PDA

View Full Version : King Kong

darko666
06-27-2005, 08:02 PM
the first trailer is up and holy hell this movie looks amazing. i love the original and i'm def. looking forward to this remake. i'm not one for remakes, but this is something Peter Jackson always wanted to do, and from the looks of it, he is sticking to his plan. Kong looks perfect, and the classic T-Rex fight is going to be a breathtaking scene. especially since there are 3 of them.

enjoy:
http://www.kingkongmovie.com/ef239524432ba87f1ca8f70eed4b1fa7/en_splash.html

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-27-2005, 08:26 PM
I saw this trailer tonight on USA, and I was taken off guard. This is definitely a must-see for me this fall!

Blue2th
06-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the link Darko666! Now I don't have to sit thru that awful Fear Factor. Looks like a badass movie. Can't wait for it to come out. Maybe when Peter Jackson gets enough time he will do the Hobbit! :crazed:

Rocketboy
06-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Looks really good.
Was it just me or did Kong look a bit small?

darthvyn
06-27-2005, 09:45 PM
yeah, this looks awesome... unfortunately, i did have to sit through fear factor, but one of the chicks won, so i got to see a hot chick in a bikini the entire time...

i think kong only looks small because the angles we're looking at make it so. if you compare most of the shots with the one where he jumps up to save the girl from the t-rex, you can get more of a scale comparison...

2-1B
06-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Looks pretty cool ! I'll be checking out Kong for sure during the Christmas season.

Slicker
06-28-2005, 01:31 AM
It looked pretty good and I liked the way the film looked but I have a sinking feeling that it's gonna end like the Hulk. People are gonna obviously go to see King Kong and he'll be in it for only a few minutes. I'll just have to go and find out when it comes out in theaters.

vader68
06-28-2005, 10:21 AM
looks awesome can't wait to see it. I only hope it is better than that crappy remake from the 70's.

El Chuxter
06-28-2005, 12:06 PM
It looked pretty good and I liked the way the film looked but I have a sinking feeling that it's gonna end like the Hulk.

You mean it will be an awesome drama that people don't appreciate because they expected two hours of explosions and stuff? :p

2-1B
06-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Not really Chux, you can't call The Hulk an awesome drama if Nick Nolte is gonna turn into that silliness at the end. :crazed:

scruffziller
06-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Jack Black!!:D

Yea, Kong does look awfully small. And I don't remember dinosaurs being on the island.

Exhaust Port
06-28-2005, 01:23 PM
I was a bit uninterested in this movie until I watched the trailer. I think the fact that they set the movie in the 1930's sold me on this one. I'm sick of remakes always taking place in the modern era.

Rocketboy
06-28-2005, 02:41 PM
i think kong only looks small because the angles we're looking at make it so. if you compare most of the shots with the one where he jumps up to save the girl from the t-rex, you can get more of a scale comparison...I thought that at first too, but when Kong picks up the girl, his hand looks much smaller than the original Kong's hand did when he picked her up.

You mean it will be an awesome drama that people don't appreciate because they expected two hours of explosions and stuff? :p Exactly!

...except for that Nolte nonsense.

darthvyn
06-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Not really Chux, you can't call The Hulk an awesome drama if Nick Nolte is gonna turn into that silliness at the end. :crazed:

the impressive part is that nolte can really do that stuff. i swear. a friend of mine's sister's ex-boyfriend works in hollywood. same with christpher walken. he really can fly, that wasn't wirework in that fat boy slim video...

scruffziller
06-28-2005, 04:20 PM
I was a bit uninterested in this movie until I watched the trailer. I think the fact that they set the movie in the 1930's sold me on this one. I'm sick of remakes always taking place in the modern era.

Yea, leave it to PJ to do the good angle on a story.

darko666
06-28-2005, 05:39 PM
And I don't remember dinosaurs being on the island.

in the original, Kong faces a T-Rex and the main cast fight off a brontosaurus in the pond/lake. so there are dinos on the island. but PJ did a little tweaking of the lake scene, i can't wait to see what creature he used or created. i'm sure he added more scenes with dinos to add suspense, but i'm not going to complain. he does look small, but i think it's all camer angles that do that. most of the scenes Kongs in, he is hunched over or on all fours. we have yet to see him stand up.

Rocketboy
06-29-2005, 08:26 AM
same with christpher walken. he really can fly, that wasn't wirework in that fat boy slim video...I can almost believe that.

Droid
06-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Kong looks way too small when he throws that car. He is clearly smaller than in the '70's movie.

And I can appreciate that they are having dinsoaurs since they were in the original, but why exactly is everyone so impressed with Kong if there is a whole island of giant creatures?

Rocketboy
06-29-2005, 09:03 AM
why exactly is everyone so impressed with Kong if there is a whole island of giant creatures?That's because he's a monkey. Everyone loves monkeys.
<----- Look!

:D

Exhaust Port
06-29-2005, 09:26 AM
I can't wait to see him fling his huge monkey crap at everyone.

Droid
06-29-2005, 09:54 AM
That's because he's a monkey. Everyone loves monkeys.
<----- Look!

:D

Ya know, I do love monkeys.

vader68
06-29-2005, 10:01 AM
He does look a little small in some scenes, almost like Mighty Joe Young. And when comparing Mighty Joe Young and King Kong Size does matter :D But I do think it is just the angle, and because he is not standing upright.

vader121
06-29-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm not so sure on this one. It looks ok but doesn't impress me too much. CGI looks pretty fake here to me. Kinda liked the big bug scene though. That may be interesting.

Jayspawn
07-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Looks great! I cant wait to see it!

I'm not keen on remakes either, but Peter Jackson will make it a great movie. I would like for the original film to come out on DVD.

darko666
07-08-2005, 11:17 AM
I would like for the original film to come out on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007YBMA6/qid=1120839335/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-3171876-9184722?v=glance&s=dvd

it's expensive, amazon seems to only have used ones for sale.

kool-aid killer
07-08-2005, 11:35 AM
I cant wait to see King Kong, i know my younger brother is looking forward to it too. I dont think Kong is too small, in the original movie he wasnt insanely huge either. I just remember he clobbers a ton of other beasts, and from the trailer it appears that he will doing the same thing.

Ji'dai
07-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Just saw the trailer on E!'s Coming Attractions. I've never been a big Kong fan but I liked the old Godzilla movies. The bug scene was pretty wild, I wasn't expecting that. I was surprised to see Jack Black in it though so I may wait for the home video release and pick it up at the library.

El Chuxter
07-21-2005, 02:08 PM
The original is OOP? Something tells me that will be changing in a couple of months.

They showed most of the V-Rex battle at Comic Con, although much of it is unfinished (some still in the animatics stage). It looks very, very impressive.

Peter Jackson is a great director, one of the best working today.

Adrian Brody and Jack Black are great actors. Naomi Watts is no slouch, either.

This is a classic story.

This movie will rock in ways few have rocked before.

And KG's not in the film. :(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-04-2005, 11:42 PM
#1- BD scored a pic of Kong and Naomi Watts chillin' on top of the Empire State Building. It looks AMAZING. http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/gallery/photodir2.php?image=439/17.jpg I don't even want to resize it because it won't do it justice. awesome, simply, awesome.

#2- The original Kong movies are being re-released on NOvember 22nd. Here is the info from DVDanswers:

Title: King Kong (1933)
Starring: Robert Armstrong
Released: 22nd November 2005
SRP: $26.99 (2-Disc SE)

Further Details
Warner has sent over artwork for the original 1933 RKO classic King Kong which stars Robert Armstrong. Newly restored from rare nitrate film elements and digitally mastered in glorious black and white, King Kong will be available to own from the 22nd November this year in two seperate editions. The first will be a standard two-disc special edition, whilst the second 'collector's edition' will arrive in a collectible keepsake tin with a 20-page reproduction of the original souvenir program, some original one-sheet reproduction postcards and a mail-in offer for a reproduction of a vintage theatrical poster. Extras on both include an audio commentary by Ray Harryhausen and Ken Ralston, with Merian C. Cooper, Ernest B. Schoedsack, Ruth Rose, Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong, an I’m Kong: The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper 2005 documentary, a Merian C. Cooper Movies Trailer Gallery, an eight part documentary on the making of Kong (The Origins of "King Kong", Willis O’Brien and "Creation", Cameras Roll on Kong, The Eighth Wonder, A Milestone in Visual Effects, Passion, Sound and Fury, The Mystery of the Lost Spider Pit Sequence, King Kong’s Legacy) and some creation test footage with Commentary by Ray Harryhausen.

Available from the same day will be a King Kong Collection, which includes the two-disc edition of King Kong, along with two more new-to-DVD titles - The Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young. The Son of Kong disc will include the theatrical trailer only, whereas Mighty Joe Young will include a commentary by Ray Harryhausen, Ken Ralston and Terry Moore, a Ray Harryhausen and The Chioda Brothers featurette, a Ray Harryhausen and Mighty Joe Young featurette, and the trailer. Retail for this one should be around $39.92, or you can own the two additional titles seperately for around $19.97 a piece.

artwork: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=7406&n=1&k=King+Kong&burl=r%3D0%26g%3Dinfo%26s%3D1%26k%3DKing%2BKong

and that Tin version is MINE.

sources: BD and DVDanswers.

Slicker
10-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Your link doesn't work JMG. That site doesn't allow hotlinking.

Edit: Try this one. Picture (http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/27623565744.jpg&s=x7)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-05-2005, 01:10 AM
ah, it's working for me just fine. Maybe too many clicks exceeds something or blah blah blha. thanksf or the new link Spud- i mean, Slicker. :crazed:

Mandalorian Candidat
10-05-2005, 05:52 PM
I can already tell I'll be thinking of the scene where King Homer plays with Marge's hair in THOH all through King Kong.

plasticfetish
11-19-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm bumping this thread up!!!

I'm really more excited about this movie than I have been for any other in a great while. We bought a pack of Kong trading cards the other day, some Kong drawers for the kid today, I'm dying to buy some Kong hands, a Kong action figure (they're OK, but not great) a week or so ago, and last night I finally saw the Kong trailer on the big screen.

Wow!

This film looks like it may turn out to be simply beautiful. Some of the shots were just awesome. Kong on top of the Empire State jumping to swat at a plane... amazing.

I love the old film, actually think the '70s film is fun to watch, and was a little nervous about the idea of another Kong movie, but I think jackson is really trying to work this film in the right direction. Keeping to the original flavor, but taking full advantage of modern technology to give this film a big epic feel.

Kong is king.

-----

BTW, a "2-disk Special Edition" of the original film can be preordered from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00003CXAW/104-1515314-0540730?v=glance&n=130&%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance) -- to be released on November 22nd.

James Boba Fettfield
11-20-2005, 12:07 AM
I want it just to see what they have of the spider pit scene.

May it be all that I have dreamed.

2-1B
11-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Sounds like this movie's gonna be a bit long in the tooth, around 3 hours or so?

General_Grievous
11-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Fine by me. Thankfully, I don't think Peter Jackson remembers how to make a movie less than 3 hours.

plasticfetish
11-20-2005, 02:04 PM
I just need to buy 2 hot dogs.

scruffziller
11-21-2005, 01:18 PM
I just need to buy 2 hot dogs.

WHOAH your movie theatre sells HOT DOGS!!!!!:eek: .......LUCKY!!!!!!

plasticfetish
12-12-2005, 04:26 AM
So we're looking at Wednesday... who's ready to go to Skull Island?

-----

I picked up that DVD of the classic movie BTW, and it's great!

jonthejedi
12-13-2005, 04:31 AM
I grew up racing home to watch "creature features" after school...having been exposed to the '33 Kong & the Ray Harryhausen films. I'm stoked to see this epic tommorrow. I don't mind if it's 3 hours, if it's good!

mastermatt24
12-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Hey guys-
My dad saw this last Wednesday through a special screening that was offered by "Below the Line" (He got to go because he works for Kodak, and the person that they were sending couldnt go)
He said that it was good, stunning visually, but the plot is exactly the same from the origanal, and that it was kinda long.
:)

plasticfetish
12-13-2005, 08:02 PM
He said that it was good, stunning visually, but the plot is exactly the same from the origanal, and that it was kinda long.I think that's pretty much what Ebert and what's-his-name said also.

We'll be seeing it after school tomorrow. :)

darko666
12-13-2005, 11:40 PM
the plot is exactly the same from the origanal

i sure as hell hope it is. there is no need to rewrite a great story. i can't wait to see this movie, all i have been hearing are positive reviews. in my one animation classe last week we saw some footage of the movie, since one of the former students worked on Kong. def looked impressive.

General_Grievous
12-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Just got back from it and it's friggin awesome. Definitely one of the best films of 2005. In fact, I even liked it better than the original. Here's why: In the original, the characters pretty much sucked. Here, they're more fleshed out. It's three hours long, but I wanted it to go on longer. The acting was great from Adrian Brody, Naomi Watts, hell even Jack Black was good. His character goes from ignorant to manipulative to downright b@st@rd in the course of the movie. But the real credit has to go to Andy Serkis (Gollum in LOTR) for his portrayal of how Kong acts. The guy deserves an oscar, plain and simple. The dinosaurs also look good, but they're not as memorable as the ones in Jurassic Park. However, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor during the Kong vs. T-Rex fight. Here's a hint: it involves tongue-biting and jaw-cracking. But the real heartbreaker is the end on top of the Empire State Building. In the original, I couldn't have cared less if Kong lived or died. In this one, I wanted him to live. I wanted him to destroy all the planes, but we all know his fate. And it hits you emotionally. I didn't cry, but it is really sad. Even at three hours, the movie is missing some things; namely the scene in the first trailer when they're filming on the beach ("Scream, Ann, scream for your life!") is cut. Also there is a scene from the original that they should have done: Kong wreaking havoc on the Skull Island natives. I missed that scene. All in all, I think it's better than the 1933 Kong. Peter Jackson has done it again, and although it's not as great as the LOTR trilogy, it's still excellent. Probably the best remake of a movie to date.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-14-2005, 08:02 PM
just got back from the flick and i am going to talk about the film, in probably some detail so if you want to remain totally and utterly virginized look away now. and yeah, i'll go so far as to do SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

This is going to be VERY VERY LENGHTY, so please, relax and enjoy.

1. This film was FANTASTIC. On every level. The CGI. The acting. The story. The creatures. The score (although it was weird not seeing Howard Shore's name there, but Newton Howard did a great job). The finale nearly drove me to tears and there were people all around crying.
2. Kong was superb. I picked up the original when it came out a few weeks back and watched it over the weekend. I still love it to death. It's one of the first films i remember watching and loving as a kid and i still have my 18'' gorilla figure i used to call "Kong." One of the things i loved about this Kong is that we got to know him MUCH MUCH better because, let's face it, with all due respect to the original: he was just a huge gorilla that loved blondes. In this film, you see him bond with Anne (Naomi Watts did an amazing job) as to her becomes something more than just a play toy or even dinner. You see him thinking with his big brown eyes and you know what he's going through, thanks to the brilliant movements/face actions of Andy Serkis (whose character in the flick is good too). You can sympathize with the guy every moment he's on screen. He portrays a full range of emotions too, everything from kicking the arses of a few T-rexes to holding Anne in his huge hand. It's great how the bond between him and her develop. At first, she's just another victim, but once she begins to impress him, he becomes her protector, almost like a big brother. He has these almost human nuances about him (which, gorillas/apes do) that make him a great all around character. Watching him get hurt or injured in any way by humans actually ANGERED me and when he takes out a few planes on the Empire state building, you're happy and in fact, a few folks in my showing actually CLAPPED when he took them down. When he's almost betrayed by Anne and when you see his face and eyes then/when he's unveiled in NYC, you can't help but sympathize with him. It's also not in his protection where you like him, but his sense of humor. I couldn't help but laugh when he kept knocking Anne over and even when he was sliding on the ice in central park and once he realized she was having fun, he kept doing it. Jackson centered in to what makes the original story so compelling: the almost, dare i say, "love" that exists between anne and the beast and the tragedy that befalls them. You see it in his eyes when he's on the empire state building and you hear/see the planes coming in. He looks at her with this expression where he knows he's doomed and she's going to miss her just as much as he wants to stay by her side. His last looks of death and desperation as he clutches to life fills you with grief and there were very few dry eyes in the house when he finally fell. As the film ended, i was tempted to run outside and praise the Gods that Peter Jackson is a film maker.
3. The action is crazy good too. The Rex scenes were brutal, barbaric, and intense and i will say this: if you have little kids, by God, DON'T TAKE THEM. There were a few kids a few rows behind me that were scared the entire time they got to Skull Island and beyond. and if you're a person who hates bugs, you're screwed because there are a few scenes where the sailors/filmmakers meet up with some of the creepiest bug scenes since "Temple of Doom." The creatures and dinosaurs all look great too and the T-Rex fight scenes were just unreal.
4. I have to mention Jack Black as i know many folks didn't like him being the choice for Carl Denham, but lemme say this, PJ knew what he was doing. Black does a great job of starting off simply as a passionate filmmaker and slowly falls nearly insane as he continues to get his picture made, even if it means death for him and his crew. Jabbles did a fantastic job and i tip my hat to him.
5. Lastly, the nods to the original film were awesome. The comment about Cooper and RKO pictures by JB were great. The scene they filmed on the boat that is pretty much the first few scenes between Jack and Anne in the original were good and lastly, the ending dance scene before Kong that were like the natives in the classic and the music being EXACTLY THE SAME. Great.

That's all for now. Hope everybody enjoyed the flick as much as i did. :love:

mastermatt24
12-14-2005, 09:58 PM
I didn't cry, but it is really sad.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.... ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-15-2005, 03:34 PM
I can't wait to see this! The old one had a good story, but I just couldn't get past the terrible animation and effects. Sure it's a classic, blah blah blah . . . ;) :D

El Chuxter
12-15-2005, 06:19 PM
I can't wait to see this! The old one had a good story, but I just couldn't get past the terrible animation and effects. Sure it's a classic, blah blah blah . . . ;) :D
Are you serious? Those special effects aren't ILM, they aren't hyper-realistic, but they still look passable 72 years later. That's no small feat.

plasticfetish
12-16-2005, 04:35 AM
It was such a big film. I'm not even sure where to start.

Long story short -- I thought it was great, but not perfect. We've had a lot of mediocre remakes of old movies and this one could easily have been terrible, but It wasn't. It was a very good modern telling of a classic story that paid tribute in a very sensible and witty way to an extremely important piece of film history. It has some subtle flaws, but I found myself accepting them in much the same way that I accept the flaws in the 1933 version of Kong -- because in general, its strengths made me want to believe the fantasy.

I suppose it's fair to say that from here on this thread will focus on specific elements (scenes, whatever) of the film. So, if someone reading through is trying to stay "spoiler free" it may be a good idea to stop and come back after you've seen the film.

Long story long -- I thought it was great for tons of reasons, but not perfect... for just a few. In general, I really liked the structure and flow that Jackson gave the film. It's divided (like the classic Kong) into three parts, and each part has a very specific feel and mood to it (unlike the classic Kong.) The first part is bleak, with drab gray tones. Jackson brings us into a city that's full of life, where no one is really all that alive as they fight to survive during the height of the depression. The second part of the film is lush, with greens and earthy browns. We're on Skull Island, a place that's swarming with life -- it's out of control and crawling from every cave and crevice with pointy teeth. The third (and final) part of the film is bright, with bronze, steel and chrome all lit by glowing city lights. We're back in New York City, but now the mood is one of hysteria.

This really is such sad movie. The original Kong was sad, but Jackson pushes the idea that in both worlds, city and jungle, life is all about struggle and that in both cases there are losers. Of course, it's also about holding onto love and friendship when and where you can find it.

The acting is good throughout the movie. I think Jack Black's Carl Denham is great. His own silly/intense personality does kind of overshadow the character -- from time to time you're conscious of "Jack Black" when you should just be thinking "Carl Denham," but I love the corny sort of intense energy that he brings to the part. Denham is just as over-the-top in the classic Kong, but now we're treated to something a little more manic. Adrien Brody is good, not great, but I think my take on him may have more to do with his character's place in the story. I really like him, and what he brings to it all for the most part, but I'm not feeling the kind of bond between Driscoll and Darrow that we end up feeling between Darrow and Kong. In the classic movie, the relationship between the hero and the girl is pretty obvious. In this modern Kong, Jackson is obviously playing around with the uncertainty between them, but I think that it's weird how Driscoll nearly kills himself trying to rescue Darrow from Kong on the island, proving that he cares, and then there's nothing between them until the very end. Andy Serkis, who's also great as Lumpy the Cook, has brought amazing things to this CG ape character. I know that heaps of credit must go to the digital artists, but you really feel Serkis' touch as you watch Kong on the screen. It's very much ape -- like 99% -- but there's just that small amount of Serkis the human in there that makes it easier for us to connect to this fabricated creature. Naomi Watts is perfect as Ann Darrow. Acting in front of a green/blue screen and having to believably react to nothing seems nearly impossible to me. So many times it can feel like the actor isn't really connecting to anything. The slightest flinch or lapse of intensity and concentration can kill the believability of a scene when a real person is acting with a digital character. Watts not only maintains that weird kind of imaginary connection, but she does it so well that you forgive and ignore any less than totally believable CG elements. You really like her character, and I think what I like best is that she's not just a pretty victim -- she's clever, tough and passionate as well.

The movie looks fantastic, and it's really amazing to me just how much visual stuff there was that I didn't expect to see. The Island is intense in every way. The village, it's inhabitants (scary!) and the wall turned out to be a great surprise. Later in the movie Jackson makes a kind of nod to the classic Kong stereotype native (done very well), but going into this one you're thinking, "Here come the natives." then you're thinking, "Where are the natives?" 'til finally you end up thinking, "Oh they're horrible... is the movie over?!?" It's brilliant and really typical of how throughout the film Jackson deals with introducing old ideas and story elements in such a way that you're still totally shocked and surprised.

So much of the "new way" of presenting those old ideas has to do with the digital part of the film. Jackson is good, and this is what I liked about the LOTR films, at integrating digital elements in such a way that what "works" is accentuated, and what might not work as well is played so that it isn't a total threat to the moment. There were a few times, most notably in the jungle, when some of the layers and elements didn't fit together quite perfectly. During the stampede there were times when the dinosaurs seemed to be floating on the terrain, or times when the actors weren't matted into the picture smoothly, but you forgive because the scene itself is so incredible. For the most part the visuals are amazing. The textures and complexity of the environments -- the modeling of places like Skull Island or the digitally rendered Times Square is brilliant. From time to time colors and lighting don't seem to blend perfectly between the layered parts, which can have an effect on the believability of a moment, but for some reason I tended to forgive those flaws. I remember that what I'm watching is both a fantasy and a film inspired by another film with similar flaws. We're watching a movie that uses groundbreaking but relatively new technology to re-imagine something that also used groundbreaking but relatively new technology. Somehow it all feels very appropriate.

I need to watch this one again in a week or so to really decide, but right now I'd give it maybe an 8.5 out of 10. That could go up or down a half point for me, but regardless, it was for sure a movie that sticks in your head and I'm really looking forward to seeing it again.

General_Grievous
12-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.... ;)

:D LOL. No, it's true, I didn't. However I did walk out of there feeling pretty depressed about Kong's demise. But I did shed a few tears during Return of the King, because the character development in that movie lasted for the whole trilogy, and it was sad to see Frodo and the hobbits say goodbye to each other.

On another note, and this may sound a bit immature, but here it goes. I really hope that this gets nominated for Best Picture at the oscars. Because this beats the hell out of the constant onslaught of independent films we've been seeing. Peter Jackson needs that honor again because I believe he's the best director out there. Even better than Spielberg (who's been slipping a lot lately) and Lucas (even though ROTS was awesome, TPM and AOTC are kind of stains on his resume when you look at the higher quality of his other movies). Peter Jackson started out small and ended up a filmmaking juggernaut.

JetsAndHeels
12-16-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm just now getting back from seeing it. Thought it was a great movie and well worth the price of admission.
One thing I liked (besides the great effects, etc) was the detail of how the sets were...I was mostly impressed with how New York City looked and how so much care was taken to make it look authentic (I love history so those things stood out to me).
Overall its definately worth seeing, and one of the best films I've seen this year.

Slicker
12-17-2005, 01:21 AM
One thing I liked (besides the great effects, etc) was the detail of how the sets were...I was mostly impressed with how New York City looked and how so much care was taken to make it look authentic (I love history so those things stood out to me).
Overall its definately worth seeing, and one of the best films I've seen this year.I saw somewhere that Jackson looked through thousands of pictures of 1930's New York to recreate the city scape instead of just making it up. So every building you see in the movie was actually in that exact location in the 1930's. Now that's movie making.

JetsAndHeels
12-17-2005, 09:48 AM
I saw somewhere that Jackson looked through thousands of pictures of 1930's New York to recreate the city scape instead of just making it up. So every building you see in the movie was actually in that exact location in the 1930's. Now that's movie making.

Very interesting fact there Slick. Of course I don't think audiences would expect anything less in detail from Peter Jackson.

Slicker
12-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Very interesting fact there Slick. Of course I don't think audiences would expect anything less in detail from Peter Jackson.Especially since this movie is rumored to be the 6th most expensive movie ever made. I would hope for $270,000,000 he could get it right.:D

jonthejedi
12-17-2005, 01:48 PM
I've been waiting since Wed. to see this film....and finally, today, I got a window of 3 hours. What can I say, Kong is still King(long live Skull Island!)...and James Cameron is no longer king of the world. Peter Jackson has become the preminent director of fantasy films. I can only imagine what he would have done with a SW movie. What's next, PJ???

Darth_Tater
12-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Kong was well done except for the length of 3 hours, the individual back story of such minor characters like the ship's crew, and the movie felt way too much like a Jurassic Park sequel. The CGI of Kong and of NY city was fantastic, but overall I had a much better time watching Narnia especially the battle scenes and heroism of the characters.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-28-2005, 06:52 PM
I really, really liked this movie! ROTS is still 2005's #1 but this is a close #2. I liked the whole "What about Fay?" "No, she's doing a movie with Cooper" homage at the beginning! It was much funnier than I expected, and sad too. But it was a huuuuuuge improvement over the original. I thought it was cool how they added so much more while still remaining more or less faithful. I'm also glad that they humanized Kong more than in the old one, where I didn't feel sad when he died at all.

Rocketboy
12-28-2005, 10:43 PM
So does anyone have the original Kong DVD? How is it?
I went to pick it up today and it seems to be sold out everywhere.
Must've been a hot seller this Christmas.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-28-2005, 10:49 PM
So does anyone have the original Kong DVD? How is it?
I went to pick it up today and it seems to be sold out everywhere.
Must've been a hot seller this Christmas.

I got the BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE set that has i think like 3 Kong movies and 5 extra poster cards, but honestly, i put the sequels in the box in my closet and i just watch the original. It's pretty fantastic. The quality of the picture and sound are top notch and there is even an offer for a copy of the 27X40 original 33 movie poster. The documentaries are really amazing as it's really cool to see how they did everything in 1933, from the special effects to the sound to the score. Hell, the chapter on the stop motion animation was nearly over an hour by itself. Great purchase!! :D

plasticfetish
12-29-2005, 02:28 AM
Must've been a hot seller this Christmas.They sold out on the first day where I am. Maybe a week later I managed to find a two-disk SE, and yeah... it's great.

JEDIpartner
01-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Just came back from King Kong and I give it 6.5 or 7 out of 10 depending on which way the wind blows. The effects were fine. Just fine. They vascilated between "amazing" and "crap" within the same scene. Some close-ups were fantastic and a wide-angle shot of the same scene looked poorly rendered. Sometimes Naomi Watts looked like she was floating with a hand stuck between her.

Anyhow... it was good, story-wise. I really give Pete and his team credit for really fleshing out the story in a three-hour film. The scenes on Skull Island went on a bit too long. The dinosaurs. Yeah... they're chasing you. We get it. Can we move on? I seriously wanted to scold Pete and say, "Peter Jackson...!!! Put down that crayon!!!"

Well... for as much as I hate Jack Black, I can honestly say that I enjoyed his performance in this film. It was nice seeing him play a character that wasn't mentally retarded in some fashion (pretty much EVERYTHING he's done up to this point). Naomi Watts... I just love her and she lights up the screen even in the crappiest of films (Ring 2). Kyle Chandler was a real surprise. I didn't even know he was in the film. I was able to look past Adrien Brody's one big nostril and believe that he was supposed to be swoony.

I'm not a fan of Jackson's pacing, nor am I a fan of his special effects company (there are some really diabolically bad shots over the course of LOTR) but he can tell a good story. I'm glad that it was he who tackled this project and not someone less capable. He did a good job. :)

JEDIpartner
01-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Furthermore...

There were times when it seemed like he forgot he was making an action movie and he'd suddenly remember and try to make up for it in these random ten-minute sequences that just NEVER ENDED!!!!

Oh, and when Kong falls off the Empire State Building... where's the blood? Even with the crowd all around, there should have been some splatter. There should have even been a crater. No blood. No crater. Yeah.

I'm willing to suspend belief on a number of levels BUT-- considering this movie made sure that people were bloodied and scarred and cut and such, they seem to have forgotten that there should have been a crater and some blood. Oh, my...

The 'Xir
01-27-2006, 01:35 PM
I saw this over the Holiday with my folks, and I have to agree with my dad, "This has got to be one of the top 5 worst films of all time!". I Like Peter Jackson, I love what he did with LotR, but this movie was just BAAAAD! The sequence with the dinosaurs running through the ravine and the search party trying to avoid getting stampeeded(sp?) was just god awful! That and there was just too many unrealistic events, it was just too over-the-top.:yes:

Slicker
01-27-2006, 01:44 PM
That and there was just too many unrealistic events, it was just too over-the-top.:yes:So the whole over sized monkey falling in love with a human women then climbing the top of the tallest building in the world part wasn't unrealistic?

Beast
02-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Some upcoming news about the DVD release from The Digital Bits:

Well... it seems that the German equivalent of the MPAA (the FSK) has just rated some of the extras on Disc Two of Universal's forthcoming King Kong: Special Edition (street date TBA, but believed to be 3/28). It looks like the set will pick up right where King Kong: Peter Jackson's Production Diaries left off. Here's some of what you can expect...

Credits, Introduction by Peter Jackson, Kong's New York 1933, Natural History of Skull Island, Prod. Diary 55: Welcome to Postproduction, Prod. Diary 57: Kong Performance Capture, Prod. Diary 56: The Miniature Venture, Prod. Diary 58: Creating Sound Effects, Prod. Diary 59: A Visit to Editorial Department, Prod. Diary 60: Peter Answers Your Questions, Part 1, Prod. Diary 61: The Miniature Second Unit, Prod. Diary 62: Building a Miniature, Prod. Diary 63: Weta Digital Overview, Prod. Diary 64: Creating the Teaser Trailer, Prod. Diary 65: Sound Design, Prod. Diary 66: Shooting Additional Elements, Prod. Diary 67: Preparing for Pick Up Shooting, Prod. Diary 68: Pick Ups - The Cast Returns, Prod. Diary 69: Pick Ups - The Venture Extras, Prod. Diary 70: Pick Ups - Continuity, Prod. Diary 71: Pick Ups - The Wrap, Prod. Diary 73: Detailing the Miniatures, Prod. Diary 74: The Unsung Heroes of Rotoscoping, Prod. Diary 75: Foley Recording, Prod. Diary 76: Digital Doubles, Prod. Diary 78: Digital Color Grading, Prod. Diary 79: Motion Editing, Prod. Diary 80: Bringing Kong to Life - Animation, Prod. Diary 81: Filming the Miniatures, Prod. Diary 82: Kong Visits New Zealand, Prod. Diary 83: Mixing Dialogue, Music & Effects, Prod. Diary 84: The Mixing Board, Prod. Diary 85: The Music of Kong, Part 1, Prod. Diary 86: The Music of Kong, Part 2, Prod. Diary 87: Delivering the Film, Prod. Diary 88: Peter Answers Your Questions, Part 2, Prod. Diary 89: The World Premiere, Prod. Diary 90: The New Zealand Premiere, See More of NYC in 'Wish You Were Here' and Touareg & King Kong (the VW Spot).

Nice. Watch for Universal's official DVD release announcement soon.

Thanks to Bits reader Christian L. for the link (http://www.spio.de/index.asp?SeitID=292&pnum=19835(VV)&RefSeitID=70&Ltitel=%22King%20Kong%22)!

Finally, eagle-eyed Bits reader Jason G. noticed an interesting omission from yesterday's list of the features on Universal's forthcoming King Kong: Special Edition. Specifically, missing is Prod. Diary 77: 13 Weeks to Go, which features a look at the recording of Howard Shore's music from the film. No doubt this had to do with Jackson's 10th hour replacement of Shore with James Newton Howard (http://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=670) as the composer of the film's soundtrack (Jackson and Shore were reportedly having trouble finding common ground on the Kong score). You can view the original clip in Quicktime format here at Kong is King.net (http://img-nex.kongisking.net/kong/movies/PPD-13WeeksToGo_qt6_high.mov) (while it lasts).

Right click and save the file, if you want the Post-Production Diary that won't be on the DVD set when it streets on March 28th. :)

2-1B
02-13-2006, 12:25 AM
It was alright but this 3 hour business was too much. WTF was up with those goofy insects ? At some times the movie had really cool CGI and then other times it was horrible.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-13-2006, 01:04 AM
It was alright but this 3 hour business was too much. WTF was up with those goofy insects ? At some times the movie had really cool CGI and then other times it was horrible.

The insects were part of a "lost" scene from the original "Kong" where the crew is attacked by them after falling into the ravine. I think the scene had storyboards but was never filmed, so PJ and the crew did it partly in honor to Merdian as well as the original "kong" to put it in there.

and hey, welcome back, dude!

2-1B
02-13-2006, 01:18 AM
The insects were part of a "lost" scene from the original "Kong" where the crew is attacked by them after falling into the ravine. I think the scene had storyboards but was never filmed, so PJ and the crew did it partly in honor to Merdian as well as the original "kong" to put it in there.

I'm down with the homage and that whole concept, I just thought the CGI was horrible in that section, considering how good Kong and the Dinos looked. :)

and hey, welcome back, dude!

thanks, that trip out for supplies became more complicated than I expected - we ran into way too many stenches but it's good to be back inside Fiddler's Green. lol

Beast
02-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Ceaser!! You're back. Good to see you, mano. :)

JEDIpartner
02-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Did you read my bit on it at the top of the page? :sleeping:

Aragornsfate
02-16-2006, 04:24 PM
I love it when people dissect fiction movies because there is not enough reality in them. Makes perfect sense.

2-1B
02-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Did you read my bit on it at the top of the page? :sleeping:

I did, and I agree. :) But I posted a month after you did, so I had to respark things. ;)

Hey Aragorn, nice try but that's not at all the point, I was referring to the "realistic" rendering of things like Kong and the Dinos and the "poor" rendering of stuff like spiders and insects. It's ALL fake and unrealistic but we can still discuss what looks realistic vs. what doesn't. We've been having the same discussions with SW CGI for years. :lipsrseal

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-20-2006, 03:38 PM
DAVISDVD has reported the following:

"A single-disc edition will arrive with a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras will include "The Volkswagen Toureg & King Kong" and "Wish You Were Here" features. Retail is $29.98. The double-disc special edition will also include the following exclusive bonus materials: Introduction by Peter Jackson, Post-Production Diaries 55-90 (nearly three hours of never-before-seen featurettes), "Kong's New York, 1933" (1930s New York comes alive in this fascinating piece that explores vaudeville, the skyscraper boom, the construction of the Empire State Building and more), "Skull Island: A Natural History" (travel with Peter Jackson and his crew and uncover the fascinating facts about the island's mysterious origins, reclusive inhabitants and jawdropping creatures). Retail is $30.98. Also be aware that an extended cut of the film is evidently in the works for release later in the year.

Extended. alright, Peter, dude, i lovd this flick and i'll glady shell otu the $$ for the two-disc and the bonus diaries and stuff, but how much more can you put into this flick?!!!! I guess we'll find out. :whip:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Extended? I should've known with PJ. Looks like I'll just wait for that one.

Slicker
05-20-2006, 08:43 AM
I guess I should put my thoughts on this movie here.

I saw it about a month or so ago and I was pleased with it. I didn't really have a problem with the length of the movie as I really didn't notice the time. I was entertained from nearly beginning to end (apparently I'm one of the few) and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I even watched it a second time just to be sure I liked it.

2-1B
05-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Slick, how would you compare King Long to Bore of the Worlds ? :)

I thought the gorilla film was better. :D

plasticfetish
05-20-2006, 12:27 PM
War of the Worlds was a big let down. (Translation: War of the Worlds sucked.) it looked good, but the script was terrible.

My one significant problem with King Kong, and I sort of wondered about this after the first time I saw it, is that it doesn't translate very well to the small screen. Having watched the DVD a few times now, it's pretty obvious that a movie this big only really plays well on a big-big screen. It's still fun and a good show, but there's no where near the amount of, "Wow, that's so huge!"

Banthaholic
05-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I actually enjoyed King Kong. The original was one of my favorite movies as a young kid, well that and of course Star Wars. I hadn't seen any of the other movies in years, but I had a free movie pass so I checked it out.

Even got the collectors dvd, though I know PJ will make me pay for it my releasing an extended one eventually. Any more news on that?

I loved Skull Island. Gave me a cool Jurassic Park kinda feel and I'm a fan of fantasy of that sorts.

General_Grievous
07-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Apparently there'll be a sneak preview of the King Kong Extended Edition DVD at Comic Con. It's amazing that they probably have close to an hour of deleted scenes left over. But I'll look forward to picking it up this X-mas.

2-1B
07-21-2006, 01:48 AM
Apparently there'll be a sneak preview of the King Kong Extended Edition DVD at Comic Con. It's amazing that they probably have close to an hour of deleted scenes left over.

Exactly, because the theatrical viewing felt un-edited as it was. :D

UKWildcat
07-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Here is some info on the Deluxe Extended Edition (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/king-kong3.html). Looks like this set is loaded. I knew they were coming out with the Extended Ed. set but I didn't know there was going to be a gift set.

A limited edition giftset, complete with a beautifully crafted King Kong figurine will also be available from the 14th. This should retail at around $79.98.

Can't wait to see what that looks like.

2-1B
07-21-2006, 12:07 PM
$80 retail so that should come out to around maybe $50 or $60 from the retail joints, eh? :)

El Chuxter
07-23-2006, 11:54 PM
The extra scene is a giant fish trying to eat the heroes. It's moronic. There's not enough space in the river they're travelling in to support such a large creature, and Adrian Brody holds his breath for what must be five full minutes. An extended version of a film that bordered on too long isn't necessary. It's sad that it seems no one has told Jackson when enough is enough.