PDA

View Full Version : Remaking the Kenner lines into the VOTC line...beware!

Darth Cruel
06-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Although I would love to see this done, I would be devastatingly disappointed to find that these figures didn't end up being the ultimate figures in terms of articulation and sculpt. At ten bucks each, there is no reason for anything short of the definative versions of the figures. And think about it. The Stormtrooper was the figure that came closest to that in the VOTC line and even that one, (while it is outstanding) fell short of difinitive by a couple of ball jointed hips, and a turning waist.

For ten bucks each...I don't want to see 45 degree cut joints a la the Rebel Trooper (TantiveIV Defender) that only allow a figure to go from standing to kneeling and back again. Or elbows that only go from straight to 90 degrees.

El Chuxter
06-23-2005, 04:38 PM
I'd rather they forego the clamshells and bring the price down a few bucks. I open them anyway, so for me the shell is a complete waste of $4.

Ryno
06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
From a standpoint of just looking at them in their packages I thought that the figures came pretty close to being the definative versions. With the exception, and biggest dissapointment, being Luke. I couldn't wait to get him and I just remember their being a pit in my stomach upon finally finding him with that too short body and awful head sculpt.

I only opened Han, Luke, Vader, Stormtrooper, Obi-Wan and Boba Fett. Once again, of those, I can only say I was thoroughly disappointed with Luke.

I can do without the clamshell too, but I'd still be willing to fork over more than the average $6 for the figure if that meant I was getting better sculpting, articulation, accessories, etc.

ROTJLuke
06-24-2005, 02:46 AM
I could do w/o the clamshells too, I like the cardbacks and the accuracy, but the above statements are correct, they better be top quality and top notch for me to fork out more than the 6.99 price the ROTS figures are running.....whatever happend to the 4.99 Redcarded prices? lol..

zar
06-24-2005, 11:02 AM
I too could and did with out the clamshells, though, I honestly think they only incased them in there for fear of theft, not necessarily to preserve the card. They could've and should've used a smaller clamshell and I agree with all of you, the Luke was a dissappointment. If they come out with the same head and body proportions for Luke Jedi they'll have ruined the line. Luke Jedi needs and deserves to be done right and like you all stated, if you're going to fork out 10 bucks it better be a freakin awesome sculpt with the VOTC Fett type Articulation. Articulation is what I want most, if they do this, I hope they redo all figures. I'm with you, the 45 degree type cuts are not acceptable in this VOTC line, especially at that price. Hasbro could've put them out at a more reasonable price, because I'm sorry but the packaging could't have cost them much... nickles and dimes. Hell, I'm not sure how true this is, but I have a bud who told me it costs Hasbro under a dollar to produce one figure, final product including cards and such.

ROTJLuke
06-24-2005, 11:55 AM
if thats the case their really messing with us on the price...like really badly...

And I agree with the previous statements above, whenever they decide to do the ROTJ Luke DSII, it better be an awesome sculpt, just how I basically describe it in my profile, but that just doesnt go for DSII Luke, it should go for all of them. Its a VOTC line, the sculpting and articulation/accessories/likeness should be dead on

DarkArtist
06-24-2005, 02:33 PM
I would love to see the figures released without the clamshell as well and I also agree with the fact that Luke was a hoorible pile of plastic but let's not forget the lump of pure crap Threepio. The tops me list above the Luke.
The clamshell packaging is a waste of cash but Hasbro wants the money back on these figures.
As far as the articulation, overall i was impressed with what they did. The Figures can have more dynamic poses, finally Han can sit and hold his blaster while pointing at Greedo, Vader and Ben can finally hold their lightsabers in a two handed pose and create their fateful duel aboard the Death Star. They really were some of the best figures I have seen in a long time.
If Hasbro does get the greenlight to redue the vintage Kenner line of Figures, as long as they give them the VOTC treatment, make up for thse two horrible pieces of plastic crap (Threepio and Luke) and drop the price to about $6.00 the line will be gold. :)
And yes ROTJ Luke, we need the kick*ss version of Luke in his Death Star II duel Tunic. This figure is long overdue. i would only add perhaps a variant or chase version that has his tunic opened abit like towards the end. and perhaps add a cloth vest option for some cool Jabba's barge action as well. :)

zar
06-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Oh, I agree, I liked most of the VOTC and I was very excited with the articulation of most of them. The Stormtrooper & Boba Fett were a Godsend. I really liked what they did with Han and Chewy. I didn't even know until after playing around with Chewy that his ankles moved; it was awesome, by far the best chewy Hasbro has made... but it confuses me, they were on a roll and then... what the ***k happened?? The artist that sculpted Fett and Chewy sculpt must have been out sick and his replacement ended up vomitting out Luke and 3PO, that damn 3PO was money in the trash, I just about freaked when I opened him up!!! I ended up getting two of each, only because I liked the cards, but I always rip my stuff out of the package. I'd like for Hasbro to do the following:

Redo the entire Kenner Line in the VOTC style and continue producing
the OTC line with characters never before made, like Han in AT-ST uniform....
However, wouldn't it be sweeeet to get a Luke and Han in stormtrooper disguise with the body of the Stormie!!!???

I man can only dream...

ROTJLuke
06-25-2005, 03:06 AM
I thought about the same thing, release the closed tunic DSII Luke Jedi on the VOTC card and the opened one on the OTC card.Keep the fingers crossed, we find out a lot in less than a month...

zar
06-25-2005, 03:18 AM
Say, ROTJLuke, what happens with in the Month?? Toy fare?? I think someone made this comment in some thread also, but I noticed my local Wallly Mart has shrunk the size of the Star Wars aisle. I hate to be a pecimist but won't Hasbro continue to milk the Star Wars license?? I live in a really metropolitan area so this was a disturbing site, not to mention that it's being replaced by the Fantastic Four... which I think is going to be a flop of a movie but I won't get into that.

ROTJLuke
06-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Comic Con is comming July 15, and thats when were gonna find out major news for '06 pretaining to Star Wars figures and the future of Star Wars toys in general. Hasbro has the license for a long, long time, so well be collecting for a while. Yes, the stores are shrinking down the starwars section for lines like batman begins and fantastic four, which sucks, but thats what is gonna sell with the younger kids who jump on every new fad there is. However, with the posibilities of some scalpers going to these other lines and their attention diverted from SW, it may be good news for us collectors...