PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Main Hero of Episode III?

JediTricks
06-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Although there are many heroic deeds in Revenge of the Sith, the movie's main hero goes beyond simple heroics to become the audience's chief protagonist and champion. However in this movie by itself, some of the movie's main characters do not succeed, another becomes the antagonist, while one main character shows his true face - that of a dictator who will create war to ensure his unique brand of peace.

That asks the question, what determines a hero in a film, is it merely the obvious "good guy" who fights for justice? What about someone who perseveres when the Republic is being destroyed around him? Or could the definition be stretched to include someone like the Emperor who doesn't care if he's a despot and simply is trying to create - by his own rules - order for the galaxy? You'll have to decide that for yourself when you vote.

JimJamBonds
06-27-2005, 11:01 PM
I say Obi-Wan, although he wouldn't want that label attached to himself. ROTS is set up to have Anakin be the hero but his turn negates him from being 'the guy' imho. As Obi Wan states before the duel starts his allegiance is to the Republic and democrary, not to a Empire with a leader that doesn't care about anything other then his own power.

Kidhuman
06-28-2005, 12:17 AM
I voted for Obi-Wan, he and Yoda did what needed to be done. Ben came closest to completing his mission. I am wondering if he figured Anakin would die there and it would end???

2-1B
06-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Obi-Wan, that's my guy.

Slicker
06-28-2005, 01:33 AM
Obi-Wan no doubts.

spaceant
06-28-2005, 05:25 AM
R2-D2!!!!!!

trandoshan666
06-28-2005, 06:38 AM
Without a doubt, it was Obi-Wan.

JediBoulton
06-28-2005, 06:55 AM
Obi-Wan !!

I believe HE should have the lightsaber that states BMF.

They must have switched that up somehow :rolleyes:

DarkArtist
06-28-2005, 08:01 AM
What no R2-D2, I mean come on he saved anakin, palpy and kenobi in the elevator shaft, fought off two super battle droid, helped rescue padme, and flew the starfighter while fighting off buzz droids. Give artoo his credit. :crazed:

waboritas
06-28-2005, 08:34 AM
I voted Obi Wan, but given the choice I would have voted for Jar Jar for not saying boo.

xwing_5
06-28-2005, 09:01 AM
I did not see R2D2 on the list.

I know that you are looking for the hero of EIII but R2 is the hero of all 6 films.

xwing_5

bobafrett
06-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Obi Wan Kenobi.

vader68
06-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Obi Wan Kenobi

zar
06-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Goodpoint, Dark Artist, R2 was definately a good soldier. However, looking at the greater cause, Ben, was who stepped up to the plate and almost completed his mission. Ben came closer than Yoda... considering the stakes, Ben simply kicked @ss, but you're right R2 does deserve credit.

DXiRoNMaN
06-28-2005, 11:21 AM
if anakin hadnt turned to the dark side when he did he might've been destroyed with the rest of the jedi, then who would've been able to stop Sidious?

of course he stopped Mace from finishing Sidious when he had the chance so....ya i guess Obi Wan

CaptainSolo1138
06-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Obi-Wan, hands down!

El Chuxter
06-28-2005, 12:10 PM
I am disturbed that Luke was not an option. :mad:

plasticfetish
06-28-2005, 01:22 PM
You're simply disturbed in general.

:)

I don't see this film as being about "heroes" really--maybe more the opposite. I voted Obi-Wan though, considering that he had to make some of the toughest choices.

(I'd almost vote for R2 as well, it's just too bad that he forgot how to do all of that flying and stuff by episode IV. ;) )

PloKoon2385
06-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Obi-Wan Kenobi, without question. I mean, seriously. There really is no competition.

joe-da
06-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Qui-Gon Jinn.

evenflow
06-28-2005, 02:40 PM
I actually want to say Uncle Owen. In some ways, he really is the hero.Also in that respect, I want to say Padme was the hero as well. They would be my choice. In a way, both Obi-Wan and Yoda failed, so they are excluded. Yoda didnt defeat Palpatine, and Obi-Wan should have killed Anakin.

Darth Christopher
06-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Palpatine! This was his movie all the way. And the actor playing Palpatine/Sidious was awesome - bravo Ian McDiarmid!

ROTJLuke
06-28-2005, 04:55 PM
He eventually turns back to the light side, but Anakin, he tried to save Padme at all costs, which I think is heroic...even if he then gets his a** kicked by Obi and falls to the dark side...

Darth Metalmute
06-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Padme Amidala.

Though she had a very small role in ROTS she was by far the most important person and the main hero. To be a hero you must achieve a goal for the greater good. Obi-Wan could have been the hero but his dismantling of Anakin
was incomplete. If he would have finished the job, he and Yoda would have slaughtered Palpatine, eliminating the existance of E4-E6. Palpatine and Anakin were evil therefore cannot be heroes. Yoda was so close to being the hero. It came down to which side of the chanceller pod he or the Emperor came down on. If Yoda gets the handle side he wins, the Emperor dies, Anakin will not be saved, Long Live The Republic. But the Emperor got the handle side while Yoda got the smooth side, saving Vader and starting 21 years of Imperial control.

Padme is the hero because she hangs on long enough to give birth the the hope of the Universe. If she dies before birth, the Emperor and Vader will rule forever. She shown unselfish strength by delievering the twins even though she dies of a very selfish reason.... (dying of a broken heart.... come on.... nobody dies of a broken heart. It would have made more sense to have the damage Anakin gave her to kill her.)

jedibear
06-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Padme Amidala.

Though she had a very small role in ROTS she was by far the most important person and the main hero...

Padme is the hero because she hangs on long enough to give birth the the hope of the Universe. If she dies before birth, the Emperor and Vader will rule forever. She shown unselfish strength by delievering the twins even though she dies of a very selfish reason.... (dying of a broken heart.... come on.... nobody dies of a broken heart. It would have made more sense to have the damage Anakin gave her to kill her.)

Darth Metalmute...

I liked your rational for choosing Padme til that last sentence. Despair is a powerful emotion that has the ability to cripple. Padme was an incredibly intelligent woman who let her heart lead her just once in her life...at the gateway to that arena on Geonosis. She was the one who tried to spell out what marrying Anakin would do to the both of them but in the end, she followed her feelings instead of her intellect. Betrayal is an incredible blow to love...and Anakin betrayed her by dashing her hopes that she could "change" him (instant doom for ANY relationship) and steer him away from his prideful selfish ways (remember the teasing at the picnic). She wrongly assumed that she and Anakin had a true partnership with their marriage, but Anakin's motives are always bourne of pride and possession. Yes, Anakin thought he was following the right path to save her from his dreams, but his motives were purely selfish, and Padme tragically realizes that at that final moment on the Mustafar platform. (And Natalie's performance in that scene totally nails the complexity of that moment of realization) The betrayal is as physical a blow to her as Anakin's force-choke. It makes perfect, tragic sense to have her die of a broken heart...

Maximillian Phokas
06-28-2005, 06:41 PM
I voted for Obi-Wan too. I actually thought about this one because while he wasn't the hero that "saved the day" (heck, he said "I've failed you, Anakin" in the film), he was able to succeed in salvaging what was left to save after Anakin's fall. He saved Padme from possible death at Anakin's hands, long enough for her to deliver her children. He successfully planned hiding the twins in the end, and delivered Luke to the Lars farm. Let's not forget he tracked down and killed General Grievous, and entered the Jedi Temple with Yoda and successfully reprogrammed the beacon to let any surviving Jedi escape.

A "hero" acts in a selfless manner, sacrificing his/her life if need be in order to achieve a greater end. So while Palpatine technically "won" in the film, his actions were solely and specifically for his own personal gain and power. Obi Wan would have sacrificed his life to save Anakin from the Dark Side. In that, he earns the right to be called "hero" even though his goals were not completely realized

nomad
06-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Jedibear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute
Padme Amidala.

Though she had a very small role in ROTS she was by far the most important person and the main hero...

Darth Metalmute...

I liked your rational for choosing Padme til that last sentence. Despair is a powerful emotion that has the ability to cripple. Padme was an incredibly intelligent woman who let her heart lead her just once in her life...at the gateway to that arena on Geonosis. She was the one who tried to spell out what marrying Anakin would do to the both of them but in the end, she followed her feelings instead of her intellect. Betrayal is an incredible blow to love...and Anakin betrayed her by dashing her hopes that she could "change" him (instant doom for ANY relationship) and steer him away from his prideful selfish ways (remember the teasing at the picnic). She wrongly assumed that she and Anakin had a true partnership with their marriage, but Anakin's motives are always bourne of pride and possession. Yes, Anakin thought he was following the right path to save her from his dreams, but his motives were purely selfish, and Padme tragically realizes that at that final moment on the Mustafar platform. (And Natalie's performance in that scene totally nails the complexity of that moment of realization) The betrayal is as physical a blow to her as Anakin's force-choke. It makes perfect, tragic sense to have her die of a broken heart...

Excellent posts...

I just want to point out one thing (For what ever it is worth)...
You're only going by the conclusions of a droid on what was killing Padme...
And remember... "If droids could think, none of us would be here".

I'm not saying that the droid was definately wrong...

It's all food for thought (Hurray for Star Wars!)

May the force be with you.

OC47150
06-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Obi-Wan, without a doubt. Yoda would be second.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Obi-Wan. He puts forth the most commitment, energy and effort and out of the choices listed and was the most successful in trying to preserve the Republic and the Jedi way-of-life.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-30-2005, 07:59 PM
I voted for Bail Organa. He had a lot to risk, being a high profile senator, but he saw what was happening to the Jedi and he took action. He didn't have Jedi skills, but he was able to help save Obi-Wan and Yoda. He will be a father to Leia and a supporter of the rebellion.

Qui-Long Gone
07-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Posty333, I also voted for Bail....and his job was the hardest.....consider,he raises Leia and has to endure 21 years of political corruption while maintaining underground connections with bringing down the Emperor.

He had so much to risk because he was forced to keep a public profile while subverting two of the most powerful villians in SW mythology: Vader and Palps.

Sure Yoda and Ben survive the "purge," but I think the old Jedi Council (Yoda, Ben, and the others) share some blame for Anakin's fall....they were blindsided by the Emperor and set Anakin up for failure by making him a double agent. Had they had more of Qui-Gone's attitude, Anakin is the one, they would have done a better job helping him....but since he was so exceptional, perhaps none of that school of Jedi could have steered him in the right path.

thatsmahdawg
07-04-2005, 04:24 PM
of the choices, i had to say bail organa, because obi wan didnt really do what he was suppose to, he should have finished the job, but of course it wouldnt be the epic we all obsess over, but i just figure bail actually helped both of them (yoda and obi) and helped play the role of "good little senator" so that luke and leia could grow up to defeat the empire, but honestly speaking, in my mind( although not a choice in the poll, r2 d2 is in actuality the hero of all six movies, without him, no one would be safe, think about it, watch every movie and you will se r2 doesnt get the respect he deserves

2-1B
07-05-2005, 12:03 AM
I think Obers should get some credit for pushing the plan to go back and change the signal to warn the stragglers . . . very selfless act by him.

JediTricks
07-05-2005, 07:57 PM
I almost didn't put Bail as a choice, I came up with him at the last minute simply to flesh out the options a little, looks like he's held up just as any other non-Kenobi option though.

As for the R2-D2 choice, it never entered my mind simply because R2's actions and motives were never global in Ep 3, instead they were mainly centered around his friends.