PDA

View Full Version : Old Sears Catalogue

Rocketboy
07-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Found a few pages of the Sears catalogue from 1980. Here a few scans. Great nostalgia.
Look at the price of that AT-AT (remember this was 25 years ago!)!

AT-AT (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Rocketboy78/Other/Sears-ATAT.gif)

Wampa, AT-ST (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Rocketboy78/Other/Sears-Wampa.gif)

Slave 1 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Rocketboy78/Other/Sears-Slave1.gif)

Hoth Base (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Rocketboy78/Other/Sears-Base.gif)

Figures (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Rocketboy78/Other/Sears-Figures.gif)

megaprime33
07-01-2005, 10:00 PM
You know it's funny I actually spent less money on the newer released AT-AT than what the original sold for 25 years ago. And I think the newer one is better.

Rocketboy
07-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Yeah, that was my point. Image the price if it were adjusted for inflation!

Ji'dai
07-02-2005, 12:27 AM
I always loved going through the new department store christmas catalogs every year. Those Sears pics look an awful lot like the ones in the Kenner mini-catalogs.

I paid $39.95 for my AT-AT at Service Merchandise on clearance. The list price was $64.95 and regular price was $44.84 (See photo of my vintage box price tag).

I remember wanting the AT-AT so badly but my parents would never get it for me. Finally I bought it myself with my birthday money one summer, probably a few years after it was released, maybe '82 or even '83. We'd stop by Service Merchandise on our family weekend shopping trips and I'd practically drool over the snow walker on the shelf, which was likely the very last one in my part of the world to boot.

I remember going to the store after getting my birthday money and calmly walking as quickly as possible to the toy aisle and vainly searching for the last large ESB vehicle I needed.

It was nowhere to be found!

But wait, there, up on the top shelf!

Could it be?

Yes, there it was!

After asking a store employee to retrieve the box from it's high perch, I held the AT-AT in my arms, and not just as a browser this time - oh no, not this time, but as a purchaser. Then I noticed that it was cheaper than I anticipated. Wow, it wasn't the princely sum I had expected, but on sale for practically five dollars less! I couldn't believe my good fortune!

Hugging the AT-AT tightly to my chest for fear of it being snatched away by another customer - for surely they knew the value of such a cool vehicle as well - I quickly but calmly proceeded to checkout with my prize. At long last, the AT-AT was mine!

LusiferSam
07-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the scans. I love to look back on those old catalogs. My sister and I would drool over the X-mas catalogs as soon as they had came out. I really wish I had the foresight to some of those catalog, because now they are just fuzzy pictures in my mind. A quick correction on the date, I'd said its '81 or '82 judging by the figures (I lean to '82 because of Zuckuss).

Kidhuman
07-02-2005, 01:56 AM
The memories. I loved looking through the catalog pointing out what I wanted to the parents. I just dont remember the Imperial ATtack base being a Sears exclusive. I got mine at TRU if I remember correctly

Fluke Skywalker
07-02-2005, 04:50 AM
Hey thanks for those! WOW! I can't believe some of those prices! The Salve I was almost as much as the AOTC version! ($16.99 VS $19.99)

I need to call my parents and thank them! I always got the big stuff, like the 'Death star' and 'AT-AT' for Christmas and now I know why. And we always had the JC Penny catalog instead of the Sears so this was especially neat to see.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2005, 10:11 AM
I noticed the "Price After Rebate" disclaimers... hmm. I loved the "sets" of figures they had; they tried to group common characters, but didn't always choose correctly. I, too, was one of the many who pined away for the "unattainable" AT-AT, so when it came out in the POTF2 version, I did not wait (as I usually do) for the price to drop. I shelled out the $79.95 to make sure I got one. Worth it, too. :greedy: I think Sears was still doing catalogs into the POTF2 lines, because I seem to have a memory of some of the new figures posed in the style and background of the old catalogs.

Rocketboy
07-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Good eye, LusiferSam. It was indeed 82.
There is also a little blub on the page that says "Get a free gift figure from 'Revenge of the Jedi' when you buy any 6 figures."

KH and B-CJ, maybe it started out as a Sears exclusive. The rebate for the Slave 1 was a Kenner $2 rebate somehow. Don't have the page with that info.

I have the entire pages, which feature the Rebel Transport and Imperial Cruiser, among others. And I have a 3rd page that has the R2 and 3PO alarm clock and character bubble bath.
I can't post the whole page(s) since Photobucket has a size limit, but if anyone can host them, I can send 'em off.

plasticfetish
07-04-2005, 03:20 AM
This is a great idea for a thread... gives me a good idea for a new section in the Database also.

I've got access to all sorts of old store catalogs. I'll see what I can dig up. :)

Exhaust Port
07-04-2005, 06:45 AM
Hey thanks for those! WOW! I can't believe some of those prices! The Salve I was almost as much as the AOTC version! ($16.99 VS $19.99)

What cost $16.99 in 1980 would cost $43.15 in 2005.

Toys are definately cheaper now.

I paid $39.95 for my AT-AT at Service Merchandise on clearance. The list price was $64.95 and regular price was $44.84

List Price = $164.95
Regular Price = $113.88
Your Price = $101.46

Truly amazing how expensive those toys were when orginally released. Here's the online inflation calculator I used.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

mabudonicus
07-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Hee Hee "Hoth Yoda"

Thanks for posting this stuff RB- I remember a few times I actually tore the pages out of catalogues when I was visiting friends of my parents- I figured if they didn't have kids they would never know the difference :beard:

Kidhuman
07-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Nice mabs, maybe they were collectors too.