PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: Power Droid

LusiferSam
06-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Rounding out the last of the SW line droids is the Power Droid (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=6679&cat=3335). More commonly referred to as the 'Gonk Droid' these days, the Power Droid was first released on a 20 back card in 1979. It featured clicking legs as its 'action feature' and came with no accessories. There are no major variations to the Power Droid. Available until the end of the line in 1985 the Power Droid can be found on most major types of card backs 20 and higher, but the POTF card.

The Power Droid to me has always been on of those odd figures that I'm not sure why Kenner made. It pretty dull and boring to me. What does a Power Droid do any way? Go to the EU all you want, I've had my fill thank you. I'd say the figure looks pretty accurate to what little it's seen in the movie. Other than that I'd have much to judge it on. It might have been neat if the legs gonked rather than clicked, but I'm not sure how you would do that.

This was one of those figures I didn't really want as a kid (but would have played with if I had been given one). But after leaning that Sears had a dungeon playset I really wanted both the figure (to torture) and the playset (as the place of torture).

Fluke Skywalker
06-21-2005, 04:40 AM
This guy's so unique looking that ya gotta love him. Not much play value, but for the vintage SW collector, I think he's a pretty neat little figure.

vader121
06-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Good ole Walking TV figure wasn't one of my favorites. I did have one but it wasn't played with too much. Couldn't even use it as a cannon like R5 and R2.

I beleive Kenner simply made this figure to try and capitalize on the robot craze of the 70's. Kids liked robots but this one was pretty lame as it had no arms and you only could make it walk and click. After 5 mins of that you've had enough so it wasn't one of the best for sure.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Good ole Walking TV figure wasn't one of my favorites. I did have one but it wasn't played with too much. Couldn't even use it as a cannon like R5 and R2.We used it as a hovercraft for little figures like Snaggletooth or Jawa. Flip it upside down, move the legs to the back, put the "eye" in the front as a laser cannon. Wah la!

This was just good for the leg sound effect. I recall someone's clicking finally going out and it seldom got played with after then. I also remember that the "face" sticker came off after water play (see other posts in other threads about the fun of swimming pools and bathtubs with SW figures) it was just a blue/grey box. I give PD an "eh." :ermm:

mabudonicus
06-22-2005, 08:37 PM
I must admit I was SO stoked to get this figure and whe I finally did I wasn't disappointed..
I recall my mom making a huge deal about how it cost two dollars or something like that and how there was nothing to it, but for some reason, even though I could not for the life of me recall him from the film clearly, I flatout LOVED the little fellow and still do to this day, for some reason...

I think it was how he was so "unique" especially with the more "linear" figures that had been released to that time (like I remember thinking Han was AWESOME cos his elbow was bent?!?!? and I'm not alone no doubt) and he kinda had "expressions" depending on how you angled him- great little buddy for R2 and R5
:beard:

Kidhuman
07-19-2005, 02:11 AM
I used to love to move his legs and here that sound. I never knew what the hell he was used for. I lost the plastic vent on his head though