PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Apprentice/Quest questions (merged thread)

El Chuxter
06-20-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm trying to fill in the holes in my JA/JQ collection and read them all marathon style. I can't find a good checklist anywhere, and want to confirm that this is the entire series:

Jedi Apprentice: 18 books

Jedi Quest: 10 books

Jedi Apprentice: Special Edition: 2 books

Jedi Quest (AKA Jedi Quest: The Path to Truth)

Legacy of the Jedi

Secrets of the Jedi

I know these series tie very closely in with Boba Fett (6 books) and Last of the Jedi (1 book so far).

Anything missing?

gsr-jedi
06-20-2005, 10:48 PM
That looks like the entire series to me.

mastermatt24
06-20-2005, 11:21 PM
I can't find a good checklist anywhere
Look harder you must! jk. You have them right but heres a great website for books:
http://www.theforce.net/books/explore.asp

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm trying to fill in the holes in my JA/JQ/GOF/GODV collection and read them all marathon style. I can't find a good checklist anywhere, and want to confirm that this is the entire series:

Jedi Apprentice: 18 books

Jedi Quest: 10 books

Jedi Apprentice: Special Edition: 2 books

Jedi Quest (AKA Jedi Quest: The Path to Truth)

Legacy of the Jedi

Secrets of the Jedi

I know these series tie very closely in with Boba Fett (6 books) and Last of the Jedi (1 book so far).

Anything missing?I noticed that you forgot the Galaxy of Fear and [/i]Glove of Darth Vader[/i] series. Don't want to do that. The GOF has twelve classic tomes of literature, while the incomparable GODV has six equisite creations. :rolleyes:

mastermatt24
06-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Hey- I liked those books..... even if they were a little corney..

El Chuxter
06-21-2005, 12:08 PM
I plan to sludge through Galaxy of Fear soon. I can't wait to get to the part where Yoda helps Boba Fett on Dagobah. That ought to cause some serious post-AOTC cringing. :D

Kaoru-Kun
06-28-2005, 02:55 PM
I don't claim to be a "true" fan of Star Wars and I still have much to learn about it's universe however there is one set of books I have heard of which sound interesting, I believe they are called "Jedi Apprentice" and follow the life of Obi Wan Kenobi as he struggles to become a Padawan. I was simply wondering if anyone knew of any online shops where I can buy these books? Thank you in advance for any and all answers.

El Chuxter
06-28-2005, 03:05 PM
The series is indeed called "Jedi Apprentice." It's 18 books long, plus 2 "Special Editions." It also ties in very closely to "Jedi Quest," a series (10 paperbacks plus three hardcovers) about Anakin's training between Episodes 1 & 2.

Both series are still in print in their entirety, and are available at just about any online merchant that sells books. However, overstock.com lists a lot of their books merely as "Star Wars," and many have no pictures, so I'd recommend amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com.

ThePurpleSaber
06-28-2005, 03:28 PM
I've read up to book 3 in this series and went to all my local bookstores to find the next 2 and couldnt find any. I then asked a clerk when they might get some in and she checked and said the first couple(1-5 I believe) are not being published anymore, and as I've noticed I can't find any of the 18 books on shelves anymore so I wonder if it means all of them are not being published anymore. I then checked amazon.com and some of these books are going for ridiculous prices on there. Hopefully you will have better luck finding these books then me.

El Chuxter
06-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Holy crap! :eek: This must be a relatively new development.

It looks like some are easily available and some aren't, which doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense. I'm seeing idiots asking as high as $110 for individual books. It doesn't mean they're getting it, but you have to love the ridiculous "everything that's out of print is valuable" mentality eBay has given us. :rolleyes:

I'm going to contact Scholastic via e-mail and see if there's any plans to re-release these, either individually or in sets or collections. Because dissen nutsen.

Not to mention I'm still missing a few of these, and I'm not willing to drop even double digit amounts for them.

ThePurpleSaber
06-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I agree with you totally on paying higher then double digit pricing. I keep telling myself to check out scholastic but keep forgetting. Let me know what they say when you talk to them cause I really want this whole set but am not willing to pay the prices for them on e-bay/amazon.com.

El Chuxter
06-28-2005, 05:41 PM
I sent Scholastic an e-mail through their website asking about the status of the series, but didn't get any kind of confirmation back. Hopefully they received it.

I also tried to contact Lucasfilm, but every "Contact Us" or "Ask the Jedi Council" link goes to a "Page not found." That website is such a mess right now. I hope at some point they decide it's a good idea to actually link some buttons to pages there. :rolleyes:

"Patience. We must learn patience." There's a mentality of late among a lot of people that the instant something goes out of print, it's worth ten times to original price regardless of the demand. Like the Transformers: The War Within trade paperback. It's out of print, has been for almost two years now, and sellers ask ridiculous prices for it online. Yet I know of four Waldenbooks in the general area that I could walk into right now and pick up at least two copies of it.

Same thing with a book called How to Get on Jeopardy and Win. Out of print for almost five years, and I've seen it go for over $100 online, yet I found three copies at half cover price at a closeout dealer a few months ago.

These books are out there. They printed bazillions of them. They're not all in the hands of scalpers. Check your local bookstores, department stores, used bookstores, your closeout dealers, Salvation Army, whatever.

BTW, there's another thread about JA questions, so I'm merging the two together.

Edit: I've done some digging around on a few sites, and here's a list of what appears to be in print vs not for the JA series:

Easily obtainable at a reasonable price:

Tougher to find, but slightly closer to reasonable:
Special Edition #1

Sell the farm if you want to buy these online:
Special Edition #2

No rhyme or reason whatsoever, eh?

mastermatt24
06-28-2005, 08:02 PM
I see them all the time at used book stores and at borders/barenes and Noble. (ive gotten some great stuff at my used book store) keep looking guys.. youll find em. :)

mastermatt24
06-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Here's some of the good finds I got at my used book store:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b250/mastermatt24/?action=view&current=100_9600.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/b250/mastermatt24/?action=view&current=100_9603.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/b250/mastermatt24/?action=view&current=100_9601.jpg
I dont play the RPG game but these are great to look through and read.

InsaneJediGirl
06-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Used off of Amazon normally has good prices for Jedi Apprentice,but I have noticed the price has gone up. I'm missing about five including the special editions,the best place I have found is Books-A-Millon/Barnes and Noble . Much cheaper than what people want online.

Even found some old YJK,suprisingly in the adult section and not the "kiddie" area.

El Chuxter
06-29-2005, 02:28 PM
I got a sort of response from Scholastic. My comments are valuable to them (even though I'm about 99.99999999% sure they just went in the trash can).

I'll bug them about the series at the San Diego Comic Con, and I advise everyone else who is going and loves the series to do the same.

I also just checked amazon.com, and it looks like the same weird situation with some books being dirt cheap and some being outrageously overpriced applies to the Young Jedi Knights and Junior Jedi Knights series as well.

The indispensible Darth Maul Journal is also pretty pricey. But the Queen Amidale Journal can be had for a mere penny.

Go figure.

InsaneJediGirl
06-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Speaking of pricey :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/0439139376/ref=dp_olp_1//104-9783300-4669531?condition=all

$84.66?!?!?! I nearly died when I saw the price. I hope no SW fan is stupid enough to pay that for a childrens book.

mastermatt24
06-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Hell i would sell mine for that much if they would actually sell... :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
07-01-2005, 12:09 PM
The thing is, these aren't quite as hard to find as the prices might indicate. I found that very book last night at a smaller local bookstore for the whopping price of $4.99.

Of course, they did charge tax, so it was slightly higher. :)

These books are out there on store shelves. I'm going to try to set up some sort of trading network on this site (hopefully today, time permitting), so people who actually want to read them can get them for decent prices (or trade values) instead of them sitting on amazon for $80, gathering virtual dust.

mastermatt24
07-01-2005, 01:54 PM
That would be a nice thing to do. :D

El Chuxter
07-01-2005, 05:39 PM
The groundwork for a network has been formed in the Collector Clubs section of this very forum.

I also posted a checklist of the Jedi Apprentice, Young Jedi Knights, Junior Jedi Knights, and Galaxy of Fear books, noting which appear to be easiest and toughest to find (based upon a quick look at amazon.com).

So if you're missing any of the out of print young readers' books, check The Friends of Siri (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=29101).

(Okay, there's nothing there as of this posting, but that's why people need to check it out and post their needs.)

Tycho
07-04-2005, 02:35 PM
I haven't really paid attention to what was on the shelves at my Barnes & Nobel, Borders, etc. because I routinely scout the young reader shelves for new additions (recently being the Boba Fett stories and Last of the Jedi series).

However, I am amazed by what I'm reading.

What I did notice with Young Jedi Knights however is that the individual books are combined into 3-packs or 6-pack bound volumes.

I'd guess the same would be done with the Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest series.

I'm more surprised that many of you who I know to be Comic & Book fans since back in the Rogues' Gallery days, like El Chuxter and Bel Cam Jos, are missing JA or JQ books. I loved these that I was buying them as soon as they came out and reading them immediately. (I read my first Boba Fett book almost entirely on a mall bench outside the book store that I purchased it in).

These are excellent reads and ever since the days of Young Jedi Knights, I've held a fondness for the teenage reader series published for Star Wars. Their storylines often exceed the impressiveness with plot and "galactic significance" of those intended for adults.

mastermatt24
07-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Is the second last of the jedi out yet?

Tycho
07-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Is the second last of the jedi out yet?

No. I think I read that it'll come out in SEPTEMBER!???

I know...Sept???

After TPM and AOTC, there was a quality young-reader book out every other month it seemed. - every month between Jedi Quest and Boba Fett following Ep. 2.

With the popularity of ROTS, I think the only reason they aren't publishing more is because Lucasfilm hasn't gotten everything straightened out with their TV show, and other arenas, to know what they want to allow in paperback. Jude Watson can usually crank out good stories awfully quick.

mastermatt24
07-05-2005, 12:40 AM
No. I think I read that it'll come out in SEPTEMBER!???

I know...Sept???

Hey- its fine with me.. Ive got enough to catch up on.. :rolleyes:
Oh- And I wont be going to Comic Con :ermm: The last day of summer school for me is on the 14th at 1:00 and on the 15th I leave for Alaska and have to get up the next morning at 4:30 to catch a 7:00AM flight..

Tycho
07-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Hey, I've never been to Alaska. I've probably been to Comic Con for 10 years in a row or more (because I live in San Diego).

I'd trade places with you for Alaska for the week for sure (if you'll be so kind as to feed the cats).

El Chuxter
07-05-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm more surprised that many of you who I know to be Comic & Book fans since back in the Rogues' Gallery days, like El Chuxter and Bel Cam Jos, are missing JA or JQ books. I loved these that I was buying them as soon as they came out and reading them immediately. (I read my first Boba Fett book almost entirely on a mall bench outside the book store that I purchased it in).

Yeah, I love 'em too. But when I was short on cash and could either picked up Sith Training Maul or the latest JA book, well, who would ever have realized the HTF one a couple of years later would be the book? lol

mastermatt24
07-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Hey, I've never been to Alaska. I've probably been to Comic Con for 10 years in a row or more (because I live in San Diego).

I'd trade places with you for Alaska for the week for sure (if you'll be so kind as to feed the cats).
I dont know.. I dont think I would lol From what Ive looked Comic Con doesnt sound as good as last year. I didnt even see any authors on the list (am I wrong??) And if I did trade places I would feed the cats- my brother has to feed ours while were gone (he didnt want to take off work from target :rolleyes: ... hes like that- he didnt even want to go to CC last year)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm more surprised that many of you who I know to be Comic & Book fans since back in the Rogues' Gallery days, like El Chuxter and Bel Cam Jos, are missing JA or JQ books. I loved these that I was buying them as soon as they came out and reading them immediately.I gave up collecting the figures when ca$h became an issue, but I never stopped picking up new books (fiction that is, I did stop on Essentials and Dictionaries, etc.).

Is the second last of the jedi out yet?Would that make it The Second-To-Last of the Jedi? The Next-To-Last of the Jedi :p

El Chuxter
07-15-2005, 08:49 AM
I got to speak briefly with a Scholastic rep at Comic-Con yesterday. They share our pain regarding the Jedi Apprentice series. :)

Seriously, though, they are asked about the series constantly and are trying to work out some sort of retailer-exclusive reprint volumes. She mentioned Barnes and Noble or Wal-Mart as a possibility, but after the dismal failure of the hardbound exclusive "Glove of Darth Vader" series that languished on shelves at B&N for years, I somehow doubt they'll be the one to pick this up.

InsaneJediGirl
07-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Cant wait to see if someone actually picks this up and the plans go through.Only have a few more JA to get,but the three-packs would be worth buying just for the one I need :) Chux,do you know if this included the whole line,including the special editions or just 1-18?

El Chuxter
02-07-2006, 08:55 AM
No clue. :(

I just saw this at starwars.com (http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/young/news20060206.html):

Scholastic Collects a Legacy of Secrets
February 06, 2006

Loyalty and courage. Peace and justice. Master and apprentice. So the balance has been for many generations within the halls of the Jedi Temple -- until now.

Two smash hit books from Scholastic Inc. and Jude Watson have been merged into one paperback volume. In Legacy of the Jedi, Lorian Nod emerges as a promising Padawan apprentice. Meanwhile, another apprentice by the name of Dooku discovers the dark side for the first time, ultimately threatening the lives of Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Anakin Skywalker.

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn returns in Secrets of the Jedi, embarking on an urgent mission to foil the mass assassination of planetary leaders. A generation later, the fate of the Clone Wars will hinge on Qui-Gon's success.

This special collection gathers both generation-spanning tales, and includes all new bonus material from Jude Watson: a brand new story featuring Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tatooine. This collected version is due out this May from Scholastic, Inc.

So in other words, we're getting a paperback of two of the hardcovers, but not the ones that are impossible to find. Perfect logic there. And to top it off, a new Jude Watson story for those of us who already have them?

Wonderful. Simply wonderful. (Insert "sarcastic" smiley here.)

Of course, the supposed "Labyrinth of Evil/Revenge of the Sith" paperback that was supposed to have a bonus CD-ROM never materialized, so maybe this won't, either.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
So in other words, we're getting a paperback of two of the hardcovers, but not the ones that are impossible to find. Perfect logic there. And to top it off, a new Jude Watson story for those of us who already have them?

Wonderful. Simply wonderful. (Insert "sarcastic" smiley here.)
I couldn't find the "sarastic" smiley, so I'll go with the "embarrassment" one instead: :o Sad. For the most part, Scholastic had avoided the trickery of "special story" addition. They have sadly fallen under the influence of the Profits of the Dark Side.

InsaneJediGirl
02-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Well the "paperback volumes" will be a waste of shelf space. :( Would have been nice to see the rarer ones released instead.