PDA

View Full Version : Recent CD Purchases

evenflow
06-22-2005, 12:13 PM
SO what have you bought this past month, and what do you plan to get in July?

June:
Life of Agony - Broken Valley
Clutch - Robot Hive / Exodus
Brand New Sin - Recipe for Disaster
Dredg - Catch Without Arms
Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstair
Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life
Gov't Mule - Mo' Voodoo

July:
Iommi - Fuse
Adrien Belew - Side Two
Antimatter - Planetary Confinement

2-1B
06-22-2005, 12:17 PM
I just picked up King Diamond's double live Deadly Lullabyes . . . it came out last year so I've been a bit late in buying it. lol

LusiferSam
06-22-2005, 12:51 PM
My take for the month as been:
Alice in Chains: Unplugged
10,000 Maniacs: Hope Chest

I'm hoping to add Audioslave's new disk, Out of Exile to my list before too long.

Rocketboy
06-22-2005, 10:20 PM
New Weezer and Foo Fighters. Disappointed by both.

figrin bran
06-22-2005, 11:09 PM
new white stripes - not so good
new sleater kinney - ok. the live dvd is great though.
new stereolab box set - excellent

darko666
06-23-2005, 12:37 AM
June:
Brainstorm
Meshuggah
Darkest Hour

all good albums worthy of listening to.

vader121
06-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Recently got:
-new Dream Theater 'Octavarium' cd. Pretty decent but not as good as past albums.
-G3 Live(Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen). Pretty good
-Grabbed several Overkill cd's (used). All are good.

Hellboy
06-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Recent purchases:

-Coldplay: X&Y
-Gorillaz: Demon Days
-Audioslave: Out Of Exile
-Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth

Rogue II
06-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Has anyone picked up the new Robert Plant album?

arctangent
06-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstair
Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life

good god - someone in america who has heard of the porcupine tree!

i have an odd and tenuous link to the porcupine tree - last year when ,y father had cancer he was moved into a hospice to have 24 hour care and the nurse that looked after him the most was a woaman called clare, who was 6 months pregnant. we were chatting with her asking what her partner did and she said he was a musician, a bass player. i asked if he played in a group and she said he did but no one she ever told had heard of them. it turned out her partner is the bass player (his name escapes me at the moment) with the porcupine tree and she was so proud that she had finally met someone who had heard of them.

scruffziller
06-24-2005, 01:18 PM
I just bought the 13-track Austrailian version of DYNAMITE. The latest album from JAMIROQUAI.

plasticfetish
06-29-2005, 05:45 AM
new white stripes - not so goodYeah, I heard this a week or so ago... "not so good" is a perfect description.

----

Took home the new Kraftwerk live album "minimum - maximum" today. Also got a used copy of "Big Science" by Laurie Anderson. :)

El Chuxter
06-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Funny, I loved Elephant and think Get Behind Me Satan stomps it. A great, really diverse album. Aside from the ROTS score, the best CD of the year so far.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-02-2005, 07:44 PM
10,000 Maniacs: Hope Chest
I got this one many many years ago. I think it is my favorite 10,000 Maniacs CD, even though it is actually a compilation of their rare first two vinyl releases.

new white stripes - not so good
new sleater kinney - ok. the live dvd is great though.
new stereolab box set - excellent

I've only listened to the White Stripes new one once. I would say just ok so far as well. I like their first two releases the best, self-titled and De Stijl.

I wasn't too impressed with the new Sleater-Kinney at first, at least compared to their other stuff. I like it pretty well now. The distortion at the end of "Modern Girl" still bugs me some, but it has been pointed out to me that it kind of fits with the tone of the song at that point. At least a non fuzzy version is on the DVD. I agree, the DVD is great. I saw them in a similar size club as those in late February. I wish "Everything" was on the album and not just the DVD.

I've not heard much Stereolab, but I like some of what I have heard.

Much of what I've bought this year isn't new, but stuff I've wanted for a while, reminds me of days gone by, or is something I've had on vinyl and am finally getting on CD.

Cowboy Junkies - Whites Off Earth Now - Mostly slow haunting blues covers of Robert Johnson, Lightning Hopkins and others, including Springsteen's "State Trooper".
Cop Shoot Cop - Ask Questions Later - I had a promo copy of this on tape that I got for free with a purchase at a local record store around Christmas years ago. The day before the CD arrived, I hear the instrumental "Migration" in a Nike commercial. The band had two basses, no guitar.
The Joggers - Solid Guild - I got this when they opened for Sleater-Kinney at the show I saw. Some good tunes on here.
Karate - Karate, In Place of Real Insight, and Unsolved - I had heard them on an internet station called Indie Pop Rocks. The debut rocks, somewhat reminiscent of Fugazi, but not as much noise or distortion. By the time they do Unsolved, their sound is more like jazz, in a slow loungy sort of way. I'm no good at describing these sorts of things.
The Heats - Smoke - This was a Seattle area band in the late 70's early 80's. This compiles their Have an Idea album with some other tracks. They had sort of an early Beatles pop sound, but more of a frat party/bar band sort of style. They had a local hit with a song called "I Don't Like Your Face".

I've already mentioned Sleater-Kinney and The White Stripes.

I just received three CD's from Amazon. Apparently I chose to revisit 1981:
J Geils Band - Freeze Frame - I had this on vinyl and listened to it over and over back in the 80's. Good to have it on CD now.
Billy Squier - Don't Say No - I also had this one on vinyl. This one had "The Stroke", "My Kind Kinda Lover" and "In The Dark".
Buckner & Garcia - Pac-Man Fever - I had this on vinyl as well. Just wanted to get it on CD to hear it again. Turns out, it is not the same album. It says "All selections are new digital stereo recordings performed by the original artist". Great. Not only did I buy this CD, it is a sub-par recreation of the original.

I also got a CD called Solitude by Fernando James. This is an artist I heard on an internet station called Astreaux World. It plays ambient, electronic, new age and space music. I've also ordered Opalescent by Jon Hopkins, another artist I heard on there, but I've not received it yet. The same label also had Sound Echo Location by Honeyroot. I had sideloaded a song of theirs from Live365.com into my station's playlist a while back. It is more electronica than new age, as I don't play new age on my station. Not yet anyway.

I think the new Billy Corgan CD might be my next purchase.