PDA

View Full Version : George Lucas AFI Tribute to Air Next Monday

JediTricks
06-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Just in case you didn't see the news post I made a few days ago:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news?m=show&id=31543

I plan on watching it, hopefully it's not too heavy on the movie clips though, I've seen pretty much all his work already and really would rather hear from - and about his impact on - his peers.

2-1B
06-16-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm looking forward to that.

I heard George even made a few jokes about himself, something about being the king of wooden dialogue ? :)

stillakid
06-16-2005, 12:34 PM
The biggest drag? I got an invite but couldn't make it. :( There's a write up about it on Aintitcoolnews for anyone interested.

2-1B
06-16-2005, 01:33 PM
stillakid, I'm surprised you haven't been blacklisted from any LFL related events. :D

Sorry you couldn't make it, though. :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-16-2005, 03:42 PM
The biggest drag? I got an invite but couldn't make it. :( There's a write up about it on Aintitcoolnews for anyone interested.
When are you gonna tell us who/what you are?

I'll watch this, I mean it's at least a little bit about SW, right? :D

stillakid
06-16-2005, 05:09 PM
When are you gonna tell us who/what you are?

I am the dark... I am the night... I am ... whoops, there's the phone...be right back....

JediTricks
06-17-2005, 01:04 AM
The biggest drag? I got an invite but couldn't make it. :( There's a write up about it on Aintitcoolnews for anyone interested.Oh man! You should have made the time, no matter what! ;) (stupid "real world priorities" screw everything up) AFI is right down the street from me too, and they hosted this thing at the Kodak theater which isn't far from that, so by virtue of living in the area and being a SW fan I should have gotten an invite! Perhaps if I hadn't let my Insider subscription lapse... :p

When are you gonna tell us who/what you are? It's Howard the Duck, isn't it?

stillakid
06-17-2005, 07:30 AM
Oh man! You should have made the time, no matter what! ;) (stupid "real world priorities" screw everything up) AFI is right down the street from me too, and they hosted this thing at the Kodak theater which isn't far from that, so by virtue of living in the area and being a SW fan I should have gotten an invite! Perhaps if I hadn't let my Insider subscription lapse... :p
Yeah. :( I think the invite was for like 6 or 7pm-ish. I had to work all day or something. Can't remember now.

It's Howard the Duck, isn't it?Quack.

kalifguy
06-20-2005, 01:05 AM
I read the show will be pretty good. They will recreate a scene from A New Hope with all the old characters, I may shed a tear... :cry: For those that don't know about what scene it is, you'll have to tune in to find out... ;)

JON9000
06-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Note to all Hollywooders- lay off the collagen. That means you Princess Leia. The poor woman could barely enunciate correctly.

In the meantime, someone give Peter Jackson a sammich!

darko666
06-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Ford telling GL to hurry up with Indiana movie was great. i was just glad they didn't gave Hayden there or any other PT star. except for Smits, but he was pretty pointless in the whole thing.

GL - "King of Wooden Dialouge"

CaptainSolo1138
06-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Overall, I enjoyed it. It had it's high points (Harrison Ford's momologues) and it low points (Maroon 5's pointlessness).

But the big story of the night wasn't Harrison "officially" throwing his fedora into the "Indy" ring nor was it Uncle George admitting he has less than a knack for writing. Nope, it had to be Billy Dee Williams coming out with a cane and finally ending the speculation and proving that he is the galaxy's biggest pimp.

Slicker
06-21-2005, 02:03 AM
Unfortunately do to me having to leave for work at 9:30 I only saw a little bit of it but what I did see (the William Shatner bit) was pretty funny and I'm hopin' to see this in re-runs.

2-1B
06-21-2005, 02:50 AM
Carrie Fisher - what a classless pig. Go away.

Harrison Ford - enough of the mouth breathing already. You haven't had a hit in how many years so now you're good enough to stand as Mark Hamill's equal ? I hope they don't even make an Indy 4, you're officially washed up.

Mark Hamill - class act all around.

Maroon 5 - not a fan of them either, could have done without that nonsense. lol I wanted so badly to fast forward through it but I wanted to see the family fotos so I let that guy continue to "sing."

Rick McCallum - where were you ? And before one of you cracks wise about how he doesn't belong there, I present the following note:

Warren Beatty and Annette Benning - why were you on my TV screen how-many-times ? :confused: The Rick could have had a few of those shots. ;)

John Williams and Jimmy Smits - the two classiest presenters, plus Steven Spielberg did a good job, too.

Bill Shatner - kind of decent intro, better than I expected. Pretty good job by him.

George Lucas - nice to see a great man get his due. I know some of you must have been seething to see that show since he ruined Star Wars for you but I think he's a pretty cool dude. A bit odd at times lol but I respect him.

Ewan, Natalie, and Hayden - would have been nice to see them there or at least video interviews of them in a few segments but with that Dinosaur Reunion of Carrie, Mark, and Harry up there, how could they top that ? lol lol lol lol lol

CaptainSolo1138
06-21-2005, 09:09 AM
how could they top that ?
Three words: Howard the Duck.

:D

JimJamBonds
06-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Ewan, Natalie, and Hayden - would have been nice to see them there or at least video interviews of them in a few segments but with that Dinosaur Reunion of Carrie, Mark, and Harry up there, how could they top that ? lol lol lol lol lol

That would have been awesome because those humps did such a great job with their "Sorry we can't be at Celebration III but I hope you are having a great time!" video's. :crazed:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2005, 10:30 AM
I originally thought "two hours? How're they gonna fill two hours and not make it a drag?" Well, since the early parts were on his pre-film life, USC, THX, and American G., by the time "that science fiction movie" showed up, it was fine.

I thought Carrie Fisher was great. She might actually have written her own stuff.

Harrison seemed a little more loose than I'd seen him recently. But why did he get the Bib Fortuna role next to Lucas? John Williams next to George, okay. But what has Ford done to deserve such lofty status (tap, tap on shoulder) Huh? Oh, that movie? And those ones? That, too? Oh, okay. No problem now. :D

Do you think that was Anthony Daniels and Peter Mayhew in their costumes? Franz Oz as at least the voice of Yoda might've been cool somewhere.

So, Tom Hanks is an uber-fan, eh? He knew all that dialogue "by heart." ;)

I noted that they hardly mentioned Tucker, Radioland Murders, Young IJ Chronicles. Howard the Duck and Willow got a little play.

Overall, I liked it. Worth staying up past my bedtime. :p

2-1B
06-21-2005, 12:39 PM
No, it wasn't Daniels in the Threepio costume or else they would have had him speak.

No, it wasn't Mayhew in the yak hair suit because Chewie didn't have those patented Mayhew "acting" moves. lol

Carrie did write a good speech, I agree, it was just that her performance was tasteless (I thought) and she was behaving as if they just pulled her out of a dumpster. :D

JediTricks
06-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Great show, very entertaining. Carrie Fisher ruled, and I loved that line by Harrison Ford bookending his classic phrase about how Lucas could type that **** but couldn't say it, by pointing out he was talking about the screenplay on which Lucas got an Oscar nod. Seeing Lucas interact with his kids watching Maroon5 and their family photos was really great, that right there said more about his character than a room full of millionaires and celebrities. Lucas's comments at the end were pretty good, I especially liked how he thanked his late mother for building him up to do anything and then kinda mock-thanked his dad for making sure his mom didn't overinflate the promise-balloon.

I originally thought "two hours? How're they gonna fill two hours and not make it a drag?" Well, since the early parts were on his pre-film life, USC, THX, and American G., by the time "that science fiction movie" showed up, it was fine. I thought the same thing, how will they pad this, but by the end I felt myself wanting more. They put too many clips in like I was afraid of, but at least most had comments and felt right in place. The stuff on early Lucas was interesting, I found it funny that in that short period where he was in his late teens to his early 20s, he went from looking like a super dork to almost "handsome" simply by growing a beard. :D

Do you think that was Anthony Daniels and Peter Mayhew in their costumes? Franz Oz as at least the voice of Yoda might've been cool somewhere. Sadly not, though when Harrison Ford interacted friendly with Chewie for a sec, I secretly hoped it was Mayhew.

Carrie Fisher - what a classless pig. Go away.Dude, you have to be kidding, her bit was the most I've laughed in weeks, I really hope she wrote it because it was priceless and hilarious, Lucas seemed to find it funny too, especially that part near the end where she says her career has come down to doing speeches like this as they hurl award after award at the man. Her delivery was dead-on perfect, like right out of the classic Friar's Club Roasts of old

Rick McCallum - where were you ? And before one of you cracks wise about how he doesn't belong there, I present the following note:

Warren Beatty and Annette Benning - why were you on my TV screen how-many-times ? :confused: The Rick could have had a few of those shots. ;) Well, I guess when you're a talentless suck-up who has no career outside of Lucas's shadow, you don't get to go to the awards shows. :p

Bill Shatner - kind of decent intro, better than I expected. Pretty good job by him. I thought it was a great intro, loved seeing Lucas laugh at all the franchise jokes and Shatner really does bring a lot of life to the party.

George Lucas - nice to see a great man get his due. I know some of you must have been seething to see that show since he ruined Star Wars for you but I think he's a pretty cool dude. A bit odd at times lol but I respect him. Get his due??? He did that already, receieved a special Oscars lifetime achievement award 13 years ago, they had his Oscar on the freakin' space shuttle.

BTW, not trying to be crass, but Lucas's eldest daughter has gotten surprisingly cute in the last few years.

2-1B
06-22-2005, 12:45 AM
I loved that line by Harrison Ford bookending his classic phrase about how Lucas could type that **** but couldn't say it, by pointing out he was talking about the screenplay on which Lucas got an Oscar nod.

I liked that too. I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that George didn't exactly write that final script himself. ;) :D

Seeing Lucas interact with his kids watching Maroon5 and their family photos was really great, that right there said more about his character than a room full of millionaires and celebrities.

Agreed 100%.

Dude, you have to be kidding, her bit was the most I've laughed in weeks, I really hope she wrote it because it was priceless and hilarious,

Like I said, it was well written but the performance was sleazy with the whole "I'm an alcoholic" (yeah, we KNOW :rolleyes: ) yelling and sounding like she just gargled battery acid before she came onstage.

Lucas seemed to find it funny too

He also thought Jar Jar stepping in poo was funny as was C-3P0 slinging through the droid factory on Geonosis. lol lol lol

Well, I guess when you're a talentless suck-up who has no career outside of Lucas's shadow, you don't get to go to the awards shows.

Maybe, but it doesn't explain the overexposure of Beatty and Benning. lol lol lol

Get his due??? He did that already, receieved a special Oscars lifetime achievement award 13 years ago, they had his Oscar on the freakin' space shuttle.

Yeah, 13 years ago. Before the guy started getting beat up in almost every media piece I've read since 1999. ;)

BTW, not trying to be crass, but Lucas's eldest daughter has gotten surprisingly cute in the last few years.

It doesn't come across as crass, just respectful. :) So, you're talking about the one closest to George, right ? Amanda ? Obviously Jett was on the end, then I believe Katie (?) was in the middle (the one with her hair up, blond, I recognize her as the Blue senate girl from ROTS so that's why I'm pretty sure it's Katie in the middle) and then you would be talking about Amanda nearest to George, right ? I thought she looked cute as well. :)

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 02:41 AM
He also thought Jar Jar stepping in poo was funny as was C-3P0 slinging through the droid factory on Geonosis. lol lol lolWe don't know that, do we? He might have thought the audience would find it funny, but that doesn't necessarily means he found it funny. He does have an odd sense of humor though, he seems to like jokes that are abstract within their surroundings, like the heroes whistling through the halls of the Death Star and Lil' Flash Gordon at the Mos Eisley alley (thank you for cutting those scenes George).

Maybe, but it doesn't explain the overexposure of Beatty and Benning. lol lol lol They are famous outside of Lucas's shadow yet still attended the tribute. No idea why they got MORE screentime than anybody else though, ask the director, maybe he has a crush on the famous couple or something.

Yeah, 13 years ago. Before the guy started getting beat up in almost every media piece I've read since 1999. ;) Hey, he chose to monkey with the Star Wars trilogy and he chose to make the prequels despite them being not what Star Wars was about, he took the risks and perhaps, just perhaps, he's reaping what he sowed. The media has been fairly kind to Lucas too over the past decade, it's not all "the prequels suck and the special editions are horrid", there have been lots of pro-Lucas pieces too, it's just that we seem to remember the negative far more as a group. That 60 Minutes piece was pretty complimentary for example, and they mainly dedicated half their show to Lucas so he could sell his next prequel a little bit more.

It doesn't come across as crass, just respectful. :) So, you're talking about the one closest to George, right ? Amanda ? Obviously Jett was on the end, then I believe Katie (?) was in the middle (the one with her hair up, blond, I recognize her as the Blue senate girl from ROTS so that's why I'm pretty sure it's Katie in the middle) and then you would be talking about Amanda nearest to George, right ? I thought she looked cute as well. :) Amanda, yes, the one closest to George. They were separated by Spielberg IIRC. She's become quite the attractive young lady of late - I know, I know, she's in her mid-20s, only a few years younger than me, so not a "young lady" to me. :p

2-1B
06-22-2005, 02:58 AM
They are famous outside of Lucas's shadow yet still attended the tribute.

Yeah, that's just it though, as far as I could tell they were the ONLY people shown repeated who existed outside of Lucas' "shadow." Robert Duval, Cindy Williams, Steven Spielberg, and the like all had ties to Lucas even though they had nothing to do with Star Wars.

I found myself sitting there enjoying the show and I kept thinking to myself, "what the hell do these people (WB and AB) have to do with Lucas ? :confused: Am I forgetting a movie or something that they were in ? :confused: " I thought maybe somebody could correct me and point to a film one of them did that was produced by Lucas . . .

InsaneJediGirl
06-27-2005, 08:36 PM
I enjoyed the show,but had to turn it when Maroon 5 came on and forgot all about it.The only part I didnt get,is why they were singing "SHE will be loved".Then again,I only saw the commerical clips :)

A good show,but I'm with Cae on Carrie Fisher.I'm tired of hearing about how Star Wars ruined her life,although some of her jokes not aimed at her life totally being ruined were actually funny. Also nice to see the Intergalactic Pimp Lando show up as well :D