PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Hasbro ended the ROTS line too soon in order to replace it with SAGA 2?

jedi master sal
07-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Just what the thread title asks...

Do you think Hasbro ended the ROTS line too soon in order to replace it with SAGA 2?

I think so. In the ROTS forum, we discussed unproduced figs from ROTS and came up with a list of roughly 70 figures. Hasbro needs to capitalize on this movie while it can. While I look forward to new sculpts of some of our favortie characters from all of the SAGA, I can't help but think that Hasbro is short changing ROTS merchandise (and themselveas well).

Your thoughts?

Slicker
07-16-2005, 08:42 PM
This doesn't put an end to the ROTS line. If I'm not mistaken the new Saga 2 line will incorporate all 6 films into it. So technically they'll still make new ROTS figs just not a ROTS specific card.

darko666
07-16-2005, 10:21 PM
This doesn't put an end to the ROTS line. If I'm not mistaken the new Saga 2 line will incorporate all 6 films into it. So technically they'll still make new ROTS figs just not a ROTS specific card.

exactly. the ROTS line is ending in terms of being on it's own specific card. but by adding it to the Saga 2 line, they will sell better. Most of the hype for ROTS has died down a lot and since most stores are not pushing the figures as much, they might not sell to well to continue the line as part of the ROTS line. also they needed to incorporate all 6 movies, so i think this is a good move in Hasbros part.

Ji'dai
07-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Yes and no. The ROTS line ended for me back in May when I could no longer find new figures. With the exception of one Mustafar R2 & Anakin, I still haven't seen 45-50 at retail at all. So it was tough going cold turkey and suddenly facing withdrawal symptons.

Now, a month and a half later and six steps into my twelve step program, I don't care whether the line ends. The movie has moved out of theatres and new blockbusters have taken its place. Hasbro needs to refresh the line with new packaging to entice its vendors into ordering more product. Hopefully I'll see 45-56+ before the the new stuff hits, but if not, oh well.

Kidhuman
07-16-2005, 11:45 PM
I think so Sal, it seems they did the same with TPM line and went into POTJ. Anytime they can make everyone happy is a good time. Now they dont have to be movie specific.

Fluke Skywalker
07-17-2005, 04:23 AM
Well, the Saga 2 won't be here until '06 right? And it seems that ROTS will take us through Oct/Nov, so I'd say it's about right.

Besides, I honestly need a break from the ROTS style packaging.

ROTJLuke
07-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Im glad to see the comming of The Saga Collection. I missed my OT characters, and Im really excited about the waves. Im sorta sad to see ROTS go, but bring on Saga 2,from what Ive seen it looks awesome :) :) :)

princethomas
07-17-2005, 02:54 PM
60 figures seems about right for the movie specific cards. Im more likely to complain about why we got 3 obi-wan's and 3 anakin's two R2s 2 grevious's 3 palpatines 2 yodas. As I see it, that is 8 figures we didnt need. We could have gotten clone commanders and whatever else we are wishing for.

Im excited about the new line. Any idea how long it will run. I was hoping we could get one unified line that would run throughout the releases of the entire saga in 3-D

Hellboy
07-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Good riddance as far as I'm concerned. I hated the card design and like Slicker stated we should continue to see ROTS figures included in the Saga 2 line and thats all I'm really concerned with.

In comparison to the other lines it actually had a pretty respectable run.

JediTricks
07-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Absolutely not "too soon", Hasbro did pretty much every major figure in the ROTS line already, we really need to focus on more than 1 Star Wars movie, even the Saga line wasn't just about AOTC within a year. And like Ji'dai pointed out, post-44 ROTS figures have been hard to find while pre-44 pegwarmers have clogged stores. Retailers see change as a new product and are more willing to put out that product than the bent-carded, scuffed-bubble, "same old-same old" that customers are seeing now.

Bren2d2
07-17-2005, 06:20 PM
The ROTS line has had a good run thus far. I don't mind seeing it change over next year to Saga 2 though. It should be interesting to see the mix of characters that will be incorporated into this line from all 6 films.

I'm a bit bewildered that Commander Cody didn't make it into the final lineup of figures for ROTS. He definitely must be made and should have been in this line.

evenflow
07-17-2005, 07:30 PM
I think they could have done ROTS a little longer, especially since the last 12 really suck.

DarkArtist
07-17-2005, 07:51 PM
I think the Saga 2 line will better the chances of us getting more figures to add to our already large and expanding collections. ROTS is sad to say going the way of the dodo, but if you look at the last Saga wave the line was changed and thus launched the OTC line that recieved great response and much needed new figures of the core characters.
I have absolute faith the Hasbro will re-release the figures of 45 through on the new Saga 2 cards, soon their will be Tarkins for everyone.

Turbowars
07-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Pretty much what JT said. I never liked the ROTS card and will be very happy to see it go.

princethomas
07-17-2005, 09:51 PM
I m happy about it. I liked the ROTS packaging for this movie. I feel like its cool to have some specific packaging for the movie. I dont like that all of the 2003 and 04 saga cards look so much like the AOTC toys. I hope that this new line will be a more definitive line. Id like to see one official line. No weird variants and stuff either. Just Something that i can look forward to collecting for the next 5 or 6 years. That would be great. Maybe 4-6 new figures per month. And no packaging changes or at least not significant ones.

-T

plasticfetish
07-18-2005, 03:37 AM
Too soon? No, I don't think so. 68 figures seems like a pretty good run for this line, and I've yet to find the latest bunch.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-18-2005, 11:09 AM
I think Hasbro is justified in ending the line as planned. As many of you have mentioned the hype for ROTS was way over back in June. I'm betting that any day now WM and Target will shrink down their SW sections (unless the excessive numbers of Neimoidian figures keep them from doing so). While I wish the line and the packaging would stay around a little longer, I don't blame Hasbro for the "early" change. EP1 was around for over a year, probably because of the thirst for radically different figures from the OT line, and Saga was just a mix of everything with a five month-or-so run of EP2-exclusive figures. Why not move into a collection of ultimate Saga figures now?

ROTJLuke
07-19-2005, 07:06 PM
I think Hasbro is justified in ending the line as planned. As many of you have mentioned the hype for ROTS was way over back in June. I'm betting that any day now WM and Target will shrink down their SW sections (unless the excessive numbers of Neimoidian figures keep them from doing so). While I wish the line and the packaging would stay around a little longer, I don't blame Hasbro for the "early" change. EP1 was around for over a year, probably because of the thirst for radically different figures from the OT line, and Saga was just a mix of everything with a five month-or-so run of EP2-exclusive figures. Why not move into a collection of ultimate Saga figures now?

Agreed! :D :) :D

Devo
07-19-2005, 08:16 PM
I too say good riddance and for reasons already stated by other people. Terrible, unstackable boxes which take too much time to open if you want to minimise damage. Sure it saw some great figures but it also saw some of the worst ever (I nominate Palpy #35). There were a number of wasted opportunities - namely putting out three gimmicky Anakins instead of one gimmicky Anakin (if they really must insist) and one collector-orientated Anakin, similarly 2 sh*t Yodas instead of one good Yoda and an entirely different character. This seemingly may not apply to Obi-wan because from what we've seen of Red leader Obi he's pretty damn good.

The worst thing about the ROTS line..well..tied with the crap packaging - was the needless return of action features. I've said it before and I'll say it again until I'm dead - KIDS DON'T NEED ACTION FEATURES - hands up who heard a child uttering these words back in 1999 "no mummy I'm not buying Darth Maul because he doesn't have a Secret Sith kicking attack"!!!!!Action features are INCIDENTAL to kids, they are NOT PREREQUISITES for attracting kids. Sure a child will take 'lightsaber slashing attack' if its there but they otherwise would have been just as happy with what mature collectors want from figures. Action features are MAJOR TOY GRIEVANCES for older collectors who are NEEDLESSLY ALIENATED when Hasbro savages a sculpt with a stupid, useless gimmick because of the FACT I detailed in the previous sentence - I feel it warrants reiteration - KIDS DON'T NEED ACTION FEATURES.

ROTJLuke
07-20-2005, 05:39 PM
I too say good riddance and for reasons already stated by other people. Terrible, unstackable boxes which take too much time to open if you want to minimise damage. Sure it saw some great figures but it also saw some of the worst ever (I nominate Palpy #35). There were a number of wasted opportunities - namely putting out three gimmicky Anakins instead of one gimmicky Anakin (if they really must insist) and one collector-orientated Anakin, similarly 2 sh*t Yodas instead of one good Yoda and an entirely different character. This seemingly may not apply to Obi-wan because from what we've seen of Red leader Obi he's pretty damn good.

The worst thing about the ROTS line..well..tied with the crap packaging - was the needless return of action features. I've said it before and I'll say it again until I'm dead - KIDS DON'T NEED ACTION FEATURES - hands up who heard a child uttering these words back in 1999 "no mummy I'm not buying Darth Maul because he doesn't have a Secret Sith kicking attack"!!!!!Action features are INCIDENTAL to kids, they are NOT PREREQUISITES for attracting kids. Sure a child will take 'lightsaber slashing attack' if its there but they otherwise would have been just as happy with what mature collectors want from figures. Action features are MAJOR TOY GRIEVANCES for older collectors who are NEEDLESSLY ALIENATED when Hasbro savages a sculpt with a stupid, useless gimmick because of the FACT I detailed in the previous sentence - I feel it warrants reiteration - KIDS DON'T NEED ACTION FEATURES.

Devo, I couldnt agree with this more. My little brother, whos 9 mind you, hates action features on his SW figures. He loved the Kenner figures, which, yes, the sculpting back then wasnt the greatest, yet he could put them into any scene or world his little mind thought of. They were all neutral posed, no action features. Thats how we love it, thats the response I get from a lotta younger kids, and almost 99% if not 100% of collectors.

ROTJLuke
07-20-2005, 05:41 PM

I agree with you Devo. My little brother, whos 9 and the action features are marketed towards, hates them. He loved it when I would let him play with my Kenner '96 era figures, with no action features and neutral poses. I would say that 99% if not 100% of collectors as well as about 90% to 95% of kids say they hate action features.

Devo
07-20-2005, 06:47 PM
I agree with you Devo. My little brother, whos 9 and the action features are marketed towards, hates them. He loved it when I would let him play with my Kenner '96 era figures, with no action features and neutral poses. I would say that 99% if not 100% of collectors as well as about 90% to 95% of kids say they hate action features.

Actually when did action features really start on Star Wars toys? It was mainly the non-film deluxe figures of the 90s wasn't it, and even at that it was the accessories and not the actual figures?? Basic figures didn't get them until 2002 unless my memory fails me. My god that makes me sad - the so-called primitive era was free of this useless, ineffective sculpt-ruining action feature nonsense. What was so wrong with sales in 1999 that Hasbro thought (mistakenly as most of us on here agree) they had to 'pander' for the next movie year. I'd love to know did sales on action-featured AOTC figures (while the film was in cinemas) outperform the more articulation-based TPM figures (during the movie year where the hype was greatest of all)?? If not why were action features carried on for the ROTS line.

bigbarada
07-20-2005, 06:53 PM

It makes you wonder exactly what group of kids Hasbro uses to "test-market" the action features. Of course, with the way Hasbro has been churning out so much sub-standard product recently, I doubt they actually have time to play test anything.

I think Hasbro is making the right choice by switching over to a consolidated line right after Christmas. The prequels have been more flash-in-the-pan than the original films and neither Ep1 or Ep2 carried their individual toylines more than 8 months.

Either these new films don't have the staying power of the original films or Hollywood is crapping out so many movie-based toylines that nobody cares anymore. Maybe a little of both.

bigbarada
07-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Actually when did action features really start on Star Wars toys?

The action features actually started in 1977 with the telescoping lightsabers for Luke, Vader and Ben. In fact, Luke was supposed to have a big wheel in his back that kids could turn so that his lightsaber would "magically" appear in his hand. Fortunately, technology limitations and time forced Kenner to go with the simpler and less obstructive telescoping blades.

Other vintage action features included the 1985 R2 with pop-up saber and the 1985 EV-9D9 with a lever in the back of her head to open her mouth.

Slicker
07-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Also don't forget about the Rocket Firing Boba Fett.

ROTJLuke
07-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Im just glad to see the action features go, bottem line end of story