PDA

View Full Version : Happy Canada Day!

jjreason
07-01-2005, 12:24 PM
As per title. My beloved nation turns 138 years young today, and she's as beautiful (and polite :D ) as ever. So grab a Kokanee, turn on your DVD of 2002 Olympic hockey highlights or Trailer Park Boys and join in the celebration!

JimJamBonds
07-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Would my watching of 'Strange Brew' count? :)

Exhaust Port
07-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Hoser!!!!!

Slicker
07-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Seeing as I'm from Michigan then that means it's our birthday too. Too bad Canada isn't as cool as Michigan.

mabudonicus
07-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Wheeeeeee!!!!
Too bad the damn Beer stores are all closed here in Ontario, as it was hot last night and we put a nasty dent in our supplies of the Golden Throat Charmer (RIPPAH!!)

And jj- I didn't realize that people actually drank that stuff, learn something everyday I guess :D

I think I'm gonna ride down to market square and see if there's any nuttiness to be had, it's too hot to stay indoors anymore :beard:
Play Safe fellows!!

And to Slicker- MICHIGAN???? LMAO!!! You will eat your words when you goofs finally make the big road-trip ;)

Slicker
07-01-2005, 01:26 PM
If I make the trip hopefully I get to see some polar bears and eskimos. And maybe some of them killer computer possums.:p

Kidhuman
07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
I think I will watch a hockey movie today. Perhaps Miracle or Slapshot.

CaptainSolo1138
07-01-2005, 02:01 PM
You will eat your words when you goofs finally make the big road-trip ;)
I'm torn on what to see first: the big nickle or the huge smokestack :D

Happy Canada Day to you, jj and mabs!

BTW, Michigan is just Canada with guns. :p

Rocketboy
07-01-2005, 02:46 PM
I think I will watch a hockey movie today. Perhaps Miracle or Slapshot.Or Mystery, Alaska or Happy Gilmore (hey, it's part hocky).

Ji'dai
07-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Too bad we didn't conquer Canada during the War of 1812, it would've made some nice additional states. We could have added your biological, technological, and cultural distinctiveness to our own. You would have become one with U.S.

JimJamBonds
07-02-2005, 12:24 AM
Too bad we didn't conquer Canada during the War of 1812, it would've made some nice additional states. We could have added your biological, technological, and cultural distinctiveness to our own. You would have become one with U.S.

Hey lots not forget that hunk of Maine that the US got from England during the war. While the US would have gotten the York area, Michigan (both mittens) and Wisconsin would be English domain. Also who knows about a good chunk of the Old Northwest as well. I'm not sure too many of you care about that I'm happy to be living in the US and I'm guessing Cap Solo is pleased too so it deals with two people on this board. lol

JimJamBonds
07-02-2005, 01:00 AM
I've decided to change my plan, instead as my way of showing my love for Canada (which I have to say has some FINE looking ladies working at the border ;) ) I'm going to watch the Kids in the Hall!

Bobby Fett
07-02-2005, 01:18 AM
Let's hear it for Canada, eh?

Any country that has it's own line of Star Wars toys is okay by me!

2-1B
07-02-2005, 02:20 AM
For more than three centuries, the image of Canadian beer has been one of cleanliness and freshness. We have the early settlers and traders to thank for that well-deserved reputation because they were the country's first brewers. After Jean Talon built Canada's first commercial brewery in 1668 in Quebec City, beer making became a cottage industry for the next century.

In 1786 John Molson established his first brewery in Montreal. This marked the beginning of the industry's development period as small, independent breweries began to open across the country. In Nova Scotia, Alexander Keith founded a brewery in 1829 and eleven years later Thomas Carling opened his Brewing & Malting Company in London, Ontario. In 1847, Labatt also entered the scene in London. By the 1870's brewing was becoming a modern industry with brewers scattered across the country, from the Maritimes to British Columbia.

Throughout the years, the Canadian brewing industry has survived adversity, including global depressions in the mid 1870's and 1930's, two World Wars, and Prohibition.

At one time in Ontario, there were over 300 breweries in more than 130 cities, towns, and villages across the province, from Ayr (Ayr Brewery, 1857-1864) to Waterloo (Kuntz Park Brewery, 1844-1944).

According to beer historian and writer Ian Bowering, the brewing industry has been part of Ontario's heritage since the arrival of English settlers and the British army. Brewing in Ontario was an ideal pioneer industry, writes Bowering, in his book The Art and Mystery of Brewing in Ontario. Before artificial refrigeration, brewing and malting could only be conducted in the late fall, winter and early spring, allowing otherwise idle farmers an opportunity to spend the winter months profitably. Maltsters, in particular, were important businessmen in farm communities.

Ontario's brewing heritage was sharply divided by prohibition in 1916. Temperance closed the vast majority of small regional family operations. When prohibition was repealed, a number of syndicates tried to revive the fortunes of the small breweries but were unsuccessful. Restrictive distribution laws, the Great Depression, and organized, centralized adequately funded competition capable of delivering a good, well-advertised product soon led to consolidation.

Eventually, the industry developed and prospered due largely to efficient distribution systems, quality control, modern production methods, and dedicated workers. By 1990 there were 62 brewing plants operating in every province except Prince Edward Island and the brewing and marketing of beer was contributing more than $10 billion to the Canadian economy. Those early settlers and traders would be astonished to learn that the local employment impact of the country's beer industry is nearly 100,000 direct and related jobs.

From the beginning, the brewing industry in Canada has played a major role in the country's heritage, contributing greatly to our culture in arts and sports. There is an on-going commitment from the brewers to reduce alcohol misuse through the continuation of research and the expenditure of millions of dollars into the study of social issues affecting the lives of Canadians. This attitude allows Canada's brewers to maintain their status as responsible members of the community.

The ever-evolving history of the Canadian beer industry is undergoing dramatic changes in the 21st century. A number of factors including the recessions, environmental issues, breakdown of provincial barriers, free trade, more beer in Canada, and decreased consumption is changing the face of the brewing industry. The early beer pioneers overcame difficulties just as the present day industry will, through a process of change to retain its reputation as brewers of some of the best beers in the world.

jjreason
07-02-2005, 02:50 AM
If I make the trip hopefully I get to see some polar bears and eskimos. And maybe some of them killer computer possums.:p

I love these Michinan types - we had guests back when I was a kid who drove 12 hours DUE SOUTH to London then asked if they could go see some polar bears and Eskimoes when they got there...... :D

One thing, Ji'dai - your "didn't" in sentence #1 should be a "couldn't" :p :D

Oh, and Caesar - you did some excellent research on your Brewing in Canada paper. Great stuff. :D

mabudonicus
07-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Ahh JJ- even with the edit you failed to address kokanee- why am I not surprised?? ;)

:beard:

jjreason
07-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Sorry, Man. We don't have "Blue Light" out here, so I jumped on the Kokanee bandwagon when I got to Prince Rupert. I don't know what it's like there (I know they started putting it out for a bit, do they still?), but here it's about as good as "fast food" beer gets. Nice and light but still has lots of flavour.

JimJamBonds
07-02-2005, 05:05 PM
For more than three centuries...

Geez first you didn't reference Black Sabith in that paper on the Iron Brigade and now you don't tell us where you lifted that entry from! Professor Rodesh must be rolling in his grave. ;) You sir are worse then Stephen Ambrose. :p

2-1B
07-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Oh, and Caesar - you did some excellent research on your Brewing in Canada paper. Great stuff. :D

Thanks ! I worked REALLY hard at that, it took forever to learn how to "copy and paste" . . . :p

Geez first you didn't reference Black Sabith in that paper on the Iron Brigade and now you don't tell us where you lifted that entry from! Professor Rodesh must be rolling in his grave.

We can only hope that

a) JR is not deceased
b) he isn't registered at SSG

:eek:

JimJamBonds
07-03-2005, 04:07 PM
We can only hope that

a) JR is not deceased
b) he isn't registered at SSG

:eek:

"I have failed him Jim Jam, I have failed him."
- Prof. Andrew Kersten to Jim Jam after being told about Caesar's error. :D

El Chuxter
07-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Mmmmmmm, Molson's. . . . .

Why is it that all English-speaking nations can brew excellent beer except for the US?

And, well, Australian beer sucks, too.

2-1B
07-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Good one Jim Jammers. ;)

Chux, I won't discriminate, I'll just say that I think ALL beer sucks. :p Really, I don't like it.

mabudonicus
07-04-2005, 08:11 AM
JJ- Yeah, we have the Kokanee here too, but as far as I know the "pure mountain water" comes from Hamilton "mountain" , not the actual Mount Kokanee- I actually drank a couple while we were out there and it is actually pretty good if you get the actual stuff, but the stuff they make out here is a joke

Chux- you'll be pleased to know that Molson got bought out by Coors so either our beer is gonna get worse (if you think Molsons stuff is "good" in the first place) or the beer down there will get better... Funny side effect of this is that Molsons had to drop the "I am Canadian" ad campaign since it was no longer true (I think it's been replaced with "it starts here")

pegger
07-04-2005, 09:14 PM
I think I will watch a hockey movie today. Perhaps Miracle or Slapshot.

As a Canadian, I am truely insulted that these 2 movies were mentioned in the same line......

jjreason
07-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Mmmmmmm, Molson's. . . . .

Why is it that all English-speaking nations can brew excellent beer except for the US?

And, well, Australian beer sucks, too.

I think there are 2 reasons: the amount required to keep you guys going is 10 times what would be needed to fuel the Canadian population (you have 10 times the people). How could you taste the love in that much beer?

Secondly, you're used to paying about $0.13 per beer, right? We have to pay well over that - right around $1.50 per bottle from the beer store. You get what you pay for. :)

Oh, and I personally think Miller Genuine Draft down there is just fine, but I haven't been drinking any beer in the states over the past 15 years. One week to go..........

Kidhuman
07-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Secondly, you're used to paying about $0.13 per beer, right?

WHat? .13 cents a bottle? NEgative. Maybe for skink beer, but not anyting decent. A six pack of cans is about 4.50.

JimJamBonds
07-04-2005, 11:54 PM
WHat? .13 cents a bottle? NEgative. Maybe for skink beer, but not anyting decent. A six pack of cans is about 4.50.

You forgot to factor in the exchange rate there! :D

El Chuxter
07-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Caesar, I'm mostly with you. I enjoy the stuff with a high alcohol content (Canadian), or the stuff that you need a fork to drink (English, Irish). Everything else is only good for cooking! :)

The Overlord Returns
07-09-2005, 12:30 PM

Instead, we stormed your capital and burned the presidential home to the ground, becoming responsible for "The White House" name in the process!

As for Canadian beer, the big two, Molson's and Labatts, have sucked for years now. Thankfully, Canada's proud brewing tradition continues on with the vast array of microbreweries we can call our own. Until recently you couldn't find a better pint of Lager in the world than Creemore Springs Premium. Unfortunately, they sold themselves to Coors-Molsons, and I had to give up my favourite pint on principle. I've sinced moved on to Wellington's Best Bitter, a fine pint indeed.

Ji'dai
07-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Instead, we stormed your capital and burned the presidential home to the ground, becoming responsible for "The White House" name in the process!

Yeah, the British burning of Washington was in retaliation for American forces burning the Canadian capital of York (Toronto) the year before. During the York attack, the city defenders rigged a rather large underground mine that killed dozens of American troops including General Pike (of Pike's Peak fame). Angry US troops burned York to the ground as a result.

2-1B
07-10-2005, 01:29 AM
I like the Labatt Bear.

mabudonicus
07-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Ahhh, TOR (funny how the acronym works out there, I sorta never noticed that til right now)
It was sad news indeed when I heard that Creemore went down- back a few years ago when they made UrBock available in the 500 ml bottles was a golden time, then they messed it all up by putting it in them little 330 ml "euro" bottles and charging almost double the price per volume

A brewery just opened up here in St.Catharines, I am friends with the master brewer- they make a product called "Niagara's BEST blonde" and from what I know it is available in the big smoke, you should check it out if ya get the chance, it's an excellent product.
Niagara Brewing used to be good (Olde Jack especially) but for some stupid unknown reason they switched ALL thier recipes when they re-formatted their packaging a few months back, so they're off the list too...

Steamwhistle is decent but I am not a big fan of clear/green bottle beer for some reason, gotta be brown glass or it's just not the same :beard:

CaptainSolo1138
07-11-2005, 12:08 PM
As for Canadian beer, the big two, Molson's and Labatts, have sucked for years now.
I've been on a HUGE molson binge right now. I think it's a really smooth, good tasting beer and since I had so many freaking empties laying around, I decided to start collecting the "Twin Label" bottles. I know of at least 213 of those bad lads. I have alot of drinking ahead of me.....