PDA

View Full Version : Did the Space Battle work for you?

Exhaust Port
06-15-2005, 07:48 PM
First, I really liked the opening space battle BUT.........

Unlike the previous large space battles the ROTS battle included the Kenobi/Skywalker subplot where the deal with those small robots attacking their spaceships. At first I didn't mind it and liked the interaction between the 2 Jedi but during the second viewing I found that it took away from the scale of the battle. It did nothing to advance the story. At the end of the sequence they just continue along towards the Generals command ship.

I don't really care for the small robots attacking the fighters either. It would make more sense to me to send a swarm of these at a large ship rather than trying to knock out only a hand full of fighters. They are kind of a cool idea and would have been more acceptible in my opinion if they made an appearance but weren't a plot device.

JediTricks
06-15-2005, 09:09 PM
For me, it didn't work for me at all, we get this long series of shots of the 2 Jedi Starfighters flying basically straight and not really doing anything, I suppose we're supposed to notice this huge battle in the background between the capital ships but I really didn't get much of a feel for that because the focus was on the "hero" ships which moved the CG camera around so much. Then, the hero ships don't actually engage the enemy, we don't get much of a view of the Separatists' small fighter ships engaged in this battle, and the clone support craft are easily destroyed with barely a chance for us to look at 'em. Then we finally get the hero ships to do something but it's only evading missiles which wasn't that interesting to me. Finally, we get the silliness of the buzz droids that you articulated fairly well, I'll only add that this segment also detracts from the sense of speed we had with the Jedi Starfighters up until then.

2-1B
06-15-2005, 11:47 PM
It worked for me. I loved that it didn't focus on the big overall battle but rather Kenobi and Skywalker on their run toward the Flagship. I thought the use of the ARC fighters was done pretty well, we didn't see much of them but that fit into the storyline since they were basically decoy fodder for the battle (Anakin wants to go help them out but Obi-Wan says "No, no, they are doing their job so we can do ours." 11 viewings so far and the buzz droids are still cool to me.

I read an opinion somewhere else that the ROTS space battle was disappointing because it wasn't bigger than ROTJ but I do not feel that way because ROTJ had a more epic scope to it with the DS2 run whereas in ROTS they aren't trying to destroy anything but rather run a gauntlet inside to ship to do a snatch and grab on the captive Chancellor.

:)

JimJamBonds
06-15-2005, 11:49 PM
I likes it!;) The first time I saw ROTS I was blown away by the sheer number of ships and the hugeness and depth of the battle (actually I still am). Could they have shown a bit more of the smaller craft going at it and a bit less of the capital ships hammering away at each other? Sure, but overall I like it. Perhaps they could have shown some smaller ship to ship engagements in the direct background but overall I'm pleased with it.

Kidhuman
06-16-2005, 12:46 AM
I liked it. I wish they would have shown more of the others fighting besides Obi-Wan and Anakin, but it was there mission, not a whole spectrum of a huge dog-fight like the ROTJ and ANH space fights. It works on different levels

Slicker
06-16-2005, 02:22 AM
It totally worked for me. I loved the depth of it where you could look somewhere and notice something going like the Venerator's that were docked with the Trade Federation ship and the kitchen sink (it's in the shot where the bottom of a Venerator gets hit with a projectile). It doesn't compare on any plain with ROTJ for me but definitely the best space battle in the PT.:)

Jek Porky 2002
06-16-2005, 03:06 AM
I just love the way that we pan down and nothing is really going on, we just get an arial view of that big cruiser and the drums at a bit of tension. Then we here the two Jedi fighters gradually coming in, we follow them for a while and then...

BANG!! Choas! We are in the middle of a huge battle and the film hasn't even got going yet.

I think it's a great opening, maybe we could have seen a little more, but all in all it doesn't dissapoint. I'm glad that it didn't out do the battle in ROTJ, we still need some surprises for when we get to the original films!

CaptainSolo1138
06-16-2005, 09:29 AM
and the drums
Are those drums? I though it sounded like far off concussions. Maybe it was both.

Anyway, back on topic, I think the battle is entertaining, but the Buzz droid sequence does slow the pace overall. And I'm glad this battle wasn't as big as the DS II battle over Endor. That battle couldn't be matched! Another problem I have with the opening battle is the HUGE amount of CG (that's my one gripe about the whole PT, but whatever...). I would love to see how cool that battle would look with models instead of cartoons (No, I don't mean Tyra Banks instead of Hong Kong Fooey. Good try, though :D ) That, IMO, is where the OT really outshines the PT. Even the SE Battle of Yavin, while still cool, lost something when they added to it.

Jek Porky 2002
06-16-2005, 09:41 AM
I agree with Captain Solo, models look so much more realistic than CG! There is far too much CG in the Prequals!

Oh and I don't know whether it is a drum or not, but it's a dramatic beat!