PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro's most irrational/confounding/infuriating toy decisions

Devo
07-14-2005, 05:10 PM
We've had a flood of 'what can Hasbro possibly be thinking?' decisions of late - notably the rehash of Millenium Falcon carry case Wedge Antilles (by fan request apparently) and a number of the 'new' figures for the ROTS line. So I've decided to start this thread in which we can list any and all of Hasbro's most annoying foul-ups, past and present, which are symptomatic of the 'anything will do them' attitude they seemingly have right now.

Basically its a complaints thread, Hasbro/Star Wars toys-related, covering anything from why we got a rehash instead of a new figure, wierd pack-in decisions, ill-advised figure choices, absurd and inappropriate accessories, nonsensical fixed poses, our present lack of some really obvious figures and vehicles, packaging decisions, figures intended for fitting in vehicles - and not fitting in the vehicles etc.

I'll start with this one: The ROTS Clone pilot comes with a rehashed radar dish accessory..... :confused: ...why? Did I take a toilet break during the scene with a clone pilot manning a missile-firing radar dish? Words cannot express how much more logical it would have been to include the gunship beam weapon that came with the AOTC pilot figure. Why wasn't it? Are we really meant to scour the internet to buy more gunship pilots just to get the guns for our latest repainted Republic Gunship? Poor.

DarkArtist
07-14-2005, 08:01 PM
ROTS Kenobi with the AOTC lightsaber, WTF I mean a decent figure that had potential to recreate a great scene and now it's over

ROTS Mace Windu another mistake that could have been great if it came with the agen kolar cloak and removable arm.

ROTJLuke
07-15-2005, 02:36 AM
Where is the DSII Jedi Luke weve all wanted? You gave us that horrible Throne Room Duel one thinking that it would make up for the demands, and it just made them worse and more frequent. I think I speak for the general masses of SW collectors when they say they want a collector friendly version of Luke in his most epic battle. Hell, look at my info, print it out, or save it, and look at that and a picture of Mark Hamil in that scene and crank that figure out. I myself will by at least 4, and I know everyone will buy at least one. This is a jackpot of a figure, which will sell out of stores like hot cakes. I hope you tell us later on today at CC you have this figure planned for release. If not, Ill be devastated (hell, my name is ROTJLuke) and I think many others will be also...so PLEASE HASBRO, MAKE MY DEATH STAR II LUKE SKYWALKER JEDI KNIGHT FIGURE, AND I PROMISE YOU ILL NEVER EVER COMPLAIN AGAIN!!

Captain Spoon
07-15-2005, 08:17 AM
LMAO!!! I knew whent I saw this thread there would be the cry for DS2 Luke!! haha anyway

Jedi need robes end of story, If you are not going to make them with robes don't make them.
No more action features almost every figure should be made SA (this might also solve the figure fitting in ship error)

I want an Obi 1 Evolution pack but with 5 figures (episode 1 through spirit obi)
I am a big fan of new charaters we don't have yet so I want figures of all of the Solo kids and characters from KOTOR, man that was a great game

jedi master sal
07-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Commander Frickin' CODY!

Clone Pilot in Jedi Assault pack??? And to boot a non-hooded Anakin/Vader???

Crap just crap. Face it Hasbro, you screwed up on this set. Here's hoping it sells for $20 or LESS!!!

How about just plain getting movie accurate figures?
White clone? I like them, but we never saw all white ones in the movie. Certainly not enough that they would over shadow the Utapau clones. Or Jedi Temple Assault clones (thanks for making BTW, but you still screwed up the paint deco)
Barc speeder pilot is not a Kashyyyk Clone trooper! The Target clone is close to the correct BARC pilot, but even there the helmet is W. R. O. N. G. WRONG!
BTW, if you're goig to make the wrong pilot then why not make him poseable so we could at least use him for the Kashyyyk scenes? (Or better yet single card him)
General Grievous is TOO SMALL!!! (Have you guys even seen the movie???)
Commander Bacara is not SA? WTF. If you could make a close one with #6 clone and a better one with #41, then why not for Bacara?
Battle Droids and Super Battle droids...better grade plastic so they can stand WITHOUT the bases, please. Some of us don't like the bases and would rather have you spend movie on better figs than bases.
If we got a Luminara then why not a Barris Offee? We got a Barris as a 12incher...odd, very odd.
AT-TE Gunner?? Okay, so fine make him, then where's our damn AT-TE to put him in? Huh? HUh HUH?

Gawd I could go on and on. What stinks about all of this is even with all of these flaws, it's still one of the better years for collecting. (What does that say about previous years though...use your own imagination.)

Alright, I've started a good rant, who wants to step up to the plate next?

Devo
07-15-2005, 06:14 PM
I will gladly return to the fray Jedi master sal!!

The AOTC airspeeders could have been made fully to scale with the figures (and not been a great deal bigger than they are now). Would it really have made a harmful impact on price? I hate that even vehicles for which movie accurate scale is feasible invariably get downsized. Zam wessells speeder is tiny and if you can get the figure in at all she has to lie flat with her face looking up at the roof rather than threw the front windscreen - ridiculous. theres no point putting her in there at all. Meanwhile 2 figures can just about squeze in the Anakin speeder but its hardly a comfortable fit - again it didn't need to be that way. A few millimetres of extra width and length for heavens sake.

POTJ x-wing Luke's feminine pose and buck teeth.

POTF2 Lak sivrak and Lobot - 'action' poses?? :confused:

Both Lobot figures are taller than whatever Bespin Lando you pick...I'm not a very observant guy at the best of times but I know for certain that Lando is TALLER than Lobot!!! Come ON!!!!! :frus:

Saga Barris Offee's robe - it looks to me like its defying physics with all that billowing

ROTS Luminara Unduli has ball-jointed shoulders and swivel elbows and wrists - great, it means both arms can be in a sabre holding position or be down by her sides.
ROTS Shaak Ti has ball-jointed shoulders and 2 swivel points on the right arm but nothing else on the left arm - it is therefore stuck in a 90 degree sabre holding position - why? :confused: What had you got against Shaak Ti's left arm??
ROTS Aayla Secura has ball jointed shoulders and swivel wrists but a swivel bicep on only one arm...again why? Why not give the other arm a swivel bicep too if you're going to go to the trouble at all? It defies logic.

Saga Secret Ceremony Anakin - don't call it that when you have him in an inappropriate stance and a billowing cape. The pose and hanging of his cape should have been completely neutral for this scene. And the ankle joints look stupid quite frankly - they don't match up with overall positioning of his legs.

Anakin's swoopbike pack-in figure - why does he look like he's forcing out a log??!!!?? And we could have done with a billowing cape here, where is it? Bit of a mix-up there wasn't there?

This is going back a bit but, beefiness aside, 1995 Basic Han Solo's pose was utterly laughable even for the time.

dr_evazan22
07-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Star Wars Choppers?!?!?!?!?!?!

Someone was high when they thought it up, and also the erpson that approved it.

Darth Alex
07-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Star Wars Choppers?!?!?!?!?!?!

Someone was high when they thought it up, and also the erpson that approved it.

I...give up.
I know kids need......entertainment, but making the CHOPPERS when all I want is a bloody Cloud Car for the 3 3/4"...

ROTJLuke
07-22-2005, 10:00 AM
I would also really like a Jedi Evolutions pack, that focuses on PT jedi. You gave us some great jedi, but I (along with many) want SA versions of Mace Windu, Qui-Gon Jinn, and Obi-Wan. However, instead of Obi being the last, Mace would be. Qui-Gon from ep.I,Obi from ep.II, and a SA Mace with soft goods cloak from ep.III. If you really wanna know what we need...just look below...:rolleyes: :D

Turbowars
08-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Every single decision that Hasbro makes is based on $. I think most of us here know that, but really Hasbro, the guy that you are paying to make these decisions is a rookie. I'd say 50% of the time you have a clue and right after I think you have more then you prove to me that you don't.

Right now Hasbro is spreading themselves out too thin with all these tangent lines of toys. Hasbro need to focus on 2-3 SW toys lines and that's that. That's just my uniformed opinion.;)

Kidhuman
08-18-2005, 12:19 AM
If they make it, we will buy it. SO why the F**K arent they making it?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-18-2005, 11:48 AM
For the Cloud Car, all they really need to do is re-release the vintage one with a better paintjob. It really wouldn't be that hard.

The final 12 ROTS figures could've used a little work. Re-releasing the Neimoidian Warrior with a slightly different paintjob and a new gun is stupid as hell. The current one is clogging the pegs everywhere!!! The Wookiees are also stupid. None of them were black and none of them had a shirt. If you had kitbashed other Wookiees instead, that would have been ten times better than this crap we're getting. And, Plo Koon was always sitting when he was a holograph, but this new one won't be able to due to his cloak.

And what's with the holographs suddenly not having any color again? While I don't think every holograph should be as colorful as the Luke from 2004, they should at least look like the Darth Sidious holograph from 1999. Which is interesting anyway, since that particular character in the film didn't have any color besides blue. So, look at the damn movie to see if the hologram needs any extra color, then do the figure.

And enough with the stupid holographic Palpatines already! The ROTS one is stupid since he never appeared as lifesize a hologram after he was scarred, only as one bigger than reality. You should've made another holograph figure, as there are many, many other holo figures that need to be made. Or, if there is some weird need for Palpatine holographs, then re-release the Darth Sidious I mentioned above.

jedi master sal
10-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Okay, right now, I'm saying the CASE assortments are frickin' stupid!
Since it seems the first 7 were released together then the next 5, here's how I'd have broken them up.

3X 57 Commander Bly
1X 58 Wookiee Commando
3X 59 Commander Gree
1X 60 Grievous Bodyguard
1X 61 Passel Argente
1X 62 Cat Miin
1X 63 Neimoidian Commander
(Then take you pic of whatever one gets the left over one)

3X 64 R4-P17
4X 65 Tactical Ops Trooper (501st)
2X 66 Plo Koon (Hologram)
2X 67 Aayla Secura (Hologram)
1X 68 Wookiee Heavy Gunner

Now if I had the opportunity to make the assortments from all 12, it would look something like this:
Army building case:
3X 57 Commander Bly
3x 59 Commander Gree
6X 65 Tactical Ops Trooper (501st)

Minor Army builder case:
3X 58 Wookiee Commando
3X 60 Grievous Bodyguard
3X 63 Neimoidian Commander
3X 68 Wookiee Heavy Gunner

Background Characters Wave
2X 61 Passel Argente
2X 62 Cat Miin
4X 64 R4-P17
2X 66 Plo Koon (Hologram)
2X 67 Aayla Secura (Hologram)

The way I see these are this, decent distribution among characters and if you wanted to buy a case fo these, you wouldn't be stuck with ones you didn't want, especially if you went in on a case with one or two other people.

The clones would be an extremely easy sell. The minor characters would be a good case to go in with 2 other people (noone gets screwed with more than one of the repaints). And the Background characters wave, would be a good case for you and a buddy. Only the Droid would be the extra and considering their relative popularity you wouldn't be stuck with them for long.

For myself, it would be perfect because I'd want one of each carded and the rest to open for scene building. Also, it would get me to buy more figs than I now have planned, PLUS I'd still be out to get more Blue Clones. Hasbro would win big with collectors/retailers etc. Of course the clone wave would be shipped a bit heavy, the minor builders relative small quantities, and then the background figs somewhere in the middle given the case distribution.

As the clones use previous molds, they could have tehm ready to go for more of the wave as a refresh OR use the molds for other clones we want (From the movie). IE Cody's clones and a retooled mold for Cody himself.

Okay, I'm rambling. I could go on for hours about cases and clones...

-Sal

Bobby Fett
10-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Unleashed Asajj Ventress!

Here is the only character we've seen that ROUTINELY uses two lightsabers. On this toy she appears to be holding two miniature rocket engines, blasting off for parts unknown!

Secondly, the pose looks like she belongs on the bow of an old sailing ship!

Why didn't we get a real action pose with lightsabers prominently in use?

:tired:

niktom
10-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Why on earth are all the new Galactic Heros (and most of the new Jedi Force line) either repaints or repacks?!??!?!?!?

These are purchased for my son and honestly he has enough of the same figures.

I can understand repainting the clones, but at least put them together or in two packs like the stormtroopers. Not packed with figs we already have. I understand you guys are out to make money but that does not mean totally ripping us off!

Also, how about making some basic figure that can be played with. I have started buying my son the vintage kenner line ( yea, you heard me the nearly 30 year old toys) to play with! ... why? Because they last and can be played with!

Thats just sad that you are already killing the Galactic Hero and Jedi Force line the way you have destroyed the basic figure line and it's appauling that a brand new figure can only be played with for about 5 minutes before breaking.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Cruise Missle Trooper WTF?!

You all remember this monstrosity don't you? And where on earth did they come up with it and WHY?? It's kinda like the Holiday Special for Lucas!

niktom
10-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Cruise Missle Trooper WTF?!

You all remember this monstrosity don't you? And where on earth did they come up with it and WHY?? It's kinda like the Holiday Special for Lucas!

I think monstrosity describes nearly all the first run delux figs from POTF2

El Chuxter
10-20-2005, 04:30 PM
And yet, as the Force Battlers show, Hasbro still has a disturbing fixation on packaging musclebound Tatooine Lukes with weird skateboards. :)

bigbarada
07-24-2006, 12:48 AM
I have a couple of rants, mainly the head on the VTSC Endor Han. It's clearly a retooled version of the VOTC Han Solo. Which is annoying because he still has the ANH hairstyle, not his silly 80s ROTJ hairstyle. A figure that I was really looking forward too, but was disappointed with.

VTSC Luke X-Wing: why does he have Vader's lightsaber hilt? Is it because that is what the vintage figure had? I don't think anyone is nostalgic for Kenner's old mistakes. Plus Luke's neck is way too thin, making it look like he's been partially decapitated.

VTSC Greedo: If you were going to do a soft-goods vest, then why use felt?:confused: Why not use a material that more closely resembles Greedo's actual vest.

The original VOTC line really set the bar for quality; however Hasbro seems to have cut a lot of corners with some of the figures this time around.

At least they got the Biker Scout right.

figrin bran
07-24-2006, 09:38 AM
VTSC Greedo: If you were going to do a soft-goods vest, then why use felt?:confused: Why not use a material that more closely resembles Greedo's actual vest.

i actually liked the felt vest but for those that don't, the commtech greedo's vest fits on vtsc greedo. granted, it's a bit tight but it fits nonetheless.

jedi master sal
07-24-2006, 09:47 AM
2-pack Comic figures?? STUPID!!! Only a SMALL amount of people will buy these, that really want them.

Okay, I'm a fan of clones, this is known, but enough with the damned non-movie clones.

SDCC announced Snowtrooper: Still has WRONG shoulder pads, despite the cool Jango Head and helmet.

Okay, I dig the Imperial officers set, BUT why the hell don't they have articulate knees?? After all the scene these guys are MOST famous for is one in which they are seated! Yes, we'll buy them, but what a lost opportunity from you Hasbro. Cutting TOO many corners, if you ask me.

Camoflauge Super Battle drids and regular batle droids?? Ridiculous!!

I've got more, but I better let someone else have a turn.

Banthaholic
07-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Okay, I dig the Imperial officers set, BUT why the hell don't they have articulate knees?? After all the scene these guys are MOST famous for is one in which they are seated! Yes, we'll buy them, but what a lost opportunity from you Hasbro. Cutting TOO many corners, if you ask me.

As excited as I am for this set, this has me really wondering as well. I'll pay $5-$10 extra on the cost to have sitting officers.

One thing I disn't get is why they released 2 Hoth Vaders per case during the UGH promotion. I still see a Target and Wal-mart with nothing but Hoth Vaders. These stores are basically ruined until year end clearance. All because of poor case assortment. Sure kids buy them, but not 19 of them.

Why no love for playsets? The R & D you put into the choppers could have given us a somehting to satisfy us. And they claim that their is no market, yet they haven't released a Decent playset in the modern line. Give us something worth buying, and I know I will support it.

figrin bran
07-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Sal, i forget in which thread but i wrote something about how the green clones that are coming were actually supposed to be what the utapau clones looked like. at some point during late post production, they got changed to orange so from the proverbial certain point of view, this particular color of clone is a movie concept clone. ;)

jedi master sal
07-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Sal, i forget in which thread but i wrote something about how the green clones that are coming were actually supposed to be what the utapau clones looked like. at some point during late post production, they got changed to orange so from the proverbial certain point of view, this particular color of clone is a movie concept clone. ;)

And as I responded to you in that thread I know that. But we are talking about over a year after the movie has come out.

Concept is closer to movie than say the shadow ops trooper, but still...

Also, anyone else notice that the battle damage is EXACTLY the same as the Utapau trooper? So all Hasbro did was change the paint well from orange to green. Granted the Utapau trooper is very cool, but come on. Are they THAT lazy that they can't even come up with a different battle damage pattern??

Again, yes I'll get some of that clones because I'm a clone hound. But only a squad's worth. NOTHING like the amount I got for the REAL Utapau trooper.

I also don't like how Hasbro was "tooling" around with us and saying we were not going to get the other Commandos next year, when they new it would be THIS year. I'm happy to get the set, but very much disappointed that the knees and ankles are still not going to be articulated. Also note how Scorch's "T" visor is different than the others. Couldn't they have at least made his the same too?? This would at the least differentiate if you had the single carded version or not. Besides he just looks out of place next to his Pod brothers. So I'm going to be forced to customize the visor so he fits in better. I know that's small and seems trivial to people, but it's that attention to detail that Hasbro is clearly overlooking. Again CUTTING CORNERS!

A little touch like making Scorch's T visor match would have helped. Now it only adds fuel by them not fixing it in relation to the other Commandos.

Bah, the more I think about those tins the more I'm thinking I'm NOT going to buy them and just bid on the one figure I want from a couple of the on eBay. Yes undoubtedly I'll pay more money per one figure that way, but I won't bid anywhere near what the cost of the actual whole tin costs.

This mens instead of Hasbro getting my money, someone else will. You lose Hasbro. Sure you got the initial sale from the first person who bought it, but drop those tins to $15 and I would have scooped them up. The proposed price of $25 per tin is ludicrous. For what? A tin (which does NOT cost that much to produce, and don't let them fool you into believing they do-I know because I'm in the printing business) and then two figures after that, one of which is a rehash??

I don't know who Hasbro has bid out the job to to manufacture and print those tins, but it's still too much or Hasbro is just marking them up that much.

I truly hope this price of $25 is a joke because I see these things warming shelves. And since they are BIGGER products than single carded figs, that's NOT going to make retailers happy. (Or was this a WM exclusive-meh even then)

The more and more I think about it, I AM going to save at least some money the latter half of the year. Well at least on Hasbro stuff anyway. Too much rehashed crap. Especially that it's mixed in with new stuff so you're forced to buy the old stuff to get the one good gem in the tin/multipack/whatever. Not for me anymore. I don't advocate buying from eBay, but it looks like I'm going to go that route in light of Hasbro's marketing scheme. I'd rather pay $10 for the one figure I want than $25 for a tin and a figure I don't' want, just to get the one I do want. I know that fuels scalpers. So be it. Hasbro is the one to blame here. If the retail price was reasonable then I wouldn't at all look to the secondary market. Huh, perhaps I'll just wait until these clearance... (Both of those things are not going to help the hobby either, but it's something I think more and more of us are doing. I just have the cajones to say it out loud.)

Those two practices I have never practiced before this year. In fact really still don't, but WILL when I see these things on the shelves.

We did tell them to get rid of the ridiculous lines like choppers, Jedi Force, Force Battlers and they did. But now they've replaced them with gimmicky parts to the 3 3/4 line.

JUST SINGLE CARD THESE FIGURES HASBRO. We are all getting tired of buying REHASHED crap. We no longer have the room, nor the desire to get old crap!

And you've got to be kidding me if you think there are enough "new" fans that are going to go hunting for stuff like we do. Yes there are some exceptions but not enough to justify some of these rehashes. I don't recall ANYONE looking for a Labria, Kabe or Kittik in the fan choice poll for instance.

If you truly ARE listening to us, then LISTEN. READ, SEE what we are talking about. What we desire, what we keep saying over and over again AD NASEUM as to what we buy and would like to buy.

COUGH--

AT-TE
SITH INFILTRATOR
KOTOR FIGURES (and not that POS Revan-give us a deluxe Revan with multiple head swaps in one package and then you've got something there.)
ROTJ SA JEDI LUKE

COUGH--

To name just a few things for example.

At first I was giddy over some of the stuff coming out. Now I see it for what it's worth. My excitement has indeed be squelched.

Huh, it's funny but I never was a proponent for SSC, but was enthralled by the 12inch Jabba AND the Dias and Salacious sets. See Hasbro...they got $375 of my money in an instant. That could have been yours, but you still choose to make dumb marketing decisions.

No wonder GG is getting more of my money lately.
With no less than 10 mini-busts I have on pre-order right now (could be more) that's over $500 they are getting and NOT YOU.

Hmm, come to think about it, I've got about $200 wrapped up in MR pre-orders too...

See where I'm going Hasbro. I never had wanted to be a higher end collector, but your lack of imagination, lack of listening, REALLY listening to your customers has driven me to these others manufacturers.

So from those examples above that's $1000 you've lost from just me.

I used to buy between $5-6K of your stuff per year. That got trimmed this year and I see more trimming coming. Unless you start to put out what we have longed asked for, and stop making it seem like you are throwing us a bone, then you ARE going to and already have lost some of my business.

Multiply that buy the number of collectors here and on the other major collecting site. Can YOU really afford to lose us??

Would there be such a big to-do about San Diego Comicon or Toy Fair regarding your SW products if it wasn't for the likes of this and other sites covering the news?? You know the answer to that.

Quit treating us like the metaphorical red-headed step-child. Many of us are grown men and women with educations, good jobs, etc. Some have gone on to have families whose kids get your stuff to. We are the ones who have the money for your stuff, we are the ones ASKING for this stuff. Some of us may yet fill those stereotypes you have of geek fanboys, what's wrong with that. But there are also those of us who have gone on to become doctors, scientists, artists, businessmen and women. We're hardly the uneducated rabble you seem to make us out to be. Yet we are the ones you mock with tasteless jokes like the Yarna and Hood fiasco.

On that note I call for the resignation or firing of the person or people responsible for that. That was a HUGE slap in the face to us.

Okay, tirade number two over. Who's next?

Droid
07-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Some of us may yet fill those stereotypes you have of geek fanboys, what's wrong with that. But there are also those of us who have gone on to become doctors, scientists, artists, businessmen and women. We're hardly the uneducated rabble you seem to make us out to be. Yet we are the ones you mock with tasteless jokes like the Yarna and Hood fiasco.

On that note I call for the resignation or firing of the person or people responsible for that. That was a HUGE slap in the face to us.

Preach it!

They are not only looking the gift horse in the mouth they are trying to turn it into glue. I can't remember such a ridiculous giving of the finger to customers since New Coke.

El Chuxter
07-25-2006, 09:07 AM
You guys are way misinterpreting this, I think. Combine that list with the promise of at least ten figures from the poll, and I think Yarna's a shoo-in, with Willrow a distinct possibility.

They know they have to do something to keep this afloat for 11 more years.

Rogue II
07-25-2006, 09:37 AM

Here is the problem I have with the way Hasbro does some articulation. Look at the Saga Endor Rebel Trooper or even the new Jerjerrod figure (there are many others, these are just the first two that come to mind). They both have shirts that block articulation. The Rebel's jacket pretty much negates his shoulder articulation. Jerjerrod's shirt hangs down low enough so that he can't bend legs at the hips. The Imperial Officers in this set look like they all have shirts similar to Jerjerrod's. So they have two other choices: Make them like the POTF2 Tarkin with the joints going through the shirt, or make them permanently seated. Either way, everyone would be complaining them. Right now I can't think of a figure that has had the shirt/jacket hanging down below the belt and isn't either like the POTF2 Tarkin or the lower part of the shirt blocks the hips. There may be one, I just can't think of it.

So why bother putting knee joints on him when he wouldn't be able to bend at the hips anyway?

figrin bran
07-25-2006, 10:03 AM
what Caesar usually says about agreeing with Chux.

jedi master sal
07-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Here is the problem I have with the way Hasbro does some articulation. Look at the Saga Endor Rebel Trooper or even the new Jerjerrod figure (there are many others, these are just the first two that come to mind). They both have shirts that block articulation. The Rebel's jacket pretty much negates his shoulder articulation. Jerjerrod's shirt hangs down low enough so that he can't bend legs at the hips. The Imperial Officers in this set look like they all have shirts similar to Jerjerrod's. So they have two other choices: Make them like the POTF2 Tarkin with the joints going through the shirt, or make them permanently seated. Either way, everyone would be complaining them. Right now I can't think of a figure that has had the shirt/jacket hanging down below the belt and isn't either like the POTF2 Tarkin or the lower part of the shirt blocks the hips. There may be one, I just can't think of it.

So why bother putting knee joints on him when he wouldn't be able to bend at the hips anyway?

Well, let's explore this. Notice the side split in Motti's outfit. If this plastic was made of more flexible material then the legs could easily bend, thereby making it possible to have them sit. Gone are the days of acceptance of figures with this lack of articulation. At the least knee joints! No real need for ankle joints here.

Someone else mentioned they'd pay an extra $5-10 for the set if this added articulation was done. I agree. At present I don't know how much the set costs, but since it's an exclusive I expect it to cost between $30-$50. If Hasbro would have included flexible plastic (for the bottom of the "shirts") and knees joints, I can see where this set could go for $45-60.

Yes, I'll still get the set, but as said before I'm not as excited about it as I would have been had they had scene appropriate articulation. The Imperial conference room is what this assemblage of characters is KNOWN for. In that they are SEATED period.

To be honest, I would have almost rather seen them permanantly affixed in a seated position in their chairs in a package that was a mini diorama. At least we would have had the chairs and the characters in the positions they were known for. All the chairs save Tarkin's were the same, so that could ahve easily been mass produced.

For me this shows Hasbro is only willing to do the least in many areas. They are faiiling us left and right. Had they stuck to basic articulation from back in the mid 1990, we would have nothing to compare to but other toy lines. They opened themselves up to criticism when they started making better figures and still reissued other figures in molds almost 10 years old and severely outdated.

Droid
07-25-2006, 11:47 AM
To be honest, I would have almost rather seen them permanantly affixed in a seated position in their chairs in a package that was a mini diorama. At least we would have had the chairs and the characters in the positions they were known for. All the chairs save Tarkin's were the same, so that could ahve easily been mass produced.

If they had all come permanently seated I think many people (including me) would have gone nuts. I don't like action features, but I do want action figures, not statues. I want them to have moving parts.

Droid
07-25-2006, 11:50 AM
You guys are way misinterpreting this, I think. Combine that list with the promise of at least ten figures from the poll, and I think Yarna's a shoo-in, with Willrow a distinct possibility.

They know they have to do something to keep this afloat for 11 more years.

I'm not misinterpreting a thing. Forget Yarna and Willrow for a second. Some people really want the "dead" figures. If Hasbro isn't going to make them, fine, I understand their reasoning on THAT point, but just state it. Don't tease your customers. Don't tell them you're listening and then openly mock them.

And returning to Yarna and Willrow, I'll believe they are making them when I see pictures of prototypes. All we have from Hasbro at the moment is their repeated statements that they don't want to make Yarna. Once again, no reason to tease or mock the people that keep you employed.

If they announced Yarna and Willrow today I would still think the "joke" was way out of line.

Maybe I should tell them I intend to buy one of every item they're selling this year, tell them April Fool's and spend my money on something else. How funny would that be?

Rogue II
07-25-2006, 12:26 PM
If the price is indeed in the $35-$40 range, it is lower than I expected. When I first saw the set, I instantly thought $45-$50.

Well, let's explore this. Notice the side split in Motti's outfit. If this plastic was made of more flexible material then the legs could easily bend, thereby making it possible to have them sit. Gone are the days of acceptance of figures with this lack of articulation. At the least knee joints! No real need for ankle joints here.

Sounds like the material from the clothing on my daughter's Polly Pockets. It might work. It's a soft rubber. But it is really hard to imagine it in any color other than the neon yellow and pink it from the girls line.:D The only problem is that it is a little bulky and I don't know how they would attach it. Anyway, it would cost Hasbro more money to do so it's probably unlikely (which ties into your last paragraph).

I think the first time I noticed this problem on any figure was one of the Tattooine Luke releases that can't fit into the landspeeder.

Wouldn't really bother me either, but people would still complain...

If they had all come permanently seated I think many people (including me) would have gone nuts. I don't like action features, but I do want action figures, not statues. I want them to have moving parts.

See? ;) They did it with the Final Duel Emperor. Having the chairs and table would be really nice. But not if they don't solve the hip/knee articulation problem.

For me this shows Hasbro is only willing to do the least in many areas. They are faiiling us left and right. Had they stuck to basic articulation from back in the mid 1990, we would have nothing to compare to but other toy lines. They opened themselves up to criticism when they started making better figures and still reissued other figures in molds almost 10 years old and severely outdated.

People have been asking for a Motti re-release, and now they got it. They have been asking for a ANH Tarkin reculpt, got that too. You are right that these guys don't need ankle joints. Without getting into the discussion of over-articulating figures, not ever figure needs to be super articulated. Judging from what I read about Hasbro's view towards the 7" Unleashed line, and the constant recycling of the various Jedi Starfighters, it amazes me we get as many new sculpts as we do. And, it also leads me to believe that this pack wouldn't have happened if they had to re-sculpt all of the lower bodies. A new head and paint is one thing, but not coming up with a new way to articulate figures. It's not that I'm defending Hasbro, they've just lowered my standards so that this is what expect from them. It always "this is great, but..." Look at the reviews for the new Sandtrooper or VSTC Biker Scout.

By the way, did anyone figure out which version of Vader is this coming with?

Kidhuman
07-25-2006, 01:18 PM
All you guys are forgetting something about this exclusive. Its a Diamond exclusive. They raped us on the Sandcrawler price, what makes you think this set is any different, 60 bucks for it. Mark my words.

El Chuxter
07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
They had the retail price on the card (info card, not packaging) with the figures. I believe it said the price was $29.99, which would be a steal.

Kidhuman
07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Wow, that would be an awesome price.

jedi master sal
07-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Wow, that would be an awesome price.
Heh heh, I'd rather quote your previous post in this thread...

How does one order from Diamond anyway?? I got my Sandcrawler through Media Play.

I guess I must just be getting old with all the btchn and complaining. I expect more for my hard earned dollars. Bad enough I have to trim down how many times I look for toys due to gas. Now I should accept sub-par product?

Meh, I made a promise to myself to stop collecting when I'm 40. That's just over 3 years away for me...

So far it looks like Hasbro is going to make that transition very easy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-25-2006, 04:36 PM
By the way, did anyone figure out which version of Vader is this coming with?

From the looks of it, it's the Masters of the Darkside Vader that was re-released in 2003 and a few times since then . . . I believe it was the ANH Vader in the OTC line, which was also re-released in limited numbers as part of the POTC line. It's a good choice for this set, since it's the ANH armor and his fingers are in the choking position.

Rogue II
07-25-2006, 04:44 PM
So far it looks like Hasbro is going to make that transition very easy.

Kind of depressing, isn't it? I know my day is coming, too. My collecting habbits only include OT figures, so I've gone many months during movie years not buying anything.

From the looks of it, it's the Masters of the Darkside Vader that was re-released in 2003 and a few times since then . . . I believe it was the ANH Vader in the OTC line, which was also re-released in limited numbers as part of the POTC line. It's a good choice for this set, since it's the ANH armor and his fingers are in the choking position.

Muchas gracias. That works out well for me since I skipped all of those Vaders you mentioned.

maatu
07-25-2006, 04:49 PM
i have know idea why it is taking hasbor this long to make figures that we as fans of the movies and collectors want.give us figures with super articulation. don't keep rehashing the same chewbacca and han solo. i want new versions of ha and luke in storm trooper gear. i see there coming with comic books. for some reason these figures will be screwed up somehow. chewie looks stupid with han solo.the color in the face is horrible for the wookie.
there are alot of figures already that i will pass on . i would like to see a votc jango fett and darth maul and obi won kenobi.
stop giving us the same ****ty remakes or rehashes.
you already screwed up with the 12 inch line and sideshow toys made your line look pathetic. now please correct the errors now before collectors move away from the line.

Devo
07-25-2006, 07:23 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think I've ever had one of my threads revived after a long absence before. Cheers BibBarada! :D

As to a few points that have been made since:

1}Yep its a shame that A) Jerrjerrod wasn't given knee articulation and by extension B) these new officers, apparently based off of Jerrjerrod, don't have knee articulation either. Of any officer figures it is all these ones that needed it. Only I doubt we'll see any entirely new Officer sculpts from here on I'd not be surprised if Hasbro gave Admiral Piett articulated knees when he never sat down or knelt in either ESB or Jedi! And I think knee articulation could have been achieved with these figures using ROTS Dooku or Evolutions Dooku as a model.

2}Yes I believe Hasbro's Yarna/ICMG joke falls under 'Irrational', 'confounding' and 'infuriating'. :mad: Relatively speaking this was like being given the news that your terminal bowel cancer had miraculously gone into remission - only to be told 'just f***in' with ye, its still there'...emphasis on relatively speaking.

3}Agree with Big Barada about VTSC Han - the head is crap. Someone else once rightly pointed out that with the higher price of these figures they should not be reusing parts from previous figures. They should be all new which would rule out using the VOTC head (which I was never impressed with anyway). On this figure the head is too small and as BigB stated the hairstyle is off considering its supposed to represent a ROTJ Han. I tried swapping for the Carbonite Han's head but that doesn't work for me either.

And a point of my own:

4}VTSC X-wing Luke is the best argument against Ball-joint necks I've ever seen. It looks ridiculous, particularly the hair at the back. Please stop Hasbro. Don't ruin DSII Luke with one of these. I don't understand why people complain about the arm joint on Admiral Motti which is really no more and no less intrusive to his sculpt than your average ball-joint neck. I long for a return to simple swivel heads.

Oh and one more thing - Rogue II, you said we were looking for an ANH Tarkin resculpt and we got it? No we didn't. Thats an ROTS Tarkin repaint. I know you may have been aware of that when you said what you said and so, for you, an ROTS repaint may have been enough - but not for me. The head is about the right shape but thats it. The facial likeness doesn't match and the plain grey hair is wrong. Peter Cushing had darker tones in his hair an ANH - so the POTF2 figure is more accurate in this regard.

figrin bran
07-25-2006, 09:15 PM
for all of you that are so irate over the yarna joke, what did you think of the joke they posted on their site last year at around the time of the launch of the ROTS line? remember "they're called ACTION figures"?

isn't that more "offensive" as it's a slap in the face to all collectors, not just those under the spell of a 6 breasted siren ;)

Phantom-like Menace
07-25-2006, 10:24 PM
for all of you that are so irate over the yarna joke, what did you think of the joke they posted on their site last year at around the time of the launch of the ROTS line? remember "they're called ACTION figures"?

Well, you know I'm not among the sextuplemammaphiliacs, but when I heard about the ACTION figures joke my first thought was they should agree with all of those collectors asking for more articulation.

Devo
07-25-2006, 11:22 PM
I don't remember that joke being made or even any uproar over it come to think of it. However, like Phantom-like Menace, my first reaction would have been 'sooo....articulation?!!' because guess what?? When I was a kid thats what I looked for in 'ACTION' figures not flailing arm swinging attacks! Was I wierd?

Rogue II
07-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Have you seen the new EU figures? EU Grevious figure (http://www.yojoe.com/action/other/extreme/klaw/) and EU figures, with VEHICLE AND PLAYSET!!! (http://www.yojoe.com/action/subteams/ecowarriorscobra.shtml)

:thumbsup:

Kidhuman
07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Have you seen the new EU figures? EU Grevious figure (http://www.yojoe.com/action/other/extreme/klaw/) and EU figures, with VEHICLE AND PLAYSET!!! (http://www.yojoe.com/action/subteams/ecowarriorscobra.shtml)

:thumbsup:

HEHEHEHEHEHE

Slicker
07-26-2006, 04:52 PM

:thumbsup:Those are the best looking EU figures EVER!!!!

The only gripe I have is the GG figure. His hands got cut off by Obi-Wan yet he doesn't have the rest of the arm. What gives?:confused:

Rogue II
07-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Well we all know how small the Star Wars Universe is...

***EU SPOILER WARNING***

Grevious had his arm replaced by 2-1B and was told to take care. Bossk, IG-88, 4-LOM, Dengar, and Zuckuss were there for the arm's burial.

figrin bran
07-27-2006, 01:34 AM
so are you guys trying to build up more negative karma with the EU jokes and trigger the next hasbro joke? ;)