PDA

View Full Version : PAC MAN turns 25

mabudonicus
06-15-2005, 05:41 PM
WHEEEEEE PAC MAN is 25!!!!!
Gotta wonder how many folks ever actually beat PAC MAN.... I know at least ONE dude did a couple of years back but how many people wordwide can say "I beat PACMAN"
THAT would be sweet

As it was, PACMAN was truly an awesome game and in some ways this very section of SSG may not exist without him, so he deserves our respect. I sort of can't actually believe it's been that long....

But anyways, post any PACMAN related reminiscences or whatever here- I have to try and recall but I know I have a couple good ones :beard:

Lord Malakite
06-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Technically you can't beat Pac-Man Mabudon as it dosen't have an ending. :D You'll have to settle for a perfect score of 3333360, which to date, has only been achieved by one Billy Mitchell. ;)

Exhaust Port
06-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Didn't he basically play it until the computers memory crashed? I read an article about him a while ago that gave the details of his triumph. Due to the slow decay of the memory he ended up playing the last few levels from memory as the screen wasn't readible.

2-1B
06-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Tonight I dine on flashing ghosts in his honor. :beard:

mabudonicus
06-16-2005, 07:14 AM
hmmm... I knew that was the guy and that he played a perfect game- I was under the impression that the game crashed at the end so what you said (ExP) sounds about right- hell I can't beat "the tube" with both my eyes open I can't imagine playing "Blind" :crazed:
And good one Caesar- make sure they just started flashing, though, wouldn't want you to deflate and lose a man :D

2-1B
06-16-2005, 10:54 AM
No worries, I'm a fast eater. :D

Kidhuman
06-16-2005, 11:02 AM
I always hated Atari Pac-Man

mabudonicus
06-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Heck yeah, Atari should have sued themselves for that game- can't remember but someonw brought that up in the "most disappointing" thread and it certainly deserves a spot (or is that a "dot" ;)) on the all time top 5 most craptacular games in history

you didn't even have to look at the thing, the awful sound alone was more than enough evidence of a true stinker

JediTricks
06-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Namco should have sued Atari, but I think they were just happy to see console money. Fools. Or maybe they insisted it be terrible so Pac-Maniacs would leave their homes after buying the game and find it lacking to dump quarters into the machines.

Kidhuman
06-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Heck yeah, Atari should have sued themselves for that game- can't remember but someonw brought that up in the "most disappointing" thread and it certainly deserves a spot (or is that a "dot" ;)) on the all time top 5 most craptacular games in history

you didn't even have to look at the thing, the awful sound alone was more than enough evidence of a true stinker

LMAO, that game sucked a monkeys nipple. I played it over and over. I think ,y favorite sound effect was eationg what was supposed to be the fruit/pretzel combo. Just a long booooooooop

2-1B
06-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Jeez, the majority of my exposure to Pac-Man was through Atari. :confused:

Lord Malakite
06-18-2005, 07:00 AM
Here is a little bit of Pac-Man trivia to celebrate the occasion.

The idea of Pac-Man was originally conceived after looking at a pizza with a slice missing from it.

Pac-Man was first introduced in Japan in the autumn of 1980 where it went by the name Puck-Man. The name change from Puck-Man to Pac-Man in the US was said to be partially motivated out of a desire to avoid the obvious verbal vandalism that Americans could inflict upon the game cabinets. lol

The ghosts' official US names are Shadow, Speedy, Bashful, and Pokey. However they are more commonly known by their fan nicknames of Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde.

mabudonicus
06-18-2005, 08:20 AM
You must have really loved Pac Man Caesar, so don't despair - I couldn't accept him in his console form until the atari computers started coming out :beard:
JT- Yes, right- I forgot about the fact that Namco was responsible originally, but your theory makes sense- it does seem like the game was made worse than it had to be even on the 4-bit system (as games like pressure cooker and megaforce later showed)

KH- the sounds were kinda hilarious actually, if you just take them for what they were- that "baump-baump-ba-baump-baump-baump" sounds he made when eating the dots and that "Dooo-de-doooDEEEP" when he ate the power pellets and even the death-sound were funny in a parody kind of way- I don't recall the "boooop" but then I don't know if I ever played it long enough to even eat a fruit

But as for memories- I had a LOT of pac-man stuff like a raincoat (which had the graphics from the cabinet on it, pretty slick) and a ski-hat (we call them "toques" up here but I translated so you guys wouldn't get the wrong idea) which I still wear

And them damn "scratch card" games, where you got like on sticker and 3 "game cards"
My mom hated them things so much that I had to hide them from her if I bought them, and I fully understand why- it was like some genius plan- kids couldn't win lottery games or buy tickets, so they just took the possibility of prizes out of the mix and sold kids absolutely worthless scratch-tickets

And I don't know if anyone here recalls the TV show too well, but it was interesting- so many "questionable" things

OH and what about that suck-tastic boardgame?? THAT was worse than Atari Pacman for certain- them crappily moulded pac-men, the hollow tin board which you could easily destroy simply by playing the game the way it was intended, the weird suggestive shape of the ghosts, the difficulties of keeping enough marbles to even set the board up- it was like mousetrap as far as frustration and set-up, but somehow even less fun

Never got to try Pacman cereal (OR C3POs for that matter but that's another thread altogether) but I assume it was pretty unremarkable

I keep joking that I want to make either Pacman or Burgertime into a new Kevin Costner Drama, but it might never actually happen :beard:

Kidhuman
06-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Mabs, the wanna be fruit was the big thing that appeared under the ghost housing. It was a super dot looking thing.

mabudonicus
06-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Oh yeah, now I remember, which is too bad since it appears I'd actually forgotten about it :beard:
Thanks for the memory bump KH

CaptainSolo1138
06-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Dear, sweet Pac-Man. I love and still play "Namco Museaum" for the PS2. "Pac-Attack" is one of the most addicitive games ever.