PDA

View Full Version : OTC Millennium Falcon vs. POTF2 Millennium Falcon

Rogue II
07-14-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm looking at picking up a Millennium Falcon. I haven't decided if I'm going to get the OTC or POTF2 yet. Is there much of a difference between them? There aren't really any threads comparing the two versions.

I had the vintage one, but that is long gone. :(

Kidhuman
07-14-2005, 01:01 AM
I have the OTC one and my stepson has one. His ios pretty cool, it has the sound effects and the blue lights on the back light up. DOnt know if the POTF2 one lit up or had effects, but I like the OTC one.

Slicker
07-14-2005, 02:59 AM
The OTC one was redesigned to be able to hold 2 figures in the cockpit because the POTF2 one couldn't do it very easily. If you want to wait a minute they're apparently re-releasing the Falcon as a TRU release in a ROTS box.:rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
07-14-2005, 09:09 AM
It's not exactly an ROTS box as it is a box with the orange logo. It doesn't have the ROTS flames on it.

Devo
07-14-2005, 10:16 AM
I've got both. As far as I'm concerned the POTF2 version has only one thing over the OTC version - its paintjob. It has plenty of wear-and-tear whereas the OTC one is mostly white (and shiny) with only a few black scorch marks. My POTF2 one has also become yellow and stained and I leave it covered in dust. What isn't good about it is that the canopy, for no reason I can discern, is a different colour to the rest of the ship. Only 2 of the 4 sound effects appear to be taken from the film (ANH) - these being engine noises. The cockpit is too cramped to fit 2 figures (but to be honest the OTC version hardly fixed this).

The OTC one has that fantastic light-up engine - it really is impressive. The POTF2 one is just a blue sticker. The OTC version has better sound effects now including more accurate blaster noises (taken from Return of the jedi if I'm not mistaken) and a proton torpedo sound. It has the same 'fly-by' engine sound as the POTF2 version but I think its been extended - another engine sound effect appears to be a monotonous background drone which you'd hear if you were 'inside' the ship. What I was disappointed that it doesn't have is a 'hyperdrive malfunction' sound effect from Empire Strikes Back - that would have been cool but they've neglected to include it 2 times out now - which I find strange.

The OTC one rectifies the oddity of the different coloured canopy but its just white like the rest of the ship. So unless, like me, you find the shiny white kind of charming, this isn't a great point.

One thing I find annoying is that on the OTC version, once you put the game table in place its impossible to remove. I wanted to replace it with the table from Dejarik Chewbacca (POTJ) because it has the holographic characters on it but couldn't get the original table out. There is no such problem in the POTF2 version. Why they felt the need to make the new one so secure is lost on me.

So I think ideally, if you have space, you should get both and you could display different figures outside and inside both Falcons. I've got the docking bay 94 Jabba scene going, two imperial scanning crewmen preparing to board with two VOTC stormtrooper guards standing by the loading ramp, the lightsaber training scene, an injured Luke bespin clutching his arm etc.

Rogue II
07-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the input. The OTC version is still at one of the TRU near me (still at $55) and the POTF2 version seems to be going fairly cheap on Ebay. We did see the OTC version on sale at KB a couple months ago for $40something, but decided to pass. I didn't know about the upcoming TRU exclusive...maybe I'll just wait to see what that one looks like.

Kidhuman
07-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Well, If TRU is going to get an exclusive, then they might CLearance the OTC version rather soon, so you might catch a break.

DarkArtist
07-14-2005, 05:06 PM
What's going to be so exclusive about it that it warrants another run. I have the Vintage, POTF and the OTC. Enough is Enough already there are so many other ships that hasbro could be making for us.......Cloud Car anyone, Grievous starfighter etc
I will definately pass on this exclusive :rolleyes:

Slicker
07-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Enough is Enough already there are so many other ships that hasbro could be making for us.......Cloud Car anyone, Grievous starfighter etc
I will definately pass on this exclusive :rolleyes:Yeah, but they don't have a mold of Grievous Starfighter just laying around to rehash.

Kidhuman
07-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Well, they need to make a mold then.

ROTJLuke
07-15-2005, 03:24 AM
The OTC one looks great, I have the POTF2 one, and I dont really have any complaints, for the time that it came out ,it was great, but this is a different era, so Id say go for OTC...

Devo
07-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Well, they need to make a mold then.

I'd be for Dooku's Solar Sail ship myself. Its not a huge vehicle but no doubt Hasbro would scale it down twice as much as is necessary.

DarkArtist
07-15-2005, 11:14 AM
I know they don't have the molds for ships that haven't been built yet but this is the time to start making them. Instead of wasting the time, energy and plastic start production on a new fleet of ships and playsets.
in a couple of years the line is going to start to die and people are going to lose interest in it. When that happens then rerelease ships like the falcon and the x-wing along with older characters like Luke, Han and Leia, at least then a new generation can become interested in it and the line can grow again.

Devo
07-15-2005, 08:07 PM
I know they don't have the molds for ships that haven't been built yet but this is the time to start making them. Instead of wasting the time, energy and plastic start production on a new fleet of ships and playsets.
in a couple of years the line is going to start to die and people are going to lose interest in it. When that happens then rerelease ships like the falcon and the x-wing along with older characters like Luke, Han and Leia, at least then a new generation can become interested in it and the line can grow again.

It seems as far as Hasbro is concerned any vehicle other than the primary goodie and baddie vehicles are a business gamble. I, a 23 year old collector, would lap up Dooku's solar sail ship but a young star wars toy noob relying on pocket money isn't going to start his collection with this ship. Unfortunately because of this little **** the majority of everyone else are forced to miss out - these being what in fact is the core audience for star wars toys - the mature collector - and also the 9 year olds who started their collection at 7, who fair play to them actually have an attention span, and who now have the Millenium Falcon and the TIE fighter and are, like us, sat wondering why there isn't anything else out there. Hasbros mindset right now seems to be geared towards drawing in 'new' fans moreso than satisfying existing fans.

Slicker
07-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Pics of the "new" Falcon

Front (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=3651&text=&imageid=16194&box=&shownew=)
Back (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=3651&text=&imageid=16196&box=&shownew=)

I like it. It's something new and different.

ROTJLuke
07-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Indeed, its a change and you can see how it grew from the "olden" days of POTF2...man, if Im thinkin "olden days" are POTF2 era, what about you guys who grew up with the original POTF? lol, I remember seeing the actual falcon from that era about 12 years ago. Me and my buddy would play with his (much) older brothers vintage SW toys.

Rogue II
09-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Ok, I managed to get the OTC Falcon on clearance for $30. ...and there was much rejoicing. Yeah! I am a little disappointed on how the figures fit in the cockpit, but I guess I'll live.

Before I dig through a couple boxes to find the chess table that came with the POTJ Chewbacca, does it fit or should I just use the one that came with the ship?

Slicker
09-02-2005, 10:09 PM
I know for a fact that the POTJ Chess Table that came with Chewie fits in the POTF 2 Falcon as I don't yet have the OTC one. I think the innards are tooled exactly the same so it should fit.

Rogue II
09-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Well, that was quick. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll start the dig.

Reefer Shark
09-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Target had a huge clearance on the OTC Falcon around here earlier this year. I ended up getting one for $12.98! :shocked:

Kidhuman
09-02-2005, 11:07 PM
I got my OTC one for ten bucks at WM earlier this year. These will be around for awhile at TRU

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-03-2005, 01:19 PM
As far as the Dejarik table goes, the one in the OTC Falcon is screwed down, and there's a sticker that goes over it. So, if you want to remove the table and replace the one that came with Chewie, you'll have to ruin the sticker first. This is, IMO, the only (and I do mean ONLY) place where the POTF2 Falcon is better.

Slicker
09-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Well, I guess that clears it up Rogue. Sorry if I made you go and dig up the Chewie. I didn't realize that they'd change such a trivial item in the Falcon.

Rogue II
09-03-2005, 05:37 PM
No harm done. I haven't put the sticker on the table that came with the OTC Falcon yet. I realized that once I put the sticker on, I'd be stuck with it.

Now that I dug out Chewie's table, it only fits in there one way, and it doesn't leave R2 much space. I guess I'll leave that one in there for now.