PDA

View Full Version : TRU/Amazon is blowing out some Simpsons playsets.

2-1B
07-01-2005, 04:27 AM
Sorry if this is old news but I thought I would mention in case anyone still collects these. :confused: Amazon.com is selling a few sets on the cheap, the ones I noticed are:

Exclusive Simpsons Flashback Playset with Figures $5.29

Court Room with Judge Snyder $5.29

KBBL Radio Station $9.98

Moe's Bar Environment $14.98

Future Burns and Bobo Smithers $9.98

:confused:

Rocketboy
07-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Not only that, but I was at TRU the other day and picked up the original Homer and Monty figures for only $3 each!
CaptainSolo1138 picked up Barney and Flanders for the same price.
They also had a Bart and Krusty.

Did they find a misplaced box froma few years ago in the backroom? :D

CaptainSolo1138
07-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Did they find a misplaced box froma few years ago in the backroom? :D
I thought the same thing. :D

I really loved the Simpsons line but I think it got too big for it's own britches (or 'breetches' for ye olde tyme spellers). Once the figures became harder and harder to find I gave up and only got the characters I couldn't live without ("Disco Stu doesn't advertise!"). But this is a deal I can't pass on and will certainly check it out!

megaprime33
07-01-2005, 03:02 PM
I thought the same thing. :D

I really loved the Simpsons line but I think it got too big for it's own britches (or 'breetches' for ye olde tyme spellers). Once the figures became harder and harder to find I gave up and only got the characters I couldn't live without ("Disco Stu doesn't advertise!"). But this is a deal I can't pass on and will certainly check it out!
I totally agree. The simpsons line was great and had so much potential but there were just too many figures that were so hard to find. i remember when the second wave came out, the only thing you could find from the first was Homer and Krusty and that's it. Good luck finding a burns. It was exactly like MOTU line. Too many of 2 characters and not enough of the rest.

Ji'dai
07-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Those Series 1 figures that you guys are finding at TRU were re-releases that Playmates sent out shortly after the line was cancelled. They were either trying to make a last buck or were offering the originals again for those who missed them the first time around. There were a couple more figures planned for re-release but apparently it never came to be.

Luuuuuuke
07-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Those Series 1 figures that you guys are finding at TRU were re-releases that Playmates sent out shortly after the line was cancelled. They were either trying to make a last buck or were offering the originals again for those who missed them the first time around. There were a couple more figures planned for re-release but apparently it never came to be.

Are you sure they're re-releases? I was under the impression they never got far with the re-releases. If you look at the packaging, I believe it's old packaging, not 2004 or 2005.
I think it's kind of odd that the Flashback set, which I never ever saw at retail, is selling for only $5.24, but the KBBL, which wasn't a very attractive set, and only has two less than memorable characters, is still selling for close to 10 bucks. I think I got the "Flashback" set for about $15. I should have waited, but it seemed like a really good price then.
I agree that this line went too long considering how difficult it became to find certain figures. I pretty much quit collecting all the figures at about wave 12 or something. They also released too many obscure characters that just weren't that interesting to begin with. But it was a very attractive line.

Ji'dai
07-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Are you sure they're re-releases? I was under the impression they never got far with the re-releases. If you look at the packaging, I believe it's old packaging, not 2004 or 2005.
Yep, they are re-releases. The only difference between the originals and the re-releases is the re-released cards have embossed datestamps. So the re-release cardstock may have the older copyrights but you can tell they're reissues due to the embossed datestamp. Unscrupulous eBay dealers might be able to pass off re-releases as originals if the buyers are unaware of the datestamps since by all appearances they look like the original releases.

I wouldn't mind getting a Moe's Bar but I'd prefer it drop below $10. But I don't have a Moe to go in there anyway. I did buy the Future Burns set shortly before christmas last year but missed the sale and paid $15 for it.

CaptainSolo1138
07-05-2005, 07:46 AM
I never noticed the date stamp on them (and I'm and opener so the cards are loooong gone), but what chracters are shown on the back of the re-releases? The Ned and Barney I picked up showed only the first twelve figures on the back.

Ji'dai
07-05-2005, 01:41 PM
I never noticed the date stamp on them (and I'm and opener so the cards are loooong gone), but what chracters are shown on the back of the re-releases? The Ned and Barney I picked up showed only the first twelve figures on the back.

I'm an opener too so my cards are in storage (along with the figs, as it happens). Since the re-release cardstock is the same as the original Series 1 releases (except for the datestamp), the graphics/artwork should be the same.

Ned and Barney were both Series 2 releases (each series had six figures) so that would explain the 12-back card. I'm guessing the Homer and Bart reissues would only show the first six figs on the back since they were in Series 1.