PDA

View Full Version : Collection 2

snakeplkn
01-14-2002, 08:58 AM
Hasbro allows to see some of the figures from Collection 2. No surprises here, outside of the laser blasts. Female Tusken with child, a great figure, I'll be getting several. Shaak Ti joins Eeth Koth in the one pose wonder (and why are all the new figures doing splits?) Boba Fett looks fine, but I refuse to buy "Baby Boba" or accept his existence. Captain Typho ... horrible.

I'm still curious, where is Count Dooku?

Click here for the link if you haven't seen them yet:

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnewscontent.cfm?id=316

Snake Plissken
"A little human compassion"

JEDIpartner
01-14-2002, 09:25 AM
I have no idea why Hasbeen is putting these figures in "fighting stance". Those just look plain old BAD!

I'm not sure what is up with Captain TYPHOID. Does that guy have a cyber-eye or something? I finally understand what those lollipop things are... they are supposed to be laser blasts. Lame.

Lord Tenebrous
01-14-2002, 10:38 AM
I refuse to put Shaak-Ti's feet in that position. I hope they're articulated. :(

And it says copyright 2002. Episode 1's said copyright 1998. I wonder why Episode 2's isn't copyright 2001...reworking, perhaps?

Beast
01-14-2002, 11:36 AM
Shaak Ti looks alot better then the prototype, still not a huge fan of the fighting stance sculpt though, but atleast the face and the paint job looks better.

Capt. Typho looks ok, gonna be a peg warmer though, I dub him the Ric Olie of the E2 line. The blast that attaches to the gun is a cool new feature.

Boba Fett looks fine, again another case of the finished looking better then the prototypes. Intresting that they didn't give him the gun or the jetpack that was in the prototype pictures. I guess they wanna keep that plot twist secret.

Tusken Mom w/ Child looks great, I really like the papoose idea. I'm glad that it's removable though. The figure looks to have better paint detail then the previous pics floating about.

Here is a much bigger pic, from StarWars.com. Enjoy!

thestarwarsfan
01-14-2002, 12:37 PM
Y'know...this past year has been difficult for me..

I sold my collection last spring and I've been regretting it all year long...I've drooled over some of the figures sitting on the pegs as I swing by the toy aisle in Target, or go completely out of the way at Wal-Mart just to get a sniff of what's new.

You have to admit that since POTJ came out there have been some really great sculpts...the best we've seen...

So my question is...WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED.

Thank goodness I sold my collection when I did. This dribble coming from Hasbro blows. These are the worst figures I've ever seen...and let's be point blank about it...EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THEY SUCK. I haven't seen a decent figure yet. I mean R5-D4 blew, but at least he could be put in my diorama and look decent (if he was in the back somewhere).

But this load of poo???

"Stiff-Arm Anakin", "Flailing Kenobi", "Super-Boobs Padme"...Collection 2 doesn't look any better.

In my opinion, anyone who is excited about these figures just bought into the promo hype of AOTC and has lost their entire sense of what looks good for an action figure....stop being excited about the movie and look at these things for what they are.

It's like when TPM came out everyone loved that first Maul...Compared to what we ended up getting...he was crap, and I thought so from the beginning.....

LTBasker
01-14-2002, 01:59 PM
What the... These look just as bad as the protos, Shaak-Ti looks even worse actually. Still the plastic molded poncho for Fett and the plastic robe for Shaak-Ti. Authenticly detailed yes, but that articulation is worthless when they're pre-posed like that with hard plastic clothing around the articulation points.

El Chuxter
01-14-2002, 02:04 PM
Okay, maybe it's because I'm staying away from most spoilers, but aren't male and female Tuskens supposed to be indistinguishable?

AmanaMatt
01-14-2002, 02:34 PM
ok, the figs are not THAT bad! Sure, I hate the poses, but Shak-ti is a very detailed figure, as is the female Tusken. Yes, I agree with most that baby-boba and the guard are boring as heck, but so was every Episode I Anakin fig; this line will come with the good and Bad; personally, I think there will be many awsome figs released over the course of the year.

We need to cut Hasbro a little slack....(as the tomatoes are thrown)

Lord Tenebrous
01-14-2002, 03:05 PM
Okay, maybe it's because I'm staying away from most spoilers, but aren't male and female Tuskens supposed to be indistinguishable?

Let's just say that some basic EU is being rewritten by Lucas in AOTC.

Wolfwood319
01-14-2002, 03:15 PM
I have ZERO interest in any AOTC action figures I've seen as of yet. Action stances, molded blast-reflections, just plain dumb. I'm sorry, but as it stands, Bo Shek will probably be the last new Star Wars action figure I buy.

pthfnder89
01-14-2002, 03:16 PM
No tomatoes coming from my direction Amanamatt. I think you nailed it right on the head.

After seeing Hasbros official pics of Collection1, I was still very disappointed. But saying that these Collection2 figures are worse than the prototypes is complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Yes, Shak-ti is a one pose wonder, { her race must have some funky hip joints to stand like that ;) } but like Matt said, she's very detailed figure, and after seeing the finished product, I might actually buy one. I am a DIEHARD proponent for articulation (especially Jedis who should be very flexible with the kind of acrobatics they do) but if you don't like a specific figure, don't buy it, and let that be a lesson to Hasbro.

I thought Cptn. Typho and Boba Fett were a few of the only figures that actually looked promising in the prototype pictures, and they look even better to me now. JarJarBinks is pretty spot on though, and I agree, that they will be pegwarmers. But that's not because the figures suck, it's because they're secondary characters who just aren't as interesting.

I REALLY like the new Tusken raider female though and I think she's just a good figure with plenty of play value so far.

So far, I'm pretty upset that that main characters who I'm most excited about (Coll1) are still looking very bad to me, while the characters I'm barely interested in, are probably the first ones I'll buy because I like their figures.

SithDroid
01-14-2002, 03:30 PM
The figures look alright to me. At least they look way better than the first Episode II wave we saw of sitff arm Anakin, bow-legged Ben, and Big Boobs Amidala. I think that the blast shot reflection should be removed from Shaak Ti's Lightsaber. If anyone were to try and play with that thing , it would suck. It would be an anoyance. I'll saw mine right off if it has it. It looks stupid. The Tusken Raider female looks the coolest out of anything I've seen so far. Although I don't agree with how Lucas is re-writing Star Wars lineage, chronology, and such that he is ending up making a huge mess out of the Prequels. Stick to producing and let someone else do everything else. That's Why ESB turned out to better than ANH. Can't we learn from this.

LTBasker
01-14-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
After seeing Hasbros official pics of Collection1, I was still very disappointed. But saying that these Collection2 figures are worse than the prototypes is complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Um, no actually I'm voicing my Opinon. You can tell me all you want to to just not buy the figures if I don't like them but the thing is, I can't do that, I love StarWars and I love getting the figures, I just think I have a right to voice my opinion on these figures that I'm putting money into. Hasbro is taking a step back which is ridiculous because of what happened May 3rd.

As for the Tusken Raider Female, it actually appears to only be able to use 2 points of articulation.

The detail on alot of these figures is nice, with the exceptions of the head sculpts and Padme and a few others but the detail isn't the only thing an action figure should have which is what Hasbro doesn't realize. An action figure, a toy should be able to be played with even if you're not gonna play with it, at least be able to choose the pose you want it in.

I'm not complaining just for the sake of complaining, I just feel like voicing my opinion which just happens to be negative. I admit I was over-exaggerating a bit but Shaak-Ti's pose from what I remember has gotten worse and now that I actually see the "blaster bolt deflect" stuff in action, I don't like the idea even more cuz it's gonna take away from the lightsaber which appears to be done like Eeth Koth's saber with the "energy blasts." I don't see why they couldn't just stay with the original sabers but give them better detail and removable blades like Sith Lord Darth Maul's saber.

Paul-Kenobi
01-14-2002, 03:57 PM
"Stiff-Arm Anakin", "Flailing Kenobi", "Super-Boobs Padme" LOL

I do agree the they suck alittle bit but i think padme looks ok even with the boobs but then again who cares.

derek
01-14-2002, 03:59 PM
why is boba fett wearing a trash bag? :D

stillakid
01-14-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous

Let's just say that some basic OT is being rewritten by Lucas in the prequels. :)

Jargo
01-14-2002, 04:07 PM
he's wearing the trash can because he's ashamed to be seen in the girly outfit they make him wear. Either that or the fact he's got a gammy leg.....

I find it odd that Hasbro would pay such an astronomical sum of money for the licence only to make toys that no-one seems to want. Wouldn't it have made sense to listen to the people who buy the product and tailor the line to their requirements? Thereby guaranteeing sales and thus ensuring a return on the investment.
What odd marketing. Almost like throwing the money down the toilet.

mylow thehutt
01-14-2002, 04:59 PM
:confused:Very intresting,Typhon is realy cool. :happy:

sith_killer_99
01-14-2002, 06:53 PM
LTBasker I'm not quite sure what you were trying to say with the whole lightsaber thing. Eeth Koth's lightsaber has a removable blade, plus it can attatch to his belt. It's one of the best saber's I've seen in a long time.

I respect everyone's right to express themselves. I'm not thrilled about the new line, but it could be worse, and it may get better.

That seems to be the trend with Hasbro. The first few figures of any new line are always the worst.

As for the "blaster bolt deflection" feature, do we know if it is removable from the saber or not? It looks like two seperate pieces to me? But I could be wrong.;)

As for Boba the kid, who knows, he may still come with a jet-pack. I guess I'll wait to see 'em up close.

LTBasker
01-14-2002, 07:05 PM
I was talking about the spikes around the base of the blade on Eeth's saber, I don't get where Hasbro got those from...

bigbarada
01-14-2002, 07:06 PM
Habro may consider Boba's jetpack a spoiler so they are holding off on showing it, OR it could be yet another script change.

GNT
01-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Habro may consider Boba's jetpack a spoiler so they are holding off on showing it, OR it could be yet another script change.

I guess people are blind when it comes too the the Please note at the bottomof the page...

Not as bad but still not great

badtaste
01-15-2002, 02:57 AM
Pleace guys,

It's just that you,ve got used to them. I think they look much more interesting than the first episode one figs. Is that what you want? more and more of the same stuff? Everything in the same style? Over and over again. I'm glad Hasbro explores diff. poses for diff. ages. I like to see new variations...

Darth Mojhaan
01-16-2002, 10:27 PM
I am sick of everyone complaining about these figures. Do any of you remember 1995, when Star Wars came back to the toy ailes to fill the void we had in our lives. Everyone at that time praised the He-Man Luke and the Stiff Chewie who seemed to have a grin and fans all around the world screamed in delight. If any one is like me, they ripped those packages open to examine the horrible resemblance to the movies and we still screamed in delight. Years passed, more Lukes and Vaders and Landos and well you get the idea, arrived in our hands and I am one of the many who opened the packages to display and you cannot tell me that when you look back, all those figures were stiff in stance and play value. And still to this day, they can't get the sculpt right on Luke Skywalker. You complain about the stances and the statue liknesses but answer me this, are you going to play with them or display them. I purchased the newest Spawn recently and he is like a statue. Two points of articulation but I display him because he is awsome. Quit griping, you sound like a bunch of children.
I love the figures and I am proud of Hasbro, they are directing the line towards the adults more because it is the adults who made this line popular.

Obi-Don
01-17-2002, 09:12 AM
The detail on these figure are very good. But I think that most people are wanting a figure that is poseable and not fixed in one position. I don't find it being like a child to make comments on like or dislikes. Yes some may go to far sometimes ,but this is our money we are spending and we should be able to express that we like or dislike the product. I have always and will always say"If you don't like it,change the channel,close the book ,or don't buy it." As for me I will make my judgements when I see them up close. If I like it I will buy it.If not I won't. And if I choose,I will come to this site and voice my opinnion as to why and will read others and talk about it. Thats what we do here.

I don't play with mine and I do display them. But I would like to be able to display them as I want to. And I think thats what everyone is getting so up set about.

thestarwarsfan
01-18-2002, 06:58 PM
Blow me...none of this crap about the old figures from 95 being cheese that we loved....we didn't have any better. Well in the last few years, we had better. What we get now is crap...

I look forward to all you poops falling over yourselves to pay $8 a figure that sucks balls. It's become a joke...especially after the over-marketed hype of EpI....hmmmm I wonder if we'll see simlar product hype this time?

pthfnder89
01-22-2002, 10:12 AM
Aww... is thestarwarsfan a widdle bitter?:cry:

I'm pretty upset about the descisions in the new figs, but I agree absolutely that the first figures back in 95 were amazing at the time. It took quite a while before anyone complained about them not looking right. (well, with the big exception of the first Leia.)

If you don't really have anything constructive to say thestarwarsfan, you might want to find another board.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
01-22-2002, 03:36 PM
Actually, I thought the first figures mostly sucked back in '95. I hated them buff look, the elongated lightsabers, and the action poses. I never bought the He-Man Luke or the early deluxe figures or many other things because they sucked. I just didn't think to get on the internet to rant about them at the time...

JediCole
01-22-2002, 09:59 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous

This is just another fine example of how the "Epanded Universe" is a bunch of GARBAGE! No offense to those who enjoy the EU stuff, as some of it can be fun, but in the end, if it doesn't appear on screen (that's the big screen mind you), it never happened (for my money). I have read very little EU, mostly because very few writers have much of grasp of the unique nature of the Star Wars universe. If you think the look of female Tusken flies in the face of the EU, what about the appearance of Greedo in the deleted EI scenes?!

But this is off topic, that of the AOTC figures. Personally I see little intrinsic difference from the "Frozen in One Pose" fate of a figure in an action or a static pose. Rigidly straight arms and legs are still frozen in a pose, albeit one in repose. Though I too feel that the action poses are not necessary. The thing I have the most problem with is the built-in gimics, like Anakins "nothing up my sleeve" lightsabre. Needless to say, the look of many of the core characters leaves me cold and I will save a bundle until the resculpts arrive.