PDA

View Full Version : Buying from a friend....

graakster
06-22-2005, 05:29 PM
I have a friend who dragged out a bunch of his old Vintage Star Wars toys. They are all loose figures but most of them are in good condition. What I want to know is what is a fair amount to offer him?

Here is a list of some of them:
Action Figures:
C-3PO - two 1977
R2-D2 - one leg is broken (not sure of year)
Luke Skywalker - 1977
Princess Leia - 1977
Chewbacca - 1977
Darth Vader - 1977
Yoda - 1980
IG-88 - 1980
Tusken Raider - 1977
Imperial Probe Droid - 1980
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 1977

Vehicles/Ships
Millennium Falcon with box (box is in poor condition)
Slave 1
Twin-Pod Cloud Car

Any ideas on what the going rate is for these figures or how much I should offer him.

evenflow
06-22-2005, 05:42 PM
I say give him 50.00

graakster
06-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Only $50 ... I would think they would be worth a little more than that. I'm not a huge collector, yet. I've only been collecting new items and not vintage. The only vintage I have currently is a loose Boba Fett.

Is 50 bucks really fair.. he's got more than I listed... just couldn't remember all of them. I know I forgot Lando and Hammerhead.

LusiferSam
06-22-2005, 06:13 PM
How many of the figure are complete? Do they have all of their accessories or not? If their all complete, $50 to $60 for the figures sounds fair. I'd knock off between $2 and $4 for each missing accessory, but not go any lower than $20 for all 12.

Ships are harder for me to judge without good photos. I'd say just check eBay and see what similar items are selling for. But remember with both the ships and figures, the true value is what you are willing to pay.

Blue2th
06-22-2005, 07:35 PM
The values for the figures could vary. Do they have any of there accessories? (Yoda with snake, capes, weapons etc.) I know that the Cloud car is only going to go up in value as Hasbro won't be making it because they lost the molds or something to that effect (read that here in SSG or rebelscum.com) I paid 50 bucks for a loose one in really nice shape before I heard that. I think they have increased in value since then. The other ships have been re-issued and are more easily available. Try buying Lee's action figure guide at your local news stand or Hastings. It has a price guide in the back of every issue. You could also do a search on eBay for 'completed' auctions to show what they figures have sold for recently.

graakster
06-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the advise guys. I'll continue to do my research and make him an offer. Thanks again.

vader121
06-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Have you asked him what he wants for them? if he has then at least meet him halfway. If he says $150 then maybe go $75-$80. Don't take advantage of your friend. If he has no idea then I would be fair because he is your friend. I would say $2-$3 per figure and around $10 for smaller vehicles and at least $25 for the Falcon. Given the condition isn't too bad. With this in mind I would say that a fair price to offer would be at least $75. It depends on how many figures he has and if there is guns, etc. to go with them.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I'd agree with most of the above posts, especially vader121. Ask him how much he wants. Tell him how much each would be, in your view. Meet somewhere in between. Don't lose a friend because you want a good deal, so being fair is most key. And, knowing if these are just the figures, with no weapons or gear, makes a big difference. You could find them at about $2-5 each minus accessories, as much as $20 each if complete.

Slicker
06-23-2005, 11:09 AM
If all else fails just show him this thread. A collection of posts by people with nearly 10,000 posts combined can't be a bad deciding factor.:p;)