PDA

View Full Version : My dad is suffering from the after effects of AGENT ORANGE

scruffziller
06-25-2005, 11:19 PM
For a couple years now my dad has been struggling with his health. He has been going to doctors and they can't figure out what is wrong with him overall. He has heart arithmia, bad stomach problems, and has panic attacks. For some reason he has never wanted to go to the VA hospital, he doesn't seem to trust the doctors or something.
I had struck up a conversation with my neighboor whose husband is 57 (3 years older than my dad) and he has been totally disabled since 1990 due to the exposure of AGENT ORANGE while he was in Vietnam. I told her that my dad is also a Vietnam vet and he has had bad health problems. And it so happens, that he has been having the same problems as my neighboor's husband. She gave me a phone number to a VA health middle-man who helps fight for the veterans. And from my neighboor said was that you go into the VA hospitals now and all your Vietnam vets are suffering from the same problems. And the problem is that AGENT ORANGE is not a disease, so it can't be dealt with in the same way. With any luck, my dad should be able to get some benefits. However, retribution is out the question since the supreme court has ruled that suing the government for AGENT ORANGE health problems is like suing them for friendly fire. My neighboors husband is getting $4000 a month, but would trade all of that to be pain free. And all the medication he takes only takes the edge off.

My dad has had similar problems through his life but not as severe as they have in the last 2 years. He has always had stomach problems and said that he had some problems immediatley when he came back from Vietnam.
My dad says that when he was there, they sprayed that AGENT ORANGE everywhere all around them. Even though he didn't have direct exposure, the substance was in the air and in the water supply. Even to this day, there are many places in Vietnam that are saturated with the poison and people are still expieriencing its wrath.

But I was wanting to know if any of you guys have any friends, relatives etc. that are suffering through the ordeal of AGENT ORANGE and any advice you might have.

Kidhuman
06-25-2005, 11:35 PM
I am sorry to hear that Scruff. My prayers are with you and yours my friend.

Blue2th
06-26-2005, 09:05 AM
That is sad. Especially when our government is already cutting funds for the VA, and they are having trouble taking care of recent Veterans coming home from the war??? I have an older friend that says you have to keep bugging them for benefits. He is trying to get the same help because of AO, but he has a broken piece of Bayonet in him and may get help because of it. Though he is still trying. He also has said that drinking only bottled or purified water and eating foods that have a tendency to clean out your system helps him. Meantime try to at least get the monetary benefits that your nieghbor gets if you can. I know that's not much comfort to give from a non Veteran, but I can only tell you what I have heard.

JetsAndHeels
06-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Scruff, I wish you and your dad nothing but the best. I truly hope things get better, and please tell him that we are grateful for his service.

scruffziller
06-26-2005, 09:19 AM
That is sad. Especially when our government is already cutting funds for the VA, and they are having trouble taking care of recent Veterans coming home from the war??? I have an older friend that says you have to keep bugging them for benefits. He is trying to get the same help because of AO, but he has a broken piece of Bayonet in him and may get help because of it. Though he is still trying. He also has said that drinking only bottled or purified water and eating foods that have a tendency to clean out your system helps him. Meantime try to at least get the monetary benefits that your nieghbor gets if you can. I know that's not much comfort to give from a non Veteran, but I can only tell you what I have heard.

Thanx KH, Jango, and Blue2th. I will remember to tell my folks to keep hounding them. But I have a good feeling that with this middle-"woman"; I should say, she has helped my neighboor so I have faith she will be able to help my dad. I will surely tell my dad that the guys on SSG thank him for his service.:)

InsaneJediGirl
06-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your father Scruff. Thank him along with JF for serving his country.

We think my Grandfather died of Agent Orange complications,but I dont know much besides he had prostate cancer and died from that as far as we know. I think your father is pretty smart to stay away from the VA hosptial. My Grandfather didnt like them either,and the doctors/nurses did seem to give the brush off verus a private hosptial.Besides,they necessarily wouldn't be under goverment control of course to draw such conclusions about Agent Orange.

Don't have any advice,since I was just 11-12 when this happened.Just my third party observation of the VA hosptial there.

Kidhuman
06-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Yes, I forgot to mention tell him thank you