PDA

View Full Version : Anakin Evolution Set

Darth Alex
07-18-2005, 01:15 AM
Well, for those who read my gripes about this set, I apologize.
When you finally find this, BUY IT IMMEDIATELY.
When I saw some of the photos floating online of the Ep2 Ani, I groaned at the head sculpt and the Shoulder "leather".
Finally finding this at a Kmart(Wilkes-Barre, PA) I passed at first. Both Ep2 and Ep3 Anis are floating around with HORRIBLY painted eyes-brings to mind the VOTC C3PO it's that bad. The Vader in the package looks like a swell upper half of Vader wrapped in TOO much Black cloth.
After Sith Lord 0498 picked one up and pronounced it pretty good, he just moved some of the Vader cloth around, I hunted this down.

Pause for reflection- I had to call 5 Kmarts to get this.
Walmart has got NONE in yet.
Target has no idea what I'm talking about.
{reminder-this is NE Pennsylvania here, good collecting area}
TRU is aware, but has NO idea(NO suprise there) when they're coming in.
Amazon moved the release date(hardy-har-har) to 8/1, moved for the 3rd time.(Hey, Amazon, they're out, get a different message type up...I dunno...SHIPPING LATE FROM THE ORIENT?)

Anyway, I paid my $21.99 plus tax and was off.

Killer set.
Light package, well-done for the carded collector.
Easy as pie for you scoundrels to steal the weapons(DON'T GET ANY IDEAS), but the packaging displays EVERYTHING WELL...
except the articulation.
Well done.

When you find a set with correct eyes, your money.
Ep2 Ani is the one we always should've had. Tighten the shoulder robe-leather thing, and you have a killer figure. Saber paint gleams. Hilt fits into the belt TIGHT. Nice articulation, good hand attachment(ROBOAni).
Ep3 Ani-great cloak, same as above except this one has ankle articulation(hanging from the elevator shaft look!), Ep2 just has greatly detailed solid piece boots. Ep3 Ani, when he has that right arm black wrapping on has less mass than the plastic "sleeve" on the other arm, but it still looks OK.
The facial scar is noticably absent; get out your Sharpie(thanks, SL 0498)

Vader. Other than making a 2-piece helmet or a chopped glove courtesy of Luke, this is a great figure. Rivals the VOTC.
The cape, ridiculous in package, looks great expanded. Puts to shame the ROTS version. Finally, the behind-the-belt cape.
While there is not saber hilt-on-belt, the detail, the patent leather-type gloves that GRIP the saber; these make up for it.
Nice head detail, REALLY pastie-white. Helmet isn't as loose as the new Vader Kubrick or the 500th MC Vader, but it stays on...OK.

All in all, a GREAT start to this sub-line, and 3 DEFINITIVE versions of this "character".

Bottom line- 5 outta 5.

Only trouble is, this should be available NOW. EVERY-WHERE.
I went on a little NE PA toy run today and I say these should be out NOW.
'Nuff said.:beard:

shammykenobi
07-18-2005, 05:28 AM
I found four of these at my k-mart today (athens GA). I passed on them because I thought they looked too much like figures I already have. And I HATE any figure that has any cloth goods/faux leather accesories...just doesn't look right in my opinion. I have to say that the price of 21.99 doesn't seem to be worth it for three figures. I also found the jedi vs. sith battle pick and picked that up for the same price as the evolution set. It's a pretty good little package deal. The assajj ventress figures is good, but not as good as the clone wars version. The anakin figure looks really good, except his hair color is dark brown, not the sandy blonde of previous anakins. Also the scaling seems to be a little off for ventress and anakin. They seem to be slightly bigger than other figures. The grievous in this is the same as the sneak-preview one and the Yoda is a re-pack of the one that came in the yoda and chian 2-pack. The obi-wan in this set is the best figure in my opinion. The detail on the boots is incredible and the head scupt is right on. Definetly the best looking E II type obi-wan to date. The snap on armor goes on easy enough and actually doesn't look half-bad when completely assembled. All in all this is a pretty good package deal. I'll give it a 7 out of 10.

Fluke Skywalker
07-18-2005, 06:28 AM
I'm with Darth Alex here, this is a really good set. He's right on about those eyes. First one I picked up they were just awful. Thankfully the next (And last) one was perfect.

I found four of these at my k-mart today (athens GA). I passed on them because I thought they looked too much like figures I already have.

Shammy, they may be the same outfits, but these AOTC and ROTS Anakin's are light years ahead of anything we've seen before.

I'll give this set 4.5/5 because of Vader and his too shiny and too much soft goods.

Ji'dai
07-18-2005, 02:29 PM
I found this set at K-Mart last Tuesday. Here are some pics of the packaging:

http://uploads.bardiir.de/2005071221223267828.jpg

The left side of the packaging has a flap that opens to reveal a display window with the accessories. As pointed out by Darth Alex, someone might be tempted to steal them, so check under the flap before buying.

Accessories:
http://uploads.bardiir.de/2005071221223367829.jpg

Blackened88
07-18-2005, 08:02 PM
I sent out my brother to Kmart to find the set and he did along with the battlepack, he said all of them had really bad faces except for the one he got. I have to say I'm happy with it but Anakin's E3 elbows ruined him from being perfect. I also find Vaders helmet consantly falling off and thats very annoying.

ROTJLuke
07-22-2005, 10:48 AM
This looks like an amazing set, cant wait to get my hands on it, and I really do hop they continue the line, and not end it like they have claimed.

AmanaMatt
08-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Great review, and I agree totally. This Vader blows the Votc one out of the water for me: much more accurate paint deco, excellent articulation (with ball jointed elbows, unlike the Votc one), and a great Ep III S. Shaw facial likeness - no problem with the helmet on mine, so that may vary from fig to fig.

My only gripe with the whole set: I wish the Ep II Anakin had ball jointed elbows for better lightsaber positioning, but all-in-all, worth the money and then some.

Kidhuman
08-04-2005, 01:13 AM
This set rocks. I hope it is the predecessor for the next sets to come out.

PloKoon2385
08-06-2005, 01:42 PM
It is a great set! My least favorite is the Ep. II Anakin. Face sculpt still doesn't look quite right. But the Ep. III Anakin is spot on, which makes up for it. Vader is amazing, except for the loose helmet problem... You must get this set!

ROTJLuke
08-08-2005, 05:57 PM
It is a def. must get. I found one at Target about a month ago, and it really is an amazing set. The Ani ROTS is a great figure, blows the other three out of the water. The Vader def. rules too. Even Ep. II Ani is a decent figure. Must buy for lovers of VOTC sculpting and articulation. Its a fun set, it really is. :)

bobafrett
08-08-2005, 08:23 PM
After reading this review, and what others have said, it makes me want to open this one, and set Vader free. I found it at the Wal-Mart store where I work. All 8 sets sold by lunch time.

ROTJLuke
08-09-2005, 03:47 PM
You cant hid things if you work at Wal Mart? I thought you could set them aside in the back? Great figure pack, Im all for it. Im lookin for another one, actually! :)

Kidhuman
08-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Actually its against policy to hide figures in most stores. You can be termintaed for it. What ya need to do is show up early and buy them before your shift

bobafrett
08-09-2005, 11:48 PM
I did buy one set before my shift, right before opening, but wanted to get a second one to open. I think I mentioned that I had purchased one under the "What have you found" thread, thought I did so here though. Yes, I do have one, just don't like opening it as I am a boxed/carded collector. Seconds though, are free to be freed!

ROTJLuke
08-10-2005, 03:53 PM
I did buy one set before my shift, right before opening, but wanted to get a second one to open. I think I mentioned that I had purchased one under the "What have you found" thread, thought I did so here though. Yes, I do have one, just don't like opening it as I am a boxed/carded collector. Seconds though, are free to be freed!

Thats how I am. Ill usually get two of something if I wanna open it. Other than that, everything stays packaged. :) :D :)

jjreason
08-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Well I opened my set tonight, and I'm blown away by Vader. I still haven't opened my VOTC one to compare the articulation, but there really isn't much room for the VOTC one to improve upon this one.

My complaints about the set are the cut elbows and cloak on EIII Ani, and how hard it is to get the blue blade into the hilts. I just know the little peg is going to break off, and I'm going to be right PO'd.

Nice set, but with a few changes it could have been near-perfect.

ROTJLuke
08-12-2005, 01:07 PM
If the Ep. III Ani had ball jointed elbows it would have been perfect

AmanaMatt
08-16-2005, 09:33 PM
If the Ep. III Ani had ball jointed elbows it would have been perfect

I agree - they were soo close to perfection for this fig, and then they gave it crappy arm articulation, but overall, my fav set in a long time.

ROTJLuke
08-17-2005, 11:02 AM
I agree - they were soo close to perfection for this fig, and then they gave it crappy arm articulation, but overall, my fav set in a long time.

Def. This set just was a blessing and a curse. It showed us that Hasbro can produce amazing figures with the the articulation,sculpting and accessories we want, but the curse is that they wont, they give us action features and monkey faces. Its really a slap in the face when they put something out this good. Its like 'hey, we could do it, but it costs more, so well be cheap punk a** f**ks and give you bulls**t and say its for the kids. Im on to you hasbro, oh yea..Im on to you...:twisted:

Devo
09-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Its old news to the rest of you but I just got this set this week and I'd love at least 2 more. Mine is perfect with no paint errors and the figures are top quality.

The EP II Anakin looked off to me in pictures but in person its fantastic. The likeness still isn't definitive but its close enough for me. I suppose if I had a complaint it'd be that the ankles aren't articulated - which is strange considering how well hidden the ankle articulation is on the EPIII Anakin. But not a big deal really.

The likeness on the EP III Anakin, to me, looks as good as they could ever get it. The swivel elbows are fine on this particular figure - I can't see how ball joints would have allowed any more poseability. It looks great with arms straight and with elbows bent. And the outfits on both Anakins are brilliantly realised.

The Vader is a step up from the VOTC figure for a number of reasons. The ball jointed elbows - they look so fantastic I can't understand why the VOTCer doesn't have them. Meanwhile the soft goods capes and tunic are superlative and once again superior to those on the VOTC. I also think the helmet is better on this one. The lack of a ball jointed neck here doesn't really bother me because I felt it made the VOTCers neck too long. To top it all off we have the closest Sebastian Shaw likeness we're ever going to get. And with this one we can lie him on the ramp of the Imperial shuttle unlike that POS Saga throne room figure with the billowing plastic cape (and horrific action feature). Another plus is the interchangeable hands, one for lightsaber holding and the other for force choking Admiral Motti. I can't see there ever again being a better Vader figure than this in the 3 3/4" scale.

I really hope each of these figures gets a release on basic card in the future. I could do with a lot of these for multiple scenes. Its painful for me right now to only have one set.

Devo
09-15-2005, 06:27 PM
I've just discovered that Evolutions EPIII Anakin and Red leader Pilot Obi-wan can be posed with Anakin grabbing Obi-wan's throat and bending him over backwards while using his other hand to force obi's lightsaber towards his face - like in the film. :pleased: Seriously cool figures :thumbsup: