PDA

View Full Version : Droids with personality

Kidhuman
06-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Okay, through out the entire line of SW movies, the only droids thta had a personality were R2 and 3PO. Through EP1 and 2, it was the same thing. Now comes episode 3 and the battle droids and SBD's are being used for comic relief. They would always answer Roger, Roger or something like that, but now, they are sarcastic and have conversations with each other. It kind of bothered me that now all droids are human like. WHat are your feelings on this?

vader68
06-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Throughout both trilogies, there has always been an progression of technology as it went along to the next movie. You could look at it that way, that they are more advanced in revenge of the sith. I personally liked it the way they communicated and spoke. It was some comedy relief, but i felt it fit right in with the other movies. As far as no other robots having personality, what about the robot that tortured the other droids in Jabbas palace in ROJ. I can't remember his name off hand. There were lots of other droids, even if they were only seen for a few seconds on screen,especially in the first trilogy. That was part of why Star Wars was so entertaining,at least for me anyway, was seeing the droids and creatures doing stupid little things.

Slicker
06-24-2005, 12:31 PM
I didn't like the fact that the SBD's carried on a conversation in the beginning of ROTS or the fact that the BD's were so sarcastic to GG on the bridge of the Invisible Hand.

dindae
06-24-2005, 12:50 PM
I didn't like it simply because I found most of it annoying. Even in AOTC I had problems with C-3PO's lines because they were so corny. But like Vader68 said this isn't the first time droids showed human emotions. In the Cloud City there was the rude protocol droid, the mouse droid that gets scared of chewbacca on the Death Star, and the AS_7 droid that smacks the small droid for no apparent reason in the special edition. I'm sure there are more but those are the one I can think of off the top of my head.

Droid
06-24-2005, 02:26 PM
The droid that was part of the door at Jabba's Place had a personality.

I am a droid with a personality.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-24-2005, 07:19 PM
R2-D2 and C-3PO aren't the only droids with personality, just the main droids we see on screen. Pretty much every other droid onscreen has some kind of personality, such as WA-7 (Dex's waitress), the screaming GONK in Jabba's palace, and EV-9D9, but we just don't see them as much.

Anyway, I think that the BDs had personality in AOTC, such as when one said "Uh-oh!" and "My legs aren't moving, I must need maintenance" and things like that. I don't know why they had it more in ROTS, but they had at least some in both AOTC and ROTS since now they were independently controlled, unlike in TPM. They don't say this onscreen but they mention it many times in EU and it makes sense anyway since the reason they lost in TPM was because Ani blew up their central command ship. So now they'd have personality, I guess.

I still don't like their new voices as much as the old ones, but I'm more used to them now. Some of the lines are funny, IMO, such as when the droid says to Grievous, "You're welcome." But I still hope that someday they'll redo the voices to match the ones from TPM and AOTC.

2-1B
06-25-2005, 02:02 AM
Didn't bother me one bit in ROTS. I've had to put up with C-3PO's annoying personality for decades now, so a few wisecracks from BDs aren't a big deal.

The SBDs arguing about the noise and then calling Artoo "stupid" was pretty dumb, I agree there, but the regular BD who cracks wise to Grievous and also says excuse me to Obers was fantastic ! :)

Rocketboy
06-26-2005, 12:14 AM
There was also the battledroid in TPM that seemed to be confused for some reason as Qui-Gon tried to board the Queen's ship.
"Ummm...wait! You're under arrest!"

That one always bugged me.

PloKoon2385
06-26-2005, 01:29 AM
I liked it a lot. I found it very funny. And in a dark movie like that, it's good to have some humor. AOTC showed a little when the battle droid head was placed on threepio's body and made a crack. Although it may have been a little corny, I think it was subtle enough that the average SW viewer will not be annoyed. We mustn't be selfish. Not everything is about us hardcore fans! :crazed:

PloKoon2385
06-26-2005, 01:32 AM
Oh, also, TC-14 had a personality in my opinion, as did the pit droids. Suffice to say that the battle droids in ROTS were not the first to have personalities other than C-3PO and R2-D2.

JediTricks
06-26-2005, 06:17 PM
In the saga, the only droids we spend any time with are our heroes, there is personality in ESB and ROTJ with "ee chuta!", and the droids in Jabba's dungeon who are being tortured and EV-9D9, but those still are minor parts.

Through EP1 and 2, it was the same thing. I disagree some, Ep 1 had droid a lot of personalities with the Battle Droids, like "uh oh" and such, but those were painted with much broader strokes than ever before (which is why I don't like them, they're too broad and nearly all comedic).

It kind of bothered me that now all droids are human like. WHat are your feelings on this? The thing that bothers me is the broadness of it, before droids were subtle and less obvious about their "feelings" and "personalities", now we have wise-cracking droids and it just feels way off - the TPM screenplay actually has even MORE of this, the movie basically starts with a pair of "funny" maintainance droids talking about the arrival of the Radiant VII and such, IIRC. The battle droids aren't even supposed to have minds of their own in TPM, yet they have individual personalities, and these are supposed to be battle-harned troops in these films yet they act even less militaristic than the OT's stormtroopers.