PDA

View Full Version : anybody else hate Hasbro's weathered product photos?

JediTricks
06-17-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm getting a little sick of seeing these ultra-weathered promo images of upcoming products on the Hasbro website lately, the packaging usually has it too, they're always done so they have amazing weathering when the actual toy usually has NONE.

Like 12" Grievous, that one is a major offender in this category, the dang Hasbro photo of the thing looks all gritty and greasy, but when you see the real toy it's totally plain plastic. Heck, that whole wave is totally guilty of this, here's their page for the first 3 12" figs with pictures comparing actual toy to the one they shot for promos:
http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/pl/newsID.CFE679E2-D56F-E112-40BDDEE7D407DA6F/page.news/dn/default.cfm
That Clonetrooper looks photoshopped that way, and where did all Sidious's face weathering go? He went from freaky creepy guy to little old lady with bad makeup.

Another one that comes to mind is the TRU-exclusive Anakin's Jedi Starfighter, look at the Hasbro photo:
http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/pl/newsID.C14BFBC0-D56F-E112-4966F389BE2537FC/page.news/dn/default.cfm
Looks awesome, right? Now look at how the toy REALLY appears:
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=11918&cat=3726
What the hell?!? Is this even supposed to be the same thing?!?

I know the prototypes usually have better paint, but I think that's not what's going on here, it's like ever since those weird photoshopped OTC 12" figure photos came out, Hasbro has been trying to pull a fast one on us. I think it's very annoying.

Kidhuman
06-17-2005, 09:20 PM
I agree, those 12" looked so good from initial pics, but looked like bird tird in the packaging. It might be to drum up interest in the product, or to help em sell better, but I am not duped by it. I have seen things look good in pics and poopy in person and vice versa. I have learned to save final decision for retail.

Fluke Skywalker
06-18-2005, 04:42 AM
Seeing those ROTS 12" figures in person was a real eye opener. Sids looked great in the photos but plain goofy up close. Tricksy Hasbro!

abell748
06-18-2005, 05:59 AM
The Hasbro pics for the Evolution and Battle Packs looks good also. I just hope that these do not suck when we get to see them for real. Although, if the Evolution are just like what was at CIII, then they rock. Right now I think Hasbro has put everyone in a wait and see mode. After the whole awesome 12" pics, then seeing them, I have taken that stance lately.

trandoshan666
06-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I hear you on this one JT. For me, the most disappointing example of this in ROTS stuff has been the deluxe operating table Vader. Vader's head looked so good in the promos I saw, but in actuality, the paint job is pretty bland. I've passed on some of the other stuff that has been mentioned here for this reason, but I bought the Vader anyway.

dindae
06-20-2005, 08:42 AM
I don't know that it is better paint or a little photoshop touch-up but it is definately a shame. I guess Hasbro figures if they get us looking we will be so happy we found it that we will buy it before we take a good look and realize its not what we were thinking it was. Abell748 I wouldn't put to much hope into those battle packs. Everything I've heard about these things has led me to believe these will be straight up repacks (aside from Obi in clone armor). The evolution figures look good though.

Psi-Clon Yung
06-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Yeah I think that's the whole point: Make it look better than it is, so that we spend the big bucks on it. I just picked up a clone trooper 3-pack, and when I saw the photo on the package it looked like the trooper in the laying position could pick his head up 90 degrees, but when i got it home I was disappointed to find that he can only swivel his head side to side. This pretty much makes him look scared to look at what he's shooting at or makes him look dead.

ROTJLuke
06-20-2005, 04:41 PM
its all about the money for every f**kin corporation...they do that w/ the 3'3"4 figs too...

El Chuxter
06-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Check out the Force Battler Grievous; he's another major offender.

Remember the early pics of the 12" VOTC Luke? I said (and I think many others did as well) that it looked to be the bestest 12" figure ever! That piece of crap is still warming shelves almost a year later, because it turns out to be the worst 12" figure ever!

Or that new 12" Barriss Offee? She's not a bad figure, but when I saw the initial pics from Hasbro, I was seriously worried that, immediately upon finding her in a store, I'd get down on one knee, propose marriage to an action figure, and look like the biggest idiot in the Wal-Mart. (And that's no small feat!) :crazed:

ronhudy
06-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Remember the early pics of the 12" VOTC Luke? I said (and I think many others did as well) that it looked to be the bestest 12" figure ever! That piece of crap is still warming shelves almost a year later, because it turns out to be the worst 12" figure ever!

100% in agreement here...look at that pic of the 12" Grievous, too. There's NO WAY you're gonna get him to stand in that pose. My son got one, and after 10 minutes of cutting, untwisting, and unwrapping, it was pretty disappointing to watch him fall on his ***!

Rocketboy
06-20-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm getting a little sick of seeing these ultra-weathered promo images of upcoming products on the Hasbro website lately, the packaging usually has it too, they're always done so they have amazing weathering when the actual toy usually has NONE.

Like 12" Grievous, that one is a major offender in this category, the dang Hasbro photo of the thing looks all gritty and greasy, but when you see the real toy it's totally plain plastic. Heck, that whole wave is totally guilty of this, here's their page for the first 3 12" figs with pictures comparing actual toy to the one they shot for promos:
http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/pl/newsID.CFE679E2-D56F-E112-40BDDEE7D407DA6F/page.news/dn/default.cfm
That Clonetrooper looks photoshopped that way, Well, it shouldn't be much of a surprise since the actual, packaged craptastic version is right next to it.

and where did all Sidious's face weathering go? He went from freaky creepy guy to little old lady with bad makeup.At least that way it's movie accurate! :D

JediTricks
06-21-2005, 01:20 AM
The Hasbro pics for the Evolution and Battle Packs looks good also. I just hope that these do not suck when we get to see them for real.Yeah, the photos we've seen of the Battle Packs look like they are right up this thread's alley, good call. They look to be some of the worst examples of this problem, I can't even tell how some of those figures actually look.

Well, it shouldn't be much of a surprise since the actual, packaged craptastic version is right next to it. I never said it was a surprise, just that I'm sick of seeing them do this. Like the Clone 3pack that Psi-Clon mentioned, when we first saw the photo of that I thought it looked new and cool, then a second later I applied my mental "reality filter" and realized it was just the CW 3pack again with new helmets and their fancy phoney paint job.

Devo
06-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Other non-ROTS offenders - the POTF2 Y-wing had much cooler looking wear and tear on the box and in promo photos than the actual toy had. And also the OTC Falcon. On the box its dirty grey - out of the box the thing is white and shiny.

ROTJLuke
06-22-2005, 02:32 PM
gotta love it...:ermm: