PDA

View Full Version : Luke on Taun Taun and Darth Maul

Hellboy
07-14-2005, 05:36 PM
2 of GG's new offerings being shown at the SDCC. A 7" Luke Skywalker on Taun Taun and a 1/6 scale Darth Maul statue. I think both of these look sweet. :cool:

The 7" scale figures with beasts/vehicles are shaping up to be some of the best products GG puts out IMO. The Snow base on the Luke Taun Taun looks great, very reminiscent of the sand dune base that comes with the Dewback and Sandtrooper. The only thing is it makes me wish they would have made a forest base to accompany the upcoming 7" Scout Trooper w/ Speeder Bike statue. Oh well, that piece still looks amazing.

I love the fact that GG is supporting all of their lines pretty equally.

What do you guys think?

gsr-jedi
07-14-2005, 09:01 PM
They both look awesome, I can't wait to get to San Diego to check them out in person as well as the Fett statue.

Hellboy
07-14-2005, 09:36 PM
A few more detailed pics of Maul.

darko666
07-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Darth Maul looks amazing. he is a must for my Darth Maul collection. thanks for posting the pics.

Jayspawn
07-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks for posting the pics Hellboy! Both Statues look incredible! I'll be getting both of them for sure. I cant wait till GG releases the press photos for them.

Turbowars
07-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Both of of them are a must have. Did you guys notice the no picture taking of the items on the bottom of the pics in the 1st post? LOL kind of funny.

Reefer Shark
07-15-2005, 10:52 PM
I agree, they both look awesome! I don't collect the GG 7" line, so I'm gonna have to pass on Luke/Taun Taun.

I will be pre-ordering that Maul as soon as it's available though, it's gonna look great next to the GG Vader statue!

Jayspawn
08-06-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm writing both of these statues along with Boba Fett into my 2006 budget. The final products are not to be missed.

JimJamBonds
08-06-2005, 11:09 PM
They look pretty cool to me too! :)

2-1B
08-08-2005, 04:32 AM
I want the Tauntaun, it's sweet. Meh on the Maul, I'm just not that into him. Turbs, I noticed the same thing in Chicago, a few displays had the No Pics sign because they are unfinalized prototypes . . . the GG staff didn't seem concerned with enforcing it. lol

Jayspawn
08-08-2005, 10:29 AM
I think Darth Maul is an underrated character, I didnt realize it until I went to Celebration III that he has quite a following. I cant wait till GG releases the promotional pictures so we can see the detail better. But I'm really excited about these!

Hellboy
08-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Okay, it might be the use of the camera's flash and I know these are prototype pics but did any of you guys notice that Maul's Sith eyes appear to be absent?

After seeing Anakin's eyes go Sith and then rerturn to normal in ROTS I've wondered if Maul's eyes did the same thing at some point. :Ponder:

Jayspawn
08-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Anakin's eyes were doing that, then they stayed yellow.

Hellboy
08-26-2005, 11:06 PM
A new pic of the Tauntaun has surfaced. Really diggin' this piece. :thumbsup:

Jayspawn
08-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Thats an awesome pic Hellboy, great detail on the Tauntaun. I'd like to see a closeup of Luke's face though -GG has all my confidence anyways.

Jedi_Mike
09-11-2005, 03:14 PM
The Darth Maul statue just doesn't do it for me....I can't put my finger on why....The Luke Statue though looks amazing I'll definitely be picking this one up!

MooMooEgg
10-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Ive always been confused why no one makes a large scale version of the cloud city luke with the tan jumpsuit from ESB... Id love to see GG tackle that piece, and I'd be first on line to get one.

I agree that maul is definately underrated, mainly because he wasnt used properly in episode I. He was just as menacing as vader (probably moreso when you factor in his dueling abilities). Its just that he didnt have any good lines, and he was killed off. I would have much rather have seen him in episode II or III instead of Jango or Dooku.

I like the maul statue, although it isnt as elegant or seemingly dangerous as the attakus maul. Guess its a trade off for having the activated saber :)

Hellboy
10-05-2005, 05:08 PM
I like the maul statue, although it isnt as elegant or seemingly dangerous as the attakus maul. Guess its a trade off for having the activated saber :)

I agree. I have the Attakus Maul and really love the pensive stance and the fact that his saber isn't activated. The GG piece is really nice but the more I look at it the more I wish they would've gone with a more relaxed looking robe. After GG's Vader statue you have to wonder if all of their 1/6 scale statues with capes/robes will have the wind blown look. :rolleyes:

Jayspawn
10-11-2005, 11:52 AM
I was checking out some more pictures of the Luke on Tauntaun Statue and I know I wont be able to pass it up. I'll probably get Darth Maul too. Amazon.com usually has the Statues for a good price, thats where I got my C-3O and Vader Statues from.

Jayspawn
10-11-2005, 11:58 AM
The Biker Scout Statue is about to be released, who all is getting one?

I was going to pass on this one, but i keep thinking of the one I saw at C3 and how impressed I was with it.

Hellboy
10-11-2005, 02:04 PM
I've got the Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike pre-ordered and am very excited for that one. I just wish GG would've used an environment base like they did with the Tauntaun (Hoth) and Dewback (Tatooine). Oh well it still looks amazing.

I'll most likely wait to pick up Luke on Tauntaun and Darth Maul on eBay. I'm guessing that these will be available at less than retail since GG seems to have raised production #'s accross the board. As an example I picked up all three of GG's previous 1/6 statues this way and payed $155 for Vader, $128 for Chewy and $92 for C-3PO which saved me a total of $175 off retail. :pleased:

Hellboy
12-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Both of these statues have now been pushed back to March and the edition size has been set at 4000 pieces for Luke on Tauntaun.

Jayspawn
12-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Yeah I just heard that they got pushed back. Thats ok, it rives my cc a little down time to rest.

Hellboy
12-16-2005, 07:57 PM
"In late September, early October, Gentle Giant announced the next release in the 12 inch statue line, Darth Maul. In efforts to give all the collectors worldwide a chance to own the most feared Sith, we are proud to announce the release of an International Edition version. This Darth Maul statue will have a more limited run with 2000 pieces, on top of the Darth Maul releasing in the US with a run of 3000 pieces. The International Edition Darth Maul statue depicts the menacing Sith ready to take revenge on the Jedi. "

So the only difference between the two statues is the International version doesn't have the cloak. The thing that sucks is I think I like Maul better without the billowing cloak. To bad the International version isn't being sold to US distributors. :(

Reefer Shark
12-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Huh, that's interesting. This makes me wonder, does GG usually not sell to international distributors?

I'll be happy with the cloaked version, but I wish they would've done him with the hood up. GG is the only company that would make it look right.

Jayspawn
12-17-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm happy with the cloaked version also. The International version is cool but I'm happy either way.

Darth Instigator
01-06-2006, 02:57 AM
DO you guys think it would be good to pre-order one now, as I really want one of these. I am concerned about the supply of them and if there will be any or will the price go up after release? I hate paying so much only to find out I could have saved later on? I really want this statue though, thanks for any insight.

Jayspawn
01-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Pre-ordering is always a good idea. I've not preordered either of these 2 statues yet -but will be doing soon. The price on the secondary market might go up, then it might not. It could go down too, hard to say on these. The Dewback and Sandtrooper Statue went up a lot. The Vader a little. The C-3PO and Chewbacca Statues kind of go up and down.

I got my Vader and C-3PO Statues for an awesome price on Amazon.com. I'll probably go with them for the Luke and Maul statues.

Darth Instigator
01-06-2006, 03:42 PM
ok, good to know, thanks.

Hellboy
01-10-2006, 03:54 PM
DO you guys think it would be good to pre-order one now, as I really want one of these. I am concerned about the supply of them and if there will be any or will the price go up after release? I hate paying so much only to find out I could have saved later on? I really want this statue though, thanks for any insight.

I think the production numbers are high enough on this piece that you shouldn't have a problem getting one without pre-ordering. I try to only pre-order items that have very limited production runs (under 1500) because they almost always show up on eBay well below retail. Here are a few examples of what I paid for past releases.

-Chewbacca: 3000 pieces/retailed for $185/bought on eBay for $128
-Darth Vader: 7500 pieces/retailed for $200/bought on eBay for $145
-C-3PO: 3000 pieces/retalied for $165/bought on eBay for $92

Thats a savings of $185, enough for another statue. With GG increasing their production numbers accross the board I'm expecting all of their upcoming releases to follow a similar pattern.