PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

CaptainSolo1138
07-15-2005, 12:02 PM
With recent Star Wars offerings being, at the very least, disappointing, I'm really getting interested in begining a LOOSE vintage collection. My problem lies in getting started. I've been cruising ebay lately and the old adage "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't" has been running through my head. Can I really get a loose complete 4LOM for two bucks?! Furthurmore, it seems that almost the entire collection is readily available. Am I having an "easy" time finding what I want because it's loose or am I just having abnormal luck? Also, what are good vintage e-tailers? Finally, is it cheaper to buy a loose incomplete figure and then buy repro accessories?

Wow, it's weird to feel like a n00b all over again :D

vader68
07-15-2005, 02:17 PM
I still have my entire vintage collection from when I was kid, so I dont' need to look for them. But I would say that from what I have seen that ebay is going to be your best bet. But because they are loose, they are much cheaper, So I am not that surprised they are so cheap.It is also going to depend on the condition of these figs, so buyer beware. What do you have so far? What about the ships and playsets, are you going to get them as well? As far as if it is cheaper to buy incompletes, it might be, but it depends on what accessories you might be looking for. Some stuff will be hard to find. Good Luck

vader121
07-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Ebay is definitely the best place to start on your quest to get a loose vintage collection. I have found that loose incomplete figures can be had for $2-$3 each if bought in lots. If you pay for figures individually the price will be higher, much higher in some situations. These figures would be for all except the POTF and few other rarer figures like the blue Snaggletooth.

Complete figures is another story. These can go for significantly more money. I don't really like repro weapons for the most part but they can be had for usually a fairly cheap price. They are available almost constantly on ebay. Authentic weapons are expensive and usually got for $3 to $6 each depending on the actual weapon. Some, rarer weapons and accessories for much more. I have seen an Amanaman staff go for around $50 on a few occasions.

CaptainSolo1138
07-15-2005, 03:05 PM
What do you have so far?
Zip. I'm starting fresh.

What about the ships and playsets, are you going to get them as well?
Maybe. Room to put stuff is an issue right now. Once I knock the figs out I may consider getting these, which I have a feeling will be twice as difficult to find and at least as costly.

Good Luck
Thanks. I'm gonna need it. :D

These figures would be for all except the POTF and few other rarer figures like the blue Snaggletooth.
That's where some of my suspision came from. There were several complete POTF figs going for under $5. I, too, had the understanding that they were considerably more rare.

Appreciate the help, fellas!

Slicker
07-15-2005, 03:12 PM
What a n00b.

CaptainSolo1138
07-15-2005, 03:19 PM
What a n00b.

LOLZ!!!!!!1!! Oh NOES! PWN3D!!! :rolleyes:

Anything substantial to add, post padder? :p

Slicker
07-15-2005, 03:24 PM
.Anything substantial to add, post padder? :pYes I do. You can generally get most of the vintage figs for under $10 with a weapon or you can just ask me and you can DISPLAY not have the vintage figs with weapons I have in my garage.

n00b.

Kidhuman
07-15-2005, 04:34 PM
Just read the description and check em out. I got an Ewok Village and 4 figs for 20 bucks, so deals can be found. If it is in the middle of the auction, then the price can go up. Snipe em all Solo.

evenflow
07-15-2005, 07:39 PM
I say with start with the more expensive figures first. At least that way once you get started you will probably continue since you have spent alot of money. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-15-2005, 11:08 PM
I'd also check into antique stores. Only problem is this method takes more time, as them rarely have any way to track what they have in stock. But, you can often get some great deals, you get to check the quality before you buy, and there's sometimes a chance to bargain to a lower price (unlike eBay).

Fluke Skywalker
07-17-2005, 03:26 AM
I've been dragging my feet so long on my vintage collection that I hesitate to give advice to anyone, but here goes.

1.) If you're really picky about condition, be cautious with lots. Most people who sell figures in lots are selling their own childhood collection and they're often incomplete and show at least medium playwear. Ask questions about specific figures if the picture is unclear. I've had some great luck with GI Joe A real American hero figures this way lately, though.

2.) Etailers are a mixed bag as well. The prices will be at least 2 maybe 3 times as high as ebay. On the plus side, if you buy several at once you can combine your shipping which will add up over time on ebay. Also, the photos on their websites aren't always of the exact figure you're buying. Don't trust their grade scale. Ask for specifics or better yet a photo.

3.) I've tried the "Buy an incomplete figure now and find the weapons later" thing. Those figures are still incomplete.

4.) Stay away from things I'm bidding on. I mean it! They're mine!

Good luck!

CaptainSolo1138
07-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Snipe em all Solo.
Yeah, I have a feeling that may be my only hope.

I say with start with the more expensive figures first. At least that way once you get started you will probably continue since you have spent alot of money.
I was gonna do it the opposite way and buy the cheap fellas first. That way when I get down to the expensive ones, I'll have more motivation to get them since I'll have just a few holes to fill on the shelves. :D

1.) If you're really picky about condition, be cautious with lots. Most people who sell figures in lots are selling their own childhood collection and they're often incomplete and show at least medium playwear. Ask questions about specific figures if the picture is unclear. I've had some great luck with GI Joe A real American hero figures this way lately, though.
I've noticed alot of this on ebay. A lot of 20 figures will have 3 or 4 "completes" and then a bunch of loose limbed junk.

4.) Stay away from things I'm bidding on. I mean it! They're mine!
And the same goes for you. You need to respect me. I drive a Dodge Stratus! :D