PDA

View Full Version : Open VOTC figures?

spang2005
07-03-2005, 09:55 PM
So I pretty much skipped the VOTC line b.c of the $10 price tag and the fact that I'm an open my figures guy. I kind of figured that since the whole point of the VOTC figures was that they were on the old vintage package, so you should keep them and display them that way. So here's my dilemma, I've just realized how nice these figures apparently are loose, so I've been thinking of opening my one VOTC figure (Obi-Wan), and starting a search for the rest. SO what does anybody else here do? Are these meant to be opened and displayed/played with?

Kidhuman
07-03-2005, 11:29 PM
I have mine MOC, because all my figures are MOC. I say to each his own, if you enjoy them opened, then so be it. I also have 2 sets of these. I grabbed a bunch on clearance after Christmas for 3 bucks a pop, so it made it easy. 1 set will always stay closed. I would hunt a set down if I were you.

jjreason
07-03-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm a loose collector, yet oddly I haven't been able to bring myself to open these - yet. I've had them all lined up on my shelf since I got them, they make a beautiful background behind my loose ROTS figures.

I'll get to opening them some day, I've been thinking about it a bit recently. Apparently the Stormtrooper out of the package is a collector's dream - while C3PO is fit for the garbage can. I'd personally seek out reviews of each of the figures in the "reviews" section on this site (you'd have to set the filter to go back quite a ways, but they'll all be there I'm sure) to see what folks think of each one.

shammykenobi
07-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Yeah i've been wanting to open mine too lately...I picked them up because I remember when the original figures were in the stores and when I saw these new ones it brought back a ton of memories...but the ONLY reason that I keep anything boxed or carded for any long period of time is for trade or re-sell potential later...and most everything I collect I open them, cause i'd rather set up displays and dioramas, but if this VOTC line isn't gonna pick up much in value, then I may as well open them...or at least open a few of them and trade of the crap ones like the c3po...but i would have to feel real bad about having $120 tied up in 12 loose action figures.

JediTricks
07-04-2005, 12:35 AM
I opened them all, not many are really that rewarding to open for display-n-play purposes though as their close-legged sculpts and absolute-neutral poses and other small issues don't fit well with how real people stand. (This works with the vintage feel though, but I haven't really found a place for them in my regular collection yet.) I opened them by slicing the bubble at the sides and bottom but not the top, so I can fit the figure back onto the tray and slide that back into the bubble, and once inside the protector you can't really tell they were opened.

Fluke Skywalker
07-04-2005, 01:23 AM
I am a fierce KOC kinda guy any way, and if any line was made to have a set strictly to keep unopened it was this line. That's why I did (Kinda) what Kidhuman did.. I bought one to KOC and then picked up some on clearance (Though the ROTJ wave never made it to clearance around here). Funny, I still have't been able to bring myself to tear the spares off of those glorious Old school cards! :D

figrin bran
07-04-2005, 01:51 AM
originally i was going to keep them all on the cards even though i'm usually a loose collector. however, because i never found a Vader, i opened up a few of them...yoda, boba fett and stormie. the last two are good ones to open though in my opinion, the stormie isn't nearly as poseable as the SA 41 clone or even the #6 quick draw. plus the holster on the side is useless since the blaster doesn't even fit into it.

ROTJLuke
07-04-2005, 12:19 PM
I bought Luke and Obi Wan, and Im now searching for the rest, but I kept them carded, but Im a strictly MOC collector, unless I get 2 or 3, then Ill open one of them up...

spang2005
07-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Shammykenobi put it best. I just dont want to have $120 worth of 12 loose figures. The Obi-Wan I have already is going to stay on the card, and I can hopefully get the ones I want (Boba Fett and Stormtrooper) loose from ebay for less than $10. I'm all for this line coming back, as long as the price is better. I have seen all of these at one point or another in stores, so next time I think I'll pick them up.

Bacta Beast
07-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Of all the figures in that line Obi-Wan was the one of the worst! Second only to C-3PO. Out of the package he is one of the most dissapointing.

Ji'dai
07-04-2005, 03:23 PM
I bought two sets, one to keep carded and the other to open. Some of them aren't that great out of the package though. The carded set will always have a place on my wall, I love looking at those vintage cardbacks. A set of VOTC and an Early Bird package would look cool on display together since the EB sports the original 12-back artwork.

The TRU here was still stocking ESB/ROTJ VOTC through April-May. It was weird going into TRU and seeing a couple of pegs of vintage cardbacks amidst a sea of ROTS packaging. All I see these days are Landos, maybe a Yoda.

Devo
07-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Of all the figures in that line Obi-Wan was the one of the worst! Second only to C-3PO. Out of the package he is one of the most dissapointing.

Agreed. He has a tiny head and tiny hands - and he's also unusually pink. What happened there? His robe is far too puffy - no stretch of the imagination makes it look realistic. And he's got swivel elbows which don't allow much poseability - for it to look realistic you have to make sure the sleeve isn't hanging upwards and this means theres really not much you can do with his arms. I might still buy another online though to sit in the landspeeder, possibly swap that silly pink head for the 1995 one and then glue the robe to the figure in places so it doesn't look so crap.

And to original poster I think you can open these without too much worry. On all the VOTC figs I bought the blister came up really easy without tearing the surrounding card. Sure you'll be devaluing them but they will still look in great condition - and since you're an opener for every other figure I think you might aswell.

Reefer Shark
07-04-2005, 03:58 PM
I would say that they are all great openers except Threepio (he's total crap). My favorites are Vader, Chewy, Han, Stormy and Fett. Luke is great too, but they made him a bit too short.

I have two sets (one opened, one MOMC), and since I don't have the space, only my loose set is up on display. I replaced VOTC Threepio with the ROTS version though, he looks about a million times better that the sickly VOTC figure. lol

nomad
07-04-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm a loose figure collector... I actually only get a few figures that I think are great representations of characters (Or best reflect the old school action figures/can actually be played with).

So... I grabbed the VOTC Solo, Vader, Fett and Yoda (I really should grab Chewie from what I've seen).

The Vader is by far my favorite figure (Being able to pose him in a kneel down position or any action sequence I can think of) and the Han Solo is right up there as well. Amazing articulation on those two figures and they just NEED to be out of the box... no question.

The Fett figure really is great... unfortunately he's not as articulated as the Vader and Solo. He's got bulky pockets and belts that interfere with moving his thighs too drastically and his arms are restricted a bit too much to be able to pull off a lot of different poses.
Still, it's an amazing sculpt and the best Fett articulation to date... it just isn't as flexible as the other two I mentioned.

Funny enough, I haven't opened the Yoda.

For a while, I wasn't sure if I wanted to or not... I think it was the cloth skirt being blended into the plastic robe torso... so, I was considering either keeping him unopened or exchaning him for a Chewbacca.

I've gotten over that now though, and I had planned to open him when ROTS came out... as some strange ceremony. :crazed:
I kind of forgot about that though... so I think I'll go open him now, hehe.

Anyway... the Yoda certainly looks worthy of being loose... he's just so small and I like my Yoda with boiling pot and cane (And Hair) so much, I questioned opening another Yoda. I try to keep my main characters down to one per movie at the most.

Anyway... I hope that may help you.

I say definately get and open the Vader and the Han. I highly reccomend the Fett as well... I just don't think he's perfect.

May the force be with you.

spang2005
07-05-2005, 10:57 AM
I need the Force. Both $10 bids I made for loose Fetts on ebay were immediately outbid.

Devo
07-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Fett is great but his head, like Obi-wans, is too small. However I have never seen anyone else comment on that so maybe its just me.

ROTJLuke
07-05-2005, 01:38 PM
They look great loose, but Im a sucker for a MOMC figure, so mine are kept that way. I just picked up the Vader today off eBay :) :) :) This really is an amazing figure

megaprime33
07-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Well I would say that it really is based on what you like the best. If you want to open them, go for it. But in my opinion, if I had any of these figures, I would have kept them sealed. The $10 price tag is too much IMO for such a tiny figure. I don't care how close they resemble the original figures from the 70s. If I did get a couple at that price tag I would have most definitely kept it sealed. If I got them on clearence then it would really be up in the air. For example, I would have opened Vader but kept Leia sealed.

DarkArtist
07-05-2005, 07:04 PM
I say open and enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D While keeping the figures MOC is a great way to invest for the future, eventually you still have to find someone willing to buy your collection when the time is right to sell. Besides what's the fun of buying toys if you aren't going to play with them. :D :D :D

I love getting the figures and the minute I have them they are played with, used in dioramas, or just displayed throughout the apartment. Open and Enjoy but definately find them and buy them. Some stores still have the first and second wave still on the shelves. :)

Kidhuman
07-06-2005, 01:28 AM
I picked up most of my second set for 5 bucks or less. I stuck them on lay-a-way right before Christmas day and they day ater Christmas, they hit 5 bucks and below, so I got 2 of each that I could find.

ROTJLuke
07-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Sounds like you got the hook up, KH, way to go!

PloKoon2385
08-02-2005, 05:30 PM
I opened what I have: Stormtrooper, Leia, Han, Chewie, and Fett. I enjoy all of them. Surprisingly, I like the Stormtrooper the least. He is very "stiff" and also, his blaster doesn't exactly fit in both of his hands. Fett is amazing! I was surprised to see that Han is really in top form and can be put into a lot of poses. Chewie is a little disappointing because it is hard for him to hold his bowcaster with two hands, though you can't really tell. Leia is good for her costume. Obviously she can't be as articulated due to her big sleeves, but Hasbro did a nice job with her. I'm going to try to get a few more, but I am not sure. I'm going to get Vader, unless I am completely happy with the Vader from the Anakin Evolution set. I also may get Luke. We shall see.

JON9000
08-03-2005, 09:49 PM
I rate the figures in terms of articulation and how "good" they look posed.

Leia, Obi-wan, and Luke look pretty lousy out of the packages b/c of the ill fitting soft goods. Although they have great articulation.

Vader and Lando have okay articulation but look great.

Han, Chewie & Stormie have awesome articulation and look amazing.

Fett looks good and has great articulation.

Yoda, threepio, and r2 are pretty much a wash. I don't fing any of them particularly appealing given the cost, and in honesty, Yoda's paint is overdone and threepio is a piece of crud from what I hear.

I have opened 2 Stormies and a Vader.

bobafrett
08-03-2005, 10:04 PM
I have a set both opened and closed of these, including several open Stormtroopers. 3-PO might as well have been with the regular figures, no articulation in the knees nor elbows, head only moves side to side and not up or down. R2's middle leg can be pulled off, but not tucked up inside the body like I have seen with other R2's.

OC47150
08-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Only the extras I've picked up on clearance: Luke, Ben, Han, Chewie.

Have an extra Leia I picked up on clearance but I haven't opened her yet.

I paid full price for an extra Fett to open for a diorama. He's just so darn cool!

darthzirock
08-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I bought all 12 and I have opened all 12! I carefully cut the blisters so that I could slide out the trays and remove the figures, then replace them for better storage. I only display Sith Lord characters (I'm just funny that way, and have been since 1978), so right now the only VOTC figure still on display is Vader. Everyone else is back in the trays, on the cards, inside the clamshells, and inside a box in my closet (my TRU Silver Sandtrooper and OTC Holo Emperor are in the same box, btw).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-07-2005, 03:26 PM
I managed to get 3/4 of the line (minus the Vader, both droids and Chewie) and have kept them all open. As a 65%/35% unopen to open collector--I am very choosy about what I open. If it is something unique, a character I don't have open, or a figure way too cool to pass up, I will open them, otherwise they are going to remain packaged. The packaging of the Vintage style toys make them look like originals, so for me, that was an enough of a reason to keep them carded. I know my logic isn't exactly right (it should be based on the coolness of the figure inside) but that it is how I decide what to open or not.

ROTJLuke
08-08-2005, 05:03 PM
I left mine alone. B/C of this thread I was soo tempted to open them, but I decided not to.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-08-2005, 09:33 PM
If any figures deserve to stay on cards, these are the ones due to the vintage style packaging. However, due to the high quality of some of these figures, they also demand to be opened. Thus, I have two of each except for Boba Fett and Stormtrooper. So, of those opened, C-3PO is obviously the worst. Perhaps they had to make a really cheap crappy figure to make up for what they put into the other ones.

My next least favorite would be R2 and Yoda. As was mentioned, the middle leg on R2 doesn't retract in. Also, the scope that pops up only comes out when his head is turned a certain way. Yoda looks good, but the soft goods are a bit bulky for his size.

Luke is pretty well articulated and is a pretty good likeness, but he is a bit small, and the soft goods look too big for him. My only complaint with Leia is probably that her feet are so small, she doesn't have peg holes. She stands pretty well without a stand, so no big loss there.

The bulky soft goods on Ben look good to me, as it kind of reminds me of how he looks in them in the final duel. The only problem is the hood doesn't quite seem right. Also, he appears to be well articulated, but the cloak makes it hard make adjustments.

Chewie and Vader are both quite good, and I really like Lando. The best figure to me is probably Han. A very good likeness and excellent articulation.

Until I get an extra Boba Fett and Stormtrooper, I can't comment on them, but it sounds like they are both good.

jjreason
08-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Well, after much deliberation and delay, I've finally opened all of my VOTC figures. I think what prompted me to do this was finally getting the Anakin to Vader Evolutions set, and needing to start a new rubbermaid bin for those - which I figured might as well contain all of my "higher end" loose figures. Having them all out, I asked myself: which of these did I NEED, and which characters are better represented by cheaper figures?

ANH

Luke Skywalker - I think the POTF2 "blast shield" version is better, as is the Flashback version with Floppy hat.

Han Solo - a must have. WAY better loose than on the card, he's fantastic.

Obi Wan - I'd stick to the POTJ version, and throw in a duelling Flashback version to round this character out.

Leia - the POTF2 New Likeness and Commtech versions are far superior to this figure. Too bad, they really had a chance to do Leia right here, and blew it.

ESB

C3PO - my God, this is "dollar for dollar" the WORST figure ever. Grab a ROTS C3PO, and you've got the best one ever.

Darth Vader - a must have.

Yoda - I prefer the OTC Dagobah version, the robe is too puffy and the articulation and soft goods cloak don't really do much for me on a Yoda figure.

Lando - very close to being a must have. The POTJ version was really well done though, and would make a perfectly fine Bespin Lando for someone looking for the best deal on him in this getup.

ROJ

Chewbacca - a must have.

Boba Fett - the 300th version is better.

Stormtrooper - I'm happy enough with my Commtech/Troop builder Stormies. This guy is anorexic looking or something. It's time for a new "basic" super-poseable Stormtrooper, with any luck the Saga2 collection will provide this.

R2-D2 - his head's too shiny. I like the Saga "musical" version, and the OTC/HOF/POTJ version best.

Slicker
08-18-2005, 05:55 AM
I managed to get 3/4 of the line (minus the Vader, both droids and Chewie) and have kept them all open.This is the math police. Pull over. You managed to get 3/4 of a line of 12 minus 4. Let's see 12-4=8. 12 divided by 8 equals 2/3. Here's your fine.lol

I'm sorry I had to.

Dark Marble
08-18-2005, 10:43 AM
I have been thinking about this lately because I am getting ready to open about 100+ figures from ROTS. I have all of the VOTC figures still on the card and I am a loose collector. They just look so darn good on the card!! I am completely split on if I should open them or not. So, I say leave them on the card until you are completely sure you want to open them. As long as they are on the card you can think about it, but once they are open they are open and there is no going back. I know I will open mine........eventually.

OC47150
08-18-2005, 11:34 AM
The VOTC do look great on the cards. I've hung mine on the wall at home.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-18-2005, 06:59 PM
This is the math police. Pull over. You managed to get 3/4 of a line of 12 minus 4. Let's see 12-4=8. 12 divided by 8 equals 2/3. Here's your fine.lol

I'm sorry I had to. WRONG!:whip: Actually, 12 divided by 8 = 3/2 or 1.5. I know this because I have a master's degree in math. :glasses: You are hereby ordered to turn in your math police badge.

However, you are right that he had 2/3, not 3/4, so you may be reinstated.

Slicker
08-18-2005, 08:00 PM
WRONG!:whip: Actually, 12 divided by 8 = 3/2 or 1.5. I know this because I have a master's degree in math. :glasses: You are hereby ordered to turn in your math police badge. Dammit!! And I re-read that thing about 5 times to make sure it was right. I figure if I'm gonna correct someone I'd damn well better be right.

jlw
08-20-2005, 09:13 AM
Well, after much deliberation and delay, I've finally opened all of my VOTC figures. I think what prompted me to do this was finally getting the Anakin to Vader Evolutions set, and needing to start a new rubbermaid bin for those - which I figured might as well contain all of my "higher end" loose figures. Having them all out, I asked myself: which of these did I NEED, and which characters are better represented by cheaper figures?

ANH

Luke Skywalker - I think the POTF2 "blast shield" version is better, as is the Flashback version with Floppy hat.

Han Solo - a must have. WAY better loose than on the card, he's fantastic.

Obi Wan - I'd stick to the POTJ version, and throw in a duelling Flashback version to round this character out.

Leia - the POTF2 New Likeness and Commtech versions are far superior to this figure. Too bad, they really had a chance to do Leia right here, and blew it.

ESB

C3PO - my God, this is "dollar for dollar" the WORST figure ever. Grab a ROTS C3PO, and you've got the best one ever.

Darth Vader - a must have.

Yoda - I prefer the OTC Dagobah version, the robe is too puffy and the articulation and soft goods cloak don't really do much for me on a Yoda figure.

Lando - very close to being a must have. The POTJ version was really well done though, and would make a perfectly fine Bespin Lando for someone looking for the best deal on him in this getup.

ROJ

Chewbacca - a must have.

Boba Fett - the 300th version is better.

Stormtrooper - I'm happy enough with my Commtech/Troop builder Stormies. This guy is anorexic looking or something. It's time for a new "basic" super-poseable Stormtrooper, with any luck the Saga2 collection will provide this.

R2-D2 - his head's too shiny. I like the Saga "musical" version, and the OTC/HOF/POTJ version best.

I bought all the VOTC figures except 3PO and R2 because I think their crap. I looked at the line as sorta being the "definitive" action figure for each character. I would have to agree with just about everything you posted. I absolutely hated the Luke figure, and it was my biggest dissappointment. By the way, I opened all the figures. I actually buy the figures for my 6yr old, but I try to find him everthing.

Anyway, back to the post and these being the "definitive" figure for each character. I wish Hasbro would do (please don't kill me) one final ANH Luke Skywalker aka the "definitive" Luke. Take a tip from the ROTS figures, molded chest with a cloth skirt and ball-joint articulation. The VOTC Luke has to be the worste head sculpt. Man even the original "he-man" POTF2 Luke head sculpt was better than that. And the figure is waaaay too short. Leia said he was a "little" short for a Stormtrooper, but not that short.

I don't know if anybody else had this problem with their Vader, but my son's leg broke at the knee joint. So, I had to glue it together which did away with the articulation. However, we did find the Evolutions Anakin/Vader which I consider the "definitive" Vader.

Concerning the VOTC Stormtrooper vs. POTJ Stormtrooper, I like the VOTC much better. The POTJ Stormie is one skinny one. The difference is that the VOTC is a little shorter than the POTJ. This is one problem that Hasbro has is that theirs not really a set scale to go by.

Also, my son's Chewie can hold his bowcaster with both hands just fine. It takes a little bit of effort to get it in his right hand, but it fits. I think this is the absolute best Chewie ever offerred.

Han, Lando, & Boba Fett also have to be the best versions of these characters to date. I think the VOTC Boba Fett is way better than the 300th. The only draw back is the cable running down his arm, my son's broke so I just cut it off and it still looks great.

Leia and Ben could have been better but I was satisfied with both. At least Ben can wear his cloak and sit in the landspeeder.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-20-2005, 11:40 AM
I don't know if anybody else had this problem with their Vader, but my son's leg broke at the knee joint. So, I had to glue it together which did away with the articulation. However, we did find the Evolutions Anakin/Vader which I consider the "definitive" Vader.JediTricks posted this thread about it http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=25012

Concerning the VOTC Stormtrooper vs. POTJ Stormtrooper, I like the VOTC much better. The POTJ Stormie is one skinny one. The difference is that the VOTC is a little shorter than the POTJ. This is one problem that Hasbro has is that theirs not really a set scale to go by.Are you referring to the POTJ Sandtrooper or do you mean a different Stormtrooper?

Also, my son's Chewie can hold his bowcaster with both hands just fine. It takes a little bit of effort to get it in his right hand, but it fits. I think this is the absolute best Chewie ever offerred.Mine is holding his fine. He even fell off the table and still held on.

Han, Lando, & Boba Fett also have to be the best versions of these characters to date. I think the VOTC Boba Fett is way better than the 300th. The only draw back is the cable running down his arm, my son's broke so I just cut it off and it still looks great.I've not opened my 300th Fett, but he's basically the same figure as the one from the TRU bounty hunter pack which I do have open. I've not opened the VOTC one but he appears to have better articulation than the 300th.

Devo
08-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Strange I've seen a few negative comments on the Leia figure - its my favourite ANH Leia to date in most respects. The arm articulation is fantastic - they successfully countered the problem, in this case, of articulating figures whose arms have hanging sleeves. The only downside to this figure is the overlong neck and a face sculpt which disimproves on the 25th anniversary chasm swing Leia (the best likeness they've ever done IMO). I wish they'd recognise when a resculpt isn't necessary.

The Han is great undoubtedly. The articulation is amazing and is as invisible as it could possibly be. Downsides? Yes - and again with the neck and head. because of the ball-joint at the base of the head his hair is too short and also for some reason the neck leans forward - this has the result that for him to look straight ahead you have to raise his head and this creates an unflattering view of the jaw. I like super-articulation but not ball-jointed necks. I wish they'd stop with that.

Both VOTC and 300th figure Boba Fetts are essentials as far as I'm concerned. The latter has a fantastic paint scheme and a superb film accurate pose. Articulation-wise its not quite as dynamic as the VOTC but its too brilliant a sculpt for anyone to pass on it. I've already said in this thread that I think VOTC Fett's head is too small and I stand by that. Other than that I can't fault it. Well the rocket pack falls off too easily. But other than that. Great for neutral poses in Jabba's palace or Docking bay 94.

Still don't have Lando but I've heard he's even shorter than POTJ Bespin Lando which is a serious negative as far as I'm concerned because thats just too small. Whatever about previous Landos Lobot will really tower over this one.

jlw
08-21-2005, 10:56 AM
My bad, I meant to say commtech/OTC Stormtrooper.

I'm not all that disappointed in the VOTC Leia and Ben. Sure they don't have the same ball-joint articulation in the elbows (or in Ben's knees) but for the fact that they have these bulky sleeves, I think it works. My only complaint about the Leia is the long neck.

Out of all the VOTC figures, I think Luke, C-3PO, & R2-D2 are the worst.

Getting back to the "difinitive" figures, here is a small list of what I consider to be the "definitive" figure for core characters (Original Trilogy only)

Darth Vader - Evolutions Vader
Stormtrooper - VOTC Stormie
Imperial Officer - OTC Imp. Officer (could use an updated ANH Tarkin)
Luke Skywalker - none to date, 'cept maybe my custom figure http://droidfactorycustoms.tripod.com/id32.htm
Han Solo - VOTC Han
Chewie - VOTC Chewie
Leia - VOTC, although a kit-bashed figure made from existing parts could make the "ultimate" Leia
Ben Kenobi - VOTC Ben
R2-D2 - R2 w/ holo Leia
C-3PO - either ROTS C-3PO or C-3PO w/ removable limbs (freeze frame)
Lando - VOTC Lando simply due to articulation the POTJ one was great
Yoda - VOTC Yoda also due to articulation though OTC one is fine
Boba Fett - VOTC Boba once again due to the articulation 300th is a great sculpt, and is really when I think Hasbro started making better figures.

There aren't really any background characters left that I think Hasbro needs to re-do, except R5-D4 & ROTJ Jabba. Of course if Hasbro offerred a re-sculpt with more articulation of certain figures, I think I could go for that ex. X-wing Luke with ball-joint articulation. But all the other guys (Rebel Fleet Troopers, Cantina aliens, various R2s, Bespin Wing Guards, Hoth Soldiers, Bounty Hunters, Jabba's aliens, etc.) are all good enough to be considered "definitive" figures. Super articulation is not as important to me on background characters.

And I'm pretty much satisfied with all the other versions of the core characters (Bespin Han, Bespin Luke, Hoth Leia, Bespin Leia, Skiff Guard Lando, etc.) with the exception of Endor Han and Final Duel Luke.

Devo
08-21-2005, 04:28 PM
VOTC Ben won't do for me. The head sculpt is terrible - why is it so small and such a distinctive pink colour? The robe is too puffy and the soft goods tunic shows no effort at making it resemble the real clothing. We need a hood-down plastic robed Ben who can be posed standing straight with hands on his belt - like commtech Vader.

darth cynik
08-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Why were all of the VOTC platic-eclosed figures beyond Han, Obi-Wan, Leia, and Lando a pain-in-the-arse to find in-stores? I'm desperately looking for a VOTC Chewbacca but I've never seen him in-person and looking on eBay, he's always minimum $25. WHY!?

Oh I wish I could fine one to keep on card and one to open, but so far I can't find even one that's affordable at the moment. This sucks.

Kidhuman
08-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Because stores over ordered the fisrt wave and by the time this wave was out they had no room to order more.

kool-aid killer
08-27-2005, 10:15 PM
I just found an Obi wan today, its been the only VOTC figure that ive bought. I really only bought it for the lightsaber and cloak. I seen a couple of others but i didnt go for them because i just know that if i buy them im going to want the rest. Im having a hard time getting myself to open him. Ive picked it up twice with the intention of doing so and each time i put him down. The cards are just so cool.

Devo
08-28-2005, 01:09 PM
I just found an Obi wan today, its been the only VOTC figure that ive bought. I really only bought it for the lightsaber and cloak. I seen a couple of others but i didnt go for them because i just know that if i buy them im going to want the rest. Im having a hard time getting myself to open him. Ive picked it up twice with the intention of doing so and each time i put him down. The cards are just so cool.

Have I mentioned that the VOTCers were easy to open without causing noticeable 'damage' to the card? I have these hanging on my wall and only that theres no figures in the boxes they look like they weren't opened. Unless its the sight of the figures inside the bubble that appeals to you so much.

kool-aid killer
08-28-2005, 08:06 PM
I broke last night and ended up opening him, using a small blade to cut the plastic away from the card at the bottoms and sides, but not the top. I took Obi out and promptly pried off his oversized cloak. I then put him back in his prison. Im thinking of popping his head (and possibly hands too) off of him and trying to make a kitbashed Jedi figure, but i really dont know who elses noggin would look good on his body.

maatu
08-30-2005, 06:14 PM
i opened mine. i have 2 of each. they kind of remind me of when i was a kid. but there so much better. the articulation. chewbacca is my favorite. to answer the question before the blaster does fit in the holster and ihope this figure comes out on the new saga line....i hope they alos continue the votc. line..:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kool-aid killer
08-31-2005, 12:22 AM
The cards of the VOTC figures was very appealing. Like you said, they have that vintage look to them. The only vintage figure i got on card was a Madine, so if Hasbro ever releases him in VOTC style i will be a happy man. The nostalgia would probably make me cry. :love: