PDA

View Full Version : Losing the Lines we collect: Unleashed, 12" etc...and SW decline and future

Tycho
07-06-2005, 05:59 PM
3 3/4" - still going strong. Looks like it'll go "OTC-style" without being solely focused on the OTC, but offering a splattering from all 6 movies. My guess is that core characters will be the first offerings - the essentials if you will:

1) Luke
2) Han
3) Leia
4) Chewie
5) C-3PO
6) R2D2
7) Stormtrooper
8) Obi-Wan Kenobi
9) Darth Vader
-----------------------
10) Anakin Skywalker
11) Qui-Gon Jinn
12) Padme Amidala
13) JarJar Binks
14) Darth Maul
15) Battle Droid
---------------------
16) Super Battle Droid
17) Count Dooku
18) Jango Fett
19) Clone Trooper
20) Boba Fett
--------------------
21) Lando Calrissian
22) Yoda
23) Mace Windu
24) General Grievous
25) Palpatine
26) Wicket

With very little exception, if you had all the above, you could basically recreate the principle Star Wars story if you were a kid playing with your toys. Ackbar, Tarkin, Aayla Secura, and Nute Gunray are all secondary nice extras, and Pote Snitkin and Meena Tillis are totally forgettable.

To voice my opinion on the above 26 or so, with rare, more to the obscure variation (like Lando in Smuggler's Gear), we pretty much have all these figures several times over. What can they do to further update Chewbacca? Darth Vader, minus some new action feature we really don't want (or similarly a scene-specific pose), has very little changes. He just sells well. So they can ship the same one (ROTS was awesome IMO).

The 20-40 more most wanted from ROTS that haven't been made yet, as well as only about 200 from all the other movies that are not so obscure that you'll never find them on screen, are all that remains left for original figures to be made for the line. The rest will be repeats we'll buy less and less of - (as in how many Luke Tatooine's and Jake Lloyd Anakin's do you want them to continue to produce?) 3 3/4" completists will rethink their obsession more and more likley, and many of us will save some money. Hasbro's sales will be less.

VEHICLES - This line could continue, presumably slower than during the ROTS hype, but as long as figures sell well, we may surely see rehashes - like another new or re-released box for the same Millennium Falcon, the return of Naboo Starfighters, etc. I hope the sales will be strong enough for the Cloud Car, and even new mold stuff like the V-wing, Sith Infiltrator, General Grievous' ship, Padme's, etc. If it happens, it won't be quick enough.

PLAYSETS - I love the Mustafar set, but it seems like I'm so much in the minority opinion, that Hasbro may not have a reason to do more sets - especially big good ones like a Death Star and a proper Cloud City, Theed Palace, Galactic Senate, etc. If they are remarketing all the figures however, this might be the time to go that route. But I am blinded by hope I fear.

TWELVE INCH FIGURES - seem to be doomed. One can only hope that items like Chancellor Palpatine, Nute Gunray, a good Padme, some more Jedi like Aayla and Kit, all get made. Right now it does not look to hopeful. A new company could re-launch the line, or Hasbro could relaunch it on the high end, but see the same list of repeated characters above for what you'll first be most likely to get. 12" collectors will save money. Hasbro's sales will be less and less, again.

UNLEASHED - is going to be cancelled after the Shocktrooper wave, and while we all might save more money (and Hasbro makes less), it stumps me as to this move for a highly successful line that still has room for Lando, Qui-Gon, Luke Bespin, Super Battle Droids, and more Jedi like Kit Fisto. I'll save money because I can't buy anything if it doesn't exist, but I'm sorry to see this line go even if it means I have $48 more dollars every few months. :rolleyes: Like that really makes a difference next to the loss of a great line.

GALACTIC HEROES - the transforming vehicle direction this line is going in is the wrong direction. Characters like Qui-Gon and Jabba the Hutt are still lacking, but the same stuff can be rehased until it warms too many pegs unless they create playsets and interactive vehicles and beasts to augment this line. Slave-One, a Republic Gunship, the AT-AT are all no-brainers. If not, this line's future will be short I predict. More money saved by us, less for Hasbro.

M&M'S EMPIRE - I'm not even collecting this. If the figures came with something to eat, I might consider it when I was hungry - but this one is a 2005 and then phased out. I'm not going to even bother. Yes, I think they are cute - some like Vader, the Clone, and Boba Fett are very creative. Others like Anakin and Obi-Wan do nothing for me to tell me these characters are represented by these "toys." They're just M&M's with legs and Jedi robes that I can't even eat.

JEDI FORCE - This line may have a future. The Boga (if it ever gets released) could be popular, and doing more Classic entries like Han Solo (due out next) might make it a fun small line. I'm not sure if it will last beyond some updates in 2006, but parents who are fans will seek these out for their kids, and a few stupid guys like me will think they're cute and want to buy them. I bet a lot of the characters like Yoda and Vader will be continuously recycled, because this line won't encourage variation collecting. More of you may buy them though, one all of you have less to collect. The e-Bay prices for stuff pegwarming now (or out of the stores now - like the first Chewbacca) might take a surprising upswing. It'll be funny to see that, but not surprising. Meanwhile, Hasbro has a few sales left to be made here.

FORCE BATTLERS - Any predictions here? The line is sort of cool with its anime' styled characters and their larger-than-life exagerrated action features and nice articulation make them sort of odd-balls. I am buying them and like them. Some like Dooku, some Battle Droids, and most of all both Fetts, I'd totally dig. This line has some future. It might go to 2007. Sales will be slow and the line will be updated maybe only at 6 month intervals, but people who collected Art Asylum Star Trek will know how that feels. Force Battlers may lend to a more realistic 7" or 8" line on down the road - sort of like Unleashed with Articulation and possible action features. I'm pretty sure I'm through with new lines at this size already - but I'll stick it out for the Force-Battlers. Again, Hasbro has some viability left here.

CLONE WARS CARTOON FIGURES - this will continue, at least for 2006 and possibly into 2007. Hasbro gauged interest at Celebration 3. It was strong for both an animated line, and a Realistic one. Padme in her snow coat, IG-77, Kit Fisto (in anime' form) etc. were all of interest. A small line, it can nevertheless be a strong one. Hasbro will continue here.

TV SERIES FIGURES - Sure they will attempt this. With Hasbro's turn-around time being 13 months for a figure, I would not expect a line to be run like Playmates did for the Star Trek TV series. I think releases will be slower, and more likely at 6 month intervals. They'll augment their 3 3/4" line here (as any other line above for the TV show would be ridiculous). They might issue the TV show figures in the "revamped OTC Collection," or they might do special packaging. The former would seem better, to "force" completists to buy the TV characters. They want to make money, remember? (then again, look at the cancelled Unleashed line and you shake your head...)

2" FIGURES - now rumored as statue pieces or whatever. OK, there are chess sets out there. There are pewter figures. The Attacktix line is being given its trial run. Wizards has its game pieces. Unless these are poseable and scaled further down so that Hasbro can do ships and vehicles to interact with them - even in options never made before - like Jabba's Sailbarge - these aren't my interest. However, the Micro-Collection of metal figures from Kenner's Star Wars days was elaborate and might hook newbies strong. Hasbro probably is right to think they have a future here, but maybe less so with us Old School folks.

Overall, they might want to prepare to scale back their operations by a huge amount!

beckmen
07-06-2005, 07:37 PM
They are killing off Unleashed? Hmmm.

You know, I would have hypothosized that they would continue the 3 1/4" line and Clone Wars Animated lines, Unleashed and Jedi Force and drop the rest. Unleashed seemed to me to be one of the more popular non-event (no movies out at the time) lines. I guess not.

I am pretty sure much of the lines they have now will go away. The market is shrinking big-time now that the movies are done, and collectors represent the only real consumer base. Our bread and burtter has always been 3 1/4" figs, so I expect we will see those in limited waves spread over time. Attacktix I would say will be the first to go. Not sure how good the kiddie lines are doing, but I would be surprised it they were doing good at all. Of course vehicles, playsets, multipacks and role-play will be scaled back to probably nothing as it was in the past. I expect to see occasional 3 1/4" figs on the shelves of my local Wal-Mart and that's it. Probably other stuff elsewhere like Toys R Us and whatnot, but that's irrelevent to poor old me without a car.

But I am sure most of us have TONS of past lines to scour the earth for. It's too bad they cost an arm and a leg. If you have pretty much everything so far out there, you should just commit yourself to an institution because your obsession is so fierce suicide will become a more and more viable-looking option now that there is nothing out there for you to hunt down.

Devo
07-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Here's hoping the 3 1/4" figs will be resculpts for each film rather than repacks - and VOTC style. I really want SA Qui-gon/Maul/Obi-wan for the threeway duel. Leia Boushh could be done far better, DSII Luke, Han Carbonite, and a decent EPIV obi wan robed (plastic) with hood down to name but a few. Neutral posed Ani and Obers in full jedi robes from Eps II and III would also be nice.

Then there are of course numerous possibilities for previously unproduced background characters (preferably from the OT I think there are simply too many in the backgrounds of the PT to be bothered with) and resculpts of lesser characters whose initial figures were crap like Bib Fortuna.

Fluke Skywalker
07-06-2005, 10:16 PM
I hadn't heard that the Unleashed line was officially canceled, but it wouldn't suprise me. The last four or five waves have warmed the pegs around here. Most stores look like that haven't sold a single ROTS Unleashed!

I agree, playsets are going the way of the dinosaur too. Ol' Mustafar is keeping the shelves nice and toasty.

12" line was kinda like Keith Richards, dead but unaware of it. I can't say I really miss it as it was, but would love to see it return better than before.

As a Star Wars collector I have that funky feeling in my stomach, the one you get when the roller coaster you're on plunges. :nerv:

Darth Cruel
07-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Where do we get the idea that the lines are doomed? I have been hearing of the demise of the 12" line for 5 years now and it keeps going. I have not heard of any of the lines being cancelled yet (although it is inevitable for all of them eventually). I have a feeling that at least the 3 3/4" and 12" lines will have some life left with the two TV shows coming out. Some of the other lines are just too specialized to have a huge and prolonged following (which we all know is the lifeblood of any toy line).

2-1B
07-07-2005, 02:15 AM
If they ever cancel Galactic Heroes, someone at Hasbro will pay. Dearly. :evil:

Unleashed . . . 12 Inch . . . if all that's left eventually is the 3 3/4 line, I'm pretty much done collecting toys.

At least Topps will pump out a set every year or two to give me something fun to collect. :)

abell748
07-07-2005, 03:03 AM
I should be able to catch up on the holes in my collection in the coming years. I have some of the Unleashed and I am not sure if I will collect a 2" Unleashed line. I might if they look good and if the 4 packs they are rumored to be in are of characters I like. But why change a popular line like this?
I collected the 12" line and now that one is dead too. This line's demise I can understand though. Hasbro just plain screwed it up. More money for other things I suppose.
That will only leave me with the 3 3/4" line. This line for the next two years will more then likely be rehash. Any new or really good updated character will find a home with me, but other then that, more money saved.
It appears that Hasbro only wants me to get the main line and nothing else if they want to change extremly popular lines or kill everything else I collect. Wait... I hear my vintage collection calling for new found collection cash...........

plasticfetish
07-07-2005, 05:06 AM
Overall, they might want to prepare to scale back their operations by a huge amount!As of right now, I think that's a good idea.

3-3/4" line - This is the meat of my collection, but I wouldn't cry if they cut this down to 20-25 solidly well done figures per year.

VEHICLES - Same thing. If they put out three or four, with maybe two new ones and a repaint/repack or two, I'd be happy.

PLAYSETS - I love playsets... but I never seem to love their playsets. If they put out one great playset per year, I'd maybe be happy.

TWELVE INCH FIGURES - I'd pay more for higher quality figures, but I'd also pay what they're asking now, if they'd simply put out two or three really interesting and fun figures per year.

UNLEASHED - I'll make no bones about it, I never really cared for this line (save for Bossk and the IG-88 that I never saw... ) so I'm not sad to see it go. They should have never marketed this line as broadly as they did. They should have stuck this one in a few collector oriented shops and online. Seeing the pegs at Wal*Mart cluttered by cobweb covered Obi-Wan figures has made this one seem less than special.

GALACTIC HEROES - These are fun I suppose, but I don't care for them, and my kid doesn't really give them much thought. Any kid young enough to play with them wouldn't really "get" Star Wars, so I've always seen them as being toy-collector-crack. Just another cute impulse buy thing to grab when you can't actually find the toy you're really looking for. :ermm:

M&M'S EMPIRE - I think these are simply stupid. I now hate the M&M characters as much as the "California Raisins." (Reese's Pieces rule!)

JEDI FORCE - See "Galactic Heroes" above.

FORCE BATTLER - I think this line is extremely lame. Hasbro has really divided themselves and pushed the Star Wars license too far with the introduction of this line.

CLONE WARS CARTOON FIGURES - I'm all for these (both animated and "realistic") and my son liked these. This is the kind of variety, as long as it's done well, that the 3-3/4" line needs to stay fun.

TV SERIES FIGURES - 13 months for a figure? That's crazy. If they wanted, they could get this down to waaay less than that, and I suspect they will when the time comes.

2" FIGURES - You know, I'm all for the game based little figures. The Attacktix thing isn't for me, but I can see how it might be fun. Just the same, I find the Star Wars miniatures stuff to be fun (though maybe too expensive) also. What I'm not sure that we need is some other variation of these kinds of things, because it sounds like Hasbro's trying to cook up a version of GG's bust-up figures or something. Hey... why not focus on MicroMachines?

I'd be happy to see them drop Unleashed, Galactic Heroes, Jedi Force, Force Battlers (!) and Attacktix in order to focus on a good complete MicroMachines line. (The Titanium stuff is great also BTW.)

dindae
07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
3-3/4" line - I don't see them cutting back on this much as far as the number of figures but I do see them becoming harder to find.
VEHICLES - there will always be vehicles but less in any non movie year
PLAYSETS - we get playsets?
TWELVE INCH FIGURES - I you can't get it right its time to go
UNLEASHED - this is a good product but Hasbro makes too much of it. This would be a good exclusive line sold through Diamond or TRU but when every retailer jumps on board and orders a full boat the line tanks because there just aren't that many people interested.
GALACTIC HEROES - like this line hope it continues
M&M'S EMPIRE - one time is good need no more
JEDI FORCE - can't see this line going much further
FORCE BATTLER - Im shocked that these are moving at all
CLONE WARS CARTOON FIGURES - love to see more but should always be a limited line
TV SERIES FIGURES - I definately will want figures but how many will depend on the quality of the show
2" FIGURES - Can't see this being something I want but I do know someone that has asked for this for a long time. I have collected the miniature game and only played it a handful of time so mabye. But considering my cashflow I hope it is something I won't be interested in.
TITANIUM SERIES - This is the first series of these I have collected. I really like them and if they can improve the distribution I think they will do well (some stores seem to get tons while others never see them)
ATTACKIX - as much as Hasbro wants to pump this up I think the regular miniature game has a better chance at longevity

The bottom line is that without a movie it's time to trim the fat. If Hasbro were smart they could salvage lines like 12" and Unleashed but if it can't be done in a full mass market scale Hasbro doesn't seem interested putting out the effort.

Dark Marble
07-07-2005, 10:38 AM
3 3/4"= I will always collect these. As long as they are made I think there will be a market for them.

Vehicles=Hmmm...I don't really know here. New ones yes, repaints maybe but only a few per year. 2 seems good to me and nothing above $50!

Playsets=Same as vehicles but maybe one good one a year. And $50 should be able to buy a lot of playset.

12" Line=I only have speederbikes out of this and that is it. It should go away for a while. Hasbro is capable of so much more here.

Unleashed=I will miss this line. Hasbro is crazy here.

M&M=What is wrong with novelty every now and then? It is one little line and it is ending after a wave or two. This is a blip on the radar screen with Darth Tater. Collect it or don't, it is not a new line.

Galactic Heroes=I agree with Tycho, they are going in the wrong direction here. They are missing the bus by not taking a chance and making vehicles and playsets from the movies. With a smaller scale and the pressure for maticulous detail off, this line could be great, but I don't think Hasbro will risk it.

Jedi Force and Force Battlers=I haven't looked at these at all. So, I can't say anything about them.

Clone Wars=Either cartoon or realistic, keep them coming.

T.V.=It is going to have to be really good. And I don't see it right now. But I am open to the new directions.

X13VADER
07-07-2005, 10:55 AM
I Only Collect The 3 3/4 Line So The Others Can Go Away Thats Fine. But I Do Think That Hasbro Will Change The Way They Do Things. Shift From Kid Based To Collector Based. I See Them As Making All Back Ground Figures.

DarkArtist
07-07-2005, 11:02 AM
As i am not a collector of the 12 inch this doesn;t phase me that the line may eventually die off. I only bought the KB toys boba Fett and the 12 speeder bike and scout set along with the Han in Carb.

Galactic heroes think I have one set of the Han and Leia two pack because I think my fiance and me are planning on using them in our wedding, perhaps on the cake or one one of the tables..

Unleashed, again not a big fan, too pricy for my tastes.

I really only collect the 3 3/4 line so for me if Hasbro continues just this line with perhaps a few new, and i stress NEW, ships and perhaps an random well made playset i'm all for it.

Didn't get into the Attackits line or the Jedi Force or force battlers line so no tears here.

Perhaps Hasbro is releasing the same thing Kenner did years ago, without the movies the line will eventually fade out and people will grow up and turn to something else.

ronhudy
07-07-2005, 11:03 AM
I don't think Attactix is going away soon. There's another wave being released in September, and at my local Wal-Marts/Targets, there's barely any on the shelves. They seem to be selling fine. Although they didn't sell like hotcakes at first, a few weeks after Midnight Madness, I saw quite a few kids and parents snatching them up.

jedi master sal
07-07-2005, 11:22 AM
3-3/4" line - This is the bread and butter of SW collecting. Don't expect 56 figs in a year anymore and I highly doubt retailers will contiue to carry this line until Hasbro contract runs out in 12 years. So my guess is that we'll get 3-4 dozen figs (yes with some repacks/resculpts), then reduce that to 2 dozen or so after a couple of years. Best guess is that, unless the TV show does well and Hasbro markets any figs related to that show, that the end of 3 3/4 figs is no more than 5 years down the road
VEHICLES - Hasbro really screwed this up this time. They had MANY perfect opportunities to produce some great vehicles/ships. AT-TE for one... We'd be lucky to see any more large next year. There may eb vehicles still, but they will be in the $10-25 price range. Here's hoping for the cloud car and Sith Infiltrator then...
PLAYSETS - Lack of quality from the TPM playsets killed this. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if the rereleased the vintage droid factory. Just a little retolling to make it modern and they could call it the Geonosis droid foundry. I think this line if not dead now will be after this year
TWELVE INCH FIGURES - Sadly this line is dying an early death. Sooo many more characters to make. Either drop the price for the lower quality figs as we have now, or make excellent quality stuff and charge a little more. There's no room in between. This line will be done no later than 2006.
UNLEASHED - Damn, I enjoyed collecting this line. I'm only missing ONE from the whole series. I'll be sad to see it go if rumors are true. Especially if they are being replaced with "Mini Unleashed." But it's a chance to save money I guess.
GALACTIC HEROES - It was remarked that these are fillers for collectors when we can't find something else we want. I'd have to agree with this 100%. I could care less if this line dies
M&M'S EMPIRE - The 8 2-packs that are slated are enough. Nothing more to see here.
JEDI FORCE - Same as Galactic heroes. I would have like this line a little more if the batteries were replacable in the lightsabers.
FORCE BATTLER - Same as Galactic Heroes. I've collected about half of these. But wouldn't be sorry to see them go.
CLONE WARS CARTOON FIGURES - Why in the hell we haven't gotten a "Snow Bunny" Padme or the droids yet in either realistic or Animated is beyond me. There's possiblities with this line. Bu they are limited to the next TWO years. Reason being is that they will be further and further removed from the movies and shows. We'd be lucky to get another wave or two and that's it for this spin-off line
TV SERIES FIGURES - Well, it really depends on what and who the show is about and how well the show as a whole is done. We as collectors have a vested interest in the success of the show. If it tanks early, then it will spell a quicker doom for SW collecting. No prediction here
2" FIGURES - I'm tired of these little things. I have all of the 3 Miniatures game figs. That's quite enough. "Mini Unleashed," just doesn't sound right to me. This line will barely get off the ground, IMHO. They better be really detailed at that scale!
TITANIUM SERIES - A fantastic line, but limited in the amount of ships/vehicles they can do. They've got enough for a few more years (especially with the new Capital ships from ROTS), but that's about it. This line dies in 2-3 years tops
ATTACKIX - How this is even selling I don't know. Though I do see many more kids getting these ones. That's about it though. I give this line 1 year more and it's done.

So within3 years most of these lines will probably be dead. Only 3 3/4 figs and SMALL ships/vehicles will keep the line going. In 5 years, I predict we will see the end of Hasbro style SW toys at retail. They may try for online marketing and purchasing, but I really dont' think there's enough there for them to make a great profit.

This is the year that Hasbro needed to outshine itself with great product. I think they over diversified the line and ultimately that's what going to kill it off sooner rather than later. Intead of JediForce or Force Battlers and Attacktix, we should have gotten better and bigger vehicles and great playsets. Also, MOVIE ACCURATE figures would have helped greatly...

I'm still holding out hope for the specific clone commanders and legion clones, but beyond that, I don't really need every Outlander bar patron or background Temple Jedi for instance.

I'll be happy when the line dies, in that I'll finally have time and money to make the dioramas that I've been planning for. My fiancee will be glad that we'll have some money again. Heh heh.

plasticfetish
07-07-2005, 01:17 PM
M&M=What is wrong with novelty every now and then? It is one little line and it is ending after a wave or two. This is a blip on the radar screen with Darth Tater. Collect it or don't, it is not a new line.You're right... but these are really the only new thing that I'm seeing on the pegs right now (and I'm seeing a lot of them) so it's a little frustrating.

For the record, I thought that Darth Tater was brilliant.

Tom Foolery
07-07-2005, 01:47 PM
I don't think the Unleashed figures are twelve inches tall, more like six or seven inches. I think it's good that they are making room for more toylines like maybe toys similar to McFarlane's sport figures or the new Masters of the Universe Staction figures. Really well sculpted pre-posed figures with highly detailed bases. And if they made more movies there would be more figures, but try telling that to Steven Speilberg. He'll never make a sequel to E.T. even though he was in Star Wars, except those War of the World aliens weren't. Maybe they'll be in Episode VII.

TheDarthVader
07-07-2005, 03:49 PM
The 3 3/4" collection is the best. I know they will not do away with this line. I have over 500 carded figures in this line.

The unleashed line is not bad. I have some of these like the two vaders, emperor, leia in bikini, and mace. The others I did not care to collect.

All of the others...I really don't care.

B.
TDV

jjreason
07-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Well it's sad, but not because they're stopping the lines (I don't collect either 12" or Unleashed).

It's sad because they're already acknowledging that interest in SW will be in a serious lull within just a few months, after riding what seemed like an all-time high between April whatever and July 1st of this year. They're projecting that we the geeks can't support the hobby "as is", and they're planning on paring it back to deal with that eventuality.

Personally, I think cancelling the Unleashed isn't a great idea - I think they sell out pretty quick. I'd cut back (WAY back) on producing them, 6 figures a year tops, and drop the production run down. You'd have the hardcore collectors scooping them up, and the scalper interest to keep them moving off the shelves.

Sadly, the inclusion of Barris and Shaak Ti in the 12" line may have been the last nail in the coffin. Since they're pegging it here, I'm assuming they haven't sold anywhere. What a ROTTEN choice these two were, even though the figures themselves look just beautiful.

Kidhuman
07-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Well, I have like most of the unleashed I saw, but only grabbed two of them. I really couldnt bring myself to collect the entire line.

12" died along time ago. Take this puppy off of life support. As stated in the EE catalog, 12" is dead(read between the lines in it)

I like the M&M and GH lines. I dont think of GH as fillins when nothing else is new. I grab them and stick them with the rest on lay-a-way when I find them. I skim through what I like and pass on what I dont. M&M is a nice mini set.

The CW line needs to continue. Hopefully, we will get a regular line again and not the animated. I couldnt stand the animated figures. The regular line was alot better and we need the rest of the characters. With more cartoons rumored here is to hoping.

The TV show, might put the death to the line as we know it. If it fails, then no new toys. If it goes over greatly, then we have some years of collecting.

plasticfetish
07-08-2005, 12:52 AM
Sadly, the inclusion of Barris and Shaak Ti in the 12" line may have been the last nail in the coffin. Since they're pegging it here, I'm assuming they haven't sold anywhere. What a ROTTEN choice these two were, even though the figures themselves look just beautiful.I've only seen Shaak Ti once here (bought it) and I've never seen Barris. They've gone quickly when they turn up, which is obviously not enough in my area and too much in yours. Yet another distribution problem. :ermm:

CaptainSolo1138
07-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Well, I've lurked for a couple days now so I'll finally say something:

*Getting rid of the Unleashed line=Retarded.
*Scaling back on the Unleashed line=Not a bad idea.

I'd rather see only three or four of these fellas released a year. Releasing three or four every quarter or so is too many. Especially at the $15-$20 price point. Supply breeds demand. Look at Boba Fett and Slave Leia vs. E3 Unleashed. I'm not saying that they need to be THAT unavailable, but don't send a billion cases to the store, man.

I don't know how many times I was gonna pick up Bossk. But why would I do it when I know there's a 95% chance that it will be on clearance and readily available in six monthes?

jedi master sal
07-08-2005, 09:27 AM
I don't know how many times I was gonna pick up Bossk. But why would I do it when I know there's a 95% chance that it will be on clearance and readily available in six monthes?

And therein lies the underlining current to the death of Hasbro SW.

Alot of people want to wait to pick up the stuff at discount. This hurts the hobby, in that if more and more people wait, retailers and Hasbro themselves see this as people losing interest. They don't see it as people wanting to save money. Even so, do you think they want people to buy stuff at cheaper prices? Stores lose money by having stock on shelves for to long. TRU is the best example of that, while Target is the best example of a store that's willing to more stock by putting it on clearance.

My point is this, not only does one risk missing something by waiting (You can never tell what's going to be hot or not or HTF), but you are in part responsible for stores waning interest in stocking this stuff.

True I'd like to save moeny too, but at the risk of killing off the lie prematurely just to save a few bucks, when if we just bought stuff as we see it? If you buy when you see it, then stores will see their stock selling and restock and order new. This goes up the chain as the distribution centers then order more which turns into huge orders to Hasbro which then see that as an interest by consumers and a means for them to gain a profit.

I'm not saying that any one particular person is at fault for this or would bring the line down, but I've heard WAY TO MANY collectors say they are going this route. Shoot, I even considered this before ROTS toys, but quickly turned that around. And I'm glad I did as there's alot of the earlier figures that are getting to be increasingly HTF.

evenflow
07-08-2005, 09:36 AM
As long as the keep the 3 3/4 line going i will be happy. I hope they contineu the animated clone figures, as well as whatever TV show characters they may be. I just wish we could get some EU figures.

CaptainSolo1138
07-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Aw, jeez. I've riled Sal ;)

I guess what was trying to say was that they don't sell when they ship so freaking many at one time. Whether or not I bought one now, there would still be pegs and pegs of these things available in six monthes.

aricajade
07-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Unleashed - I like the look of the Unleashed, but to be honest, I don't own a single one. Too much $$$ for a figure that doesn't move.

12" line - My 4-yr-old likes the 12" but they needed some better character choices, IMO. What happened to ROTS Obi? Mace? Yoda? Ki-Adi Mundi? Bail Organa? Someone that was actually on screen instead of Shaak Ti?

M&Ms - I agree these are great one-timers. But the 8 packs will be sufficient.

GH - This one I hope lives as long as the movies. I love this line and whole-heartedly disagree with them just being fillers. I wish they'd make more vehicles...snowspeeder, At-At, AT-St, Landspeeder, TIE (what else is the X-wing supposed to fight), etc. And there are so many more figures they could make. Regular Lando, Bespin Leia, Snowtroopers, ewok other than Wicket, yoda with cane, more jedi, lobot, frozen han, jabba, any gungan, another Amidala/Padme, and the list goes on and one. The only hiccup I've seen with this line is the X-wing-changes-to-a-go-cart stupid thing they have out now. I hope there are no more of those, for sure.

Jedi Force - There is one major flaw with this line. What is the point? Star Wars is about good guys vs. bad guys. And while there is no shortage of good guys in this line so far (3 lukes, R2, 3PO, Mace, Yoda, Chewie, Anakin) There is just Darth Vader as the lone bad guy. Where is Dooku? Any type of trooper (droid or clone/storm)? Where is Maul? The Emperor? Who are these guys supposed to battle with? Another problem with this line is the stupid accessories they are making. I mean, Endor Luke with the Speeder Bike has a circular saw!?!?!?! Did I miss something?

Force Battlers - I think this would have been a better alternative to the Jedi Force. The figures are still attractive to young kids and they actually have bad guys to fight. But I see these as the "kid toy" and don't see a large future with them simply because there is always a new "kid toy" coming out.

Fluke Skywalker
07-08-2005, 11:36 AM
There are so many Unleashed hanging on pegs around here (Back as far as Mullett-Wan Kenobi) that I'm frankly stunned by the recent price surge on eBay for some of the more recent Unleashed, like Boba Fett and Han Solo. Those two sat on the pegs for over a year at local TRU's without so much as a bite.

Anyway, I'll be sad to see the line go. It's one of the best things Hasbro has done with it's Star Wars licence IMHO.

jedi master sal
07-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Aw, jeez. I've riled Sal ;)

I guess what was trying to say was that they don't sell when they ship so freaking many at one time. Whether or not I bought one now, there would still be pegs and pegs of these things available in six monthes.

No worries. I'm just dismayed at so many people anting to wait for price drops. My comments weren't directed to you specifically, though your comments did spur me to post a response.

True enough that if you bought one now that there would still be pegwarmers. Now just imagine if everyone waited for price drops. Retailers would cut this line short and SW would go bak to the dark times like the mid-late 80s. That's going to happen regardless someday. I'd just as son as see that happen later though.

Ji'dai
07-08-2005, 03:55 PM
No worries. I'm just dismayed at so many people wanting to wait for price drops. My comments weren't directed to you specifically, though your comments did spur me to post a response.

True enough that if you bought one now that there would still be pegwarmers. Now just imagine if everyone waited for price drops. Retailers would cut this line short and SW would go bak to the dark times like the mid-late 80s. That's going to happen regardless someday. I'd just as son as see that happen later though.

I'm another person waiting for sales or clearance. From the Summer of '95 up to the pOTC release I was buying at least two of each figure with plans on doing the same with ROTS. But what did Hasbro do? They raised prices. Now, it's not the first time and probably not the last, but I'll be damned if I'm going to just roll over and pay it. I've passed on a majority of the ROTS figures, have bought only two Deluxe, and have no plans on buying any vehicles or the craptacular playsets until deep clearance time, if at all.

So **** Hasbro and their price increases. I'm not being penalized due to the ineptitude and incompetence rife within Hasbro's management. It's not my problem that the slack-jawed troglodytes that run Hasbro have spent millions gobbling up competing companies like Galoob in order to monopolize the Star Wars license. I can't help it that their company is now in such a dire financial position that they must rely solely on sales of their Star Wars brand in order to return to profitability.

But passing the cost of their stupidity onto their consumers and expecting us to pay for it? Well, they can go to hell. I'd rather the SW toy line end now.

sluray
07-08-2005, 04:33 PM
There is not credible information. I think this is strictly speculation. Nothing official from Hasbro on this information. They do need to make more 12" figs.

Turbowars
07-08-2005, 06:18 PM
There is not credible information. I think this is strictly speculation. Nothing official from Hasbro on this information. They do need to make more 12" figs. Very true and coming from RS we all should have our doubts. Just seems like a strange thing to make up. Maybe thing just were misinterpreted.

I only care about the 4" basics, Ships and Unleashed. Everything else seems to be a waste of shelf space and Hasbro's time.

Hasbro is not going to be happy with us at the SDCC. I know I will express my true feelings. I'd like to knock them upside their heads with their arrogant attitudes.

Kidhuman
07-08-2005, 11:43 PM
The 12" line was confirmed being killed in the latest EE catalog in an interview with a hasbro rep. He stated

But the 12" may take a rest for awhile after Episode III. So if you are a fan snatch these up quick

Tycho
07-09-2005, 12:41 AM
That could also just be a ploy.

Hey - I just got a marketing job at Hasbro.

Day 1: I announce that #56 is the last Star Wars figure we have planned. "So you better collect these figures while you still can."

Day 95: I announce the new figure line and say, "That what I meant to say on Day 1 was that #56 was the last Star Wars figure we have planned until the fall / x-mas line is revealed."

There was another guy who got fired from Marketing at Hasbro.

On his last day he said "Yeah, Barris and Shaak-Ti were cut out of the movie before we knew better and we already had paid for the tooling so we thought some of you guys would buy it just because it was SW in the first place. But you don't have to get these. A 12" Gree and Cody will come out 1st Quarter 2006 and you could SAVE YOUR MONEY and not buy stuff from my company until then."

Kidhuman
07-09-2005, 12:49 AM
I hope the 12" comes back out, but better than it has been.

ROTJLuke
07-10-2005, 02:48 PM
I never collected 12 in figures, nor the unleashed line. However, I am sad to see the Unleashed line go, visually they are a great set.