PDA

View Full Version : Vader and The Force

Rebo's_Guitarist
06-21-2005, 09:42 AM
So, its been discussed that Vader cant use force lightning because of his mechanical hands. Well why can he still use a force choke, or any force at all for that matter? You even see it in ROTS when he chokes Padmem and he is using his mech hand (...right?) Wouldnt it make sense that if he couldnt do one thing he couldnt do anything? Maybe I missed something.....

Slicker
06-21-2005, 10:06 AM
I figured the reason why he couldn't do force lightening is because Vader is mechanical and he'd over fry his circuits if he used it. *shrugs*

Rebo's_Guitarist
06-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Yeah I guess that makes sense. I thought that it was the fact that he just couldnt conjur it up, but I never thought of it like that........

Slicker
06-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Well, you'd think that with intergalactic travel and all they could invent some electronics that wouldn't short out. *shrug again*

CaptainSolo1138
06-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Well why can he still use a force choke, or any force at all for that matter?
In a recent issue of the Insider they talked about how raising a fist or a hand was simply a motion the user makes while performing whatever force thingamajig. The force doesn't use the hand/arm as a conduit to choke a b**ch. It's more of a symbolic gesture.

El Chuxter
06-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Exactly. But for some reason, the arm is actually used when creating Sith lightning. Therefore Vader cannot use this trick, unless he did it off-camera prior to his little failed stunt on Mustafar.

Rocketboy
06-21-2005, 03:55 PM
He can choke with out using his hand.
Look at A New Hope, he chokes Matti without using his hands (well, he starts using his hands).
Plus, in Empire, he chokes Piett without lifting a glove.

Sith Lord 0498
06-21-2005, 06:07 PM
The difference is this: Force lightning needs to use the body as a conduit as it is a physical manisfestation of the Force. Hence, Vader would short circuit his life support system if he used it. It's not that he can't conjure lightning. It's a matter of doing would be suicide. Look at what happened when he took the brunt of Sidious' lightning in Episode VI.

Force chokes, on the other hand, are non-physical manifestations of Force powers. It's more telekinetic ("mind over matter") in nature, and thereforce only needs the mind so to speak in order to conjure it. The gesture is symbolic.

shammykenobi
06-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Vader never choked Piett in ESB. He choked Neta and Ozzel. And you're right...he did it without using his hands.

Rocketboy
06-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Vader never choked Piett in ESB. He choked Neta and Ozzel. And you're right...he did it without using his hands.I figured I had the wrong name there.

Imperials...they all look alike. :D