PDA

View Full Version : Response to my DSII Luke ?

ROTJLuke
06-23-2005, 11:23 AM
I asked adam over at galatichunter.com about the chances of a new DSII Luke Jedi...and well heres what he said: (My question first, his response second)

Just a quick question. Are we ever going to see a ROTJ Luke DS II figure that is what weve always wanted? I mean, they released the TRD one, but that looked like a monkey, and was really aimed at kids with the action feature. Ive waited for a long time (nearly 7 years now) for this figure, trying to find out if we could ever get one made, or if they would. If the swami is correct, 06 seems like a great year, doesnt it? But you seem like you have greater knowledge than most, so whats the word on a new, collector friendly ROTJ Luke DS II figure?

Always in motion is the future, blah blah blah. So far the only really good Death Star II Luke wasn't all that great, and it's the Final Jedi Duel version. The action-attack one isn't particularly good on numerous levels between it having the glove on the wrong hand at first, a horrendous head sculpt, and an action feature that doesn't work especially well. With Hasbro always looking for ways to make good core characters, and ways to make sure they can make a good core figure that they can recard, rebox, and sell you later, it's something I think we'll see eventually, but my own personal crystal ball doesn't see anything beyond what you know on this one. And I can say that '06 is looking very good, especially given that in the toy business, the new year tends to start early.

I dont know if well get one now since he seems to be involved, but he's sayin '06 is looking very good, so maybe not for our DS II Jedi Luke (:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ) but maybe for some other good stuff...

Your guys thoughts?

DarkArtist
06-23-2005, 11:45 AM
All I can say is that it is a wait and see. If the rumors and statements are true that hasbro is going to redue the entire line from the Kenner era into the succesful VOTC style, then it is possible that we will get a final Jedi Duel Luke.
The problem is the Hasbro has to factor in what will sell and what will peg warm. While this figure will most likely fly off the shelf if the figure is what we, the collectors, are looking for then it will defiantely not stay around too long.
I for one have been waiting for this figure as well, it is one of my favorite scenes throughout the whole saga, and I was so looking forward to the last version of the Jedi Duel Luke, only to be let down by the horrible pile of plastic that it was.
What Hasbro needs to do is listen and react, give us the fans, the buyers what we want. :)

Captain Spoon
06-23-2005, 12:01 PM
I agree the Luke figure you decribe would be awesome. I myself always wondered why they never made (either as a cinema scene shadow box) or 2 figures that connect together somehow) Luke after the deathstar, with the torch and a burning (Jedi Funeral) Vader for me this would be my Hasbro wet dream come true

zar
06-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Forgive my padawan ignorance, I have just recently registered with Sirstevesguide. At any rate, am I understanding correctly, is there talks of Hasbro redoing the entire Kenner line in the VOTC style??? This is the first I've heard and frankly it would be my dream come true if they did, because to be honest there are several figures from the POTF and POTJ line that I could just throw rocks at. The Chewy and Fett figures from the VOTC line are just what I have always dreamed of... The first wave Hasbro punched out back in '95 was an insult, I was excited to see them being released but I was disappointed at the sculpts which I won't get into!!! So what is this about DSII figure and how different would it be than the Luke Jedi at the Jabba's Palace, wasnt' that figure the jedi equivalent of the VOTC luke??? Please update me someone, LOL.
Regards,
Zar

ROTJLuke
06-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Forgive my padawan ignorance, I have just recently registered with Sirstevesguide. At any rate, am I understanding correctly, is there talks of Hasbro redoing the entire Kenner line in the VOTC style??? This is the first I've heard and frankly it would be my dream come true if they did, because to be honest there are several figures from the POTF and POTJ line that I could just throw rocks at. The Chewy and Fett figures from the VOTC line are just what I have always dreamed of... The first wave Hasbro punched out back in '95 was an insult, I was excited to see them being released but I was disappointed at the sculpts which I won't get into!!! So what is this about DSII figure and how different would it be than the Luke Jedi at the Jabba's Palace, wasnt' that figure the jedi equivalent of the VOTC luke??? Please update me someone, LOL.
Regards,
Zar

The Jabba's Palace one has the vest tunic on, the Death Star II does not. We never got a good Death Star II Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker, and thats my favorite character and my favorite scene. The Final Duel. Ive been waiting for this figure for 9 years now, ever since the first release of the red carded one. When we finally got one, it was f**king garabage, a stupid action feature monkey figure. Its fustrating that I might never get this figure, and it def. would be a hot hot seller among collectors. I know myself if they did it to the specifications Ive posted before, and the brief ones down below, Id def. get 4 or 5 of the first release, and multiples of the rehash packaging and what not...I just hope there is still a chance to see this figure with in the next two years or so...:cry:

Bren2d2
06-23-2005, 01:44 PM
I too would like to see a Death Star II Luke figure. I loved the Darth Vader from the POTF collection with the removable helmet, this version of Luke should have been made about the same time as when this Vader came out. I would buy one of these Lukes for sure. Hopefully Hasbro will listen to what we the fans want and make a great figure like you described.

ROTJLuke
06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
hasbro listen to the fans..thatll be the day...

Bren2d2
06-23-2005, 02:00 PM
hasbro listen to the fans..thatll be the day...
Yeah, it seems they're a little weak in this department

zar
06-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the clear up, ROTJLUKE, I've got that Luke from the Final Duel 2 pack and I certainly agree, it's only got one possible pose and looks stupid, not to mention the Vader that came with it. I too liked the Vader with removable helmet, but like I stated b4, there are a few I liked but most of their line ups are BB Gun targets! That's the only Final Duel Luke I know of... It looks like the one that came with the Rancor, actually, that one was more articulate. No way Hasbro will listen, they only listens to demographics, stupid advertising always listens to Soccer Moms before fans and collectors... I'm still intrigued at the possiblities of Hasbro releasing a clean new line like their VOTC attempt. I really liked the new Lando in Skiff uniform, they need to continue that type of trend. Is there any truth to Hasbro expanding the VOTC line????

ROTJLuke
06-23-2005, 03:13 PM
Its rumored right now, but your prob. in the wrong thread for that, check out this thread:

VOTC & OTC are coming back and the Sisters are on the list!!

Itll tell you all you need to know about the rumors about '06.

zar
06-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Thank you, ROTJLUKE, but I couldn't find the VOTC thread, I just don't know how to move around this site yet.

zar
06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Nevermind, found it, thanks!!!1

ROTJLuke
06-24-2005, 12:46 PM
yep! anytime!

Devo
06-29-2005, 09:23 PM
The mind boggles as to why there isn't yet a decent version of Luke in DS2 Jedi outift. Its not as though this is an obscure 'lando in smugglers gear' outfit worn for only 3 seconds in a non-pivotal scene of the film. Its the central hero character wearing an outfit for about a third of the film throughout key action/drama scenes!! Hasbro normally chooses its figures based on precisely these kinds of criteria and yet they somehow - inexplicably - seem to have missed this one. Its years overdue.

The Saga DS Luke was crap and terribly misjudged. It doesn't seem to know who its aimed at. On the one hand you have an action feature which suggests the figure is aimed at kids - and yet you have a scene specific pose and facial expression which could only p*ss kids off!! No Hasbro. Better to do a well articulated figure that can be put in and out of this pose at the buyers leisure. Although I'm not mad on ball-jointed necks on figures that don't have helmets, I think it looks too obvious and unnatural.

ROTJLuke
06-29-2005, 11:14 PM
The mind boggles as to why there isn't yet a decent version of Luke in DS2 Jedi outift. Its not as though this is an obscure 'lando in smugglers gear' outfit worn for only 3 seconds in a non-pivotal scene of the film. Its the central hero character wearing an outfit for about a third of the film throughout key action/drama scenes!! Hasbro normally chooses its figures based on precisely these kinds of criteria and yet they somehow - inexplicably - seem to have missed this one. Its years overdue.

The Saga DS Luke was crap and terribly misjudged. It doesn't seem to know who its aimed at. On the one hand you have an action feature which suggests the figure is aimed at kids - and yet you have a scene specific pose and facial expression which could only p*ss kids off!! No Hasbro. Better to do a well articulated figure that can be put in and out of this pose at the buyers leisure. Although I'm not mad on ball-jointed necks on figures that don't have helmets, I think it looks too obvious and unnatural.

I agree with that entirely. I mean, Im sure it gets annoying to hear me yapping about DSII Jedi Luke, but I mean its such an obvious mistake on hasbros part, this figure is needed. I wouldnt mind if they put it out as much as they did all the Tatooine Jedi Lukes. Luke of course is my favorite character in the Star Wars universe, and that final battle scene is my favorite scene out of all 6. And I love it how he grabs his saber out of palpatines throne and begins to battle. The battle of all battles, the final duel between good and evil. Luke wins, good wins. Its such an important part of the SW history, and Luke is such an important character to the SW history, why they wouldnt make a figure to commerate this, let alone even ackwnoledge it with that atrocious TRD Luke, puzzles the f**k outta me. I hope hasbro reads this, reads my info, and makes one that makes us all stop complaining and wishing and wanting this figure. I can only hope and dream:ermm:

JediTricks
06-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Searching the forums, I've found a lot of threads asking for this Luke figure from the end sequence of ROTJ, and not surprisingly (since this is probably my favorite version of the character from the whole saga yet it's gotten miserable treatement so far), I've posted in a lot of them myself. The Dear Hasbro forum alone has over a dozen threads asking for this, but that awful Saga figure is the best response Hasbro has given so far and obviously it's unacceptable. My favorite idea was by forumite mista_carrot, who sadly doesn't seem to be posting here anymore, but he did this awesome drawing that would be so incredible if Hasbro actually did something like that: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=98582#post98582

Devo
06-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Searching the forums, I've found a lot of threads asking for this Luke figure from the end sequence of ROTJ, and not surprisingly (since this is probably my favorite version of the character from the whole saga yet it's gotten miserable treatement so far), I've posted in a lot of them myself. The Dear Hasbro forum alone has over a dozen threads asking for this, but that awful Saga figure is the best response Hasbro has given so far and obviously it's unacceptable. My favorite idea was by forumite mista_carrot, who sadly doesn't seem to be posting here anymore, but he did this awesome drawing that would be so incredible if Hasbro actually did something like that: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=98582#post98582

Fantastic drawing. I agree he pretty much nailed it. That would be ideal.

ROTJLuke
06-30-2005, 10:28 PM

That would be incredible if hasbro did something like that. A delux ROTJ Luke. :D

nomad
07-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Great design illustration!
Oh man... all those accessories!!
I don't "Play" with my figures, but if I got my hands on that, I'd play with it for over 24 hours straight! Just in putting things on and taking them off.

That is pie in the sky, but I'm one of those few that truly believes it's capable to reach any pie you can see.

How much would a figure like that go for? Not how much would you spend (hehe, that'd be a lot if you ask most of us) :) but how much should they charge for that? That could be $15-19 with all those extra soft goods and hands. That's being somewhat reasonable though... what would they actually charge?

On to the main topic... yeah, how ridiculous that this is an issue.

The character that solves the entire saga... in the scene where he settles the entire drama, ends the tragedy and restores Galactic peace.

The climax of all the drama... and they don't make any good figures of that character from that scene.

How many Tatooine Lukes (And I'm not complaining!) do we have?

While I absolutely want the ultimate DSII Luke to be made (Full articulation, quality head sculpt, multiple hands, no action features) I wouldn't mind if they keep making a bunch of these Lukes.

It's a character worthy of as many figures as they can pound out.

May the force be with you.

ROTJLuke
07-05-2005, 03:23 AM
Great design illustration!
Oh man... all those accessories!!
I don't "Play" with my figures, but if I got my hands on that, I'd play with it for over 24 hours straight! Just in putting things on and taking them off.

That is pie in the sky, but I'm one of those few that truly believes it's capable to reach any pie you can see.

How much would a figure like that go for? Not how much would you spend (hehe, that'd be a lot if you ask most of us) :) but how much should they charge for that? That could be $15-19 with all those extra soft goods and hands. That's being somewhat reasonable though... what would they actually charge?

On to the main topic... yeah, how ridiculous that this is an issue.

The character that solves the entire saga... in the scene where he settles the entire drama, ends the tragedy and restores Galactic peace.

The climax of all the drama... and they don't make any good figures of that character from that scene.

How many Tatooine Lukes (And I'm not complaining!) do we have?

While I absolutely want the ultimate DSII Luke to be made (Full articulation, quality head sculpt, multiple hands, no action features) I wouldn't mind if they keep making a bunch of these Lukes.

It's a character worthy of as many figures as they can pound out.

May the force be with you.

I agree. With Comic Con only 10 days away, its gonna be interesting what they have to say in response to the high demand for this figure. I hope someone asks about this figure, and asks why it isnt out yet, let alone in production or even on the "to-do list". Believe me, if I saw everything in my profile, and put that together with all the rest of the great ideas you guys have, they could basically reuse this figure 3 or 4 times. (One on a DSII card, Endor card, Ultimate Jedi Luke, rehash figure). I would buy them all. So, c'mon hasbro, please please please dont dissapoint and give us the ultimate version of DSII Luke Jedi that is so despereatly wanted (at least by me :D )

JediTricks
07-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Hasbro could easily do this as a $10 deluxe, but they'd have to get the quality of the deluxe manufacturing plant to come WAY up to do it because everything they churn out is sub-basic quality, it always sucks buying a $10 figure that's crappier than a $5 figure.

ROTJLuke
07-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Hasbro could easily do this as a $10 deluxe, but they'd have to get the quality of the deluxe manufacturing plant to come WAY up to do it because everything they churn out is sub-basic quality, it always sucks buying a $10 figure that's crappier than a $5 figure.

Agreed, I havent been impressed with their delux figures, nor have I seen on to make me turn my head and look twice...