View Full Version : I think today Hasbro wants me to stop collecting

ROTJLuke
07-11-2005, 02:20 PM
More dissapointing news from rebelscum.com

More Hasbro Details Uncovered
Posted by Curto (curto@rebelscum.com) on July 11, 2005:
http://www.rebelscum.com/images/Twhite.gif
New OTC Packaging
The basic line OTC packaging looks like a combination of the old OTC line and the new ROTS packaging. Rectangular cards with the OTC graphics, but the base is rounded off similar to the ROTS figures. Bubbles are rectangular, which is better for stacking.

New OTC Figures
The bad news: The figures pictured on the back - all rehashes.

Chewbacca as Boushh's Bounty (http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2chewieboussh.asp)
Leia (In Boushh Disguise) (http://www.rebelscum.com/soteKleia.asp)
Han Solo in Carbonite (http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF23djabba.asp) (from Jabba's Palace)
Bib Fortuna (http://www.rebelscum.com/OTC31bibfortuna.asp)
Barada (http://www.rebelscum.com/sw04skirmishatcarkoon.asp) (most recently from Skirkish at Carkoon)
One more unidentified character, possibly from Jabba's Palace

The good news: There is an oval opening about 1.5 inches big, but no actual toys in these, and it's not yet known what will be included in these, but it looks like it will be an extra accessory of some kind.

Transformers
The other new packaging is a foot long pegable package with a clear window and on the top it has the STAR WARS logo, and on the bottom it says...TRANSFORMERS. That's right, Star Wars Transformers!

More details are coming, so expect an update soon.

WTF IS THIS?!?!?!:cry: :frus: :cry: :frus: :cry:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Well, I kind of figured that a lot of this line would be repacks. But, if they can't even tell who the last one is, what's to say that some of these aren't resculpts? Maybe they mistook some of them for old ones but are really new. I have a hard time believing that they'd repack that Chewie and Leia, since those are horrible by today's standards. Hopefully that at least the last unidentified figure is new.

On that oval opening, I wonder if they're thinking of returning to those ditched Commtech 2.0 designs? Maybe if they didn't sound like crap then I'd go for them, but it sounds like these new packins might just be ways to get collectors to rebuy the old figures. If so, then I won't do it.

I'm not sure about those Transformers . . . I'll have to hear more about them to pass judgment.

ROTJLuke
07-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Im soo disheartened right now...:(

Devo
07-11-2005, 03:05 PM
That does not sound good. Wasn't that crap Bib Fortuna already rehashed on OTC card??!!! He is one of the sh*ttiest figures Hasbro has ever done - he looks ridiculous next to recent Jabbas palace figures, I cannot believe they aren't resculpting him. Some figures are just too crap to rerelease Hasbro!!! I would rather buy the vintage one than this.

And what are they playing at with Leia Boushh? This figure is way too tall for Leia and primitively detailed by comparison with todays stuff. They resculpted Skiff Lando why not Leia Boushh?? I think its about time she was redone.

Chewie Boushh bounty should be the VOTC figure with a chain around his neck - I can't believe they're reissuing a shortarsed chewbacca.

Speaking of shortarsed - Han carbonite from the Palace card diorama??? What a joke. Try putting him next to Leia Boushh and and she towers over him. Cop on Hasbro.

Barada - meh.

This is at best underwhelming news so far from Hasbro. At worst? Insulting.

spang2005
07-11-2005, 03:14 PM
I think I'll be alright. I don;t see the point in demanding constant new merchandise. So what if they release some older figures? Just don't buy them. Save the money for when they do come out with new figures. I need a breather after ROTS, and that's not even over yet!

Blue2th
07-11-2005, 04:02 PM
I think I'll be alright. I don;t see the point in demanding constant new merchandise. So what if they release some older figures? Just don't buy them. Save the money for when they do come out with new figures. I need a breather after ROTS, and that's not even over yet!
You think you will be alright. The problem with these re-hashed figures is that they end up being peg warmers and the retail stores will not order anymore cases. Then Hasbro in it's shortsightedness cancels production. It's happened before.

Slicker
07-11-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm probably the only one who is happy about it. I've wanted a new Han in Carbonite and a new Leia Boussh for years now. All of these figs in this set (with the exception of Bib) haven't been released in years. Hell the Han hasn't been seen in nearly 10 years as well as the Boussh. Also all of these figs are from Jabba's Palace so that could mean that they're releasing scene specific waves.

Umbra
07-11-2005, 04:25 PM
looks like they have updated the article since the first post.

Apparently Bib and Han are new sculpts with possibly leia too

I'd be quite happy to see a new boush leia sculpt myself

Droid
07-11-2005, 04:42 PM
I'll be happy if they make SOME PREVIOUSLY UNPRODUCED CHARACTERS! Barada? Barada? Why not a different one of the Niktos? Why not Jabba's Palace Klaatu? Why not the one of Barada's species that played the drums in the Jedi Rocks sequence?

Honestly.

wedge1968
07-11-2005, 05:04 PM
I am actually pretty happy about this. There is no way that I could keep up with all of the new stuff that they are putting out there; I am already putting one of my kids on ebay to try to keep up. A few things on the shelves that I won't have to dump money on will give me a chance to try to recover.

Beast
07-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Yep, they updated. Half of the figures are new or retooled, and they all come with exclusive 'Hologram figures'. Hopefully we'll get a mini-holo Darth Vader from Hoth. :)

New OTC Packaging
The basic line OTC packaging looks like a combination of the old OTC line and the new ROTS packaging. Rectangular cards with the OTC graphics, but the base is rounded off similar to the ROTS figures. Bubbles are rectangular, which is better for stacking.

New OTC Figures
UPDATE: Forget what was posted earlier today. That was from the initial report. We've got some new details that will please everyone...well, mostly everyone.

#001 Princess Leia Boushh Disguise: Possible new sculpt, appears to have jointed knees and 'turnable' elbows. Can't tell if the helmet is removable, but it looks big compared to the figure, so I would assume so. Comes with the big laser rifle (gray) and a thermal detonator - possibly permanently attached to the hand.

#002 Han Solo: Definitely a new sculpt, including the head. Han is wearing the outfit from the skiff battle. Comes with a new kind of vibro weapon - similar tot he skiff guard force pikes, but new. The carbonite block is a red glow from Han's torso up - similar to how it looks in the movie when the block starts to thaw out.

#003 Bib Fortuna: Definitely a new sculpt - thinner than the original and appears to be bearing his fangs. Looks to have more articulation - the elbows rotate for sure. Bib looks to be carrying some kind of a small staff or knife in one hand and some kind of small device in the other - probably a communicator.

#004 Barada: This one we have seen before - it's the same as the one from the skiff 3-pack and/or the skirmish 4-pack. He appears to have lighter colors and an orange bandana with gray boots, but that could just be the photography. Same gun is included.

#005 Chewbacca: This is just about a match for the earlier Chewbacca as Boushh's Bounty. The body looks the same, but the head looks slightly different and the arms bend 90 degrees at the elbows. Can't see much of what is or is not articulated - definitely not the legs. The chain around chewies neck looks like real metal and goes all the way down past his feet and there appears to be no bowcaster.

#006 Boba Fett: This one is just the Boba Fett Pit of Carkoon figure with the same blaster and "jet pack fire" for a base. Might be a slightly different paint job, but looks like the same sculpt.

The graphics are very similar to the OTC cards, with the silver SW logo on the top and space in the background. Just to confuse the heck out of everyone, the front bottom says "The Saga Collection"...not to be confused the prior, uh...Saga collection.

Each card has a background scene from the movie and says "Includes: Exclusive Hologram Figure!" On the back of the card in the lower right is a 2" by 1" cutout where you would be able to see the Hologram figure. The card isn't an exact rectangle, but it's close - more of a bottom heavy trapezoid I guess. If you look at it from the bottom, it looks like an ROTS figure with the same type of curve. There are no bubbles on these, but I assume the bubble will be the same rounded type that we see on the ROTS figures with the tape on the back.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
07-11-2005, 06:20 PM
So they're throwing in holo figures to get us to buy figures that are being rehashed for the second or third time? Yeesh. For me, it'll all depend on what those holos are.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Hopefully they really are new figures. Everyone has wanted a better Boushh Leia for a long time now, so this sounds nice. That melting Han sounds sweet as nuts! :eek: A new Bib Fortuna is welcome in my book, as is a new prisoner Chewie. Hopefully, if it's kind of a retool, they at least used a taller body for it. Maybe the Barada will turn out to be an all-new sculpt? There were a few other Klatooinians that looked similar to Barada, so maybe it's one of those.

Hmm, The Saga Collection? TSC. I like it. I don't even know why people called the 2002-2004 line Saga, since it doesn't say that anywhere on the package.

LTBasker
07-11-2005, 06:54 PM
If these have tape on'em I don't think I will collect them sadly. Tape on packaging is quite possibly the dumbest move any company could possibly make, even mattel dropped it after having a JL line with taped sides. What good does it possibly serve besides to be a nuisance? It doesn't make opening packages any easier, it just creates a headache.

2004's OTC was basically perfect, why ruin it with ideas from the abomination that is the ROTS packaging?

Devo
07-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Well that sounds alright then. If I were to choose one figure from that list not crying out for a resculpt it'd have been Barada.

The Chewie sounds like it will have some improvements but if its going to be small like the pre-POTJ era these are rendered moot. Anyone wanting a proper Boushh bounty Chewie will need to buy this one and put the chain on a VOTC Chewie.

Boushh needs to be scaled down like the other Leia figures and I'd like the cape to be soft goods like on VOTC Fett. Some added arm articulation would be nice at the elbows and wrists that way she doesn't have to hold the staff and chain down at her sides.

Bib fortuna - keyword 'thinner' than the original and thank iehova for that.

The glow effect on the Carbonite block sounds good if they can pull it off - but I have a feeling its going to be like that horrible paintjob on Jabba where the green bit and the yellow bit aren't blended into eachother and contrast horribly. As to Han himself, yet another head resculpt - if they ever get it right I hope they just stick to it and put the same head on every figure unless they want to change the facial expression. A case in point where they should have done this is OTC Bespin Leia - this figure should have used the POTJ Bespin escape head because the resculpt ended up being inferior. Likewise I think every ANH Leia should use the head from the 25th anniversary 2pack.

Slicker
07-11-2005, 07:17 PM
The news on the retools is very welcome. The Han, Leia, and the Chewie sound great and as JJL said the Carbonite block sounds sweet as nuts.

Turbowars
07-11-2005, 09:06 PM
You think you will be alright. The problem with these re-hashed figures is that they end up being peg warmers and the retail stores will not order anymore cases. Then Hasbro in it's shortsightedness cancels production. It's happened before.The OTC never warmed the pegs around my parts. It was one of Hasbro's most successful lines.

Turbowars
07-11-2005, 09:08 PM
If these have tape on'em I don't think I will collect them sadly. Tape on packaging is quite possibly the dumbest move any company could possibly make, even mattel dropped it after having a JL line with taped sides. What good does it possibly serve besides to be a nuisance? It doesn't make opening packages any easier, it just creates a headache.

2004's OTC was basically perfect, why ruin it with ideas from the abomination that is the ROTS packaging?I totally agree with all of this. I just hope there is very little ROTS taste to them.

ROTJLuke
07-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Yep, they updated. Half of the figures are new or retooled, and they all come with exclusive 'Hologram figures'. Hopefully we'll get a mini-holo Darth Vader from Hoth. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

This is great news, and it looks like theyve kept me in it! Im happy, Ive been wanting to see a new Leia Boussh and def. a new Han Carbon. Ill prob. pick up the Leia, Han, and Chewie. This is great!! Im giddy like a school girl! :D lol lol :D :crazed:

SW Figures are driving me to insanity lol

Tycho
07-12-2005, 01:57 PM
I build dioramas.

I don't buy redos of what I already have, nor do I keep carded figures.

I don't replace figures in my dioramas with updates; older figures are nostalgic history (ie 1998 Luke Bespin - first figure w. removeable hand)

1) Leia Boussh - don't need

2) Han Carbonite - only want a super-poseable deluxe you could completely seal in the carbonite

3) Bib Fortuna - I may buy. I might justify using a new sculpt in a new scene - such as vs. Quinlan Vos from Dark Horse's "Twilight." But where's the Quinlan figure?

4) Barada - I don't really need him and bought probably somewhere just under 10 Skiff Guard 3-packs in the day for use as random aliens.

5) Chewbacca - don't need. In fact, I've recently had occasion to buy my share of Wookiees for a while.

6) Boba Fett - I still have an extra 300 Ann. I'm saving for a scene, perhaps vs. Jaina and Jacen Solo - if they ever make them. I don't need a new Fett - but I might do a Mandalorian Wars scene vs. the Jedi, using Fett as Jaster Mureel fighting Dooku, leading other Jedi, against the younger Jango Fett. I'd be more interested in getting a custom Dooku made, and I think the Mustafar Anakin parts might be able to help. (I'm referring to events in Dark Horse's "Jango Fett: Open Season."

With the Return of the Jedi focus Hasbro seems to have, now is a good time to hope for our winners in our Top 50 Most Wanted List we voted on. ROTJ had 12 that made our list from choices out of 5 whole Star Wars movies:

3. Herme Odel (Jabba's Palace)
8. Yarna dal Gargon (Jabba's fat dancer)
10. Moff Jerjerrod (Death Star II Commander, ROTJ)
14. R2D2 Lightsaber Launcher (Jabba's Sailbarge)
25. Luke Endor Gear (removeable poncho, helmet, lightsaber)
29. Keeolkeech, Ewok Warrior
32. R2D2 Shield Bunker (Battle of Endor - shot with all parts exposed)
40. Chief Chirpa, Ewok Leader
42. Sgt. Doallyn, Jabba's Palace (with black helmet, gets thrown as Boussh enters)
43. Klaatu (Woof) - original Klaatu figure by Kenner in 1983, with sheepskin
46. Slim Aloo, Imp Dignitary (original dignitary made by Kenner in 1985)
48. Mother Ewok w. baby

Some like Princess Leia in Endor Gear, Romba, Warok, Lumat, and a new sculpt of Paploo and a B-wing Pilot didn't make it, but would also be really intelligent and desireable choices too.

Then again, if they do say 36 figures (non-movie year, but we'll likely to get more), they might make 6 more from each film, so above is how ROTJ will be best represented (in their opinion, not mine!)

ROTJLuke
07-12-2005, 03:05 PM
I hope thats not the case, but if its a new Leia,Han and the gang, then Im bought, Im a carded collector, and I like having complete sets, and this is a great way to start fresh, collecting them all. I passed on many of the ROTS, so, I hope these are worth it.

Devo
07-12-2005, 04:02 PM
I build dioramas.

I don't buy redos of what I already have, I don't replace figures in my dioramas with updates; older figures are nostalgic history (ie 1998 Luke Bespin - first figure w. removeable hand)

Interesting. I really think dioramas look better with updated figures. Sure, muscular tatooine Luke makes me fondly recall the early days of Star Wars collecting (I've only existed since '82 hence missed the vintage line) but I think he would look absurd standing in my cantina diorama next to Myo, likewise a '95 stormtrooper looks terrible next to recent imperial figures. Early figures are hidden away in my collection - which is why I really wanted to hear news of Leia Boushh and Bib Fortuna resculpts. I want all vestiges of '95-'97 POTF2, with few exceptions, removed from sight in my displays and replaced with more realistic sculpts. And there has also been the occasional below-par figure since '97 which I think has been inadequate and in need of resculpting but the bulk is from the first 3 years.

The old Luke Bespin, since you mention it, is actually an OK figure I suppose. The likeness is no better or no worse than any attempt they've had before or since....well...I lie, Jabbas palace Luke is probably their very best effort to date...IMO. But on the plus side the beefcake look was gone and the paintjob was nice. He's one of the older figures I don't hide away in a bag under the bed. Negatives though - too tall, basic articulation, and comparatively undetailed in areas such as the hands and gunholster.

ROTJLuke
07-13-2005, 01:41 AM
Im just glad were getting new figures, it makes me even more excited for next year