hot dog roller, I hope I never eat enough hot dogs to need that. Seems like something Homer Simpson would definitely have though. :p

2-1B
06-24-2005, 12:38 AM
Spears - I was about to call them that but I didn't know if it was a local term. Many restaurants serve them that way.

LusiferSam
06-24-2005, 01:24 AM
LS, that's an ugly thought, a home hot dog roller, I hope I never eat enough hot dogs to need that. Seems like something Homer Simpson would definitely have though.
Mmm, home hot dog roller [leans head and drools].

Not I'm doing that right, but you get the idea. I love pickle spears. But like most things it depends on the situation. With hot dogs (or brats) spears are great. In burgers or sandwiches I use to like pickles chips, but have gotten to the length wise cut ones. Vlasic calls them "sandwich stackers," but I've seen other folks make them too. But on the side I'm torn between whole pickles and pickle spears. Both have their ups and downs and I'm eat both.

Kidhuman
06-24-2005, 01:38 AM
I think Deion Sanders makes the hot dog machine for your home.

CaptainSolo1138
06-24-2005, 08:32 AM
I think Deion Sanders makes the hot dog machine for your home.
Bu-dump-ching! I think I see a dance of shame coming on........

mabudonicus
06-24-2005, 09:19 AM
It's goofy and cheap TV infomercial things, but think of all you could do with it.
LMAO I don't know why that phrase is so funny man, but it darn near killed me to read it, good one :beard:

Them pickle slices are bunk- if you "break the seal" of the outer skin, they lose their "snap" as well

And yeah, JT, I knew Kosher implied a lot more than "no pork" but no-one has ever been able to explain it to me very well and I have never been compelled to get the whole thing figured out :) (kinda like Halal, I know a couple of things about that, too, but nowhere near enough to actually be able to decide what is and what isn't if ya follow)

Either way, fermented pickles kick all sorta of butt next to vinegar-preserved ones :beard:

Kidhuman
06-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Bu-dump-ching! I think I see a dance of shame coming on........

Seriously, I heard Rome mention it on his show. His words were....

Dieon Sanders has a hot dog making machine out for your home. Something that is sold at ballparks and given away at auto shows, does not need a machine to be made at home with.

CaptainSolo1138
06-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Oh....my....God. Things must not be going to well with the Ravens.

I liked this machine better the first time I saw it....when it was called the George Foreman Grill!

Or even the second time I saw it.....when it was called a microwave!

And you gotta have love for Jim Rome. That guy gives me a laugh almost every day! :D

JimJamBonds
06-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Oh....my....God. Things must not be going to well with the Ravens.

I liked this machine better the first time I saw it....when it was called the George Foreman Grill!

Or even the second time I saw it.....when it was called a microwave!

And you gotta have love for Jim Rome. That guy gives me a laugh almost every day! :D

Holy crap Batman! I thought this was bs, but who could come up with something like this???
http://www.thpsales.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1024

megaprime33
06-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Ok, My 2 cents. As for pickles I prefer the Vlasic Kosher wholes. I've had them since I was a kid and I have never looked back. We still use it, every year at thanksgiving, with our pickle and olive tray. I don't like the pickles that are too garlicy. You know which ones I'm talking about. Too much spice.
Bread and butter pickles or sweet pickles as they are also called are completely nasty. Same with gerghens or however you spell that. Getting store bought brands like shaws or stop and shop or whatever are also completely nasty for pickles.....and Nuts for that matter.

Hot Dogs. I'm not a huge fan of hot dogs, but I do enjoy one(or 3) every so often. The way to make it is simple. Ketchup on the left side of the bun and dog, mustard on the right, and then relish in the middle or top of the dog. Then sprinkled with celery salt and garlic powder. THAT is a dog. Now chili dogs, corn dogs, and chili cheese dogs are a different story and not really what we're talking about. The dog wrapped in cheese is optional. Now that recipe is for home dogs, bbqued or boiled, only. For dogs at the ball park, doesnt matter which, it's spicey mustard all the way and that's it.

LusiferSam
06-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Holy crap Batman! I thought this was bs, but who could come up with something like this???
http://www.thpsales.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1024
Yes! That's the item I was talking about. All but the photo of Deion were used in the commercial. I thought it was cheaper, more like $29.99.

2-1B
06-25-2005, 02:14 AM
KH is exactly right, I remember Rome talking about Prime Time's hot dog machine awhile back.

I should get that to go next to my Presto Pizzazz pizza maker . . . or hey Jim Jam, I could just skip that and go down 4 blocks to Kwik Trip for some Dumpster / Gutter / Roller dogs, eh ? 3 for a buck nineteen. lol lol lol

You know what's weird about me and pickles ? I don't even particularly enjoy cucumbers. I never buy them and I never really eat them unless I buy a prefabricated salad somewhere and there are cukes involved, then I might eat them . . . but ONLY if they are sliced very thin and if I have enough dressing on it. But when it comes to dill flavored pickles, I'm all over it ! :)

JimJamBonds
06-25-2005, 02:45 AM
KH is exactly right, I remember Rome talking about Prime Time's hot dog machine awhile back.

I should get that to go next to my Presto Pizzazz pizza maker . . . or hey Jim Jam, I could just skip that and go down 4 blocks to Kwik Trip for some Dumpster / Gutter / Roller dogs, eh ? 3 for a buck nineteen. lol lol lol

You know what's weird about me and pickles ? I don't even particularly enjoy cucumbers. I never buy them and I never really eat them unless I buy a prefabricated salad somewhere and there are cukes involved, then I might eat them . . . but ONLY if they are sliced very thin and if I have enough dressing on it. But when it comes to dill flavored pickles, I'm all over it ! :)

I've never had a dumpster dog and I don't plan on starting anytime soon.

JediTricks
06-26-2005, 05:29 PM
And yeah, JT, I knew Kosher implied a lot more than "no pork" but no-one has ever been able to explain it to me very well and I have never been compelled to get the whole thing figured out :) It's out there on the web, quite findable. Basically though, it's just a list of ways to keep your food as safe and clean as possible, handed down via religious doctrine. There's also some religious connotations, especially at Passover where there's an ultra-strict regiment of cleaning equipment and utensils (heat utensils till the GLOW), getting rid of or selling all your normal food, and it all has meaning.

I liked this machine better the first time I saw it....when it was called the George Foreman Grill! Or even the second time I saw it.....when it was called a microwave! Dude, I've had hot dogs from the Foreman grill, that thing is a horror to use for them and cooks 'em totally FUBAR. As for microwaves, it's an ugly situation, if you cook 'em too long they explode, if you cook 'em right they're just "hot", no actually change in skin texture or nothing, it's awful.

Holy crap Batman! I thought this was bs, but who could come up with something like this??? I cannot believe you found it! That commercial feels like something straight out of Mad TV, yet it's freakin' REAL! The kid who invented the hot dog roller cooker must be happy though, he's going to get some more dough. And this thing looks pretty nifty, it can actually be used as a griddle as well as a roller cooker. The one thing that really caught my attention though was the rollers cooking ears of corn, that looked brilliant.

Bread and butter pickles or sweet pickles as they are also called are completely nasty. Same with gerghens or however you spell that.Gherkins come in different flavors, so is your issue with the tiny pickle itself or the flavor of the ones you've had?

I should get that to go next to my Presto Pizzazz pizza maker No way, you got one of those??? How does it work for you? I thought it was pretty weird looking, a heating coil or something over a small portion of the pizza and it keeps rotating, right?

You know what's weird about me and pickles ? I don't even particularly enjoy cucumbers. I loathe them, last year we had Subway sandwiches at a picnic and someone let them put cukes on mine, even after I took 'em off I could still taste their horrible green flavor.

The spicy jumbo hot dog at AM PM is really good for a quicky-mart dog, but the local AM-PM closed down so I haven't been tempted to get another in a while. That's another dog though that absolutely shouldn't have condiments on it.