PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (spoilers)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2005, 12:37 AM
The book comes out tomorrow, so as you read, or after you've read it, feel free to post your thoughts. A prize to the one who reads it first. *

p.s. I think that Anakin will end up fighting Obi-Wan!
(What? Oh, sorry. Wrong popular series) ;)

* prize subject to whether it exists or not:p

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Well, I'm sad to say that I have not yet finished it; I could only get through the first 20 chapters (it has 30). :frus: Stupid life getting in the way of young adult fiction... Anyway, my impressions so far:

- So, Snape is/is not a real bad guy, eh? The Unbreakable Vow scene certainly makes it lean more towards the "is" side, but Rowling leaves just enough doubt.

- Harry has sort of matured, but I see him as more thinker/talker than act-er now. However, he seems to be letting others make the first move, then he reacts to that. Interesting way to develop your protagonist, Ms. JKR.

- I love the insights into Tom/Voldemort's history, and I'm not as impatient as Harry is to find out why these are Dumbledore's "lessons" for him (again, that wait-and-see quality coming up).

- "The Half-Blood Prince" is the name of chapter 9. Interesting that he isn't shown there. Hmm...

- Wonder when Harry'll actually use that Felix Felicis potion. I can hear Han Solo say "Good luck... you're gonna need it."

- Also a great aspect to integrate the story into "real" Muggle life, by using the Prime Minister (i.e. of England) and current worldwide feelings in a world of heightened security and distrust. The second line of the book has some not-so-subtle commentary on this.

Looking (read: drooling) to get this one read soon. I can't wait!

CaptainSolo1138
07-17-2005, 03:34 PM
I think my wife wins the "no prize" prize. She stayed up until 7:00am Saturday morning and finished the book. And then started it over when she got up the next day.

I didn't read it, but my wife told me all about it (in mind numbing detail). She thought it kinda dragged until the last quarter of the book and then it really picked up. She also got the feeling that the book could have been 2,000 pages. And a final thought ***SPOILER***

She doesn't think it was the "real" Dumbledore that was killed. Something about one of his hands, she said.

I may yet give it a read, but after "Prisoner..." I may just stick to the movies.

Darth Jax
07-17-2005, 05:59 PM
so it seems i'm the first forumite to finish? or is everyone else just holding their silence? as mentioned the book seems to move somewhat slowly at first. the finish is somewhat rushed and contrived as each of the previous books has led us to expect. i'm going to re-read the series, as i expect this book will contain plotholes like the others.

Slicker
07-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Here's another spoiler care of the people at Your The Man Now Dog. Wouldn't you have been ****ed if someone had done this to you in line at B&N?

Link (http://potterspoilerluke.ytmnd.com/)

CaptainSolo1138
07-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Dude, that's awesome!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2005, 11:32 PM
WOW.

That was the first thought I had after finishing. The phrase I thought of next was "So, Dumbledore is dead and Harry's going to drop out of school, eh?" This IS a spolier thread afterall, so no need to hide details.

- I think that maybe one of Hagrid's animals was in that funeral shroud.

- I still think Snape's on the good side. Remember, Dumbledore asked Harry to find Snape to help. Snape's a double-double-double agent; one of those "he thinks I know he knows that I know he knows" deals.

- The prophesy said neither could be alive if the other lived, but does it really mean Harry and Voldemort? What about Harry and Dumbledore? We don't seem to truly mature until we can stand on our own. Hmm? Hmm? :confused:

- I wonder how Harry and Draco will react when they meet again (you know it has to happen).

- I was completely taken by surprised at who was the Half-Blood Prince. It makes perfect sense, of course.

- The big question will be "who is R.A.B.?"

One of the best HP books, IMHO. Great job, Ms. Rowling!

CaptainSolo1138
07-18-2005, 07:45 AM
I still think Snape's on the good side. Remember, Dumbledore asked Harry to find Snape to help. Snape's a double-double-double agent; one of those "he thinks I know he knows that I know he knows" deals.

Those are my thoughts, too. There's something to why Dumbledore trusts him so damn much. From the very first time I read "...Stone" I liked Snape and have always felt that he isn't nearly as bad as he's "portrayed".

Droid
07-18-2005, 05:34 PM
- The big question will be "who is R.A.B.?"

Wasn't Sirius Black's brother a Death Eater named Remus? I think it may be him. Maybe he wasn't really a Death Eater after all.

I think Dumbeldore is dead, but Snape killed him at Dumbledore's request. I think that Snape didn't want to.

I think that in order to teach at Hogwarts Dumbledore made Snape make the Unbreakable Vow.

Dumbledore may have asked him the following questions:

1. Will you protect Harry Potter from serious harm or death at all costs? (check the first book where he saves him during Quiditch) (This would mean Snape had to spend the rest of his life making up from his role in Harry's parent's deaths)
2. Will you act as a supporter of Voldemort at all costs unless it means seriously harming or killing Harry Potter?
3. Will you kill me if necessary in order to convince Voldemort you are loyal (so that he will be shocked when you turn on him to save him?)

I am sad Dumbledore is dead. He was my favorite character. I always expected him to die, though in the seventh book. Luke can't become the hero he needs to be unless Obi-wan and Yoda can no longer help him.

I do hope that Harry goes back to school next year though. I think it would be really weird if he didn't. What would the cover say "Year 7, away from Hogwarts". Maybe he'll get a letter from Dumbledore telling him to "complete his training". Maybe Dumbledore's portrait will. Maybe the Weasleys or Lupin will convince Harry he CAN'T just run off after Voldemort by himself.

I really want him to be at school. Even if it is broken up by chasing the objects with Voldemort's soul in them.

The next book seems like it would be pretty long.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Wasn't Sirius Black's brother a Death Eater named Remus? I think it may be him. Maybe he wasn't really a Death Eater after all.

I think Dumbeldore is dead, but Snape killed him at Dumbledore's request. I think that Snape didn't want to.

I think that in order to teach at Hogwarts Dumbledore made Snape make the Unbreakable Vow.

I am sad Dumbledore is dead. He was my favorite character. I always expected him to die, though in the seventh book. Luke can't become the hero he needs to be unless Obi-wan and Yoda can no longer help him.

I do hope that Harry goes back to school next year though. I think it would be really weird if he didn't. What would the cover say "Year 7, away from Hogwarts". Maybe he'll get a letter from Dumbledore telling him to "complete his training". Maybe Dumbledore's portrait will. Maybe the Weasleys or Lupin will convince Harry he CAN'T just run off after Voldemort by himself.

I really want him to be at school. Even if it is broken up by chasing the objects with Voldemort's soul in them.

The next book seems like it would be pretty long.
I thought about Black's brother this morning, as I went through the characters' names with R or B in them.

Your Unbreakable Vow theory is interesting, Droid.

Remember that Dumbledore kept reminding Harry that the main weakness of Voldemort is his inability to love, and leaving his friends behind would be a weakness for Harry himself. Therefore, I too hope Mr. Potter realizes that having those he cares about near him is to his own benefit.

I have it on good authority (read: the voices in my head :p ) that the seventh book will be 1138 pages long and be called Harry Potter and the Seventh Book.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Damn, that was really good. I finished it tonight. I accidentally quickly read CaptainSolo1138's first post here and I thought for a while that Dumbledore might really be fake . . . but no dice, in this book anyway.

It was good to finally really see some emotion between Ron and Hermione, and they better make out in number seven or else I'll be mad. :D

COS, GOF, and HBP (2, 4, and 6) all have similar objects in them - Aragog, polyjuice potion, etc., which I also noticed after reading 4 a long time ago. Just thought that was kind of cool.

I bet that Harry, if he returns to Hogwarts, will seek advice from Dumbledore's portrait at least once.

I was glad to have had that first chapter of GOF finally be cleared up . . . I always thought that for some reason, it was the junior Tom Riddle who was dead with his parents in that house, but now I know it's senior and gramps. Stupid of me, but still . . .

It was also nice to learn (partially) why they couldn't keep a D.A.D.A. teacher for more than one year, due to Voldemort.

The next book will likely be extremely long, since Harry has to get the rest of the Horcruxes and kill Voldemort . . . it'll suck if Harry dies instead, and I also hope that Ron and Hermione don't kick it, either.

Hopefully it won't be too long until #7!

InsaneJediGirl
07-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Nearly finished reading the book.I have about hundred pages to go or so,hopefully it will wrap up a bit in the end.At least the book is getting progressively more interesting,unlike the first three chapters I thought a little boring. Still some more unanswered questions,but of course I havent finished reading yet.

Darth Jax
07-21-2005, 08:40 PM
we'll have another 2 year wait or so before the next book. JKR has said she wants to wait several months mothering her daughter before earnestly starting on the last tome. i'll be anticipating it almost as much as ROTS.

InsaneJediGirl
07-22-2005, 12:13 AM
Finished yesterday,and I thought the book was pretty good.Exceeded my expectations..then again,I really didnt have any :) I started to think RAB is Sirius' brother,but it sounds too easy.Guess we will have to wait,sadly.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-22-2005, 04:13 AM
Holy Jesus Jones. I spent most of my day off reading this bad boy and just finished it about 30 min ago: DAMN. Just. Damn. This is EASILY the best of the series, in my opinion. I loved the flashes into tom Riddle's life and mind as well as the underlying story about all the kids coming to age and asking themselves, "hey, what are my loins for?" I still think that Potter and Ginny are going to stay together; they're too goofy for each other to just walk away. I also loved how Ginny was portrayed at the end, almost laughing at Harry's nobility. I have a feeling she's going to show up and do some massive arse kicking in #7. but need sleep, so in closing: fantastic!! :D

CaptainSolo1138
07-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Did anyone else get any schwag at the "premiere"? The B&N I went to was giving out all kinds of stuff: Posters, Harry Potter glasses, and green baller bands with 'July 16, 2005' printed on them next to a picture of Harry's owl (yeah, I know it's name, I just can't remember how to spell it :D ) among other things. Pretty neat, I thought.

jjreason
07-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Well count me among the well read, I finished it the night before last. Since we were on vacation last week, I hadn't had a chance to even pick up a copy until we got back on the 20th (and to top it all off, some guy was reading it aloud to his kids on the ferry I had to take - imagine that, READING TO YOUR KIDS!!! :mad: :D ).

Luckily enough, all spoilers were avoided, and I managed to be surprised by everything - even though I was suspicious that Dumbledore would die at the end.

My theories about who the HBP might be were wide and varied: when I first heard the title, I guessed Hagrid (half giant, remember?). As soon as I hit about page 30, I switched to Harry's cousin Dudley Dursley (I'm still of the opinion that his aunt is magical, and is only being repressed by Uncle Vernon). A couple of hundred pages later, I was convinced it was Voldemort - and was finally surprised by it turning out to be Snape.

Ahhh Snape. I would follow along with those who suggest the killing of Dumbledore was planned - an affirmation of Snape's allegiance to the Death Eaters just so his cover is that much more airtight for when HE (yes, it'll be Snape, mark my words) kills Voldemort in book 7.

I was very happy with the book. Embarrassingly enough, I like the romantic parts and I was very happy to see Harry's wishes fulfilled. Ron is a very good mate indeed, giving Harry the green light. I think it's pretty plain to see that Harry had nothing but the best of intentions, and I think that went a long way in helping Ron accept their relationship.

Slughorn didn't really do anything for me, I think he'll have to be back in book 7 to perform some important function. I was a little surprised at his reaction to his memory of helping Tom understand the Horcruxes, he obviously feels very remorseful - I wonder if there's more to that story?

El Chuxter
08-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Finished it last night, and it was okay. Not nearly the letdown that The Dark Tower was, or the first viewing of Revenge of the Sith. Unless something completely wacky is up with Snape, it's too obvious to make him the bad guy and seems a pretty lame cop-out.

I expected him to stop Malfoy and end up dying as a result of breaking the Unbreakable Vow.

Or maybe Snape confided that he was cornered into the Vow to Dumbledore, and they hatched an elaborate scheme.

Seriously, if he's truly a villain, it's the biggest cop out since Padme dying of a broken heart.

Aside from Rowling taking the uncharacteristic easy way out, tied with GOF.

El Chuxter
08-11-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm an idiot.

After giving this a lot of thought, and musing over a bunch of little clues throughout, I've come to this conclusion:

Snape killed Dumbledore under strict orders from his true master: Dumbledore.

Dumbledore was old. (We know he was middle-aged when he met young Voldemort, and there were horse-drawn carriages in the street. Whereas now, Dudley Dursley has a Playstation.) He knew that he was expendable. He was probably dying from the first Horcrux curse, which was made worse by the second.

Snape, Voldemort, Dumbledore, and Narcissa all knew Draco was no killer. This was a loyalty test for Snape. And, unknown to Voldemort, Dumbledore and Snape were fully aware of this.

Snape had a golden opportunity to kill Dumbledore after the first Horcrux, but saved him instead.

Draco had to be present, to fail.

Harry had to be present, powerless, to see what happened and spread the word.

Death Eaters had to be present, to corroborate the story to Voldemort.

Other "heroes" could not, or they'd interfere.

Dumbledore pleads with Snape after Snape cuts off the Death Eater who tries to explain what's going down, but before he should know he's been "betrayed." He's pleading for him to actually go through with the plan.

Snape harms no one else (aside from knocking Flitwick out) and prevents others from harming Harry, even nonlethally.

Snape will now be endeared to Voldemort and learn the whereabouts of the other Horcruxes, which he will somehow leak to Harry.

The book? Either happenstance, or a plan to give Harry help in his weakest Auror subject without Snape being obviously involved.

Man, can't wait for the next book!!

jjreason
08-11-2005, 11:17 PM
You're right Chux. I've been claiming for a long time now that Snape will be the one to kill Voldemort at the end, not Harry. It's a perfect ploy that allows Snape to build his Death Eater credibility to exactly where it needs to be.... at a point where he can position himself very close to Voldemort. We haven't seen the last of Dumbledore, Harry will confer with the portrait Dumbledore in book #7.

El Chuxter
08-12-2005, 01:07 PM
We haven't seen the last of Dumbledore, Harry will confer with the portrait Dumbledore in book #7.

Not too sure about that. Rowling's said before that Aveda Kadaver leads to permanent death. The portrait of Dumbledore in the office is sleeping when it appears, at a time of major crisis. I have a feeling the Dumbledore in that picture will never wake up.

:wiped: