PDA

View Full Version : A Question about the opening crawl and the space battle

DarthAngel
07-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Hello to all!

After seeing ROTS for the 20th time the other day, I started thinking about certain things that I noticed during the very opening of the movie. I apologize if this has already been talked about, but there are just a few things that are still unsettled in my eyes.

Now normally I am the type of person who can pick out the things that are more abstract, or further in the background, like the clone trooper boxing with the battle droid. But when it comes to things that are well...more in your face, I have a tough time noticing it.

Now I can't remember if I read it here or on another site, but this is the way the 'camera pan (move/shift)' was supposed to go for each of the PT movies after the opening crawl; TPM camera pans to the left. AOTC camera pans up. ROTS camera pans to the right.

Now we all know that the camera pans are correct cause they actually happen in the movie. But why does the camera pan down in ROTS? Was that done to tie in with OT? Does anyone have an idea as to why this may be, or does anyone know the real story about this?

My other issue with the opening is that I am almost positive that I have seen some OT Star Destroyers in that space battle right along side the Star Destroyers we first see in AOTC. Did anyone else notice this or am I just an over zealous fanboy who was hoping to see some OT Star Destroyers in ROTS? Can someone please tell me that I am not imagining this. Thanks y'all!

JimJamBonds
07-10-2005, 12:48 PM
I noticed during my last viewing that there is no action 'under' the first Star Destroyer we see. It isn't until the fighters turn and head away from the ship do we see the battle, although just a few moments earlier there is a quick glimpse in that direction and there is nothing going on out of the ordinary.

DarthAngel
07-10-2005, 07:07 PM
That is a good observation JimJam. I noticed that too, and I always thought it was a bit out of the ordinary.

But back to the reason why I started this thread, I am quite convinced that in the opening battle there are a few OT Star Destroyers (like the ones from the Endor Battle), mixed in with the Star Destroyers we were first introduced to in AOTC.

JimJamBonds
07-10-2005, 07:11 PM
But back to the reason why I started this thread, I am quite convinced that in the opening battle there are a few OT Star Destroyers (like the ones from the Endor Battle), mixed in with the Star Destroyers we were first introduced to in AOTC.

Personally I've never noticed that, during my last handfull of viewings I've been on the lookout for odd things. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if there are a few OT Star Destroyers in there. I'll definitly keep an eye out for this next time.

DarthAngel
07-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks JimJam. If I should notice anything odd in any of my future viewings, I will let you know.

JON9000
08-07-2005, 10:20 PM
I just saw the movie again today, and while I have nothing to add to the matter at hand, I can say that I was blown away by the opening battle.

My favorite part is when they show the two capital ships blasting the crud out of each other at point blank range old school Master & Commander style. That was a nice touch. I was glad this scene was in the movie, because we never really got the chance to see Capital ships really exchange salvos in the OT. :)

bobafrett
08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
I always thought the camera panned up or down, I don't recall it panning left or right, but I'm thinking about just after the opening crawl fades out of view. Damn, now I'll have to watch them again, what horrible torture to have to watch Star Wars movies. :D