PDA

View Full Version : The Mystery Of Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jek Porky 2002
06-24-2005, 08:44 AM
Even after the Prequals, Obi-wan is still quite a mysterious charactor. We don't really know that much about him, appart from he was tought as a Padawan by Qui-Gon Jinn and that he trained Anakin and later Luke Skywalker.

I think it's great that Lucas didn't go into too much detail of Obi-wan's origins in the PT. That way, when we meat him for the first time in ANH, he is still just a strange old hermit, who no very little about.

For example:

Who are his parents?
Anakin would always discuss his mother with Obi-Wan, but we never heard Obi-Wan reference to his parents.

What is his home planet?
Once again, we know Anakin came from Tatooine, but no mention from Obi-Wan of where he was born.

How did he become a Jedi?
We never find out when he joined the order, or how he was discovered, we just picked up on the end of his training when he was in his mid-twentys.

Can anybody shed any light on these subjects?

nash
06-24-2005, 10:14 AM
I read something that shed some light on your questions. I am trying to find where I saw it.

Kidhuman
06-24-2005, 11:14 AM
All of the Jedi sans Anakin were taught from a very young age, given to the Academy before they were two I believe.

JimJamBonds
06-24-2005, 11:49 AM
"Who are his parents?"

Ehh who cares, he would have been taken when very little before he could have even known his parents. Anakin and Luke growing up and then being introduced to the Jedi are the exceptions to the rule.

"What is his home planet?"

Again I personally don't find this to be all that needed info. He would have been raised at the temple on Coruscant so in a sense that is his "home planet."

I do however like the idea you mentioned that Obi-Wan is still on the whole a mystery.

El Chuxter
06-24-2005, 01:05 PM
His family were farmers and his brother's name was Owen.

Seriously.

Not Owen Lars, as we learned a couple of years ago, but apparently Owen Kenobi.

Jek Porky 2002
06-24-2005, 02:01 PM
"What is his home planet?"

Again I personally don't find this to be all that needed info. He would have been raised at the temple on Coruscant so in a sense that is his "home planet."

That is what I am saying, it is not needed info in the movies, and it's great that we don't discover this. I am just intrested to find out purely out of personal intrest!

Droid
06-24-2005, 02:29 PM
His family were farmers and his brother's name was Owen.

Seriously.

Not Owen Lars, as we learned a couple of years ago, but apparently Owen Kenobi.

I don't think Owen's last name was ever Kenobi. If anything Obi-wan's last name had been Lars and Kenobi was a name given him by the Jedi.

Luke hears of Obi-wan Kenobi and wonders if he is a relative of Ben Kenobi. He doesn't hear of Obi-wan Kenobi and wonder if Obi-wan is a relative of Owen's.

El Chuxter
06-24-2005, 03:02 PM
It's a totally different Owen, meaning that "Owen" must be about as common as "Bail" and "Antilles" in the SW Universe.

I base this conclusion on the facts as we have them in the EU. (Nobody get on my case about EU vs films, because any discussion of Obi-Wan offscreen is EU by definition.)

We have AOTC, which establishes Owen Lars as Anakin's stepbrother.

The ROTJ novelization says that Owen Lars was Obi-Wan's brother. Obviously, this is contradicted by what's onscreen, so we can totally throw it out.

One of the Jedi Apprentice books (I always forget which one) has a scene with Obi-Wan captive, undergoing a memory wipe. He resists and one of the first memories he recalls afterward is visiting his family on a farm, and that his brother's name is Owen.

No last name or planet given, so it doesn't contradict anything onscreen.

So his brother is apparently named Owen Kenobi and is never referred to aside from this scene.

Slicker
06-24-2005, 03:27 PM
I like the mystery. Why does every character in the SW universe have to have a background story? It makes Obi-Wan a real character when you don't know every detail about his life. I don't really care what he had to eat before the battle on Mustafar. Once again I bring up Aurra Sing. I bet 50% of the people on the boards still can't find her in TPM yet in the EU she's a famed Jedi killer :rolleyes:.

DarkArtist
06-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Hey the idea of mysterious characters is a great topic and while yes the movies don't go into their past lives and the books might shed some light on the subject, it is up to the viewer or author to decide what the character's background may be, after all that is what EU is for.
Look at Yoda, we still don't know his species, origins, parents ETC. but we have all thought about what he is and where he comes from.
I think those who bash the idea of EU should really rethink their opinions on it. The EU is a source of info from a "certain point of view. :) "

Elliejabbapop
06-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I read a book on Obi-Wan as a little boy, when he was about to be picked as an apprentice by Qui-Gon, which I thought was good. I can't remember what it's called I'll go and check
(that is, if I find the book in the mess that my house is lol )

El Chuxter
06-24-2005, 05:51 PM
I read a book on Obi-Wan as a little boy, when he was about to be picked as an apprentice by Qui-Gon, which I thought was good. I can't remember what it's called I'll go and check
(that is, if I find the book in the mess that my house is lol )

That would be the first book of the Jedi Apprentice series. I'm still behind and haven't read all of them, but the ones I've read are among the best SW books around.

Elliejabbapop
06-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Apparently my house is not such a mess as I thought....... it's called "The Rising Force" and it's by one of my favourite EU authors, Dave Wolverton. If you want to find out about Obi's past Jek, this is the answer. Still, I don't always trust the EU, but this feeling mainly regards the books set after episode VI .

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-24-2005, 07:08 PM
I read a lot of the Jedi Apprentice books a long time ago, but they can't really be considered completely canon. Obi-Wan would've been too young to remember his brother, if he had one at all. I think that the author still believed that Owen Lars was Obi-Wan Kenobi's brother, going by what was in the ROTJ novelization, but that is obviously not true in the films.

Wasn't there a book (in that series, I think) that stated that Qui-Gon's master was some alien? Again, this was proven false by AOTC. These were just meant to be fun books for kids that don't really mean too much in the whole scheme of things. I really don't like how Obi-Wan left the Order for a few days and nobody cared, since in the movies, that would be a big deal.

El Chuxter
06-24-2005, 07:41 PM
I believe the quote you're looking for is from the TPM novelization. When Qui-Gon faces Maul (not sure if it's the first or second time), the author says something about his Master, an alien with many tentacles, not having encountered a Jedi swordsman the equal of Qui-Gon in all his 400 years. Or something like that.

I've always assumed the reason his brother was named as Owen was because of the reason you said -- the author assumed (this being in 1999) that Obi-Wan's brother was Owen Lars. And despite the Jedi being raised in the Temple from a young age, he was also trying to come up with an explanation for why Obi-Wan would know his brother later on. (The explanation was that Jedi children got occasional visits home, which doesn't quite jive with the films, either.)

Since so much comes out in the EU that is later contradicted by the films, and George has ultimate veto power over everything, there are three possible explanations:

1) George doesn't care what other people do under the name of Star Wars.

Not very likely, considering the iron grip he keeps over the films and his insistence that anything prior to the DVDs is a "rough cut" and will never be released.

2) George takes a very hands-off approach and doesn't even bother looking at the EU.

Again, not likely. Though he acts like this is the case, he's used several characters and names from EU (Aayla Secura, Quinlan Vos, the Outrider, swoops, Boonta, and Coruscant come immediately to mind).

Also, when authors were discussing how to make the beginning of the New Jedi Order series more shocking, it was George's idea to kill Chewbacca.

Despite what he says, I think he reads every word that comes out under the Star Wars banner. If you'd created something this big, wouldn't you? And it's not like he can't afford it.

3) George was, contrary to what he's said on some occasions and completely in line with what he's said on others, as clueless as anyone else about the backstory. He came up with something he judged to be better than what everyone had believed previously, but this being his baby, he didn't care that it didn't jive with earlier works.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :)

Not a complaint, but to me this seems to be the case.

Think about it: when nothing about the mysterious "Dark Lord of the Sith" title had been revealed, he wouldn't let Timothy Zahn call his alien race the Sith. (They ended up being the Noghri.) A couple of years later, he allowed Dark Horse to publish comics establishing the Sith as an ancient order of Dark Jedi.

So if he knew what a Sith was, and no one else did, why didn't he know when and under what circumstances the Clone Wars occurred instead of allowing the same author to write all sorts of Clone Wars backstory that's now been more or less invalidated?

Again, not a complaint, so don't read that into it. But that's how I see it. It's every much his prerogative as throwing Hayden and some Gungans into ROTJ.

Rocketboy
06-26-2005, 12:11 AM
Also, when authors were discussing how to make the beginning of the New Jedi Order series more shocking, it was George's idea to kill Chewbacca.IIRC, Luke was the originally meant to be killed, but George veto'ed that and suggested Chewie.

Dark Marble
06-28-2005, 11:53 AM
I like the idea of not knowing. It leaves something to the imagination. I don't care what Obi did when he was seven or twelve. Or somebody writing a story about what Boba Fett had to do to survive after Jango was gone. Anything could happen in these times, and I would rather imagine it rather then somebody write a bad story about it. I don't much care the EU stuff, I know not all of it is bad but the movies are enough for me.

JimJamBonds
06-28-2005, 12:33 PM
I like the mystery, sure its neat to know the background info on these characters 'but careful what you wish.' How many people are pleased with what we now know about Boba Fett and his origins? Personally I'm fine with Boba's background and that isn't an issue but some don't like it.

Jek Porky 2002
06-29-2005, 05:55 AM
Or somebody writing a story about what Boba Fett had to do to survive after Jango was gone.

Now there's a story I wouldn't mind finding out!

megaprime33
06-29-2005, 12:33 PM
For the information you seek on this, go to the star wars website and look for obi-wan in the character index. They have a tab for expanded universe where it explains his backstory. I don't have time to hunt down the link so if anyone wants to, go for it. I know that he was chosen at a very young age to become a jedi and be trained on corousant(sp). That's all I recall.

El Chuxter
06-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Now there's a story I wouldn't mind finding out!

Check out Boba Fett: The Fight to Survive, along with its five excellent sequels, available at book retailers everywhere!

(And these, I know for certain, are still in print.)

Miksh Habri
07-15-2005, 03:01 AM
I don't think Owen's last name was ever Kenobi. If anything Obi-wan's last name had been Lars and Kenobi was a name given him by the Jedi.

Luke hears of Obi-wan Kenobi and wonders if he is a relative of Ben Kenobi. He doesn't hear of Obi-wan Kenobi and wonder if Obi-wan is a relative of Owen's.

If Obi-wan's last name had been Lars, then he'd be a relative of all of the Skywalker's. That just doesn't match up for me, then again what do I know?

+Shauna+

JimJamBonds
07-15-2005, 11:15 AM
If Obi-wan's last name had been Lars, then he'd be a relative of all of the Skywalker's. That just doesn't match up for me, then again what do I know?

Then we'd have to take Obi-Wan's 'you were my brother and I loved you' to heart even more. :D

Jayspawn
07-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Obi-Wan is one of my favorite chatacters, and I really like not knowing much about him. It think its amusing too.