PDA

View Full Version : Now that the PT is over how do you think...

JimJamBonds
07-15-2005, 02:16 PM
it would have turned out if there was a different actor playing Anakin? I was recently reading a bio of Hayden Christensen and it mentioned how he was a darkhorse for the Anakin role. This got me wondering how the films would have turned out had one of the 'favorites' gotten the role? Ryan Phillippe (http://movies.msn.com/celebs/celeb.aspx?c=180265),
Joshua Jackson (http://movies.msn.com/celebs/celeb.aspx?c=160077) or Leonardo DiCaprio (http://movies.msn.com/celebs/celeb.aspx?c=234347). Personally I think the correct choice was made, Phillippe, Jackson and DeCaprio would have been the wrong. Although out of the three Jackson might be the best pick? I can't imagine Phillippe or DiCaprio with a lightsaber in his hand going against some battle droids or Count Dooku. Perhaps some of the acting would have come across a bit better (I think its more due to clunky writing then what Hayden did). As far as Mr. Jackson, I'm not very familar with his work so I can't comment too much on how I think he would have done.

Had Leo or Ryan been picked it would have helped more brining in teens but again I think that would have been the wrong choice. Star Wars is bigger then the actors in the films and having Leo would have brought the focus on him and not on the film where imho it belongs. I know there were other's in the running but off the top of my head (and the article I read) those were the names I found.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that these other actors would have brought their strengths to the saga that could have helped in certain aspects but on the whole Hayden was the right pick and I'm glad he was Anakin.

vader68
07-15-2005, 03:51 PM
I personally think Hayden is a lousy actor. However Leonardo would have definately been the wrong choice. Thankgod he didn't get the nod. I don't know much about the other two you named , but it is hard to say who else would have been better after seeing Hayden in the role. Yeah the writing was clunky in parts, but that won't account for the feeling the actor/actress is supposed to get across. I just think he is a lousy actor, that goes for Natalie Portman too.The chemistry between the two just seemed so fake. Don't get me wrong, I loved all the movies but those two (Hayden and Natalie)could have been better.

CaptainSolo1138
07-15-2005, 04:16 PM
As far as Mr. Jackson, I'm not very familar with his work so I can't comment too much on how I think he would have done.

"Someone shoulda drowned his @$$ in the creek, yo."

In retrospect, I think Hayden was a good choice. First, he's an '"unknown". I think putting a "name" in the Vader helmet would have felt weird. Secondly, and more topically, he bears a believable resembelence to and older Jake "Yippee" Lloyd. Maybe not in a brother sorta way, but at least a cousin. And finally, as JJB#2 already said, most complaints about Haydakin come from the clunky dialogue he had to plod through.

Overall, the only other pick I'd have to play Anakin would have been me. :)

JetsAndHeels
07-15-2005, 04:52 PM
I think Hayden was the best choice. He isn't the greatest actor in the world, but the fact that he was a relatively unknown helped so that there would not be too many preconceived notions or ideas about who was chosen. Had Leo done it, we would have been fighting all the teenie boppers to get a ticket. It would be like Titanic all over again. And personally I would have hated to see him cast. I don't like him as an actor and I think the films would have been ruined for me personally.
As far as Jackson and Phillippe, well same for them too. All the Dawsons Creek and Cruel Intentions fans would be lined up buying tickets, so I guess that is another mess that was avoided.
So while Hayden isn't the greatest actor who lived or someone who will probably be taking home a grammy award, he still did a pretty good job IMO and I think it was all for the best.

Kidhuman
07-15-2005, 05:36 PM
I liked Hayden. It is hard to playa whiny sniveling punk and he pulled it off. Top chice by Lucas and crew with this decision.

Elliejabbapop
07-15-2005, 06:14 PM
You should NEVER EVER blame the actors for faults that relate to the screenwriter or to the way the character is supposed to be played (Anakin IS a weak whiner, I think people were too prejudiced in the first place 'cause they were expecting a reassuring idealistic hero, much like Luke).
Look at Hayden's performance in "Shattered Glass": it was Oscar worthy.
BTW I think he was marvellous in SW and right now the thought of another actor in his role makes me puke.

JimJamBonds
07-16-2005, 12:45 AM
"Someone shoulda drowned his @$$ in the creek, yo."

No argument from me on that one.

I personally think Hayden is a lousy actor.

When Hayden was picked wasn't too sure about him but all in all I think he did a good job. As Elliejabbapop said check him out in Shattered Glass or Life As A House those two flicks will give you a different take on him. Heck the first time you see him in House you won't believe it, it floored me!

I just think he is a lousy actor, that goes for Natalie Portman too. The chemistry between the two just seemed so fake. Don't get me wrong, I loved all the movies but those two (Hayden and Natalie)could have been better.

I thought Natalie was great in the PT. I've seen her in a handfull of other movies (Where the Heart Is, Cold Mtn., Closer, Garden State) and I think she was great in all of those films. I can see Leia in Portman's performance of Padme.

Rocketboy
07-16-2005, 06:17 PM
I have a hard time picturing anyone but Hayden as Anakin. But if I had to choose anyone besides Hayden, I could almost see Ryan Gosling. He is robably best known for the Young Hercules tv series, which he showed he could be the good guy. And after seeing him in the movie The Believer, I thought he definitely had the potential to show the darkest side of Anakin.

As Elliejabbapop said check him out in Shattered Glass or Life As A House those two flicks will give you a different take on him. Heck the first time you see him in House you won't believe it, it floored me! Ditto. I checked out Life As A House shortly after he was cast as Anakin out of curiousity and thought, "yeah, this guy is pretty darn good." Shattered Glass only reinforced my opinion.

I thought Natalie was great in the PT. I've seen her in a handfull of other movies (Where the Heart Is, Cold Mtn., Closer, Garden State) and I think she was great in all of those films. I can see Leia in Portman's performance of Padme.While I think she is an amazing actress, I thought Natalie Portman was only good in the prequels. Compare her performances in SW with Leon (The Professional), Closer, or Garden State and SW looks pretty lackluster.

Then again, there are very few really good performances in the entire SW saga, so even a great actor looks just ok.
We don't love SW for it's great acting anyway.

2-1B
07-19-2005, 03:03 AM
Ryan Phillippe, Joshua Jackson, and Leonardo DiCaprio are all decent enough in certain roles but about the only thing I would cast them in is a remake of the Spartacus bath house scenes.

I think Hayden did an awesome job as Anakin and he should be very proud.

Could they have found someone better to play him ? Sure, maybe, possibly . . . but nobody I can think of. Maybe they could have found an even better unknown but if I knew who, then he wouldn't exactly be unknown anymore. What Lucas should have done was find Hayders a few years sooner and have him play lil Anners in TPM as well, just have him be older than what he wrote the character originally.

JimJamBonds
07-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Although would it have worked with Hayden only aging a few years between TPM and AOTC? I like the idea but I'm not sure it would have worked unless they made TPM then took say 3yrs off then start AOTC. That way we would have seen a gap between the young Anakin and the teen Anakin. Ehh what do I know?!?!

Rocketboy
07-19-2005, 10:25 AM
I think Caesar meant Hayden should have played Anakin as like a 15-year-old in TPM.

JimJamBonds
07-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Yeah you're probably right Rocketboy. I like the idea of Hayders playing Anakin in all three... however seeing him as a 15 yr old then as a salty 18 yr and 23 yr old. We probably wouldn't have seen the young and innocent little Anni had he been 15 which I think helps make his downfall all the more tragic.

2-1B
07-19-2005, 02:00 PM
I started a thread several years ago asking if "Hayden" should have been in TPM and by that I just meant the same actor in all 3, whoever it may have been . . .

As for lil Hayders specifically, the same year TPM came out they did Virgin Suicides and he's quite a titmouse in there, so they could have had a 15 year old playing a 12 year old Ani or something, then in part 2 have an 18 year old playing a 22 year old Ani, then part 3 could have been a 21 or 22 year old playing a 24 or 25 year old Ani.

So, the idea of using Hayden in TPM is more hypothetical, I'm not saying they should have used HIM specifically, just the same person in all 3 . . . but for what it's worth I liked 'Den in 2 and 3. :)

JimJamBonds
07-19-2005, 02:37 PM
I started a thread several years ago asking if "Hayden" should have been in TPM and by that I just meant the same actor in all 3, whoever it may have been . . .

As for lil Hayders specifically, the same year TPM came out they did Virgin Suicides and he's quite a titmouse in there, so they could have had a 15 year old playing a 12 year old Ani or something, then in part 2 have an 18 year old playing a 22 year old Ani, then part 3 could have been a 21 or 22 year old playing a 24 or 25 year old Ani.

So, the idea of using Hayden in TPM is more hypothetical, I'm not saying they should have used HIM specifically, just the same person in all 3 . . . but for what it's worth I liked 'Den in 2 and 3. :)

So he played a little scamp in VS? Wasn't he 18-19 at the time?

2-1B
07-20-2005, 02:43 PM
yeah but he looked so much younger than he did in Clones, I'll loan you the DVD.