PDA

View Full Version : Structural QUALITY LACKING in new Vader, Sidious vs. Yoda Unleashed. (or..What sucks)

Tycho
07-09-2005, 03:32 AM
You have this great sculpt of a huge, heavy, solid Vader with an articulated left arm...and three little supports that barely lock into place on the staircase and seem to want to randomly misfit or fall out sideways. Couple that with the fact that since Vader is leaping, both his feet are off the stairs and a "fat part" of his cape sculpt has the peg in it to attach him to the stairs. With the weight off balance, I can't wait for natural environmental stresses (such as gravity, not to mention plastic warping some with heating and cooling) and this thing probably will be more of a disaster displaying than the Geonosis Obi-Wan Kenobi! :frus:

They should have done something to make the stairs more solid or posed Vader so he'd have at least one foot on the base.

We'll use this thread to let everyone post when Vader takes a dive. I imagine we'll have the 7000 some posts in the LA Area Just Found Thread tied before the year is over. :rolleyes:

Sidious vs. Yoda is slightly more durable. However, there is NO BASE. The whole thing stands on Sidious' hoop skirt. I mean it's sweet that you get 2 characters, but are you telling me that the tooling for Yoda cost them so much they couldn't at least have the flat red carpeting from Palpatine's office as a base? How cool could it have been to be set in a Senate Pod or espcially on the Chancellor's speaking dais? The Force Lightning is darker than Dooku's or the ROTJ Sidious' as well and this gives it less visibility. Finally, I think the paint application is too faded. Sidious wore rich, dark colors that were nothing if not strong. This pastel **** the Unleashed is wearing looks sort of wrong. The sculpt is good, and the concept behind the painting of the figure is good, but it just didn't come out as good as it could have.

You guys know me. I rave about how much I love stuff like the Mustafar Playset and it may seem like I'm easily pleased if it says "Star Wars" on it.

So take my warning seriously when I'm disappointed. I had my computer shut down for the evening and actually booted it up and logged back on to post this because it bothered me so much. Unfortunately, I didn't need $32 for anything else in particular at this moment, so I still don't regret buying them.

Oh well. Maybe it is best the line does die before they make a Royal Guard wearing pastel purple instead of red!

:mad:

Jayspawn
07-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Where did you get yours Tycho? I've been on the lookout...

Did you get Ventress?

Tycho
07-09-2005, 11:51 AM
I got mine at Toys R Us at 10am yesterday, right when they opened. I actually bought all the Vaders and Sidious vs. Yodas they had (which was 2 sets) and got one of them to my friend Darren this morning.

A few days earlier I got my Ventress at Target at about 11am, but missed the others because I didn't get there at 8 o'clock.

Some people might be doing the same thing as me: buying them all out. They may not be scalpers (I'm not) but just doing the same thing I did for a friend, while Unleashed is coming out in a very slow trickle of an amount.

Fortunately, I think that all 6 regulars in my collecting group have a complete set now. So we're done with that wave already. As a matter of fact, unless the Anakin Evolutions set or the Jett Zukasa or Pilot Obi-Wan waves show up, I have NO (ZERO) Zilch reasons to go into a toy store! (yaaay!)

mastermatt24
07-10-2005, 01:08 AM
Is ventress good? I cant find her... :cry:

Tycho
07-10-2005, 02:01 AM
Someone else will have to answer that one for you.

I've bought a handful of Unleashed I've never opened because I don't have the right place to display them:

Luke Hoth
Aayla
Bossk
Tusken Raider
Aurra Sing
IG-88
Ventress

I think that's it....

I set up most of my Unleashed that go with each other:

Geonosis: Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan, Mace, Clone Trooper
Geonosian Hanger Bay: Yoda, Dooku

Death Star: Luke DS II, Emperor Palpatine, Stormtrooper, Darth Vader #3, Darth Sidious vs. Yoda

Bespin: Darth Vader #1

Theed: Darth Maul

Utopau: General Grievous

Tatooine: Leia Slave, Boba Fett (if I had more room, I'd open the Tusken to join them)

Mustafar: Anakin 2, Obi-Wan 2

Kamino: Jango with Boba

Endor: Han Solo, Chewbacca

I think that's it. I'm going to eventually display Aurra vs. Aayla from Jedi Secura's comic book.

Luke and Ventress will probably end up by themselves since the line is dying. Too bad. I'd hoped for a Snowtrooper and a "ripped" Anakin to go with each respectively....(though maybe Ventress can go with Grievous).

Bossk and IG-88??? Good Question. I'd always hoped that they'd make Zuckuss, Dengar, and 4-LOM to go with them, but if Bossk pegwarms, those others are going to sell???? Yeah. I don't have my hopes up now.

By the way: Day 2 and Darth Vader (the new one) has not yet fallen. I hope I am wrong about this.

mastermatt24
07-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I put Aayla next to my blue iMac- they go well together. :)

Hellboy
07-12-2005, 07:18 PM
I think this entire wave looks like poo. I'm passing on all of them. :p

Darth Alex
07-25-2005, 01:28 AM
I'd LOVE to find this wave, but Hasbro/retail can NOT seem to get it to PA.
I agree that these sculpt could've been done...better, but at least I'd like the opportunity to see em in person and make a decision.

plasticfetish
07-25-2005, 03:54 AM
So take my warning seriously when I'm disappointed.Hmmm. So there I was standing in Wal*Mart the other night with one of those Vader's in my hand, trying to decide if I wanted to buy it. They had about four cases of new Unleashed out on the pallets -- one of them had been opened and all of the new figures were inside -- so I grabbed a Vader and stared at it.

I put it back because the paint wasn't perfect. I decided that I'd wait until the other cases were opened to see how they looked. Now... I guess I don't really care anymore. :neutral:

(Again.) Hmmm. I'm really kind of interested to see how that mini-unleashed line turns out. With petroleum being so expensive, I can see why they'd want to go small... reminds me of the mid '70s in a way.

Tycho
07-25-2005, 12:20 PM
As flimsy as I think the base for my Vader is, he has still NEVER fallen.

Surprising so far.

pmrjulio
08-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Do you had any problems with Mustafar Obi Wan?

I have the Anakin vs Obi setting and he is always leaning to the right...

Do I have them set up the wrong way?
I passed on Ventress and got the other 2. Still in box, nowhere to display...

mastermatt24
08-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Yea I did- he leans sometimes, as does the lava..
I dont know why everyone is passing on ventress.. I think she looks good in and out of the package.

pmrjulio
08-17-2005, 03:21 PM
I dont know why everyone is passing on ventress.. I think she looks good in and out of the package.
I think that it is not as popular as other characters. And if you have not seen the Clone Wars comics, you don't know her. Almost everyone will prefer Cody, Baccara, 501 Trooper, clone commander, etc. before Ventress.
I think that the only figures may be less popular than that one will be Jar Jar, Ewok, Nemodian Warrior or Bail Organa Unleashed (although the Utupau Warrior, Capt. Antilles and Jukassa will be soon one of the least desirable-taking in consideration the response to the ROTS figs).

Turbowars
08-17-2005, 08:58 PM
I fixed my ROTS Obi with some JB weld epoxy. I just put some on the peg hole and where all the joints of the flame meet the base.

mastermatt24
08-18-2005, 02:05 AM
NIce- that stuff is great, I just used some the other day on my bacara custom that im still working on. I have'nt glued any of my unleashed... yet.. :evil: If I did I think I would just use a little super glue- that JB wled is STRONG!

Turbowars
08-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Hell yeah it's strong. I have repaired countless items over the years from car mirrors to custom SW toys, this stuff rocks. Super glue has it's purpose, but sucks in many ways.

mastermatt24
08-20-2005, 12:53 AM
My dad first got it after Paul Harvey (an old guy on the radio) talked and talked about it. I would use it more- bu I think its a little slow.

Rocketboy
08-20-2005, 02:09 AM
I think that the only figures may be less popular than that one will be Jar Jar, Ewok, Nemodian Warrior or Bail Organa Unleashed.I'd buy all of those before a Ventress.

Jayspawn
08-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Just picked up Unleashed Vader today! These things are far and few in my area, so I was pretty excited to find him!

I opened and set him up. He looks great alll put together, but I fear he'll fall over any minute. Maybe tat s just the way he's built. Who knows. If the base doesnt prove stong enough, I've thought about building a freezing chamber stair base for him.

OC47150
08-29-2005, 05:26 PM
I opened and set him up. He looks great alll put together, but I fear he'll fall over any minute. Maybe tat s just the way he's built. Who knows. If the base doesnt prove stong enough, I've thought about building a freezing chamber stair base for him.

A friend warned me about this problem. The stairs aren't strong enough for Vader's weight. I haven't figured out how to add some support just yet.

Ventress has a problem with her base, too.

Vader does look great, though. :thumbsup:

Hellboy
08-29-2005, 06:08 PM
The Unleashed line has had this problem from the get go. Maul's saber had sagging issues as did the Clone Trooper's rifle and some people even had trouble with their Yodas not staying together. Cheap plastic and hokey design flaws are no substitue for a good resin statue at your side.

Jayspawn
08-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Well said Hellboy! Thats why you and I are Gentle Giant collectors!

I picked up Sidious vs Yoda a few days ago (finally!) and havnt had any problems yet. My Unleashed Vader is holding up nicely.

bobafrett
08-31-2005, 12:32 PM
My unleashed Vader seems to be holding up well. The Yoda Sedious I have bought only one, so it remains carded. The sad thing is, my Stormtrooper blash that is coming from his gun has wilted, and now snapped off with the one section stuck in the blaster barrel

At least my GG Vader sculpture will eventually be here, and I don't foresee any problems like that with that masterpiece.

Hellboy
08-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Hehe . . check this auction out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Darth-Maul-Unleashed-Loose_W0QQitemZ5994193131QQcategoryZ50263QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I love the seller's comments, "The saber is slightly bent." Ya think?? lol lol lol

Turbowars
08-31-2005, 10:56 PM
Hehe . . check this auction out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Darth-Maul-Unleashed-Loose_W0QQitemZ5994193131QQcategoryZ50263QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I love the seller's comments, "The saber is slightly bent." Ya think?? lol lol lolLOL, thats crazy. Mine isn't even close to being that bad. This guy must put his figures in the oven.

OC47150
09-01-2005, 07:40 AM
I don't now what's sadder: the bent saber or that someone paid $30 for that Maul with a bent saber.