PDA

View Full Version : Should Chewie have been recognized more?

JimJamBonds
07-10-2005, 07:38 PM
I got to thinking that shouldn't Chewie have been more recognized in the OT? When Han and Luke take him in cuffs to the detention center the Imperial officer simply refers to Chewie as a "thing." We now know that he isn't just some nothing Wookie but played a role in the defense of Kashyyyk during the Clone Wars even being on a first name basis with Yoda. Of course IV-VI came first but even then Chewie was known for his dealings with Han. Although maybe I'm just making too big of a deal since as I said the OT was first. Meh!

Rocketboy
07-10-2005, 11:46 PM
I got to thinking that shouldn't Chewie have been more recognized in the OT? When Han and Luke take him in cuffs to the detention center the Imperial officer simply refers to Chewie as a "thing." We now know that he isn't just some nothing Wookie but played a role in the defense of Kashyyyk during the Clone Wars even being on a first name basis with Yoda. Of course IV-VI came first but even then Chewie was known for his dealings with Han. Although maybe I'm just making too big of a deal since as I said the OT was first. Meh!To me, the "thing" comment seemed to be just an uppity racist Imperial try to show how in charge he was.
He didn't have to be recognized anywhere, the battle on Kashyyyk was 20 years prior. Plenty of time to forget a face in the grand scheme of things.
Plus, all wookies look the same anyway. :D

About the first name basis between Yoda and Chewie...they had other names (first or last)? ;)

Kidhuman
07-11-2005, 12:28 AM
No, he shouldnt have been recognized as an individual, but the species yes. If the Empire had enslaved the race, he should have known what he was.

2-1B
07-11-2005, 12:44 AM
But like Rocky posted, the Imp said "thing" with disgust in his voice . . . that doesn't mean he didn't recognize a wookiee, just that he was put off by Chewie's existence (good point about the 'uppity racist' comment, Rock). :)

Semi-related to the topic at hand, what about Leia ? She refers to Chewbles as a "Walking Carpet" which doesn't mean that she was unfamiliar with the wookie race but she might not have been familiar, either. Sure we see Wookiee representation in the Senate during TPM but were they allowed to stay in the Senate after Palps declared himself Emperor ? Kashyyk was loyal to the Republic but I'm curious about what course they took afterward . . .

Good relations with the wookies, Leia did not have. (at first).

JimJamBonds
07-11-2005, 12:53 AM
But like Rocky posted, the Imp said "thing" with disgust in his voice . . . that doesn't mean he didn't recognize a wookiee, just that he was put off by Chewie's existence (good point about the 'uppity racist' comment, Rock). :)

Semi-related to the topic at hand, what about Leia ? She refers to Chewbles as a "Walking Carpet" which doesn't mean that she was unfamiliar with the wookie race but she might not have been familiar, either. Sure we see Wookiee representation in the Senate during TPM but were they allowed to stay in the Senate after Palps declared himself Emperor ? Kashyyk was loyal to the Republic but I'm curious about what course they took afterward . . .

Good relations with the wookies, Leia did not have. (at first).

I don't think they were in the Senate since the Wookies became slaves.

Slicker
07-11-2005, 02:57 AM
Poor, poor Chewie. Are we all also forgetting about his lack of getting a medal at the end of ANH. If you go by EU it was Chewie that convinced Han to turn around and help the Rebels.

2-1B
07-11-2005, 03:55 AM
Why would we go by EU ? :confused:

Rocketboy
07-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Why would we go by EU ? :confused:Exactly what I was thinkin'.

Plus, if you go by EU, they dropped a planet Chewie's head!

What the hell were they drinking?

Slicker
07-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Why would we go by EU ? :confused:I don't know. I should've italicized the if so it would sound sarcastic. I don't go by EU unless it's SOTE but some suckers do. Maybe it was Aurra Sing that made Han turn back because she was chasing him for Jabba.

El Chuxter
07-11-2005, 05:27 PM

Oh, please. It was a moon! If you're going to bach EU, get the facts straight! :p:crazed:

What the hell were they drinking?

That would be Jawa Juice.

But seriously, folks. . . . It's not said onscreen at any point, but most of the reference sources indicate that the Wookiees were enslaved by the Empire almost immediately after the Battle of Kashyyyk.

So Leia wouldn't know a Wookiee from simply recognizing the species from the Senate.

And my guess would be Chewie convincing Han to turn back is canon, not EU. It's implied by the short exchanges between Chewie and Han on Yavin IV.

JimJamBonds
07-12-2005, 12:45 AM

I'm not sure I should ask but what's the story on this?

2-1B
07-12-2005, 03:40 AM
SOTE is weak, too - oh okay, Han Solo is frozen so we can't use him, how 'bout we just introduce a new ripoff character and have an inferior Solo ? lol lol lol

CaptainSolo1138
07-12-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure I should ask but what's the story on this?
It's from the "Vector Prime" story (not sure if it was a novel or comic book, though. On second thought I don't care). They killed poor Chewie. I don't know the specifics, but it never happened anyway. And Boba Fett never got out of the Sarlaac. And Dengar is not married.

JimJamBonds
07-12-2005, 10:33 AM
It's from the "Vector Prime" story (not sure if it was a novel or comic book, though. On second thought I don't care). They killed poor Chewie. I don't know the specifics, but it never happened anyway. And Boba Fett never got out of the Sarlaac. And Dengar is not married.

Hmm thanks Cap, I agree Fett is dead. Besides if you want Boba to live why then have him die in the same place later on? I think thast just silly! :crazed:

Rocketboy
07-12-2005, 11:24 AM
SOTE is weak, too - oh okay, Han Solo is frozen so we can't use him, how 'bout we just introduce a new ripoff character and have an inferior Solo ? lol lol lolDash Rendar was totally different than Han!
He had a droid as his copilot, a different ship, and....red hair.

At least they didn't drop a moon on anyone's head...

El Chuxter
07-12-2005, 12:04 PM
No, but they did reduce "many Bothans" to a mere handful.

And they had the ridiculous "reprogrammed R2-D2 attacks the other Rogues."

And Boba deciding to gallivant across the universe with his precious cargo.

And Xizor outranking Jabba.

And a lizard who's obsessed with knocking Leia's boots.

And Greedo's wacky uncle.

Face it, Shadows was a well-written book and worth reading, but it's far from perfect.

Rocketboy
07-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah...but it all sounds like perfection when you consider they dropped a moon on Chewie's head.
I can't help but picture Chewie as Wile E. Coyote with the the little 'help!' sign as the shadow of the moon gets larger and larger about to crush him.
:)