PDA

View Full Version : It's been a month, do you plan on seeing Ep 3 again in theaters?

JediTricks
06-21-2005, 10:11 PM
It's been just over a month since Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith was released into theaters across the globe, and while some theaters still are playing the movie, others have moved on to newer releases. Although Star Wars has been a strong box office performer, the movie industry overall has been performing under expectations and is going through its 17th week in a slump. So, after a month and now with less venues to choose from, will Star Wars fans be willing or even able to return to the box office before the movie leaves theaters altogether?

VaderhitsJarjar
06-21-2005, 10:20 PM
I almost went to see it a second time Monday night but went to Target instead.

bobafrett
06-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I just hope it's still at one of the few digital theatres in my area.

2-1B
06-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Of course I will, in fact I'll be going again this weekend and PROBABLY once a week for awhile yet . . . most likely until the first week of August like I did for AOTC.

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 01:50 AM
I was going to see it again at my local theater, the independent historic Vista, since they are right down the street and have good ticket prices (great matinee prices) and I like supporting a local theater, but last week they moved on to Batman Begins so I will see that there instead. ;) Unfortunately, the only other theater in my area with ROTS is the Arclight which I don't like at all and is pricey so I won't be seeing it again. I suppose it's the best for the Vista, when the Mann Chinese theater wouldn't agree to Lucas's terms for TPM, the Vista snatched up the contract with the minimum exclusive 8-week run where they had to have showings at all normal hours (usually they don't have a noon or even 3 show during the week because of lack of interest) and when the Chinese theater signed on for a short stint (3 weeks or a month, I forget which exactly) at the last minute, the Vista got saddled with having to have staff on hand to screen TPM to virtually empty rooms at least twice a day every weekeday for 7 weeks (the first week had enough interest).

Slicker
06-22-2005, 01:52 AM
Hells yes I plan on seeing it again. I want to see it several more times in theaters before I get it on DVD.

2-1B
06-22-2005, 02:26 AM
JT, what are these ticket prices you speak of ?

Around here the usual matinee price is around $5.50 while evening shows run about $8.50 . . . give or take a half dollar depending on the theater.

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 03:06 AM
$4.75 for matinees, $8 for regular. Most other theater tix around here are $9 and up, very few have matinees anymore and the ones that do are around $7. The Arclight which still has ROTS is an upscale cinema-fan theater and is built around the Cinerama Dome, their tickets are $11 for matinee and $14 for regular - the seats are assigned seating so you can't just sit anywhere, the multiplex theaters are all THX-certified, the ushers do a little spiel for each show, and the concessions are a little extra "gourmet". Personally, I don't care for it there at all though.

trandoshan666
06-22-2005, 05:41 AM
My local theater just dumped it last week, so I'll I have to travel, but I plan on seeing it at least one more time.

JediBoulton
06-22-2005, 06:53 AM
YOU BET !! ~~~

After seeing George Lucas on AFI last evening -- I am looking to seeing it even more. I know there are at least 4 of my pals that are going to see it again.

Remember -- This might very well be the LAST time we get to do this :cry:

Count me in for at least 2 more times :D

OC47150
06-22-2005, 07:09 AM
At least two more times. I'd like to see it five times.

I wanted to see it at the drive-in but it didn't work out.

SNAYSON
06-22-2005, 09:06 AM
no. not at all. it's summer time and i have much better things to do than sit another 2+ hrs rewatching. Give me a copy of the DVD instead and i will watch it again.

Ryno
06-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Still can't get enough of it, especially since it's the last new film. Even after how many times any of us has seen it, is there anything better than (after 20 minutes of previews) hearing the 20th Century Fox Fan Fare and seeing Lucasfilm/ A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far Far Away?

Kidhuman
06-22-2005, 10:31 AM
I plan on seeing it again no doubt.

Ji'dai
06-22-2005, 11:33 AM
The movie is still playing here but I don't think I'm going to see it again. I saw it once on opening day so far but I'm not sure I can sit through it again so soon. I guess I'll wait until the DVD release.

CaptainSolo1138
06-22-2005, 11:44 AM
I want to see it again in the theater just to get "the full effect" one more time. Whether or not it happens remains to be seen, though.

jedi master sal
06-22-2005, 02:07 PM
This weekend is a SW weekend for me. I had to burn a personal day at work or lose it, due to our fiscal year starting in July. So I took Monday (June 27) off. So I plan on seeing it at least 2 times each day (Saturday, Sunday, Monday). I've already got 16 viewings in the theaters. My goal was 20. So, hopefully this weekend I will surpass that!

CaptainSolo1138
06-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Damn, Sal. That's dedication! :D

mastermatt24
06-22-2005, 09:10 PM
I might see it again with the gf in the regualr theater and then a couple more once it hits the dollar theater.

Rocketboy
06-22-2005, 09:41 PM
I'd REALLY like to, but I've already missed 2 movies I wanted to see opening weekend (and still haven't seen), and there are tons more around the corner.

JimJamBonds
06-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Heck yeah I'll see it again, hopefully tomorrow! I'd like to see it every week for as long as possible, since its the last SW I'm going a bit overboard with my viewings. :D

stillakid
06-22-2005, 11:05 PM
No. Saw it once opening day...a second time to see digital....and a third to take the children. That's more than enough for anyone.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-23-2005, 12:04 AM
I've seen it three times. I don't intend to see it again in the theaters unless I have a chance to see it at a digital theater, or if I go to see it with someone else.

jjreason
06-23-2005, 01:34 AM
I think I've got one viewing left in me. I've already seen ROTS more times in the theatre than both TPM and AOTC, but it still holds me pretty interested. I'm enjoying the "scavenger hunt" aspects more now, looking away from the primary action to see what little bits have been thrown into the movie for geeks like myself.

I'm not sure I can coax anyone I know into going again, so it might be a "solo" farewell to ROTS. Fitting, somehow.

megaprime33
06-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I probably won't see it again in the theaters. I've seen it twice and if I really wanted to I could get a bootleg from a friend of mind and watch it again and again in the comfort of my own home. If I end moving back to my home town, which looks like it may happen, then I may go to the town theater and see it for like 5 bucks. We'll see.

Hellboy
06-23-2005, 04:51 PM
For me, its hard to say. On the one hand I do want to see the movie again but all of the viewings I've seen to date were in another state playing in the Digital format and unfortunately I have no digital theaters in my area. I just remember going to see Ep 2 locally after seeing it digitally and thought it looked terrible on film. I found myself wishing I had just waited for the DVD release. I'm afraid the same thing will happen if I do decide to take in another viewing so I'm kind of on the fence at the moment. :neutral:

JediTricks
06-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Matt, as far as I know, one of Lucas's requirements on the prequels doesn't allow any to be shown in discount theaters, I remember that was a bone of contention when Ep 1 came out for sure.

2-1B
06-23-2005, 11:36 PM
I saw TPM at a discount theater but I don't remember if AOTC made it there . . . :confused:

I'll definitely go see it again this weekend, maybe even twice but I also need to see Land of the Dead and if possible, I'd like to squeeze in Batman somewhere.

JediTricks
06-24-2005, 01:19 AM
Did you see it at a US discount theater, or Canada or someplace else? I was, as usual, only thinking of the US when I made my last post. I think all theaters that showed the movie in the US had to be THX-compliant too, which also kept it out of certain levels of cinemas, like the crappy rooms in multiplexes.

2-1B
06-24-2005, 01:50 AM
JT, it was at the Budget 6 Cinema in Green Bay, WI, at 9:30pm on October 9th, 1999. I just got out my ticket stubs to double check that I did indeed see it at the Budget . . . 'cause after I posted I thought maybe I confused it with the December '99 re-release of the film (which I also attended).

I don't have any budget stubs for AOTC but that's not say it didn't play around here, I just assume that I wouldn't bother going to it in Sept / Oct considering the DVD was going to be out in November, unlike TPM which required a wait of about 11 months until April 2000, and that was just for VHS. lol So, after seeing AOTC twice on a hot day in August 2002, I put the movie to bed for a few months and waited for DVD.

:)

mastermatt24
06-24-2005, 02:05 AM
I wasnt origanaly going to see it there but my friend wants to see it some more and he mentioned waiting for the dollar theater. So i guess we'll just have to wait and see if it does come out.
I just thought of something- Lucas could be a real ***** and not put cut sceens on the dvd when it comes out- making us buy the big 6 pack one later.. I hope he dosent.. :nerv:

stillakid
06-24-2005, 06:52 AM
I'd like to squeeze in Batman somewhere.
:sur: :eek:

:smoker:

:cool:

outwest
06-24-2005, 09:22 PM
i won't see Ep III in the theater's again until the 3-D re-releases

stillakid
06-25-2005, 09:32 AM
i won't see Ep III in the theater's again until the 3-D re-releases
Yeah, it's the only version that will have some DEPTH. :D

JediTricks
06-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah, it's the only version that will have some DEPTH. :D
Haw! That was a good one Stilla, the special font made it really work. :D

So, has anybody actually gotten the film at a discount theater yet?

Mad Slanted Powers
06-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Haw! That was a good one Stilla, the special font made it really work. :D

So, has anybody actually gotten the film at a discount theater yet?
I don't know of any discount theaters here. Actually, between my second viewing on 5/20 and my third viewing on 6/11, the price for a matinee went up from 5.50 to 5.75.

2-1B
06-27-2005, 01:47 AM
Saw it again tonight, that makes a Baker's Dozen for me.

Around here it is still playing on 2 screens in each multiplex (some joints had it on 3 screens for the first 3 or 4 weeks) so if it will play at any budgets around here, it's not going to be for awhile.

Kidhuman
06-27-2005, 10:18 AM
JT, the second week it was out I went with the whole family. Was 4 bucks a ticket for the 8:45pm showing. Discount enoough?

Hellboy
06-27-2005, 02:59 PM
I did decide to take in another viewing this weekend bringing my total up to 5. :)

JediTricks
06-27-2005, 10:25 PM
JT, the second week it was out I went with the whole family. Was 4 bucks a ticket for the 8:45pm showing. Discount enoough?I dunno, was it in an actual discount theater? I mean like those $2.50 theaters where the theater is designed to be a cheaper place all the time.

Ji'dai
07-15-2005, 05:43 PM
ROTS has moved to the two discount theatres here. One theatre actually has a dollar matinee, then it goes up to three dollars after six pm. Heck, I may go back to see it again for a buck.

JediTricks
07-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Wow, that's crazy. Any idea if the theater is THX-approved? I know that's super unlikely for a discount theater, but still...

Ji'dai
07-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Nah, neither discount theatre is THX-certified. Actually there are no THX-certified theatres in my area. The two big multiplexes use Digital Theatre Sound (DTS) and/or Dolby Digital, but I would say the discount theatres, which are older, probably use basic Dolby stereo with mono surround sound.

JimJamBonds
07-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Over in my neck of the woods there is a discount theater that has one THX certified screen, ROTS hasn't gotten there yet when it does I plan on seeing it. Its down to 1 screen in Green Bay, I figure it might be hitting the discount theater soon which is fine since its cheap!

2-1B
08-17-2005, 02:52 AM
Jim Jam, I see Sith is making it's way to the Valley Value Budget in Appleton starting this weekend . . . no idea yet on the Silver Budget (is that what it's called, The Silver Cinema?) in Green Bay.

edit: yes it is called the Silver Cinema (I remember from that refillable mug I bought in 1998 and reloaded all summer) and sure enough, Sith starts there as well this weekend.

CaptainSolo1138
08-17-2005, 07:04 AM
"Sith" started at the budget theater in Saginaw, MI last weekend. It's kinda sad, actually. I may have to go pay my respects one last time.

2-1B
08-17-2005, 12:24 PM
But like I was telling Jimmer Jammer recently, the departure from theaters means we are closer to the DVD ! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Tonywankenobi
08-17-2005, 10:41 PM
I saw it 3 times the first month it was out and I saw it again in july with some other family members. Its just as fun as the first time I saw it.

JimJamBonds
08-17-2005, 11:27 PM
I would love to but its not in the area. :sad:

2-1B
08-18-2005, 01:52 AM
I would love to but its not in the area. :sad:

WTF are you talking about ? :confused:

kool-aid killer
08-18-2005, 10:49 AM
I want to see it two more times now that its in the cheapo theaters. My younger brother will more than likely tag along with me, since he loves Star Wars too. Bad popcorn, here i come!.......in a week or two.