PDA

View Full Version : ROTS Ships

Kidhuman
06-21-2005, 11:41 AM
I dont know about anyone else, but the vehicles released with ROTS blow away the ones released from AOTC. SO far we have gotten:

Arc-170
Greivous Wheelbike
3 Starfighters(whopppppeeeeeeeeeee :rolleyes: )
Droid Tri-Fighter
Wookie Copter
BARC Speeder
AT-RT
Gunship

There are probably some I am missing

But with AOTC we got

Starfighter
2 speeders
Slave1

(possibly more I forgot)

My point being that AOTC were lame. I only bought SLave1 because I never got it as a kid. So far with ROTS I have gotten the WHeelbike, Dorid fighter and the ARC-170. These are far more superior than AOTC. Why cant Hasbro be consistent? Make a good quality on all lines.

acave
06-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Has anyone found the Wookie Copter yet

Kidhuman
06-22-2005, 01:13 AM
Yes, It was found in LA

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 02:08 AM
I got the Wookiee Flyer here in LA at Target thanks to Figrin Bran, will do a text review tomorrow.

The Ep 2 line was the birthplace of the Republic Gunship KH.

As for Ep 2 versus Ep 3 vehicle toys, I would call it a draw:

AOTC - the Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter and Republic Gunship were pretty decent and nifty, Slave 1 was good if not great, the cut-scene Speederbike is quite nice even if it has standing issues, and the speeders were nice looking and fun toys but sucky for figure interaction.

ROTS - the Ep 3 Jedi Starfighter is alright but a little too soft of a sculpt and the overall lines are out of scale, the ARC-170 is big but soft and out of scale and the wings don't open that well so it's kinda "decent but not great" territory, the Wheelbike is neat but not very accurate and the wheel's "teeth" get warped when displayed in wheel config, the Droid Tri-Fighter is pretty neat and fairly accurate as is the Wookiee Flyer, the AT-RT is ok but has some not-fun issues, and the BARC Speeder that comes with Stass Allie is kinda "meh" with a bland and sparse paintjob and claimed features that don't exist and parts that don't fit right and soft elements (I don't have the ripcord version, but it looks like a sharper sculpt). I think that's all the vehicles, which means that unfortunately, I just realized I have all the vehicles in some form. :p

Kidhuman
06-22-2005, 11:06 AM
True, the gunship originated in AOTC, I dont know why I didnt put it there as well. It has been re-hashed multiple times. AOTC/CW also brought us the Halfire Droid. I do consider it a vehicle due to its size and cost. Upon initial releases with the line, the ROTS has more and better IMO. Zams and Ani's speeders were mediocre at best to me. I passsed on those even on clearance prices. The Gunship is nice, but I havent seen any except at a TRU and they wanted 40 bucks for it, three years after initial release. I dont know if it is the price points of ROTS vehicles that make it worth the money as compared to AOTC, but ROTS' are much better. It could be the variety that makes em better, I dont know, but like I said, these seem much much better to me. TPM had alot of vehicles as well, maybe Hasbro relaizes this is the last shot for new stuff then we get rehashes from here on out of the Falcon, X-WIng and TIES and dare I say the Gunship, which has seen more releases to anything sans Cantina Han. :p

Slicker
06-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Another vehicle you could maybe add to the AOTC list would be the Genosian fighter but that came out much later. As for initial release, you're correct KH, ROTS completely and utterly blew AOTC away.

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 08:56 PM
The only reason I didn't factor in the Hailfire Droid or Geonosian Fighter is because they were released in the Clone Wars line and not Saga, they're both pretty good though (even though they have their share of flaws, my Geo Fighter is still melty). But you're right, they're AOTC releases and should be mentioned here, the Hailfire Droid is good but a bit too narrow and doesn't roll that well, picking up its missiles is a pain. The Geonosian Fighter has screw hole problems and the nose parts droop badly, but it's got a nifty figure and an interesting and accurate design, and even a silly extra feature that's not too bad.

I forgot 2 more AOTC releases, Anakin on Swoop Bike and Dooku on Speederbike. Dooku's Speederbike is alright, not that great but not horrible, overpriced and hollow though. Anakin's Swoop though is pretty darn nice, and if you slap the cloak from the Secret Ceremony Anakin on him it's a very cool looking display piece.

Devo
06-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Arc-170 Don't have this yet but I don't think it looks great from some angles and play and displaywise I don't think it will match the Republic gunship
Greivous Wheelbike Decently realised vehicle, shame about the seat being on the wrong side, the crappy pack-in figure and the inability of any Grievous figure to sit comfortably on it
3 Starfighters(whopppppeeeeeeeeeee :rolleyes: ) An inferior ship design to its AOTC equivalent but good nonetheless. Reasonably accurate in scale and, like the AOTC ship, good for building an armada of different coloured jedi ships
Droid Tri-Fighter A stupid, overly colourful, non-StarWarsy looking vehicle by my reckoning, I passed on it based on this alone - I don't imagine it being good as a play and display piece
Wookie Copter Haven't seen anywhere nor seen any pictures to make a judgement
BARC Speeder Nothing to write home about in any department as far as I'm concerned. Might buy it if I can't find anything else to satiate my toy cravings but I'm not pushed
AT-RT likewise
Gunship I wouldn't call this an ROTS vehicle

There are probably some I am missing

But with AOTC we got

Starfighter Cool looking ship, accurately realised in toy form with a non-movie feature thats actually really cool. I'd buy as many repaints as they put out
2 speeders They look good and are nicely detailed but they were scaled down beyond necessity so that figures, if you can fit them at all, look really squashed and uncomfortable
Slave1 A ship that really doesn't suit the "starfighter" size range. Its OK and has good play features in its concealed weapons but it has no loading/access ramp like in the film which in this size we couldn't expect it to - but thats a shame

Republic Gunship - One of the coolest looking vehicles in any Star Wars film and arguably the coolest toy in the entire range of vehicles in the Star Wars line - I'd buy all the repaints if not for space constraints and my inability to find Clones to fit them

Hailfire Droid - really interesting and in my opinion - cool - vehicle. For once projectile missiles are a required feature in the name of accuracy

Geonosian Starfighter - don't have it but it looks good

Dooku's Speeder and Anakin's Speeder - Again I don't have these but I wish I did.

So, I disagree with Kidhuman. So far I think AOTC had the better line of vehicles.

Kidhuman
06-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Swoop bikes to me are just plain old modified speeder bikes. You could also then add in the clone trooper on speeder bike if you want to count the hailfire and Geo fighter.

JediTricks
06-24-2005, 01:59 AM
Swoop bikes to me are just plain old modified speeder bikes. You could also then add in the clone trooper on speeder bike if you want to count the hailfire and Geo fighter.
I did already. :D

You counted the BARC Speeder in your opening post, why wouldn't the AOTC line count the speederbikes it had?

---

Let's do an "original molds created for" list with all the additions we've come up with:

**AOTC**

Jedi Starfighter (Delta-7 Aethersprite)
Anakin's Coruscant Speeder
Zam Wesell's Speeder
Slave I
Republic Gunship
Clone Trooper Speederbike
Anakin Swoop
Tyrannus Speederbike
Hailfire Droid
Geonosian Fighter
**ROTS**

Jedi Starfighter (Eta-2 Actis Interceptor)
Grievous's Wheelbike
ARC-170
Droid Tri-Fighter
Wookiee Flyer
AT-RT
BARC Speeder (ripcord version & Stass Allie version)
I'm not counting the ROTS Republic Gunship or Plo's Jedi Starfighter because those are Ep 2 molds; I'm not counting the deluxe carded droids such as the Crab, Spider or Vulture droids because they're not vehicles or vehicle-sized.

Kidhuman
06-24-2005, 02:29 AM
Sould the Boga be on there, or would you call it a Beast? Afterall it was used for transportation. I have been contemplating this one

JediTricks
06-24-2005, 02:52 AM
I always separate beasts from vehicles because of the technological aspect. Originally, beasts/creatures were their own separate sub-lines, but eventually Hasbro realized that those creature-only cases were bombing and integrated them into the vehicles sub-line. Plus, they are sorta characters where the droids we listed here are more vehicle-like, so I apply the question to the example "where would you put something like Jabba if he were in this line?" and he'd definitely not be a vehicle, hence neither are other beasts. If we were counting beasts in this category, and you certainly can if you want to, I would suggest adding those deluxe carded droids I mentioned since they're more character-like without being humanoid-automatons the way Battle Droids and protocol droids are.

In fact, here would be that list...

**AOTC**

Nexu
Acklay
Reek
Dwarf Spider Droid

**ROTS**

Boga
Crab Droid
Vulture Droid

Dark Marble
06-24-2005, 10:27 AM
It is always cool to see what other fans and collectors think about their toys, and what catagories they put them in. I have always thought of Jabba as a figure, a really big figure but still just a deluxe figure and not really a beast.

I also wouldn't think of the hailfire droid as a vehicle. Yes it is vehicle sized but no one can ride on or in it. But where would it belong in classification? A beast perhaps, or a figure? Overall I believe this, if the hailfire droid is a vehicle, the vulture droid would also have to be a vehicle strictly based on their function, not their size.

In my opinion, I would consider the hailfire droid, vulture droid, crab droid, and spider droid to be figures. But I am just another collector with a certain point of view.

Kidhuman
06-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Dark Marble, yes it is to each his own when it comes to classifying their personal collection. I think of Jabba as a beast. I think of the Hailfire as a Vehicle, even though no one can ride in it. The Crab, Spider, Vulture and Buzz Droids all fall to droids. Size does play into it for me when classifying them.

The Boga to me can go to either category. It is like the Ronto, Dewback and others that are used for transportation. They are beasts, but useful ones.

spang2005
06-24-2005, 03:54 PM
The last time I bought a ship it was the Episode 1 line, and I got them all. After that, I had myself convinced that I wasn't going to buy any more ships. I completely passed on all the AOTC ships, but jsut today I went out and bought my first ship in about 4 years. I picked up Obi-Wan's starfighter, and man is it sweet. I realized it's not that Ihad "Grown out" of the ships, it was just that the AOTC ships were so bad, I just ignored them. Now I can't wait to go out and get the rest of the ROTS ships.

Slicker
06-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm not counting the ROTS Republic Gunship or Plo's Jedi Starfighter because those are Ep 2 molds; I'm not counting the deluxe carded droids such as the Crab, Spider or Vulture droids because they're not vehicles or vehicle-sized.I was wonderin' if you were gonna count these or not JT. I don't like the fact that these are packaged like Deluxe figs. It cuts down on the price point but I'd have rather had them in a multi pack like the 3 pack of Droid fighters for TPM. Maybe it's just me.

JediTricks
06-26-2005, 07:13 PM
I was wonderin' if you were gonna count these or not JT. I don't like the fact that these are packaged like Deluxe figs. It cuts down on the price point but I'd have rather had them in a multi pack like the 3 pack of Droid fighters for TPM. Maybe it's just me.
I would rather have them better made toys ;) but I still wouldn't have thought of them as vehicles, though if they had done a 3pack like you suggested, I would have been a bit more likely. Your idea for a 3pack would be cool if they could also do it as a window box. The crab droid definitely is deluxe carded material though I think, it's only the size of a clone trooper in the movie and wouldn't be enough to be anything else; I remember when I bought the Ep 1 Droid Starfighter set, I was incredibly disappointed with the whole thing because it was just not $20 worth of product - vehicle or otherwise.