PDA

View Full Version : Reading!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Two more read, and these were weird ones.

A bio of the reclusive billionaire called The Passions of Howard Hughes by his former wife Terry Moore and another writer Jerry Rivers. Dude was a freak! I'd heard that the movie The Aviator was based on a book written, but when I read some reviews and the book jacket of that one, I thought it'd be too salacious (crumb?) and lewd. But this one wasn't too far off that. :eek: This was uncomfortable to read at times, as well as being simplistic and "movie like" for me.

Emile Zola's Therese Raquin. I only picked this because I haven't read many 'Z' authors, and it was a short book. It started out slow and dull, but then it got odd, bizarre, gross, and downright freaky sometimes. It was kind of like "The Telltale Heart" by Poe, in that characters express guilt at what they've done. Weird, but pretty good.

Might only have time for one or two books left for the summer. :(

DarthQuack
08-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Finished Blaze by Richard Bachman, now reading Firestarter by Stephen King. :lipsrsealed:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Finished Blaze by Richard Bachman, now reading Firestarter by Stephen King. :lipsrsealed:Sweet... two different authors. :thumbsup: Like the flame motif, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Might have justed finished my last summer book, #33.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I liked this one, even if it was gut-wrenching to read at times. Fictionalized reality, it's set over 40-some years in Afghanistan, America, and Pakistan, and it traces the life of a family. My school has been considering it as an English book for students, and I'd probably agree.

I'm starting another novel, but don't know if there's time to get it doen before next week's return to school planning. :ugh: :tired:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2007, 10:10 AM
I was able to squeeze in one last, short novel: Morality Play by Barry Unsworth. It's set in the 14th century, and written in that time's style, about a traveling acting troupe that acts out a murder in a small town that ends up finding the true killer. It was alright; I only chose it because I've read so few 'U' authors (see my statements for 'Z' and 'X' authors :rolleyes: ).

So, final stats for ;07 summer are...

34 books, 9100 pages, 268 average length book.

More specific details...

By categories:
Star Wars - 1
Sci-Fi/Horror - 2
Biography - 5
History - 4
Mystery - 1
Romance - 1
Western - 1
Young Adult - 2
General Fiction - 9
Movie Tie-In - 3
Miscellaneous - 5
(Subgroup: books with 'secret' in title - 4)

Authors by letters of alphabet - 20 (none of I, O, P, Q, X, Y)
Most of any letter - S (5: Steel, Steinbeck (2), Sebold, Sun-Tzu)

So, over the last four summers: 116 books read, 31,000 pages about. Too bad so many things are coming to end now... :cry:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-12-2007, 07:52 PM
That's bad; almost two months since my last book read. :( Stupid "responsibility" and "employment." :upset: :rolleyes:

Any-woo, I finished a book, and it was a SW book, too. The lame Legacy of the Force series got a little better, with this 5th book (or is it the 4th? 6th? 1138th? I dunno anymore), but it is robbing the Prequels big time. I am saddened by the direction it's going, but I guess I'll have to wait for another Zahn book, or the Death Star one that sounds cool.

I'm starting Stephen Colbert's book, and it's funny from the first five pages or so (nice alliteration, Bel-Cam). It's written like the show, so it should be subtlely overt in its humor.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-13-2007, 10:54 AM
There've been a few overtly subtle things in I Am America (And So Can You! ) so far; I'm about 1/3 through. Here's a picture of the author photo on the back cover jacket; it's drawn by Joe Quesada:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Finished I Am America (And So Can You) by Stephen Colbert. I could hear his voice inflections as I read (just like you mentioned in the book, Mr. ColberT :D ). Funny, and not-at-all-funny at times. Not quite as good as Jon Stewart's America: The Book, but less crude. That makes 688 books tallied, but it might be a while before I get to another one (Dave Barry's got a new book, so I'll try for that one first).

DarthQuack
10-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Currently reading The Truce at Bakura to be followed by Death Star...I can't wait!

DarthQuack
10-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Finished The Truce at Bakura. I thought it was a decent book, got through it in less than a week. Now reading Death Star!

Rocketboy
11-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Just finished My Boring-As$ Life by Kevin Smith. Fun read from start to finish.

I'm struggling through Band of Brothers, which I borrowed from Cappy months ago. Not sure why I'm having such a tough time because I really enjoy this type of book.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2007, 10:56 AM
A surprisingly good young adult hardback SW book was The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader by Rhyder Windham. It compiles the time from pre-TPM to the end of ROJ, including some other EU stories (from some obscure Marvel Comics storylines, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Shadows of the Empire, etc.). Told at a simple reading level, but well constructed. It's in a cool cardboard slip cover with a nice Drew Struzan painting.

Trying to start Death Star, but might have to wait a bit. Interesting, that this book size is no bigger than 2 meters. :p

jedibear
11-07-2007, 11:40 PM
I enjoyed The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader book too. It's a quick read and the slipcover (mask) is clever. I've enjoyed most of the "young reader" books for Wyndham and Watson for Star Wars.
Just got done with Death Star...made some comments about it over in that thread...
Saving the new Republic Commando: True Colors for when I'm traveling later in the month...

OC47150
11-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Currently reading the Killer Elite, about the Intelligence Support Agency, the military's most secret special ops group. It's an okay read. Thought it would be better. Glad I didn't buy it.

Read a few other interesting books in the last few months. One was called Storm on the Horizon, about the Marines at the battle of Khafji during the first Gulf War.

Read a book by Dan Kurtzman about the Germans planning to invade the Vatican and kidnapping/and or killing the Pope. The title escapes me right now. It was an okay read. Sections of it were redundant, but interesting. The Pope supposedly knew about the Holocaust but was hesitant to speak out about it out of fear of what would happen to Catholics who were secretly hiding Jews.

Also reread Alastair McLean's Where Eagles Dare. Haven't read that one since junior high.

Going to get the next Last of the Jedi and Republic Commando books for the Thanksgiving holiday.

The library didn't have Death Star the last time I checked.

Vi Cit Tecum
11-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Currently reading Deeper by Jeff Long book 2 in the "Descent" trilogy. In "Descent" man discovers a lost race of demons living under the earth that have had a "civilized" society before man and has used them as slaves for many centuries. man soon discover riches and physical changes take place underground. A really good book. "Deeper" goes further into man's exploration of the underground

DarthQuack
12-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Finished Death Star last week and just read through Darth Bane in about 5 days. I enjoyed this book a lot, an easy read for me because I didn't want to put it down! Now onto re-reading the Zahn trilogy starting with Heir to the Empire. Hopefully I can get into a good flow or reading the 30-40 books I haven't read yet up through the NJO and beyond.

TeeEye7
12-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Currently reading Tom Brokaw's Boom! Voices from the Sixties. So far, so good. (I'm a Boomer myself, kiddies :eek:)

Also on deck are two more Brokaw's I asked Santa for: The Greatest Generation Speaks: Letters and Reflections and An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation.

I read The Greatest Generation quite a while back and wanted to catch up/follow up on the others.

CaptainSolo1138
12-28-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm currently reading Michael Lewis' "Moneyball" about the early 00s Oakland A's and Billy Beane, more specifically their use of complicated computer models for drafting rather than picking the guy who appears to be best.

On deck: "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond, "I Am America (And So Can You!)" by Stephen Colbert and "Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Dick Winters".

Bel-Cam Jos
12-28-2007, 08:08 PM
I'd almost forgotten what it was like to finish an actual book. And the book I finished was yet another so-so SW one, Republic Commando: True Colors, by Karen Traviss. Problem with these are that I don't really care about the characters. She's trying to make the clones more human, but they're coming off as too stiff and dull. Sorry. :(

Trying to start the next Legacy book Fury, and maybe get to a non-SW book, too, before this holiday vacation ends.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-30-2007, 02:23 PM
For a change, I was really into a SW novel, Fury by Aaron Allston. I've really like his style, as far back as his fill-in with the X-Wing Squadron series. It had a nice build up, and the end of the book wasn't really a cliffhanger, although you could say that the last chapter leaves many questions. I've loathed this series for the most part, but book 5 (or is it 7? I forget) was pretty good.

Going to start Mockingbird the semi-biography of TKAM author Harper Lee, that I've had on my bookshelf for a couple months. Unless my library gets the next Darth Bane novel in soon.

OC47150
01-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I kept my holiday tradition of reading a SW book over the Christmas holiday. Since I didn't have an extended vacation, like in years past, I went with a couple of young adult books.

Read the first two Jedi Apprentice books and am finishing up the young Boba Fett adventures #3 tonight.

I'll have to track down more of the Jedi Apprentice books. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about pre-padawan Obi-Wan.

I've been wanting to get Death Star from the library, but it's always checked out. I might read X-Wing: Wraith Squadron in the meantime.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-02-2008, 11:12 AM
I kept my holiday tradition of reading a SW book over the Christmas holiday. Since I didn't have an extended vacation, like in years past, I went with a couple of young adult books.

I've been wanting to get Death Star from the library, but it's always checked out. I might read X-Wing: Wraith Squadron in the meantime.Nothing wrong with young adult SW EU; some of the best reads are from that genre. And a great tradition, BTW! :thumbsup:

I've found the wonder of "the hold." My library charges $.50 per hold, and it prevents the other holder from extending their check-out. Plus, I feel like my 4 bits is helping literacy grow in my community. :rolleyes: :greedy:

In my march towards 700 total books read, I had a coworker give me some short ha-ha nostalgia books, Growing Up Catholic and More Growing Up Catholic that weren't too bad. And Mockingbird is still on deck.

El Chuxter
01-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Megatron: Origin arrived and I breezed through it yesterday. Ugh. This was as mediocre as the rest of the IDW Transformersverse has been good. It isn't a full origin, and it doesn't fit in with any version of G1 Transformers, including the one it's set in!

So you're meaning to tell me that the totally deranged would-be galactic despot was a miner who lost his job, was heavily influenced by Frenzy and Rumble (of all people), and provided weapons by Ratbat because he thought he could turn a profit from an uprising? Huh? And why are "young" characters like Bumblebee already Autobot warriors long before there even is a faction called the Decepticons? Why didn't a certain one-eyed SOB factor in?

If this is the sort of stuff we can expect from writers other than Furman, IDW had better make plans to never release anything else without his involvement. This was a waste of $13.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Starting volume 4 of SIN CITY, THAT YELLOW BASTARD. After I finish this series, i'm going to start the DARK TOWER series by Stephen King. Looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

OC47150
01-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Nothing wrong with young adult SW EU; some of the best reads are from that genre. And a great tradition, BTW! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Bel-Cam. I've been reading a SW book at Christmas for about the last five years.

I started Wraith Squadron the other night.

I need to make a nice 'donation' at the local library before I can check out anything else.

El Chuxter
01-06-2008, 07:02 PM
The Dark Tower is 4/7 of a great series.

El Chuxter
01-17-2008, 07:21 PM
<bump>

The Golem: A New Translation of the Classic Play and Selected Short Stories. More research, though it's quite an enjoyable read. You guys must look at my "research" and think I'm schizo.

Rocketboy
01-28-2008, 01:44 PM
My own thread and haven't posted here in 3 months...

Been on a bit of a kick lately, since the new year:

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson - Good story, but shorter than I expected at only 150-some pages. The other short stories after were all pretty good. Just need to see the movie now.

The Dangerous Book For Boys by Hal and Gonn Iggulden - "Recapture Sunday afternoons and long summer days. The perfect book for every boy from 8 to 80."
An awesome reference book or sorts. From building tree forts and go-karts to history to science to coin tricks to literature to astronomy to first-aid to bugs and dinosaurs, this book has a bit if everything. Flip through it in the store and you'll want to buy it.

Star Wars - Last of the Jedi #9: Master of Deception by Jude Watson - Good penultimate chapter to the story. As I said in it's own thread, I'm mainly reading to see how it ends.

Y: The Last Man #1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra - The first trade of the comic book series. A mysterious plague instantly wipes out every male on the planet (man and animal), except one man and his male monkey. I've heard nothing but great things about the series and I got a great deal on this one. Very well done and engaging. Can't wait until I get the next one.

The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw - Had this for quite a while and just started reading it a few days ago. Good stuff, but it can seem a little bit repetitive at times when discussing these fascinating people today.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-28-2008, 10:35 PM
I have two books in progress (normally don't do that, as it confuses plots/details at times), and once they're done that'll give me 700 total read. Woo hoo.

DarthQuack
01-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Finished Courtship of Princess Leia a couple days ago, not a bad read...now onto a King book before I get back in the SW universe....Picked up Duma Key and am about 30 pages in....might read some more tonight.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Finished book #699, Darth Bane: Rule of Two. Pretty good one. Am four chapters into Mockingbird, the semi-authorized bio of Harper Lee.

OC47150
02-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Finished Wraith Squadron. I enjoyed it.

Started reading Licensed Renewed, the first James Bond novel written by John Gardner. I read this when it first came out when I was in junior high. It's starting slow, but I'm enjoying it.

Haven't been to the library to see if it has Death Star or Darth Bane #2.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-18-2008, 06:42 PM
After almost four months to the day, I finally finished Mockingbird: A Portait of Harper Lee by Charles J. Shields. On 10/19/07, I attended a book discussion by the author as part of The Big Read program for To Kill a Mockingbird and bought a copy of his book (softcover :cheapskate: :rolleyes: ), which he signed. It's a good biography, done without him speaking to Ms. Lee, all the more impressive. I liked it, so much so that I am considering ACTUALLY WRITING MY OWN DANG BOOK AFTER FIFTEEN YEARS once again. Ahem. Frustrated writer? Yup.

Anyhow, it's also the 700th book I have ever read in my life, since I started keeping track about 5 or 6 years ago. Woo. Hoo. :pleased:

TeeEye7
02-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Anyhow, it's also the 700th book I have ever read in my life, since I started keeping track about 5 or 6 years ago. Woo. Hoo. :pleased:

Congrats, BCJ! I don't know why, but when I read of your accomplishment, I had a vision of the characters in Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 where they had novels and books committed to memory. Instead of one book, you would have all 700 in memory!

Your accomplishment is impressive. Most impressive. I'm lucky if I can read the tag in my shirt. :(

700. That's quite a list!

OC47150
02-18-2008, 08:32 PM
It is an accomplishment. Congrats!

JimJamBonds
02-25-2008, 08:39 PM
About two weeks ago I finished Blood and Whiskey: The Life and Times of Jack Daniel. It was pretty good, but then again I like drinking Jack (along with Gentleman Jack and Single Barrel) and I also work for a company that distributes Jack.

CaptainSolo1138
02-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Still reading Moneyball. The only time I ever read is whilst dumping, so these things take a while.

JimJamBonds
02-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Still reading Moneyball. The only time I ever read is whilst dumping, so these things take a while.

Some fiber should speed things up.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Paper's made of fiber, right? Read a page, eat a page. Talk about digesting a book. Seriously; talk about it. But not with food (i.e. book pages) in your mouth. It's rude.

DarthQuack
02-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Still on Duma Key, about 230 pages into it, a little different..but still good Stephen King.

El Chuxter
02-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Reading the Bible (complete with Apocrypha and a ton of notes) cover to cover for the first time. I've tried before and failed.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Reading the Bible (complete with Apocrypha and a ton of notes) cover to cover for the first time. I've tried before and failed.I started that same thing in '94. Got to somewhere around Kings, I think, but stalled at that point. :(

El Chuxter
02-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Funny, when I tried before (around 1999), I got to Kings or Chronicles and lost steam myself.

The thing that makes it hard is that so much of it I've read so many times that it gets tough to read those parts again. And then there's the geneologies coming up in Numbers. Not looking forward to those.

Rocketboy
02-29-2008, 10:51 AM
BIBLICAL SPOILER ALERT!

Jesus dies then comes back as a zombie then disappears!

END BIBLICAL SPOILER ALERT!

OC47150
03-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Finished Licensed Renewed. Took me longer than I thought.

Started Lone Survivor, about a Navy SEAL team in Afghanistan. The author was the only survivor of a ambush/battle. The team's leader was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Still waiting to get Death Star from the library. It's always checked out!!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-17-2008, 09:34 PM
I read a book. Hooray! It was the penultimate one in the Legacy SW series, Revelation. I was actually interested in its ending, but I guess I'll really have to wait until the last one, Invincible, in a few months.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Teacher Man by Frank McCourt (of Angela's Ashes fame). This was a discount book, and as a teacher, I thought it'd be good for me. On the back cover, there were reviews saying this should be required reading for all teachers, English teachers would love it, etc. Well, it was depressing at times, somewhat inspiring (if you have autonomy in lesson planning and subject matter), and often odd. Can't honestly recommend it, but nor can I say to avoid it. Weird book.

I have no books in the hopper right now, as I am taking a reading break for a little while (spring break this week, then seven straight no-days-off weeks).

DarthQuack
03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Currently reading Tatooine Ghost so far not a bad read about 80 pages in....liking the plot so far.

parana
03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
:thumbsup:I, Jedi by Stackpole. So far not as good as his X-wing series or Grand Crusade, When Dragons Rage Series. The Grand Crusade series was a fantasy novel but it had everything, although I must admit I wasn't happy with a certain part of the ending but the other 95% of the series was fantastic. Those are two of the titles of the series (four all together) Ican't remember the actually series name. X-wing was my favorite of the Star wars books but I think he could have done them better if he would have wrote them lik he did that series. Next book I am going to start is Born Queen by Greg Keyes, the 4th book in the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series. I highly recommend it!:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Fatherhood by Bill Cosby. I wanted something short (under 180 pages, check), something funny (was basically all the family-related jokes from his "Himself" routine, which is hilarious, check), and by someone familiar (my favorite all-time comedian, check). It did the trick.

Rocketboy
03-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Just finished up Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Its a book I've tried to read twice before and never got past the first chapter (the futuristic military language used always took me out of it), but gave it another try and stuck with it. Quite different that the movie (but I knew that going in), but still a pretty good read. I'm glad I finally read it.

Now I need to find something else to read. If I can't decide on something I haven't read yet, I'm leaning toward re-reading Michael Chabon's Summerland or Kavalier and Clay, both great books.

OC47150
04-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Finished Lone Survivor over the weekend. It was a good bok. I recommend it.

As a break, I started one of Jude Watson's SW books, Deceptions. Good so far.

I'm on the reserve list for Death Star at the library.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Anyone ever read Greg Iles? Recently finished 3 of his books and am now on a fourth. They are fantastic murder mystery type books.

Blood Memory
Turning Angel
True Evil - my favorite (it's about experimenting with injecting cancer into people to murder them without a trace)
Third Degree

Finished up the latest SW Legacy book too, now patiently (not really) waiting for the last book in June...damn that's a long time!

Death Star is one of the best SW books I've ever read! Hope you enjoy it OC :yes:

OC47150
04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Anyone ever read Greg Iles? Recently finished 3 of his books and am now on a fourth. They are fantastic murder mystery type books.

Blood Memory
Turning Angel
True Evil - my favorite
Third Degree
:

Yes, I read Iles's first two books, Spandau Phoenix and Black Cross, but none of his others. The first two had WWII-ties, and WWII is a hobby of mine.

OC47150
04-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Finished Deception.

I really like how Watson weaves in characters from other books into different stories. The Jedi Garen in Last of the Jedi makes an appearance in Deception, and the Xanatos character from the Qui Gon and Obi Wan books pops up everywhere.

I might pick up the latest Republic Commando book, or another Watson book. Haven't decided yet.

Jargo
04-09-2008, 10:15 PM
just started Terry Pratchett's Monstrous regiment. for some reson I've been reading the later discworld books out of order. I've yet to buy Making money and I've read all the rest besides MR and The last hero. Just finished Night watch after several abortive attempts.
Mr. Pratchett has got a little sour and dour in recent books. there's still fantastic dialogue and wit but his waffling's seem a bit jaded. There again he's been diagnosed with Althzheimers so I'm not surprised he's been a bit grumpy of recent years.
He says he'll carry on writing even when it's just dictation. he didn't say if his writing included anymore Discworld novels though.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-12-2008, 09:19 AM
After about 5 or 6 months of a couple pages every few weeks, I got through Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force. This was similar to the Illustrated SW Univ. where they writer weaves facts into a diary style narrative. This one was pretty good; the Afterword was a bit of a surprise, too.

To get into the mood of the current MLB season, I just started Juiced: With A Bunch of Other Subtitles in the Rest of this Should've-Been-Short-One-Word Title. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
04-13-2008, 09:33 AM
As with most autobiographies that are defensive and written to address issues against the writer, Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits & How Baseball Got Big "written by" Jose Canseco was open and "honest" at times, while contradictory and biased at others. A sad commentary on sports, that the illusion we fans have (or have lost, perhaps never even had at all) about the honest play and fair competition is gone, dead, buried, and obituary-ed. :( Not well written, but not a piece of junk either. I have no desire to read his sequel. I'm looking to check out a bio on Honus Wagner; that time of baseball (was it hyphenated back then? or two words?) was free of corruption... unless you count intentional spiking, racism and discrimination, poor treatment of women, spitballs, alcoholism, low wages,... wait a minute! :upset:

DarthQuack
04-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Finished Tatooine Ghost, now a re-read from a couple years ago, Jedi Search.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Finished Tatooine Ghost, now a re-read from a couple years ago, Jedi Search.

I remember reading that book when I had to go drive into the depths of Los Angeles to go take a test for the Probation Dept. I had that book with me, THANK THE MAKER, because there was much "down" time!

pegger
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I just read Dath Bane - The rule of two.

meh.

OC47150
04-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Just meh, huh?

I checked out Death Star from the library!!!! :grin: Going to start it tonight.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-14-2008, 09:05 PM
The first of the Darth Banes was the better of the two, IMHO, but they're pretty decent. You'll like Death Star, I hope.

pegger
04-14-2008, 09:40 PM
The first of the Darth Banes was the better of the two, IMHO, but they're pretty decent. You'll like Death Star, I hope.

It wasn't bad....it was just meh.

parana
04-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I finished "I, Jedi" by Stackpole. Which was really two novels in one, I enjoyed the second half much more than the first. Still, I have to say it was the least like for me of everything that he has written that I have read. Then I did a quick read of "Men of Iron" by Howard Pyle (256 pages long) about the middle ages in England. The movie "The Black Shield of Falworth" was based on it. I have to say the movie was better. I decided to start "Wraith of A Mad God" by Raymond E. Feist before "Born Queen" by Gregory Keyes.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
What I thought was a biography of Honus Wagner turned out to be technically an autobiography. Honus Wagner, edited by William R. Cobb (I think he is related to that obscure Ty guy :D ) was a collection of articles from a newspaper after Wagner had retired. His musings on all-time great baseball players, ways to learn the sport, memories of his playing days (amatuer, major and minor leagues, coaching, etc.). Decent book, short chapters, nice guy.

DarthQuack
05-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Just finished The Jedi Academy Trilogy, which was a great series, a re-read for me, hadn't read it in a few years, now still going in chronological order onto I, Jedi, which doesn't look long when you pick it up, but it's 577 pages...should be a good read.

OC47150
05-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Finished Death Star, which IMO, is one of best written SW novels I've ever read. Great character development. You don't come across that much in a SW novel.

JimJamBonds
06-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Today I finished reading: Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends. Its the story of Wild Bill Guarnere and Babe Heffron, who were members of E Company, Second Batallion, 506 P.I.R. 101st Division. aka two members of the 'Band of Brothers.' All in all its not all that different from the other books out there on the Easy company guys, since those two are the focus you hear some interesting stories about them that you don't get elsewhere.

OC47150
06-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Today I finished reading: Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends. Its the story of Wild Bill Guarnere and Babe Heffron, who were members of E Company, Second Batallion, 506 P.I.R. 101st Division. aka two members of the 'Band of Brothers.' All in all its not all that different from the other books out there on the Easy company guys, since those two are the focus you hear some interesting stories about them that you don't get elsewhere.

I'll have to look for that one.

I finished Last of the Jedi #10 yesterday. Great end to a great series.

I'm re-reading the novelization of Raiders of the Lost Ark; first read it when ROTLA came out. It's nice to revisit Indy after seeing Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

JimJamBonds
06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
There is also a book out on/by Buck Compton and also one on Donald Malarkey. There already has been two books on Winters and David Keynon Webster wrote a book in the 60's or 70's.... its quite dry, I have yet to get through it.

OC47150
06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
I read Band of Brothers long before it was turned into the mini-series.

A lot of books have come out from Easy Company vets since the show first aired. I'll have to see what the library has.

Blue2th
06-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I've been reading my GI Joe 2-pk comics I just opened recently. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-03-2008, 09:38 PM
I have now only 2 books going, finished Naming the World by editor Bret Anthony Johnston. Great book for creative writing skills. Only have to get through the junior novelization of Raiders of the Lost Ark (plus the other two films, but not yet) and the Intellectual Devotional: American History.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2008, 09:16 AM
How have I missed all the cool young adult work that Ryder Windham [sp?] done? He wrote the junior version of Raiders, with the revisionist history title of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, which is basically a cleaned-up scene-by-scene adaptation of the film. Not bad; even added a few details (Cpt. Katanga's first name, name of the U-boat, brief summary of Indy's periscope sub ride, etc.). Have the other 2 films in the same collection left to go, but I'm about 50 pages into the Making of IJ book, which is quite facinating. :thumbsup:

BTW, this recent book was #708 all time, but I plan to be more of a writer this summer than reader, so my persoanl record of 34 books read last summer is safe for the moment (someone else feel free to blow me out of the water).

Bel-Cam Jos
06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
I am almost done with my Indiana Jones kick of books, finishing the young adult novelizations of the last two films. All innuendo between the relationship Elsa had with both Henrys is gone, all profanity is either ignored or covered up, but there has been some nice background info (Prologue to temple of Doom, has Indy waiting to speak with his father until he gets a letter from Shanghai about a diamond, other unseen scenes). Next and last on my list is the Crystal Skull novel (here's to waiting in lines at airports! ).

JimJamBonds
06-23-2008, 08:50 PM
On Friday I finished reading 1945. Its an alt. history book on what if Japan didn't give up in August of 1945 and the war continues. It was pretty interesting and quick read. Today I got a book called Operation: Downfall, which was the code name for the invasion plans of Japan in November 1945 and March 1946.

OC47150
06-24-2008, 06:56 AM
I've read Downfall. You'll enjoy it.

I'm reading the latest Jack Higgins novel now.

JimJamBonds
06-24-2008, 10:26 PM
I've read Downfall. You'll enjoy it.

I've read the outline of the invasion in the past, the sheer number of soldiers, sailors and Marines that would have been involved is mind blowing.

OC47150
06-25-2008, 06:59 AM
What I remember about the invasion plans (and it's not necessarily from Downfall) that all the airborne units that were in Europe were going to be shipped to the Pacific for the invasion, and the number of casualities.

JimJamBonds
06-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Yup thats right about the airborne. In the end I think something like 80% of ALL servicemen would have been sent to Japan.

OC47150
06-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Yup thats right about the airborne. In the end I think something like 80% of ALL servicemen would have been sent to Japan.

I think it was in Band of Brothers, the book, that some of the guys had their orders for the Pacific when the bomb was dropped.

After reading Downfall, you can't blame Truman for dropping the bomb. The number of dead if the invasion occurred was staggering, in the millions on both sides.

WWII magazine did a cover story several years ago about the invasion of Japan.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2008, 10:28 AM
On a brief almost-week vacation, I had a chance to read a few...

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by James Rollins. Pretty good, although I felt like Indy was being characterized more like Han Solo (yes, I know Ford played them both, but there is a difference between their traits and habits), down to some lines (calling women "sister" ). It included some scenes cut/dismissed from the film (I knew this from reading the Making of IJ book). I liked it.

The Mind at Work by Mike Rose. I bought this for a buck, and I am not sure if I was cheated or not. I thought a research-based book about how manual labor jobs are underappreciated or dismissed. It was fairly simplistic and not as personal as it started out to be. Sadly, some of the quotes or endnotes were the most interesting parts.

Coruscant Nights I:Jedi Twilight by Michael Reaves. I'll wait on commenting (see the seperate thread here) on this one for a while.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2008, 01:35 PM
A friend loaned me his copy of Light Over the Mountain: A History of the Rancho Cucamonga Area to read, a local history review of my home base. For most of you, it'd probably have no impact, except to confirm that "Rancho Cucamonga" is in fact a real place. :D :localsonly:

TeeEye7
07-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Any mention of chimpanzees on the loose in that book? ;)

Moe used to reside in my county....

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Any mention of chimpanzees on the loose in that book? ;)

Moe used to reside in my county....Yes. Mr. Teeny was the name of a former boxer-bartender-college-student-plagiarizing-poet-child-TV-and-soap-opera-star saloon owner, who bought and sold primates on the black market.

DarthQuack
07-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Still on I, Jedi....idk why but it's taking me way too long to finish this one :-\

OC47150
07-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Finished the Jack Higgins novel. I thought the ending was a little too similar to a previous book. But still enjoyed it.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Finished a short Bill Cosby compilation of essays and short stories called Cosbyology. I like his style; he's my favorite comedian of all time, and he's as good a story teller as joke teller.

Interesting detail; so far, of the eigth books I've read so far this summer (average about 250 pages per book) have been written by author last names with only three letters of the alphabet: C, R, or W. :confused:

JimJamBonds
07-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Finished reading Codename Downfall. The number of kia and wounded predicted are mind blowing. I'm back to reading 1421: The Year China Discovered America. Hopefully I'll actually finish the darn thing.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Our area is having another The Big Read program this year (it's when a community, often set up through the local library, reads the same book and has some activities associated with the characters/author/plot/etc.), and they've chosen Dahiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon. Since I hadn't even seen the film (do plan to now, though), I didn't really know how it ends (and films sometimes change the plot or details of the novels anyway). Not bad; I've never really found detective stories all that great (there have been a few that were okay). Certainly is a "period piece," as all the male chauvinism, domestic violence, and subtle racist/stereotypical comments wouldn't do so well in today's climate.

parana
07-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Went back to the Riftwar with "Murder at LaMut" and "Jimmy the Hand" by Raymond E. Feist, I recommend these for anyone who enjoyed Feist earlier work about the Riftwar and the Serpent War. I just finished "Deathstar" by Reaves and Perry and they have done it again as they did in the Medstar novels, produce a fantasic star wars novel. I would say "Deathstar" is now an essential novel in the star war saga because of the way they blend it with book 1. If you haven't read it yet, go buy it or check it out at your library, you won't be sorry!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-15-2008, 09:31 AM
I finished What I Really Want to Do on Set in Hollywood by a person, which isn't really what I want to do with my life, but I did find it facinating to learn all the specifity involved in the "glamour" of Tinseltown. I found four editorial errors: a missing space that should've been in between two words, an affect/effect misplacement, a period instead of a question mark, and one awkward sentence. :nitpicking: :D But I will say this; for someone looking to begin a career in movie making, this is an excellent and realistic resource to do so. Good job, author of this book! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Read another of Dashiell Hammett's detective novels, The Thin Man, apparently his best work. It wasn't bad, but I am not a big fan of the last chapter listing all the info I need; why not just read that one first, then? It's just not my style of writing, I guess.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I'd read the movie novelization of IJ & Last Crusade several years ago, but never the other two films. Well, no longer a true statement. Campbell Black wrote Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (as it's now titled) and James Kahn penned IJ & Temple of Doom. Both were short (less than 200 pages each), and added a few new scenes, such as (Raiders) two in Berlin, Indy with a college girl, Indy tied to the U-boat periscope, Indy driving a loaned car to Marion's bar, and (Temple) Short Round's drive to the club, Indy returning to the palace with Willie after drinking the Kali blood (:confused: ), etc. Also, several scenes from the films were significantly shortened or less detailed. But all in all, good reads. I think that ends the Indiana Jones kick for me for the summer. Maybe.

JimJamBonds
07-22-2008, 06:06 PM
I finished A Matter of Honor a few days ago. Its a story about a young officer during the American Revolution.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-24-2008, 02:39 PM
A short teacher book, Breaking (into) the Circle by Hephzibah Roskelly (hey, another 'R' author) on group work in classrooms. Teacher books are usually somewhat dull to read, but full of helpful info, and this was another of those.

This makes 14 read so far this summer, averaging 193 pages per.

OC47150
07-24-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm reading the Hobbitt at work. Tolkien's writing style is just a little different with the Hobbitt than the LOTR. I'm really enjoying it.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Read my review (with spoilers) of Karen Traviss' SW:The Clone Wars novelization, if you wish, in that thread here.

Found a short book called The Lighter Side of the Dark Ages by Rose Williams (another 'W' author... with an 'R' first name; I've read 5 'R' authors and 3 'Ws' so far this summer). It wasn't as "funny" as I thought the title alluded to, but it was somewhat irreverent in its coverage of European rulers and wars and and politics and religious movements from about 400-1000 A.C.E. (a.k.a. A.D.). It was okay, but would be a decent review book for going on Jeopardy! as a contestant. :D

DarthQuack
07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Still hung up on I, Jedi....but I started reading Misery by Stephen King...good book so far, about halfway done, I really enjoy it.

OC47150
07-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I couldn't find anything to read the other night so I grabbed Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice #5. I plan to start #6 tonight. I find these books are a nice break from heavier reading material.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Read two heavies, not due to page length (both about 200-300 each), but content.

Viktor Frankl's Man's Search For Ultimate Meaning. It was full of psychological jargon and source material; not as "metaphysical" or full of life lessons as I'd figured.

Thomas Leech's Say it Like Shakepeare. Having seen the thread here at SSG on "Fakespeare," I thought this book'd be fun, after seeing it on the shelf at the library. It is for business meeting speaking. You are supposed to use the quotes from Shakespeare's plays and sonnets to sound good. I mean, well. ;)

In looking for some sources for a summer presentation, I checked out a biography on Robert E. Lee (which I may or may not read in its entirety) from Penguin Books. On the receipt, it came out as "Robert E. Lee: a penguin life." Funny, that. :D

OC47150
08-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I started the latest Republic Commando pb.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2008, 10:03 PM
I started the latest Republic Commando pb.Did you find Order 66 already?

JimJamBonds
08-03-2008, 03:39 AM
I finally finished 1421 The Year China Discovered America. I started it years ago and for whatever reason I stopped reading it. I found it quite interesting although not everybody in academia seems to agree with what the author has to say.

OC47150
08-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Did you find Order 66 already?

Sorry to get you so excited, Bel-Cam, but no. It's the third paperback. Yellowish cover.

I'm enjoying it so far.

dr_evazan22
08-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Did you find Order 66 already?

B+N website says it will be available Sept 16.

DarthQuack
08-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Finished Misery in about 3 days....really enjoyed it, wanna check out the movie next....onto Firestarter, also by Stephen King.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2008, 01:59 PM
B+N website says it will be available Sept 16.Didn't realize this was a hardcover, as well. Might be tough to read these (read: check them out from the library, if my library will even carry them).

BTW, I tried to donate a barely-touched Darth Bane: Rule of Two (I'm a careful reader) to my library because I finally broke down and bought it (coupons and %s off helped) after about two months of not getting their own copy to check out. They apparently put it in the sell-for-a-buck part of the library. :mad: If I'd known that (and no, it was gone before I could "buy it back" :upset: ), I'd have just kept it. That's why I'm hesitant to do so with Invincible or the CW novel again. :(

OC47150
08-03-2008, 06:41 PM
B+N website says it will be available Sept 16.

I can't wait.

I can see where the events in RC: True Colors (hey, I remembered the title for once!!) are setting things up for Order 66.

For some reason, I'm finding True Colors better written or coherent than Triple Zero. I like Traviss as a writer, but I think she tried to cram too many plot lines into Triple Zero and it just didn't work.

True Colors is a nice change of pace. I'd been reading a lot of Jude Watson's young reader books. I find those very enjoyable. Reading the Jedi Apprentice series now. I'm taking a one-day road trip next weekend so I'll be taking one with me.

JimJamBonds
08-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I crossed another one off of the "started yet for whatever reason never finished list" last night when I completed "Onward We Charge: The Heroic Story of Darby's Rangers in World War II." Now if I could ever get around to finishing The Journals of Lewis and Clark (I have about 4 volumes to go) and The Odyssey.....

Bel-Cam Jos
08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Finished a weird, weird novel, The Witch of Portobello, by Paulo Coelho (author of The Alchemist, a novel on my top ten list of all time). Written from the points of view of various characters (kind of like As I Lay Dying by Faulkner or KIngsolver's The Poisonwood Bible), it was just odd. I didn't dislike it, but could've really get into it (was a bit of a "twist" near the end, but not exactly). Might just read one more book, to give me an even 20 for the summer... but that's close to what I said last year and ended with 34.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Might just read one more book, to give me an even 20 for the summer... but that's close to what I said last year and ended with 34.I'd forgotten I still had checked out A Lesson Before Dying, by Ernest Gaines. This was a good one, tough to read because of the stubbornness of the characters. Kind of like what The Green Mile would be if you took out the mysticism and "magic," or similar to Dead Man Walking.

And, what would be an appropriate last book if it ends up that way, was Travels With Charley, Steinbeck's narrative of his drive around the country with his poodle. I haven't smiled while reading in a long time. I finished this one today, in the air conditioning of a local library. If I get off my butt and write my OWN novel, :rolleyes: this one can serve as an inspiration. But that makes 21 read, anyway.

OC47150
08-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Read Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice #8 yesterday. Nicely written, fast-paced.

DarthQuack
08-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Finished Firestarter last night, and actually enjoyed it a lot, the ending could have been a little better, but what can you do...saw that the movie was on too so I DVRed that for a viewing soon.

Onto 'Salem's Lot.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Finished the last (hooray! ) of the Legacy novels, Invincible, by Troy Denning. Check the "Not happy with the... EU" thread for some spoilers, if you wish.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2008, 09:32 AM
With the return to teaching tomorrow, my summer officially ends today, and therefore my summer reading comes to a close (a metaphor for books, BTW :pleased: ). I saw a clip from "Baseball's Golden Age," or something on FOX sports, and Ray Robinson, the author of Iron Horse, a bio of Lou Gehrig, read a passage from that book (until Alec Baldwin took over the voice work, that is), so it inspired me to locate a copy. It was both refreshing and disheartening to read of that "better" time when athletics was (somewhat) more pure, yet filled with negatives that time has purged from being out in the open. Sad to hear of his quick collapse from ALS, too.

Final numbers: 23 books read this summer, about 5300 pages (avg. 230 per book). Last five summers: 139 books, about 36,000 pages (avg. 260 per).

"After the bo[oks] of summer have gone..."
Sigh... :(

pegger
08-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Finished Firestarter last night, and actually enjoyed it a lot, the ending could have been a little better, but what can you do...saw that the movie was on too so I DVRed that for a viewing soon.

Onto 'Salem's Lot.

I loved 'Salem's Lot. Pet Cemetery was really good too - in fact, it's my favorite S. King book.

OC47150
08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Finished the CW novelization. I'll post my comments in the proper forum.

OC47150
09-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Finished Republic Commando: True Colors. I enjoyed it and can't wait for the next book.

But I'm going to take a break from the SW universe. Gonna read about the Big Red One on D-Day, starting tonight.

OC47150
09-30-2008, 07:31 PM
The remnants of Ike blew threw my area the other week. I was without power for 5 days and off work for four, so I read!

Read the Fighting First, about the First Infantry Division in WWII with a focus on Omaha Beach. Very good book.

Once I finished that one, I started D-Day by Gilbert. It was like a D-day lite book. It was enjoyable, but I wish the author would've went more into detail on some facts, but I can look into some of those on my own.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-07-2008, 11:38 PM
I "read" the video game-based The Force Unleashed, meaning I used my eyes to decipher the meanings of those words printed on its pages. That is all I will speak of it.

Since our area is reading The Maltese Falcon for the Big Read program, they're also starting the nation's first Little Read with children's stories. So, I read a very short, and extremely painful pun-filled book called The Malted Falcon, following the exploits of Chet Gecko, an elementary school lizard detective. Kind of funny.

Ando
10-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Has anyone picked up and read Order 66 yet?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Has anyone picked up and read Order 66 yet?None of the liberries here has done got it yet, so's nope. But I'ma lookin' out fer it.

jjreason
10-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Finished the highly touted Cormac McCarthy book "The Road" today. Dismal. Oddly compelling, but you're only reading towards the relief of finally being done the book. Can't say as this has ever happened to me before.

JimJamBonds
10-28-2008, 05:31 PM
I finished reading So Sad To Fall In Battle: An Account of War Based on General Tadamichi Kuribayashi's Letters from Iwo Jima a few days ago. It was an intersting take on Kuribayshi who drove his men hard trying to prepare for the American's yet at the same time wrote letters home telling his wife how to take care of a draft in their kitchen. It really speaks for the duality of man!

Ando
10-28-2008, 05:59 PM
I ordered 4 of the Post Secret books from Amazon for my wife for Christmas and they just arrived today. Some very heartbreaking entries.

Is anyone not familiar with this? www.postsecret.com (http://www.postsecret.com). People mail their secrets to an address and someone posts them online (and subsequently publishes them into books).

OC47150
10-31-2008, 11:09 AM
I finished Jack Higgins' latest book, Rough Justice, and Sebastain Faulk's James Bond novel, Devil May Care.

Rough Justice was good. Higgins introduced a new character who will make a good addition to the series.

DMC was a little disappointing. Faulk was commissioned to write a Bond novel for Ian Fleming's 100th birthday, and he attempted to write it like Fleming. The book picked up after the last of Fleming's books, and was set in the late 1960s. It came across more like a series Austin Powers than Bond. Glad I didn't buy it, but glad I finally read it.

OC47150
11-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Darth Bane: Rule of Two is out in paperback.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Has anyone picked up and read Order 66 yet?Yep. Check out the O66 thread for comments.

I also just finished the MF novel. What? It sounded like I said what? Oh, it's titled Millennium Falcon. :rolleyes: That makes 736 total novels on my lifetime list, with exactly 500 as non-SW books. It seems all I have time to read lately are EU ones, but I have a couple on the shelves to get to, once I have longer time off from school.

JimJamBonds
12-18-2008, 09:53 PM
I just finished reading "Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's 'Band of Brothers" by Sgt. Don Malarkey. Nothing all that new per say compared to the other BoB books out there, I'm happy to have read it, I know Buck Compton has a book that I'd like to read as well.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I read a book. A book that didn't have anything to do with Star Wars. Wow. Only took two months to finish. It was 239 pages long. I am embarassed by several of those details. It was Dandelion Wine by noted sci-fi writer Ray Bradbury, but this was a wonderfully nostalgic look at the Midwest of the US in 1928. Sad at times, fun at times, thoughtful at times, confusing at times; I enjoyed it throughout. Ironically, all my other responsibilities made it tough to read a short book about the freedom a boy has over the summertime.

Now, my pile of other books can perhaps get smaller, as my have-read list gets longer.

OC47150
12-23-2008, 07:24 PM
I started reading CW: Wild Space. It's pretty good so far.

Rocketboy
12-23-2008, 08:26 PM
So far, I've read a total of 22 books this year.
Some long, some sort, some graphic novels.

15 Novels
3 Shorter "teen" novels.
3 Comic Collections/Graphic Novels
1 Non-fiction/reference (I guess)

I may be able to squeeze in another one or two shorter books before the new year, but it'll depend on their length. I know I'm getting one novel and 4 comic/graphic novels for Christmas.

Old Fossil
12-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Currently I'm reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. It is my mother-in-law's copy. I picked it up a month ago, read the prologue, and was hooked. I think it's an Oprah book club pick, but no matter. A mute boy, dogs, a wicked uncle... good stuff.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Finished the very short (even with wide margins, too) Harry Potter "book" The Tales of Beedle the Bard, which I had transposed "the" and "Beedle" before (thought it was "... of the Beedle Bard" by mistake). It's okay, but far below my reading level (but does have some "big" words; kids, break out that dictionary) with some good morals and lessons for younger readers.

Ah, time off for reading... :pleased:

TeeEye7
12-26-2008, 10:18 AM
For Christmas yesterday, I received the following WWII-era book from my son:

Darwin's War
Science, Politics, Warfare, Faith and Sacrifices: The 416th Bomb Group's Sacrifices to Defeat Eugenics

by L.N. Smith, MD
(his father was a member of the 416th as was my uncle).

*Whew!* The title is almost as long as the book....546 pages! I've barely made progress in it, as we had family at the house yesterday and will experience an even greater onslaught of holiday well-wishing relatives tomorrow. I hope to get a few minutes' reading in today, though :crossedfingers:.

sith_killer_99
12-26-2008, 10:44 AM
I am currently reading "Do The Right Thing" by Mike Huckabee.

I picked it up a month ago, during one of his book signings, got my autographed copy for 40% below cover price!:thumbsup:

I started in, but had to take a break, just now picking it back up.

TeeEye7
12-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Just received a late Christmas gift:

Air Support for Patton's Third Army by John J. Sullivan. It's about the 9th Tactical Air Force which was tasked with keeping up with Patton's advance to Germany. It's another book I've wanted to help enlighten me about the 9th Air force in general, and the 416th Bomb Group in particular. It should be a fast read: less than 200 pages.

BTW, I'm just over 100 pages into Darwin's War. Not bad considering my house is currently overrun with relatives of every age.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-29-2008, 09:45 AM
BTW, I'm just over 100 pages into Darwin's War. Not bad considering my house is currently overrun with relatives of every age.I've found the gaps in conversations, bathroom breaks, luggage packing, etc. that allow for a brief chapter read here-and-there, as well. I've read about 150 pages of CW: Wild Space and 50 pages of the Art & Making of TFU with my uncle here this past week.

DarkArtist
12-29-2008, 02:45 PM
currently reading the Clone Wars novel have about 40 pages left. going to read Millennium Falcon next or either Darth Bane: Rule of Two or Corscant Night : Street of Shadows, or the 2nd Republic Commando book. haven't decided yet.

pbarnard
12-29-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm going to read the Republic Commando softcovers now. Than re-evaluate if I want to buy the Order 66 book.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-01-2009, 04:49 PM
It was short, but got through The last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I gather that the DVD might be more of an impact, moreso than the book (which was pretty good, itself). I had wanted to finish it before '08 ended, but just got tired :lameexcuse: last night (I don't really like New Year's, which as a single person who doesn't like late nights or drinking, leaves me very little else to enjoy).

Am starting Luke Skywalker & the Shadows of Mindor, which wasn't in my library's catalogue system, but on the shelf when I stopped by. After one chapter, I can't give an opinion yet. Also have the two Rebel Force youth books, so I might be able to have read 6 books over this winter break (unless I actually grade the papers I need to get to :rolleyes: ).

jedibear
01-01-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm five chapters into CW: Wild Space...

So far, pretty good. Miller reads more like Watson's "young reader" series than Traviss' more intense approach. I really liked it that it picked up immediately at the conclusion of AOTC and had some really intense character moments with the main cast.
Even as it moves on in time to post "Battle of Christopus" (sp?), it still reads well. In fact, if Asoka was portrayed in the CW series more like this book instead of so mall-bratty, I'd probably appreciate her character more (even though I still think the whole concept of Anakin having a Padawan is flawed story-wise).

I'll post my thoughts on the rest of it when I finish...

OC47150
01-01-2009, 07:08 PM
I finished CW: Wild Space. Very good.

Now back to a book about the Battle of the Bulge.

TeeEye7
01-04-2009, 02:37 AM
Just received a late Christmas gift:

Air Support for Patton's Third Army by John J. Sullivan. It's about the 9th Tactical Air Force which was tasked with keeping up with Patton's advance to Germany. It's another book I've wanted to help enlighten me about the 9th Air force in general, and the 416th Bomb Group in particular. It should be a fast read: less than 200 pages.

BTW, I'm just over 100 pages into Darwin's War. Not bad considering my house is currently overrun with relatives of every age.

Just finished. Very good insight into how critically important support groups are to ground combat units; not just air support, but supply and transportation units.

The book is a good look into the infancy of close air support of ground troops as it unfolded during the war.

If you are a WWII student in general or a Patton fan in particular, I would recommend this as a good, concise guide as to his strategies and mindset as he blazed across France and into Germany. A nice, quick read.

Now back to reading Darwin's War.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Am about 2/3 through LSatSoM, and I shall withold judment until it's done, but there's a bad sense rising. :(

But I found out that William Least Heat Moon, among my favorite all-time authors, has a new book out. Publsihed by Little Brown Books, it's at least 500-600 pages. :ironic: Can't wait to get into it; stupid life responsibilities. :frus:

TeeEye7
01-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Finished Darwin's War.

Very, very good. Probably meant more to me because I've got a vested interest in the subject of the 416th Bomb Group. I was surprised to see the author, LN Smith, mentions my uncle, William Cramsie, in a couple of lines.

I don't know what's on the menu next........:Ponder:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Am about 2/3 through LSatSoM, and I shall withold judment until it's done, but there's a bad sense rising. :(It's good that I witheld my judment, as there is no such thing, but now that I'm done, I'll render my judgment (I guess I was so intent on removing the British 'e' in the word, I spelled it the Engish :rolleyes: way by removing another letter) now.

Among the 5 worst EU books ever. Ugh.

On to better reads...

TeeEye7
01-15-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm trying to track down another book on the 416th Bomb Group during WWII. They more I read about them and their A-20 Hvocs, the more they remind me of the Rebel Alliance flying X-Wings! :yes:

TeeEye7
01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't know what's on the menu next........:Ponder:

I ordered A-20 Havoc in Action by Jim Mesko and Douglas Boston and Havoc by Scott Thompson from Amazon over the weekend. I'm going into reading withdrawal.

These are two "nuts and bolts" books on the aircraft that I've been wanting. We'll see how long it takes for them to get here.

DarthQuack
01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Almost done with Just After Sunset by Stephen King. I like it a lot, the stories are pretty interesting.

TeeEye7
01-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Received (and finished) A-20 Havoc in Action yesterday. Nice, concise guide to the genesis and development of the Havoc and Boston (the British variant). Interesting (and sad) how quickly it was scrapped after WWII. Almost none survive. Also amazing that it was such an integral part of tactical air support in every theater yet the plane is not well known at all.

DarthQuack
01-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Finally finished the King book....started and am almost finished with Artie Lange's book Too Fat to Fish. Pretty crazy stuff for anyone who's a fan of him would expect.

OC47150
01-26-2009, 07:24 PM
I started Monte Cassino, about the WWII Italy battle.

Since CW: Wild Space, I got halfway through A Time for Trumpets, about the Battle of the Bulge (had to return it to the library) and The Force Unleashed.

pbarnard
01-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Started Republic Commando True Colors. Also read my copy of C&E News for the week, Science, Nature, BioTechniques and Neuroscience.

JimJamBonds
01-29-2009, 12:24 PM
The other day I finished reading Command Of Honor: General Lucian Truscott's Path to Victory in World War II. Gen. Truscott founded the Rangers, commanded in Africa, Sicily, Italy, planned and led the invasion of Southern France (Opperation Dragoon). He took over for Patton in occupied Germany after Ike had to give him the boot. After the war Truscott worked for the CIA.

DarthQuack
01-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Re-read Tuesdays with Morrie yesterday. Felt like I needed to read something sad...not sure why. Gonna hopefully read all of The Five People you Meet in Heaven today.

TeeEye7
02-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I finished Douglas Havoc and Boston, the DB-7/A-20 series by Scott Thompson.

If this isn't the definitive study on the aircraft, I don't know what is. Thompson's work looks at the plane from drawing board to its demise. It also explains why most of us have never heard of the Havoc: the majority were scrapped in theater and never made it home. Only a few survived as surplus and then sold as such (Howard Hughes bought two from the government and converted them into executive aircraft). Less than two dozen survive worldwide in various states from mere parts to the one and only air-worthy ship.

The A-20 was a then-state of the art aircraft loved and appreciated by those who flew it. It's sad that such a veteran WWII work horse is virtually unknown given its role in the war effort (pre-European invasion, Battle of the Bulge, Pacific Theatre, etc.)

Written more for aviation historians (and pilots), the book wasn't too far over my head in places to follow. Great info, photos, and diagrams on the aircraft. It answered all of the questions I had regarding the Havoc and more!

Bel-Cam Jos
02-14-2009, 10:13 AM
I'd set a deadline to read the book I'd started BEFORE Feb. 13 (a personal anniversary date), which then became finishing it before that day ENDED. :rolleyes: Well, by 10:30pm or so, I did it. William Least-Heat Moon's most recent book Roads to Quoz: An American Mosey, all 567 pages of it, are now in my memory. I like his style (see favorite authors list to come), his wordiness (it's a good thing here), his humor (often subtle, sometimes LOL-worthy), his passion (not afraid to insert an opinion, but usually lets the other people tell the story). I love to read about places, travel, and history; he gives you that and more.

BEL-CAM JOS' TOP TEN* ALL-TIME FAVORITE AUTHORS (*it was a top ten, but then I thought some more and expanded the universe :D ):
10+. Douglass Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide series)
10+. Jude Watson (SW Jedi Quest/Apprentice/Last of... young adult series)
10+. Dante Aligheri (Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso)
10+. Donald J. Sobol (Encyclopedia Brown series)
10+. Beverly Cleary (Mouse and Motorcycle, Ramona the Brave, etc.)
10+. J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter series)
10+. Langston Hughes (Simple books, various poetry collections, etc.)
10+. Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked..., Martial Chronicles series, etc.)
10+. H.G. Wells (... Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde, Island of Dr. M., War of Worlds, etc.)
10+. Arthur C. Clarke (2001, 2010, 2061, 3001, etc.)
10. Elie Wiesel (Night, Dawn, Day/The Incident, etc.)
9. Timothy Zahn (SW Thrawn trilogy, Death Star, Icarus Hunt, etc.)
8. Jules Verne (To Moon and Back, 20,000 Leagues..., ... Weeks in a Balloon, etc.)
7. Paulo Coelho (Alchemist, ... Down By the River Pieda..., /I] etc.)
6. J.R.R. Tolkien (LOTR books, Roverandom, etc.)
5. Mark Twain ([I]Adv. of Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn, Conn. Yankee..., Puddin'head Wilson, etc.)
4. Joseph Campbell (Masks of God series, Hero of 1000 Faces, etc. ... duh :rolleyes: )
3. Dave Barry (... Turns 40/50, Only Travel Guide..., Peter [Pan] and the..., etc.)
2. William Least-Heat Moon (Blue Highways, River Horse, etc.)
1. John Steinbeck (Grapes of Wrath, Wayward Bus, Travels with Charley, Cannery Row, etc.)

I'm sure I've forgotten someone; memory's not too fresh yet this morning.

TeeEye7
02-16-2009, 10:49 PM
From Amazon: ordered Wreaking Havoc: A Year In An A-20 by Joseph Rutter. This is about Rutter's experiences flying A-20s in the Pacific Theater. Since I've read so much about the A-20s in the European Theater, I thought it was only fair to give the other half equal time! ;)

A-20s in the Pacific employed low-level flying tactics which were hugely successful in their results. Looks like a good read: Amazon allowed a peek and the first five pages or so.

The book should be here by early next week.

TeeEye7
02-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Just turned the final page on Wreaking Havoc a few minutes ago.

The book is more of a personal memoir reflecting the times rather than a war novel. I enjoyed it. Very eerie as the author, Joseph Rutter, was involved in the same action in New Guinea and the Philippines at the very same time as was my dad, who was in the Navy. Strange to think that perhaps Rutter was overhead providing support while my dad was landing troops and/or material in his LCT! Many, many dates coincided with Rutter's accounts and my dad's newly discovered WWII "diary", recently brought to my attention by my oldest brother. (I'm now researching a many dates and places in my dad's very, very brief and inclomplere "diary"....it's more of a list, BCJ! ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
As R. Kelly once sang: "I don't see nuthin' wrong, with a little [list making]." :lipsrsealed:

Am halfway through the third Coruscant Nights book, and I want to finish it; stupid [but appreciative of simply having it] work!

OC47150
03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Finished Storm Warning, an older Jack Higgins novel, and started The Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Got through what becomes my airplane book (my 747th on my have-read list), House and Philosophy. I little technical at times, but hey, it's about a technical subject (medicine meets old time philosophers with a dash of present day life thrown in). I liked it, as I have those others in the "... and Philosophy" series books (I've read SW and the Simpsons for sure, perhaps one other). Doubt I'll get to any other reading until next week's spring break.

JimJamBonds
03-15-2009, 11:14 AM
I've already returned it so I don't exactly remember the title but I finished Lt. Lynn 'Buck' Compton's book. Buck was in Easy company aka Band of Brothers during WWII. His post war story is more interesting then most. He was on the LAPD, a detective, lawyer and finally a judge.

TeeEye7
03-21-2009, 06:49 PM
I've already returned it so I don't exactly remember the title but I finished Lt. Lynn 'Buck' Compton's book. Buck was in Easy company aka Band of Brothers during WWII. His post war story is more interesting then most. He was on the LAPD, a detective, lawyer and finally a judge.

That looks pretty good JJB. I'm going to check it out. I've attached a photo of the cover.

I just finished 9th Air Force: American Tactical Aviation in the ETO 1942-1945 by Gregory Pons that I picked up from Amazon. This was a very pleasant surprise. It's almost a coffe table-sized book. It's actually a publication of photos and memorabilia from various contributors who fought in various groups within the 9th AF. Tons, and tons of photos interlaced with written history with a couple of diaries thrown in. Wonderful collections of nose art. The book goes into great detail as to uniforms and equipment worn/used by pilots and ground crew alike. An extremely good resource for that subject.

The only downside for me is that it concentrates heavily on B-26 Marauder bomb groups, and P-47 Thunderbolt fighter groups. All other aircraft are virtually ignored such as A-26s, A-20s, P-51s, P-38s, etc. (obviously, I was looking for more info on A-20s). It does, however have a short, but extremely interesting chapter on the C-47s and their contributions. This disappointment for me is minor, though. If you are interested in the beginnings of US tactical air power as employed during WWII, I would highly recommend this book; especially as a visual guide.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Finished a very facinating SW "reference" book, The Secret History of SW, by Michael Kaminski. It was a structured, researched compilation of interviews and script analysis of George Lucas and the other writers and media people. Lots of typos and printin gerrors (just like the one I've left here :p ) throughout, but quite interesting. It portrays Lucas as a pitible reclusive power-hungry manipulator (maybe a tad harsh on my part, as I don't think it's that way myself) of the truth. Long (almost 600 pages including the endnotes and Appendices) but good. Not authorized through LucasBooks, obviously.

mtriv73
03-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm on book 6 of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. The series True Blood on HBO last year was based on book 1 and parts of 2. They're entertaining quick reads that give a great southern spin on the classic vampire tale.

DarthQuack
03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Finally finished I, Jedi.....now onto Children of the Jedi!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-29-2009, 09:04 AM
.....now onto Children of the Jedi!And to quote Obi-Wan: "I am so sorry..." :rolleyes:

OC47150
03-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Read A Fine Night for Dying by Jack Higgins. It was a good, fast read.

Now I'm reading Goldfinger!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-11-2009, 10:00 AM
After finishing the SW Outcast novel, I started a book I bought A) because it was a Buy-One-Get-Another-At-50% purchase, and B) the title jumped out at me. It's taken almost half the 300+ pages to get somewhat interesting, but the critics' comments on the cover are in NO WAY NEAR the way I'd describe the story or style. Will post more when I'm done (no telling when that will be... :( ).

OC47150
04-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Finished Goldfinger and moved on to Day of the Jackal.

I can't remember if I've read Goldfinger before or not. (I read most of the Fleming Bond novels in junior high.) The movie's basic principle is still the same (robbing Fort Knox) but the process and some of the characters involved are different, expanded on and shortened.

Slicker
04-12-2009, 06:32 AM
I was on watch at the female barracks today (giggity, giggity, goo...) and these two girls started to talk with me because I was reading a book (Hitler's War) and they actually didn't start off with the typical, uneducated response of "are you a Nazi?". So long story short this girl gave me a book called "Change of Heart" to read. I'll give it a shot I suppose.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-13-2009, 06:45 PM
While I cannot place it on my All-Time Top (Bottom?) 10 Worst Books I've Read list (LISTS... ), the book I most recently finished, An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England by Brock Clarke, was terrible. I was sucked in by its title and the multiple reviews and critics' comments on the cover saying how funny and hilarious is it. I smiled several times, but I can't refer to it as "funny" at all. There are few books that I say that I was worse off by reading them, and this is one. It was well-written, and I virtually never leave a book unread even if I dislike it, but I found little to enjoy, content-wise.

You know a book's bad, when the best part is the "interview" between the author and his protagonist at the back. Ugh.

HanSololol
04-13-2009, 08:59 PM
I was on watch at the female barracks today (giggity, giggity, goo...) and these two girls started to talk with me because I was reading a book (Hitler's War) and they actually didn't start off with the typical, uneducated response of "are you a Nazi?". So long story short this girl gave me a book called "Change of Heart" to read. I'll give it a shot I suppose.

what "SLICK" are u a nazi LOL

pbarnard
04-14-2009, 12:20 PM
AT work, been reading Capillary Eelectrophoresis Methods & Protocols from the "popular" series Methods in Molecular Biology. Real page turner.

Home, Reading "The Last Command" by Timothy Zahn.

bigbarada
04-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Just started reading Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell.

DarthQuack
04-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Halfway done with Children of the Jedi and is the author GOD AWFUL.....it is so hard to get through this book.

Slicker
04-15-2009, 08:22 AM
what "SLICK" are u a nazi LOLLOL!! :rolleyes: You're not funny and never have been. Go kill yourself...or better yet, have that hairy spider on you neck do it for you...;)

Change of Heart was rather good. Nothing I would've picked up on my own but glad that I've read it.

JimJamBonds
04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I finished reading The Man With The Iron Heart by Harry Turtledove. Its a alt. history story about what if the Nazi's would have started a guerrilla war at the end of WWII. Its an interesting read, although I've read a number of Turtledove novels before it does play out in a somewhat predictable fashion. None the less I'm glad I read it.

DarthQuack
04-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Still need to get through *ugh* Children of the Jedi.....but in the meantime I'm re-reading Angels and Demons, the illustrated version to get myself ready for the movie coming out.

JimJamBonds
05-10-2009, 08:47 PM
I read The Bro Code by Barney Stinson yesterday at a local Barnes and Noble. It only took about an hour (I had time to kill). Its a nice fun little read, I'd never pay the $15ish dollars for it.

OC47150
05-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I picked up Jedi Trials at the library the other day and am almost done with it. It's a fast read and it's holding my attention.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I picked up Jedi Trials at the library the other day and am almost done with it.If you meant Jedi Trial, as I quoted Obi-Wan before, "I am so sorry." :sad:

OC47150
05-11-2009, 07:12 PM
It was Jedi Trial, and, compared to other SW books I've read, I didn't think it was too bad.

mtriv73
05-12-2009, 12:37 PM
I just finished the latest of the 9 Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. They're really entertaining. If you've seen True Blood on HBO, they are the books the series is based upon.

JimJamBonds
06-18-2009, 09:58 AM
I finished Finding Eichman last night. Its about the search, capture, transport and trial of Adolph Eichman who was involved in the Holocaust during WW II.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Summer's on! Two are done, with hopefully many more to follow. First was the Clone Wars: No Prisoners, already reviewed in that thread. Just finished E.R. Burroughs' The Gods of Mars, a John Carter of Mars Martian Tales of... book. Not bad; it's in that turn-of-the-century sci-fi style of narrating, where every detail is mentioned minutely and the characters "monologue" a lot, as The Incredibles put it. Lots of SW influence, clearly, and a surprisingly sad ending (the title of chapter 22 was "Victory and Defeat," so I guess it shouldn't have been too shocking to end negatively).

Am partway through Golda Meir's My Life.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-22-2009, 11:48 PM
I took a break from the formation of the Jewish state of Israel for a little humor: two of George Carlin's books, Napalm & Silly Putty and When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? Whoa! Not quite. I apparently had remembered semi-sanitized cable specials George Carlin, and forgot how he really speaks and thinks. :eek: Sometimes the comments were funny, but more often they were uncomfortably vulgar, graphic, and disturbing. How does one go back to Golda Meir after these two?

JimJamBonds
06-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Those are a couple of great reads BCJ!!! I'd say you would need to read something else as a sort of buffer before you get back to Golda Meir.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Those are a couple of great reads BCJ!!! I'd say you would need to read something else as a sort of buffer before you get back to Golda Meir.I'm starting that "cat that saved a small town" story Dewey, for that very reason. I also have a few others on the shelf, and there's a hardcover SW book out today (I think it's Omen), so I have some options. And My Life has been quite interesting to read, it's just very detailed and therefore not a "quick" read.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Finished Dewey: The Small Town Cat That Touched the World yesterday. One book jacket comment said it had "a five hanky ending," with which I would agree. But a nice story. Am trying to continue Ms. Meir's memoir now.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Just can't seem to delve right back in to a memoir... so I took a break with a biography, Pistol, by Mark Kriesel. I thought I knew a fair amount about Pete Maravich; turns out I knew nuthin' really. Both a sad, uplifting, confusing, facinating, and twisting tale.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Fourth same-user post in a row... :rolleyes:

I finally finished My Life, a memoir of former Israel leader (since she held several posts over her life) Golda Meir. Very detailed, good memory, quite defensive in tone, but also balanced and fair. I wasn't really aware of all that went into the formation and protection of that country and people.

So far this summer, 7 books read, about 2000 pages total. On to more! :D

JimJamBonds
07-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Fourth same-user post in a row... :rolleyes:

Good thing then that I made that comment about When Will Jesus Bring The Porkchops otherwise it would have been 6 in a row for you BCJ.

DarthQuack
07-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Re-reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince before the movies comes out soon :)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Re-reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince before the movies comes out soon :)Wait, they made books of the movies? Sweet! Gotta check them out.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Two more.

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes. This is a young reader novel, set in the pre-Revolutionary War period in Boston. A good moral lesson story, and a good time machine back to a simpler time in US history.

On Writing by Stephen King. This is a sort of how-to for aspiring writers, but it also has some personal history and views. He was writing this when he was hit by that driver while walking, so he interrupted it with the story of how he was healing after all that. It's both helpful and daunting, when you realize just what's involved with novel writing (and more frighteningly [ha! there's an adverb for you, Mr. King] is the publishing and shopping around parts).

Bel-Cam Jos
07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm up to 11 books read this summer this far, just under 3000 pages. These two were short, easy ones.

The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney. This was the story that became the Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie(s). It started in the 1950s-era sci-fi style, with A LOT of details and narration, but by the end, it quickly and concisely wrapped up the story. I read this as a sci-fi reading club recommendation; good societal warning tale.

The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho. I have always liked his books, and I found out this was the end of a "trilogy" of books, but I read the first a long time ago and had yet to get the second, so there's a quest for me to fulfill. The subtitle calls it "A Novel of Temptation," and that is certainly so. It's kind of like Twain's "The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg" meets Jackson's "The Lottery." Not bad; another warning to the world.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
In what ended up as unlucky choices (I'm now up to 13 books read this summer), there are two more to add to the list (LISTS... ).

Unfinished Lives-What If?. I like alternative history, but these were just not well-written stories. Cliched, simplistic, hacked, stiff. They wrote about what would've happened if those-who-died-too-soon had lived: Marilyn M., J. Dean, JFK, A. Ashe, N.B. Simpson, A. Earhart, A. Frank, etc. It sounds like what high school students would write; I appreciate that when I'm grading HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS' WORK, but not published books.

Where Have All the Leaders Gone? by Lee Iacocca. I wanted to read something by authors starting with 'I' and 'Y,' so that's why I chose it. It turned into a bit of a blame-game, which the book argues against. There are many good points, but I just didn't want another our-society-is-broken-so-how-do-we-fix-it; now I know what my students probably feel about some of those assignments I assign. :rolleyes:

OC47150
07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
To mark the 65th anniversary of D-Day, I read three D-Day related books.

* When Eagles Scream. It's the memoirs of an 101st paratrooper who parachuted into Normandy. It's written in simple terms, but the story is interesting.

* Invasion - They're Coming. The D-Day invasion from the German perspective. It's translated from German and a few extra words are here and there, but good to know the German mindset on that day.

* D-Day, the Sixth of June. The chapters are broken down to different events of that fateful day.

I've also read several of the SW Jedi Quest books over the Fourth of July weekend. Short reads, but I do enjoy them.

JimJamBonds
07-09-2009, 09:55 PM
* Invasion - They're Coming. The D-Day invasion from the German perspective. It's translated from German and a few extra words are here and there, but good to know the German mindset on that day.

Wow that one sounds quite interesting, I'll have to see if I can track that down at my local library. Thanks OC!:thumbsup:

DarthQuack
07-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Finished HPATHBP on vacation and will finish The Deathly Hallows later this afternoon :)

Slicker
07-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Forgive me father Shadows of the Empire for I have sinned.

I've started reading The Thrawn Trilogy. I'm done with the first book and I'm on about chapter 10 in the second. I must admit that it's rather good.

Don't anybody get any ideas though. I very highly doubt I'll dabble in more EU. I ran out of books and there happens to be another geek in my shop that had these so I figured I'd give 'em a try.

Rocketboy
07-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Forgive me father Shadows of the Empire for I have sinned.

I've started reading The Thrawn Trilogy. I'm done with the first book and I'm on about chapter 10 in the second. I must admit that it's rather good.
I have all three, but have only managed to get about half way through the first book before being too bored to care.

Rocketboy
07-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Forgot to add that I picked up a new book but I'm only a few pages in.

I was never one for classic lit, but I picked up Pride & Prejudice...well, sort of.
I should say Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

How can you not love a classic with Zombies added?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
I had two serious books, both non-fiction, although one is listed as such but the author admits it seems outrageous.

The Shack by Wm. P. Young. Several teachers at my school highly recommended it. It was a good story, about how a father whose daughter was killed tries to understand how God could let it happen. Sometimes funny, occasionally sad, a couple of shocking moments. Not bad, and it fufilled my desire to read an author with a 'Y' last name.

Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario. An account of an immimgrant teenager trying to go from Honduras to the US to meet his mother who'd left to work several years prior. Some graphic descriptions of the horrors of illegal immigration, but it seems to come out on the side of those arriving. It won Pulitzer Prizes as the newspaper version and photos from it.

So that's 15 books, around 4000 pages.

DarthQuack
07-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Man, I just want to rip my hair out....I really hate this lady who wrote Children of the Jedi. She is an awful writer IMO.

El Chuxter
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
What was worse, the lousy writing, the talking Gamorreans who think they're Stormtroopers, or Luke falling in love with a computer program?

JimJamBonds
07-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I read Citizen In Chief, it examines what have the ex presidents done once leaving office. While at times a bit dry and painful all in all it was a good (and interesting) read.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Man, I just want to rip my hair out....I really hate this lady who wrote Children of the Jedi. She is an awful writer IMO.Hey! She's a wonderful person. All people are beautiful creations. It's just her writing and subject matter that are terrible.

[edit]Since the closest thing to Harry Potter seems to be the vampire teens series by Stephenie "My Name is Spelled Like Combining Both a Man's and Woman's Name" Meyer, I felt obligated to read the first book, Twilight. Surprisingly, it was a fast read (for 500 pages), but it was definitely a teenaged girl audience. Not enough action, but I saw the model of HP in her style or writing. The dialogue is no way teen authentic, but I can see how it got such a strong following. But I have no desire to read any of the other books.

Slicker
07-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I just finished up the Thrawn Trilogy and I must say that it was quite good. I had a tough time putting it down. Zahn is definitely a great sy-fy sci-fi writer.

mtriv73
07-16-2009, 02:11 PM
[edit]Since the closest thing to Harry Potter seems to be the vampire teens series by Stephenie...

The closest thing to Harry Potter I've read recently is the Olympian series by Rick Riordian. Without much free time to read, I read all 5 books in a couple weeks. They're definitely written for 6th graders, but it's a great story. He doesn't develop this other world within our world as well as JK Rowling but it never lost my interest.

DarkArtist
07-16-2009, 02:50 PM
I just finished up the Thrawn Trilogy and I must say that it was quite good. I had a tough time putting it down. Zahn is definitely a great sy-fy sci-fi writer.

loved those books, you should also read Spector of the Past and Vision of the Future as well. two more great books by Zahn.

i'm starting to read Millennium Falcon while I wait for the next book in the Legacy of the Force series, just finished Omen

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Continuing my Patriot Act defiance (tracking library books checked out) by reading multiple genres, I chose a trashy romance novel. How did I pick it? Walking by the rack, I saw an awful title (Dinner First, Me Later?), a clearly birth-certificate-real author name (Candy Halliday), and a cheesy-sounding summary on the back cover.

I can't completely bash the book after reading it, though. Yes, it's filled with stereotyped characterization, weak premises, unrealistic dialogue, and predictable plotlines. But it was a decent story of a father (former Rookie of the Year Chicago Cub) trying to re-connect with his teenage daughter (the wife/mother died recently) while "connecting" :love: with a recent divorcee across the street, all the time avoiding the evil-grandmother-who's-a-former-model-now-modeling-agency-head who wants to damage this whole thing. But it's done now. :rolleyes:

Total books so far: 17, about 4800 pages.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Crossed the 5K page and 18 book levels with Before-He-Was-President Obama's The Audacity of Hope. It was what I expected: semi-specific but mainly an overview of beliefs. With a few humorous and touching items. If I want to get to my adjusted 20-book amount, I have a little less than a fortnight to finish two more books (am part way through Lake Wobegon Days and I want to get to Walter Cronkite's autobio). Anything more than those will be gravy.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2009, 10:13 PM
I am running out of summer reading days :( so I may be near my last books. I just finished Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor. It had it moments when I LOL'd but for the most part it was an effort to trudge through it most of the time.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-04-2009, 09:33 AM
My last book might be A Reporter's Life, the autobiography of Walter Cronkite. It's sad to see how he predicted much of the demise of "news" on TV. Interesting how he thought that the Internet would be a good addition to TV, but now it seems to have replaced it in a lesser quality and quantity (shorter blurbs, a.k.a. blogs) by less qualified "reporters." He led a pretty unique life.

So far (I do still have about 5 days of summer left), I've read 20 books, just under 6000 pages. Once summer is "officially" over next week, I'll have complete stats, plus the multi-year ones. I know you all are drooling over all that. ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2009, 10:14 PM
With the new school year resuming tomorrow (school starting on August 10th?!? :confused: what the-?!? :upset: ), my "summer" is officially closed as of today. :( I was able to sneak in a short 200-pager before the end, called California Blue by David Klass. It's about a kid who discovers a new species of butterfly on land owned by a logging company. It is also a father-whose-treatment-of-his-son-seems-unfair tale, that ended realistically, which you don't always read in a young adult book. Not bad, bit of a downer (cancer plotline in there, too), but I can see why it won awards.

So, that leaves my statistics as follows:
Books read: 21
Total pages (estimate): 6100
Average per book: 290
Most commonly read author's last name by letter: tie (C and K)

6-year summer totals:
Books read: 160
Total pages (estimate): 42,400
Average per book: 265

Sigh... will try to get some other reading in whenever I can for the rest of '09 (there will be SW books; Omen should be here soon).

OC47150
08-10-2009, 07:02 PM
With the new school year resuming tomorrow (school starting on August 10th?!? :confused: what the-?!? :upset: ), my "summer" is officially closed as of today. :(

School resumes here on Wednesday.

Here are just some of the books I've read lately (I know I'm leaving one or two out):

* Save the Hostages. About a hostage crisis in the Congo in 1964. White Europeans and Americans were held against their will by the Simbas. The Belgium gov't sent in paratroopers and an armored column of mercenaries offered armor support to rescue them.

* Ep. 1 Journal: Darth Maul. One of the short young adult readers. Offered some interesting insight into Maul that's not shown in the movies.

* Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. I read this several years ago over the holidays. I re-read it at a slower pace and thoroughly enjoyed it.

* Ghost Recon. A novelization of the video game. It wasn't too bad. A fast read.

I read a couple of the Jedi Apprentice books, too, sometime in-between there.

Currently reading SW Outcast.

DarthQuack
08-23-2009, 03:53 PM
FINALLY finished Children of the Jedi. Not sure I really understood the whole story...now onto the fun sequel thankfully written by a new author, only to have to deal with Barbara to finish out the trilogy... :rolleyes:

TeeEye7
08-29-2009, 03:30 AM
I've borrowed a signed copy of Don Felder's book, Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles (1974-2001) from a collegue at work. (He bought off of eBay for next to nothing). I haven't cracked it open yet, but I hope to while I'm on vacation after this coming week.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-29-2009, 08:50 AM
That is one long football career! To survive 26 seasons in Philly certainly is an accomplishment. ;)

TeeEye7
08-29-2009, 01:39 PM
....and without the use of steroids!

However, I can't vouch that Felder didn't use other pharmaceuticals.

OC47150
08-30-2009, 10:11 AM
I've borrowed a signed copy of Don Felder's book, Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles (1974-2001) from a collegue at work. (He bought off of eBay for next to nothing). I haven't cracked it open yet, but I hope to while I'm on vacation after this coming week.

I'm curious to hear how this book was. I'm a huge Eagles fan, and I'm interesting to see what Felder's take is on everything. Lotta bad blood between him, Henley and Frey.

TeeEye7
09-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm curious to hear how this book was. I'm a huge Eagles fan, and I'm interesting to see what Felder's take is on everything. Lotta bad blood between him, Henley and Frey.

I finished the book yesterday, but wanted to digest it a bit before posting. In all, an easy read (the brunt of my reading was over Friday-Saturday). A bit over 300 pages with a smattering of photos.

I would characterize the book more of a "warts and all" book rather than a "tell all" book. Felder is brutally honest with his successes and failures, character flaws, and dreams both shattered and realized. Maybe I'd characterize it more of an "it is what it is" book. I felt many times like I was on the sidelines of a therapy session listening in. He pulls no punches with his band mates or himself. His time with the group was a true love/hate relationship overshadowed by drug abuse and greed from the minute he joined the group.

The book begins as a wonderful autobiography about Felder's poverty-stricken youth in Florida and culminates with the implosion of the group as egos and greed collide (and no one, not even Felder, can escape the fact that they all are guilty of having egos or wanting their "piece of the pie").

If you're an Eagles fan, I can recommend it (I'm a moderate fan). Just be prepared to journey to the dark side of the group through one member's eyes. I see Felder's book as a lament more than anything else. To me, it's a book where many conclusions can be drawn. Read it, and come up with your own as Felder takes you down many paths. My take, as I said, is that the work is a lament on what could have/should have been.

I borrowed the book from a friend at work. It's a signed copy he bought off of eBay. For the real fans of Felder, I've posted a photo showing his autograph. I don't know if it's real or not, but there it is. Some may be more savvy as to its authenticity. I have no idea. Felder speaks of how his signature tends to be the most rare of the group.

OC47150
09-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Rolling Stone had a great article on the Eagles in the last year or so. It briefly touched on the Henley-Frey-Felder relationship. The just is, Henley and Frey are like the group's controlling partners: if you don't like what they say, you're more or less gone.

60 Minutes had an interesting piece on the Eagles, too, in the last two years, but really didn't touch on Felder.

TeeEye7
09-06-2009, 06:44 PM
This is exactly what Felder's book is about. It really should have been called the Frey-Henley Band (listed in order of power and ego) instead of the Eagles. Felder's complaint was when he signed on board, the contract stated everything would be split equally between the five band members. Frey, Henley, and the Eagles manager Irving Azoff, ended up making a power play for control and the remaining original, then subsequent members, including Felder ended up with "scraps" (my word; we're talking millions here). Felder's book is a nasty insight into the greed of the music business. One by one, Frey and Henley chased off two of the original members and to his dismay, kept Felder at bay for years.

DarkArtist
09-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Currently reading The Force Unleashed.... just finished Reading Legacy of the Jedi Abyss

darthbooger
09-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Eagerly awaiting Deathtroopers while my still unread copy of The Force Unleashed hardback and unopened video game collects dust on my shelf lol :D

DarkArtist
09-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Eagerly awaiting Deathtroopers while my still unread copy of The Force Unleashed hardback and unopened video game collects dust on my shelf lol :D

can't wait for Deathtroopers...as well as the complete guide to Star Wars Lego... looking forward to both books as well as the continuation of the Legacy of the Jedi series.

DarthQuack
09-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Picked up a few books at a used book store today....

Moby Dick
Collection of Mark Twain works
Bruce Coville children's book I used to have
Pet Sematary

OC47150
09-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Generation Kill. Interesting books about a Recon Marine unit in the Iraq War. Recon Marines are trained to be stealthy, but these guys were given HummVs and acted like light infantry during the war.

DarthQuack
09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Finished Darksaber today....can't say I'm looking forward to Planet of Twilight mostly because of the author.....:mad:

El Chuxter
09-22-2009, 09:18 PM
There is a Hutt Jedi who somewhat makes up for the sucktitude of the rest of the book.

pbarnard
10-01-2009, 01:53 PM
There is a Hutt Jedi who somewhat makes up for the sucktitude of the rest of the book.

Actually I thought he added to it, or was the sarcasm detector not working?

Anyways...concurrently...

SPECIAL EDITION of SCIENCE. All about a new fossil that predates Lucy by a few hundred thousand years. Maybe the last common ancestor of humans and apes.

The Three Kingdoms. Having just watched Redcliff and it's sequal, my wife found me a translation of one of the most popular tales in Chinese culture about what happened at the fall of the Han dynasty.

Star By Star. Rereading things to see just how and where Jacen falls, it is much earlier than Legacy of the Force. Also trying to pick up on hints of when Jag/Jaina baby will pop out to start the Fel Dynasty of Legacy era.

Cracking the GRE/Princeton Review GRE 2010 edition. Yes, it's that time. Maybe moving on. Took the test, waiting on writing scores, but may take it again because I left too much room on the table with the verbal.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-01-2009, 06:42 PM
I remember when I used to have time to read... :cry:

TeeEye7
10-02-2009, 12:09 PM
That was before the Dark Times. :school'sinsession:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2009, 10:20 AM
School sin session, is right. Atticus Finch: "Shoot all the disresectful people you want, but it's a sin to kill reading time."

OC47150
10-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Read SW: CW: Secret Missions #1. It wasn't too bad. Fast-paced. I like the set up for future books.

DarthQuack
10-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Just picked up Bill Simmons new book (http://www.amazon.com/Book-Basketball-NBA-According-Sports/dp/034551176X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256703103&sr=8-1) and am really enjoying it so far about 50 pages in.

Has anyone read Death Troopers (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Troopers-Joe-Schreiber/dp/0345509625/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256702893&sr=8-1) yet? This looks really fun being a horror Star Wars novel. :thumbsup:

darthbooger
10-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Reading Death Troopers now, very good so far and it moves fast. Not a childrens Star Wars novel either. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Would have to wait until Nov. 10, as the only library copy's been checked out. But I shan't have any reading time until Nov. anyway, so it's a moot point.

OC47150
11-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Reading Death Troopers now, very good so far and it moves fast. Not a childrens Star Wars novel either. :thumbsup:

Is it worth picking up in hardback? I generally don't buy SW novels in hardback format unless I can get a good deal. But Death Troopers really intrigues me.

I see the new Karen Traviss 501st book is out. Anyone reading it yet?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Has anyone read Death Troopers yet? This looks really fun being a horror Star Wars novel. :thumbsup:

Is it worth picking up in hardback? I generally don't buy SW novels in hardback format unless I can get a good deal. But Death Troopers really intrigues me.

I finished it today (great having a day off). The first 100 pages or so were among the best SW EU ever. I stopped to take a break, then picked up where I left off, and it fell into the recently typical EU. :( Why? Check out the semi SPOILERS BELOW. And why was there a "sneak peak" of a book (Outcast) that's been out for about a year? :confused: But I need to get the 501st novel, too.

Vader getting mentioned was the right way: just as stories or hearsay. Including "two rouge smugglers" was too much for me. I think the story coudl've held just as well without those OT characters. I liked the ending though; very Cast Away-esque to deliver a note.

Ando
11-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Bought it Sunday afternoon and finished it Tuesday night. Great read and a great follow up to Order 66. She'll have to keep writing about these characters.

The transition from the GAR to Galactic Imperial forces was really interesting.

There were also some surprising character developments as well.

It'd be REALLY cool if/when the Star Wars live action series ever comes around, they'd feature Kal Skirata and his Mando "family" in an episode or 2.

If you like the series so far, it's $7.99 and well worth it.

DarthQuack
11-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Stephen King's Under the Dome shipped to me release day on Tuesday, and I just surpassed the 400 page mark, only another 700 to go! Really enjoying this though so far. Anyone else gonna give this a read?

Rocketboy
11-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Stephen King's Under the Dome shipped to me release day on Tuesday, and I just surpassed the 400 page mark, only another 700 to go! Really enjoying this though so far. Anyone else gonna give this a read?I doubt it, since I saw the movie adaptation a few years ago.

:D