PDA

View Full Version : Cheap front covers?

mastermatt24
07-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Anybody else think that the new front covers look really lame?
http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/news20050628.html
I think they do.. it looks like they didnt want to pay an artist so they went into photoshop and cranked some out.Im not impressed with them.
:ermm:

El Chuxter
07-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Those do look a bit lame. It's like they took the strategy they used with Rogue Planet and the Jedi Quest hardbacks, Photoshopping some mess together.

If nothing else, Leia is far too young in that picture.

Also, does the blue blade in Leia's hands mean that all post-ROTJ lightsabers have been retroactively changed to blue and green? I believe hers was previously red.

mastermatt24
07-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Yeah she is waaaay to young. I see they tried with adding a touch of grey to the some her roots- but come on- she way to old for the hair she has and the lack of wrinkles bothers me too.
Im pretty sure she had a red saber on the back of Destiny's Way. As for all other sabers being blue and green- isnt Jaina's Violet and isnt Saba's Yellowish??

shammykenobi
07-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Yeah I hate the way that they're retro actively correcting lightsaber colors...bur i think that picture of leia is actually supposed to be jaina...not sure about this, but it seems that there was some other book where jaina was pretty much the main character but they had a photo shopped picture of leia on the cover...anyway, i don' t really read the novels anymore...I read all of the thrawn triology and that crap that kevin j anderson put out and the New Jedi Order stuff and I think that Zahn was the only one to get it right with the thrawn trilogy....and that dave wolverton guys book was good...the one about han and leia getting married....other than that, it's pretty much the same story line, the same types of characters and the same situations just re-hashed with each new novel...and it's pretty much the same way with the comics too.

mastermatt24
07-04-2005, 01:54 AM
I read all of the thrawn triology and that crap that kevin j anderson put out and the New Jedi Order stuff and I think that Zahn was the only one to get it right with the thrawn trilogy....and that dave wolverton guys book was good...the one about han and leia getting married....other than that, it's pretty much the same story line, the same types of characters and the same situations just re-hashed with each new novel...and it's pretty much the same way with the comics too.
I have too disagree. It doesnt sound that youve read that far into the books (did you read the enitre NJO?) But yes granted- there are some bad ones (Kathy tyers.. :cry: ) but dont judge all others on the few (?) that you have read.

2-1B
07-04-2005, 01:59 AM
Those big ants make me giggle. lol

mastermatt24
07-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Lol! I guess they do! they are funny lookin.. and they are making me unsure of these books because the kinda remind me of those things in the cestus decpetion.. :rolleyes:

shammykenobi
07-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Hey Mastermatt 24, I was gonna quote your last message on here but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it....but anyway, in my previous post I did make it seem that I've only read a few of the novels...but that's not the case...I started reading them about 12 years ago when I picked up the zahn trilogy a couple years after it first came out...and then I read EVERYTHING religiously up until the Kathy Tyers book (truce at bakura) which I couldn't even finish it was so bad...then I didn't really do much with star wars until episode 1 came out and I started collecting/reading a little bit more...when NJO came out a friend of mine basically made me read them and I enjoyed just about all of them, but didn't finish the series because the plots and situations just started to seem really redundant and I could almost guess the ending from the way things were heading in the books...so anyway, when I sit down and think about it, the zahn trilogy is the only thing that stands out, the only book where I remember the names of the new characters he introduced and the only book that played out visually in my head like a star wars movie...and btw his descriptions were so spot on that when the comic came out, I wasn't surprised at how any of the characters of ships looked...which i can't say that for any of the other books.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey Mastermatt 24, I was gonna quote your last message on here but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it....but anyway, in my previous post I did make it seem that I've only read a few of the novels...but that's not the case...I started reading them about 12 years ago when I picked up the zahn trilogy a couple years after it first came out...and then I read EVERYTHING religiously up until the Kathy Tyers book (truce at bakura) which I couldn't even finish it was so bad...then I didn't really do much with star wars until episode 1 came out and I started collecting/reading a little bit more...when NJO came out a friend of mine basically made me read them and I enjoyed just about all of them, but didn't finish the series because the plots and situations just started to seem really redundant and I could almost guess the ending from the way things were heading in the books...so anyway, when I sit down and think about it, the zahn trilogy is the only thing that stands out, the only book where I remember the names of the new characters he introduced and the only book that played out visually in my head like a star wars movie...and btw his descriptions were so spot on that when the comic came out, I wasn't surprised at how any of the characters of ships looked...which i can't say that for any of the other books.Hey, shammykenobi. Here's how to quote a post. At the bottom of the person's post there's a "Quote" button; click that and you'll be brought to a reply box with the entire text of their post. If you want to quote just part of it...

Hey Mastermatt 24, I was gonna quote your last message on here but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it....but anyway, in my previous post I did make it seem that I've only read a few of the novels...but that's not the case... just remove the parts you don't want. Ta dah!

BTW, one of my fears was that once Episode III came out there would be massive reconstructionist history, meaning authors would go in to try and "fix" lapses in continuity based on what the films showed. Hmm. :sur:

shammykenobi
07-04-2005, 11:29 AM
BTW, one of my fears was that once Episode III came out there would be massive reconstructionist history, meaning authors would go in to try and "fix" lapses in continuity based on what the films showed. Hmm. :sur:[/QUOTE]

O.K. I think i figured out how to quote now...but I tried this before and it didn't look like it was quoted the same way other quotes are...anyway, yeah the writers of the books/comics are at a disadvantage because they have to worry about anything they write being nullified by whatever Lucas says or does next...just like the ROTJ special edition pretty much nullified any EU stories of Boba Fett escaping the sarlacc...anyway, there is some stuff that is EU that is pretty good, but when it comes right down to it, if it doesn't come from Lucas or Lucasfilm then you have to take it all with a grain of salt...or maybe a whole salt shaker...or even a big ol' block of salt like horses eat :)

mastermatt24
07-04-2005, 12:51 PM
After I finsih NJO (2 1/2 left) im gonna read all Zahns stuff so I can be caught up when outbound flight comes out. I cant believe that they had Kathy come back and write balance point for NJO. Shes almost as bad as David Sherman and Dan Cragg :nerv: