PDA

View Full Version : IKEA all Glass display for our busts

Turbowars
07-02-2005, 12:40 PM
I just put it together and it was very easy. It's 5' 4-1/4" high, 16 1/4" wide and 14 1/2" deep. It has a veneered wood top and bottom. It has a hole on the top for a light that I bought there as well for 6.99. The case was 59.99. Damn cheap for a case that looks this good. I haven't put my bust in it yet, so I'll post pics of that later. Oh and the shelf spacing is average of 15 1/4". Theres 4 shelves. Perfect for GG statues. It's called DETOLF.

Reefer Shark
07-02-2005, 03:57 PM
I was checking those out at Ikea also. I would love to buy a few, but I just don't have any place to put them...

They do look very nice, and would be perfect for GG, Kotobukiya, and Master Replicas IMO.

darko666
07-02-2005, 10:25 PM
those cases do look nice, my brother has a couple and they are filled with various collectibles and masks. having the light is a nice feature. i noticed in the SW magazine and also at CIII, somewhere in the back page of the zine, they advertised for a SW display case. i'm gonna hold out on buying a display case until the SW one is released, they look awesome.

Jayspawn
07-02-2005, 11:03 PM
You're killin me guys, I need to see some pictures!

Turbowars
07-02-2005, 11:26 PM
those cases do look nice, my brother has a couple and they are filled with various collectibles and masks. having the light is a nice feature. i noticed in the SW magazine and also at CIII, somewhere in the back page of the zine, they advertised for a SW display case. i'm gonna hold out on buying a display case until the SW one is released, they look awesome.Yeah, I would like one of those too, but they wont be 59.99. Probably 4 times that.

Turbowars
07-02-2005, 11:27 PM
You're killin me guys, I need to see some pictures!I'll take a pic tonight and see if I can get it posted. I just got a new Digi cam so give me a few to get it going.

gsr-jedi
07-03-2005, 01:00 AM
I saw those last time I was at IKEA (is it supposed to be spelled with all caps), and I liked it better than the one I've currently got, the Nartorp, which I got passed on to me, since we've had it for like 6~7 years (even though IKEA just opened in November here in AZ)

Turbowars
07-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Here you go. I put a few of the busts in real quick to show the size.

2-1B
07-03-2005, 01:49 AM
That's damn cool Turbs, congrats on a great case at a sweet price. Looks nice. :)

Turbowars
07-03-2005, 01:56 AM
Thanks you Sir. I might get another before IKEA discontinues them.

2-1B
07-03-2005, 03:19 AM
Good idea, too bad there isn't an IKEA around here or I would load up on a few for myself, even if it meant storing one for awhile before I even need it.

I hate buying display furniture (like the DVD shelves I have) and then later finding that they are discontinued when I want another one.

Jayspawn
07-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Thats a great looking case for that price, thanks for the pic Turbo!

If only we had an IKEA store here in Colorado.

Turbowars
07-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Do they ship? I tell you one thing, the damn thing is heavy. I bet it would cost more for shipping than the case itself.

The way it was packed in the thin box I was afraid that some of the glass panels might me broken, but they were fine.

Reefer Shark
07-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Good idea, too bad there isn't an IKEA around here or I would load up on a few for myself, even if it meant storing one for awhile before I even need it.

I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I'm afraid I might break the glass while it's in storage.

JediTricks
07-04-2005, 01:23 AM
Turbo, nice find, but what's the name of it? Or is it part of a system line? That's one thing I really wish IKEA would work on, they don't have a numbering system so you have to remember their crazy names and exactly which sizes you want just to ask if anything's in stock.

Also, as you're a fellow SoCal-er, how would you rate the stability of it on the floor and the twist factor? During the quake a few weeks ago, my IKEA bookcase in the living room moved a lot but didn't let anything fall down. I'm on the 4th floor and it's all carpet, so with glass I want to be pretty careful.

Turbowars
07-04-2005, 02:11 AM
Turbo, nice find, but what's the name of it? Or is it part of a system line? That's one thing I really wish IKEA would work on, they don't have a numbering system so you have to remember their crazy names and exactly which sizes you want just to ask if anything's in stock.

Also, as you're a fellow SoCal-er, how would you rate the stability of it on the floor and the twist factor? During the quake a few weeks ago, my IKEA bookcase in the living room moved a lot but didn't let anything fall down. I'm on the 4th floor and it's all carpet, so with glass I want to be pretty careful.It's called DETOLF. I think I posted that in the very 1st post. It's not part of a line as far as I know. I have wood Floors through out my place, so It's very stable. I'm still going to bolt it to the wall and earth quake puddy all the busts. It has 4 little feet that are about 3/4" high and 1" wide. If It was to sit on carpet I would for sure to bolt it to the wall. The case is put together very well and it feels very strong. It has a inner steel frame that bolts to the top at 4 corners and so does the bottom. For a 4 sided glass case it's put together very well, unlike some of IKEA's crap.

JediTricks
07-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Yeah, you did. Dunno how I missed that, I read every single line except that one, right down to the part about being perfect for GG statues. Sorry about that. They don't have it on their website, so I'll have to go down there and check it out in person.

Thanks for the 411 on it, sounds pretty good. It definitely looks nicer AND cheaper than most of the stuff they've been putting out the past few years.

Hellboy
07-05-2005, 06:24 PM
That looks way sweet Turbo and it just so happens I've been looking for something exactly like this to hold my mini busts and statues. The closest IKEA to me is in Seattle which is 3.5 hours away from Portland but at $60 each I just might make the trip up north and grab 3 or 4 of them.

You mentioned the possibility of these being discontinued. Is this just a guess based on past experiences with IKEA product or did you actually hear something that made you believe this will happen?

Turbowars
07-05-2005, 06:43 PM
That looks way sweet Turbo and it just so happens I've been looking for something exactly like this to hold my mini busts and statues. The closest IKEA to me is in Seattle which is 3.5 hours away from Portland but at $60 each I just might make the trip up north and grab 3 or 4 of them.

You mentioned the possibility of these being discontinued. Is this just a guess based on past experiences with IKEA product or did you actually hear something that made you believe this will happen?No, It's just a guess based on past experiences at IKEA. What usually happens I see something I want, but don't buy it for some stupid reason and then I go back in a week or so to buy it and they are either out of stock or discontinued. I think I will probably go get 2 more and that should be good enough.

Hellboy
07-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I figured thats what you were getting at with your comment. I know what you mean, both my CD and DVD towers have been discontinued and as my collection expands its frustrating knowing I can't buy another.

Do you remember what size the box was that these came packed in? It doesn't need to be an exact measurement just a rough estimate. The reason I ask is I need to figure out if I can fit these into my Honda. If not I may have to recruit my buddy to accompany me so I can utilize his truck. Thanks. :)

dr_evazan22
07-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Very nice Turbo!

bobafrett
07-05-2005, 08:46 PM
I just put it together and it was very easy. It's 5' 4-1/4" high, 16 1/4" wide and 14 1/2" deep. It has a veneered wood top and bottom. It has a hole on the top for a light that I bought there as well for 6.99. The case was 59.99. Damn cheap for a case that looks this good. I haven't put my bust in it yet, so I'll post pics of that later. Oh and the shelf spacing is average of 15 1/4". Theres 4 shelves. Perfect for GG statues. It's called DETOLF.

I bought one about 9 months ago, and I use it to display my GG busts, and my three SW bobbleheads. I love it and the price is really good, easy assembly, put it together myself.

Turbowars
07-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks dr_evazan22.

The box is 5'-5" x 17" x 3" Hellboy.

TatooineQueenPLJ
07-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Hee hee- I saw these back when our IKEA opened last summer and knew I HAD to have some. I just bought 2. 1 is partially assembled, the other's waiting to be put together. They do require 2 people though to hold everything. But they look FANTASTIC!

Since I have a puppy who thinks everything plastic is a chew-toy all of my 3 3/4" figures are going inside of my glass cases.

Warning - the flat packs weigh 80lbs each.

Turbowars
07-09-2005, 09:56 PM
One person can throw it together, you just need something to lean it against. The box is damn heavy though.

bobafrett
07-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Yes it is, I was so afraid I was going to break the glass putting it in my car, and taking it out and up my stairs, but everything went really well. I have to check into getting myself one of those lamps for the top, although I have my Code 3 Falcon on top of the cabinet right now.

Hellboy
07-10-2005, 03:01 AM
Well I spent most of my day driving north to IKEA and let me tell you, it was well worth the trip. These display cabinets are spectacular, I couldn't be more happy with them. I ended up buying three and my friend and I assembled them without a single problem. :D

There are a few things to be aware of for anyone else thinking of getting these.

-First off, you might want to call your IKEA store to find out exactly what their price is on these. Even though the IKEA website and their catalog said they were $59.00 the actual price was $79.00 at the store I went to in Seattle. Still worth every penny though.
-Another thing to remember, even though they are displayed in their store with the light inside the cabinet it is not included in the box. You must buy a seperate light to install in the hole that is provided in the top of the cabinet. Individual lights can be purchased for $6.99 or you can get two-packs for $9.99 like I did and the IKEA product name for the lights is "NON."
-One last thing to keep in mind, the glass shelves can only hold 13lbs.

Thanks a bunch for bringing these to our attention Turbo. I let my mom borrow my digital camera but as soon as I get it back I'll post some pics of my new cabinets. These things are great. :)

Turbowars
07-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Sorry to hear about the cost difference, but happy you like them. The only reason I didn't get the 2 pack of lights is because there is only one transformer for the 2 and if you have the displays a cross the room from each other they wont work. If you have them side by side, then it's all good.

gsr-jedi
07-10-2005, 06:35 PM
HB, you should've mentioned to the cashier the price difference from their store to others and online. My mom bought something at our local IKEA and the price was different from the online price, and she made a bit of a fuss and the manager gave her the lower price.

Hellboy
07-10-2005, 07:51 PM
I thought about it, and looking back I should have at least tried. The only resaon I didn't bring it up at checkout was the fact that it clearly states on the website that individual store prices may vary.

I did take the time to bust out my Oregon ID though to avoid paying the Washington state sales tax. :D

Jayspawn
07-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Hey I finally found it on the IKEA website, I'm tempted to order one (or some). I hope shipping wouldnt be too much because of the weight. ?

Turbo, is it possible to add another shelf or two? They seem to have plenty of room. I would think you could fit at least 1 more shelf in there, you could get one from a hardware store maybe.

Hellboy
07-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Jayspawn, I checked on the shipping and it is a much as the cabinet itself. They're really heavy so you're looking at around $160 total shipped. That doesn't include the lights either. And to anwser your other question about the shelves you can't add any more because the design doesn't allow it so all you get is 3 glass shelves plus the wood bottom which makes four total.

Turbowars
07-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Yeah the shelf spacing is my only complaint. One more shelf would have been perfect for our busts. If you were to add one shelf it would throw off the spacing. You would have to redo the whole thing.

Jayspawn
07-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Well that sucks.

HARDY
07-12-2005, 08:14 PM
thanks for the tip...... turbo its Hardy here remember me a long time ago well i live in canada now i picked up 3 of these bad boys for 89.99 cdn they are awesome cant thank you enough for making us aware of these once you get it down you can putthese together in like 15 mins...i might get one more lol dont make me start collecting these lol

mm74md
07-13-2005, 08:34 AM
This has to be the best thread ever. I got one of these last week (driving 120 miles roundtrip) from the Baltimore IKEA. My wife even likes the way it looks. I want to get another one for my Kotos

Jayspawn
07-13-2005, 10:54 AM
They might work best for GG Statues (Vader, 3PO, Chewbacca) since they have a lot of space between shelves.

For the minibusts, I think I'm gonna hold off for the 'Star Wars' display case by Pride Displays.

Hellboy
07-13-2005, 05:42 PM
They might work best for GG Statues (Vader, 3PO, Chewbacca) since they have a lot of space between shelves.

Actually the only one of those 3 that I'd feel safe putting on the glass shelves is C-3PO. The other two statues are to heavy exceeding the weight recommendation of 13 lbs. This is mostly due to the extremely heavy bases GG used on these two pieces. Vader might be at or under 13 lbs. but I know for sure that Chewy is more. You could always put them on the wood bottom though. I have all three statues and I decided to put Chewy and Vader on the top of 2 of my cabinets and they look great. I also added another light on the top of the cabinet aiming upwards so whatever is diplayed on top gets some light as well. :)

Turbowars
07-13-2005, 06:06 PM
There is a way around the shelf spacing. I haven't done it yet, but I will be making blocks that will lift the busts in the back so you can see them better thus filling in the spaces. I'm thinking about using 4x4 lumber and then covering it with black styrene Plastic.

Hellboy
07-13-2005, 06:32 PM
I thought of doing something similar with my cabinets too Turbo to elevate the Mini Busts that are in the back of the case but I've decided not to put them into my cabinets for now. Presently I have them filled with my C-3PO statue /Kotos /Attakus /GG Maquettes.

Just a thought but you might want to consider using something transparent so it doesn't stand out to much and the light from the top of the cabinet shines through it. You could probably find something at an office supply store or even an arts and crafts shop. I saw these tiny clear storage boxes the other day that would have worked perfectly if one was to take the lid off and flip it upside down. Just an idea. :)

Turbowars
07-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Even better. I guess I need to find some acrylic store.:)

Jaster
07-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Here in Southern Cali. there is a store called hold it! that has these acrylic risers in different sizes.

dr_evazan22
07-20-2005, 11:29 PM
My sister works in retail and had some (clear plexi risers) when I went to visit last year. She was happy to give me some. They look great. Loot on ebay and you can usually find a set of 3 or 4 for about $10.

bobafrett
07-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Does anyone have an idea of how many GG mini busts one of the Ikea glass shelves are able to hold safely? I currently have 5 each on the top two shelves, the the bobbleheads on the last glass shelf, and several more mini busts, as well as a piece called "Jedi Duel" or soimething along those lines on the bottom shelf. I just don't want to come home and find everything smashed along the base in one huge cracked up mess.

Turbowars
07-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Honestly I think that 4 mini busts look the best on each shelf. Any more than 4-5 will look too crowded. If you look back in the thread I think someone said the actual weight.

bobafrett
07-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Honestly I think that 4 mini busts look the best on each shelf. Any more than 4-5 will look too crowded. If you look back in the thread I think someone said the actual weight.

I remember the post about the weight, but I don't own a scale, and therefore I don't know how much a GG bust weighs. That is why I ask. Looking at my collection in the glass case, you are right, 5 does look a little bit much on one shelf.

Turbowars
07-24-2005, 07:31 PM
I have a scale and a Clone Trooper bust weighs in at 1lb 3.5 oz,
Fett is 1 lb 11.1 oz and Vader is 1lb 13.4.

bobafrett
07-26-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks Turbo! I may just have to buy a second cabinet to store my ever increasing collection in.

gsr-jedi
07-30-2005, 05:30 PM
I just got the new IKEA catalog in the mail today, and noticed a pretty cool looking new glass cabinet. It's $20 more than the Detolf, and is about 10 inches shorter, but the top slants downwards. It's called the SKOGEN. and for anbody interested in shelving, they've got a 5 foot tall bookcase for $20.

Jayspawn
08-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Hey Guys! I tracked down this website that sells some AWESOME display cases. They come in all shapes, sizes and made from all kinds of different materials. They have some really good stuff!

http://www.displays2go.com/main.asp

Definatly worth checking out, these are the kind of display cases I want for my collection. They look to be able to display LOTS of Gentle Giant stuff. The price ranges vary, but I'm going to look into getting 1 (or 2) of these.

Jaster
08-13-2005, 04:19 PM
^ ^ If I was an Uber collector and stinkin rich I would be all over these! lol

Turbowars
08-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah, that's why the Ikea case is a no brainer for me. If I had the $ to buy the stuff Jayspawn bought, I'd go for a nicer case as well.:yes:

Hellboy
08-16-2005, 06:46 PM
I picked up some clear acrylic risers at Office Depot today. They work perfect if you're looking to elevate your mini busts in the back of your cabinet(s) to increase visability while at the same time maximizing your shelf space. If anyone is interested here is a link, they're the perfect height/width and pretty cheap too.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=189145&uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=acrylic+riser&x=28&y=16&An=text

Turbowars
08-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Very cool, looks like I need 16 of them. So where in the store would I find them?

Hellboy
08-16-2005, 07:03 PM
They were with the file holders and general office accessories Turbo.

You might want to check shipping costs on the website before going to the actual store though. The risers were $3.99 a piece in store and they're $1.99 on the website so you might be able to save some money there, especially considering the amount you're looking to purchase.

Turbowars
08-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Well that's stupid, 2 bucks more in store? I guess they want us to pay for their shipping.:thumbsup: :tired:

bobafrett
08-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Those look cool, but I would have to check them out in person before making my mind up. Luckily we have many office depots in my area. They look like they hace an opening to display a baseball in, so I don't know if the line where the top and the case meet would be a factor.

Hellboy
08-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Its hard to tell based on the website picture but taking into consideration there are six sides to a square three of these sides are open on this riser while the other three are covered. They also had cubes that had five sides covered with an opening at the top but they weren't symmetrical because the base was smaller than the opening so I ruled those out.

Either way I'd recommend at least checking them out in person before making a purchase. What worked for me might not work for you but it is an inexpensive option.

Turbowars
08-16-2005, 07:56 PM
I think the lines you speak of are just a light reflection where it curves.

Hellboy
09-10-2005, 01:22 AM
A picture of my 3 IKEA cabinets. Still shuffling things around a bit and I need to decide what to put in the 2 empty spots but this is how it looks presently. :)

Jayspawn
09-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Thats a great setup Hellboy! It looks like GG's Statues fit in there perfectly. I like your Yoda and Padme Maquettes being setup together!

"Call you I will, if assistance I require."

Reefer Shark
09-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Damn, that looks awesome!!! I was thinking about getting three, and sneaking them into the living room (since I don't have room in my office anymore.

I'm thinking mabye if they look nice enough, the little lady won't object.:nerv::whip:

Hellboy
09-10-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm really happy with these cabinets, so much so that I'm thinking about getting two more to house my LOTR statues.

theropod
10-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Thanks for finding those cases and posting about them.
Up to this point I've always used open shelving to display my collection but this is a great and affordable alternative.
It is especially a good alternative for me because:
A) My displayed items always aquire dust.
B) I have two children. My oldest is 2.5 and really starting to get into things.

My question for anyone who displayes with this case is if there is any place on the case where a child-proof lock might be able to be attached?
@'_'@
-theropod

Turbowars
10-09-2005, 02:36 AM
Thanks for finding those cases and posting about them.
Up to this point I've always used open shelving to display my collection but this is a great and affordable alternative.
It is especially a good alternative for me because:
A) My displayed items always aquire dust.
B) I have two children. My oldest is 2.5 and really starting to get into things.

My question for anyone who displayes with this case is if there is any place on the case where a child-proof lock might be able to be attached?
@'_'@
-theropodHey there, that's why we are here.

As for the Child proof lock there's no latch at all, it has a magnet at the top and bottom to keep it shut. Maybe someone makes a latch that just double stick tapes on. Drilling though glass in a pain.

Hellboy
11-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Recently I decided to move some of my mini-busts into my glass display cabinets and I used the plastic acrylic risers I recommended a while back. I was so happy with the way they looked I figured I'd take a picture to illustrate how I used them and plus it gives me a chance to show off my newly completed squad of Clone Troopers. :pleased:

Jayspawn
11-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Those Clones too great Hellboy! Where did you pick up your Clone Pilot bust online? Ebay (I've been looking around for one)?

Hellboy
11-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks Jay. :)

I bought my Clone Pilot at my local comic shop for around $110. It was one of the first mini-busts I bought and once I did I knew I wanted a set of Clones someday. You can usually find them on eBay for the same price and sometimes cheaper so keep a lookout, it's a nice piece for sure.

Reefer Shark
11-17-2005, 01:34 AM
Damn HB, that looks very, very nice! Are you only using the one light at the top at the unit in that pic? Whatever it is, it looks awesome! I think that pic just convinced me to buy some of those risers... now I just have to find that original post with the link.

I paid $100 for my clone pilot, and it was worth it IMO. A must have if you're into clones.

Hellboy
11-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks Reefer. To answer your question I'm only using the one light thats mounted in the top of the cabinet. The Clone Troopers are actually on the second shelf down from the top so as you can see it does a good job of illuminating the lower shelves. Thats one of the main reasons I wanted to go with clear riseres too. That way the light shines through them as well as the glass shelves providing enough light to illuminate the lower area of the cabinet not just the top. :)

bobafett07728
11-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Great displays everyone!!! I bought two of these cases recently, and have been setting them up (slowly but surely) in my new place. They look so good, my roomates are thinking about getting them for their sports collectibles. Everyday I try to work on them, and I get a very jealous "Damn. . . that looks sweet" from one of them. I'm trying to have one house my loose vintage 4", and 12", and the other for my slowly growing Master Replicas collection (the mini saber displays can fit two per shelf. . . or four if you put the back two on risers!!!!) As soon as I get finished, I will add my photos to this thread. Much thanks to turbowars for bringing these cases to all of our attention, and keep the pics coming!!!

TheLastStormtrooper
11-17-2005, 08:18 PM
I have the clone pilot also it was my second mini bust. I really like it. I got it for $125 at wizard world chicago two years ago. I saw one on ebay for $100 buy it now so you would not even have to bid.
Here is a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/clone-trooper-pilot-mini-bust_W0QQitemZ6579636831QQcategoryZ73559QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I really like your squad of Clone Troopers hellboy. I wish I could get all of them

Jayspawn
11-17-2005, 08:25 PM
I wish I had an IKEA somewhere close to me (but I dont!). For the most part, all my GG Statues and Busts go right into storage. Someday I'll have a HUGE case to put them all in.

Clear risers like Hellboy has is the way to go. I'm gonna do something like that in my future display.

Jayspawn
11-17-2005, 08:58 PM
IKEA restructured their site, and I' trying to get a shipping rate on a display case. I sent them an email asking them for a shipping quote. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

Turbowars
11-17-2005, 09:01 PM
I believe we talked about this before. The shipping is actually more than the case itself. If you saw how IKEA packs this thing I don't think it would survive UPS or FEDX.

Jayspawn
11-18-2005, 11:07 AM
We did, but but now theres a page on the site where you can get an estimate on shipping which apppears to be lower. Thats why I emailed them for a quote.

mm74md
11-22-2005, 10:52 PM
They were with the file holders and general office accessories Turbo.

You might want to check shipping costs on the website before going to the actual store though. The risers were $3.99 a piece in store and they're $1.99 on the website so you might be able to save some money there, especially considering the amount you're looking to purchase.

FYI - Office Depot has free shipping for most metro areas right now. I just ordered 10 of these for $20.99 :grin:

Reefer Shark
11-22-2005, 11:58 PM
FYI - Office Depot has free shipping for most metro areas right now. I just ordered 10 of these for $20.99 :grin:

Damn, and I had just ordered 20 of them last week.

The risers are great btw! I just setup a few busts on some, and I'm very happy with the way it looks :yes: