PDA

View Full Version : Bad news, guys: Proof that Hasbro really doesn't give a poop

El Chuxter
07-18-2005, 02:11 PM
My wife and I attended the Fan Club Breakfast in San Diego on Saturday. It was a pretty tremendous letdown, and I felt like I spent way too much for way too little. (I mean, it wasn't even a stinkin' buffet! And no alternate dish for vegetarians. That's just the tip of my complaints, but that's not what this thread is about.)

However, there was a Q&A with the new head of the Star Wars line for Hasbro. He went on with the little spiel about how he's a huge fan, he watches the films over and over and pauses every time there's a cool figure opportunity, they want to make the fan favorites, yadda yadda.

Someone asked him about the possibility of a Lando Calrissian in Smuggler's Outfit.

The Hasbro guy had no idea what he was talking about!

Yes, the line is headed by such a huge fan that he had no clue that Lando ever appeared in Han's clothes, even though it's very tough to miss on even one or two viewings, and one of the single most obvious figure choices.

And he didn't seem to know that this is universally one of the most requested figures.

In Threepio's words, "We're doomed."

Captain Spoon
07-18-2005, 02:37 PM
you probobly mis understood him he said he was a huge fan of tatooine luke and cantina Han :D

Captain Spoon
07-18-2005, 03:10 PM
I say if 2006 is the year of the collector why don't they bring back the Fan's Choice Poll? They should give us 50 different figures hell give us a couple of different packaging choices and let us vote on 3, 8 figure waves.Plus after the figures are set they could do Polls on Accessories. Then they make them...they we are happy... then we don't ***** and Toy Biz dosn't ebd up with the Star Wars license in 2009. There you go problem solved, everybody happy (except for Toy Biz hehe)

shammykenobi
07-18-2005, 03:41 PM
I thought hasbro had the license until 2012 or 2018??? I know it's for a while yet...I remember they forked over some serious cash to keep the license for a while.

Droid
07-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Someone asked him about the possibility of a Lando Calrissian in Smuggler's Outfit.

Yes, the line is headed by such a huge fan that he had no clue that Lando ever appeared in Han's clothes, even though it's very tough to miss on even one or two viewings, and one of the single most obvious figure choices.

Yes, these are the same people who keep saying no one wants Yarna because "who wants a fat woman, six-breasted dancer"? How could that sell?

Idiots.

Slicker
07-18-2005, 06:45 PM

And he didn't seem to know that this is universally one of the most requested figures.

In Threepio's words, "We're doomed."That truly is sad Chux. They should make it a requirement that you have to name 100 SW characters in 5 minutes to get the job. Apparantly this guy would've failed.:rolleyes:

stillakid
07-18-2005, 09:08 PM
I say if 2006 is the year of the collector why don't they bring back the Fan's Choice Poll? They should give us 50 different figures hell give us a couple of different packaging choices and let us vote on 3, 8 figure waves.Plus after the figures are set they could do Polls on Accessories. Then they make them...they we are happy... then we don't ***** and Toy Biz dosn't ebd up with the Star Wars license in 2009. There you go problem solved, everybody happy (except for Toy Biz hehe)

I still think that the poll was a sham. It would have been easy for Hasbro to decide ahead of time which figure they wanted to make, then construct a "poll" which gave the appearance of letting fans decide which got made. Who's gonna know the difference?

If they really wanted to know, they wouldn't conduct a couple silly little popularity contests. It is really easy to go through each film, pull stills of each character, assign a name, and then drop that list on the internet with little ranking boxes. Everybody who gives a crap at home can go through the list at their leisure. Hasbro can tally the votes up, find out which characters are the most popular and go from there. Pretty simple and gets the hard work out of the way all at once.

InsaneJediGirl
07-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Hey,Who wouldnt want a six breasted dancer?I know I do :D :crazed:

Of course Hasbro doesnt care.Unless it involves nice sums of money and product that will sell like crazy to make them look good.I'm more concerned about the Transformers/Starwars idea I read elsewhere then I am some employee not knowing Lando borrowed some of Hans gear.

figrin bran
07-18-2005, 10:16 PM
El Chuxter, was it the same hasbro guy as in this Q&A? (http://www.galactichunter.com/sdcomiccon05/hasbro3.asp) among other things, he couldn't even name which figures are in the Battle of Hoth Saga wave.

Turbowars
07-18-2005, 10:46 PM
For all you haters out there the Fan poll will be back next year and yes I to think they are rigged. The funny thing is when the Concept trooper won, I was so mad and now it's one of my favorite. I hope some day they do a complete series of Concept figures, I mean come on Vader is a no brainier right, so that new guy from hasbro shouldn't have a problem.

Sorry to hear that about the Breakfast.

Was it just me or was the people in the Red shirts all morons and seem to just be let out of jail. I mean if you are going to work at an event of the SDCC size, you really should know where the parking garage is right? Get this, I wanted to take my bags of stuff to my truck so I was heading for the underground parking, I was completely on the other side of the con and I asked one of the red shirts. what was the quickest way to the parking? The guys says he didn't know because he only takes the trolley. WTF was that? Damn Morons. I guess it really wasn't his fault, it was the management that didn't inform these poor people. At leat they should had had a walk though.

Kidhuman
07-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Lando wore Hans clothes? Where is this??????

I for one also think the polls are rigged. I mean, they make all the figures anywa, just when to put them out. Just do away with them and get to makin figures.

El Chuxter
07-19-2005, 12:11 PM
I've always thought the polls were rigged, since the prototypes of the "winners" seem to pop up in record time. However, I'd believed they were meant to gauge the reaction to other characters on the list. Notice how Amanaman and Ephant Mon "lost" their first polls, then won their follow-ups and were produced anyway a year or so later?

And I believe it was the guy on the left in that photo. The dude on the right I saw last year, and he strikes me as a real fan.

Darth Alex
07-19-2005, 07:50 PM
My wife and I attended the Fan Club Breakfast in San Diego on Saturday. It was a pretty tremendous letdown, and I felt like I spent way too much for way too little. (I mean, it wasn't even a stinkin' buffet! And no alternate dish for vegetarians. That's just the tip of my complaints, but that's not what this thread is about.)

However, there was a Q&A with the new head of the Star Wars line for Hasbro. He went on with the little spiel about how he's a huge fan, he watches the films over and over and pauses every time there's a cool figure opportunity, they want to make the fan favorites, yadda yadda.

In Threepio's words, "We're doomed."

And you know, it's not enough that now that the VOTC Lando is out we could get a GREAT version of the above.

We could have a fan's choice of what Amidala, Luke, or Ben/Obi to make, aside from the universe that is SW.

JediTricks
07-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Sounds like a super-lame breakfast event.

Yes, the line is headed by such a huge fan that he had no clue that Lando ever appeared in Han's clothes, even though it's very tough to miss on even one or two viewings, and one of the single most obvious figure choices. Did anybody explain the outfit and he didn't know, or just say "Lando in smuggler's outfit" and he didn't know? Because if it was the latter, that's an EU title which most non-EU folks wouldn't know about except for mingling with forumites such as ourselves (I never heard it called that till I started moderating the forums here in fact).

I guess we're used to our level of fandom, but there are plenty of SW fans out there who are casual fans and see us as the extreme - we're so entrenched with our little corner of the hobby that we don't probably realize it. Still, if the guy doesn't know that Lando is wearing Han's vest and shirt at the end of ESB, he hasn't paid close enough attention.

stillakid
07-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Sounds like a super-lame breakfast event.

Did anybody explain the outfit and he didn't know, or just say "Lando in smuggler's outfit" and he didn't know? Because if it was the latter, that's an EU title which most non-EU folks wouldn't know about except for mingling with forumites such as ourselves (I never heard it called that till I started moderating the forums here in fact).

I guess we're used to our level of fandom, but there are plenty of SW fans out there who are casual fans and see us as the extreme - we're so entrenched with our little corner of the hobby that we don't probably realize it. Still, if the guy doesn't know that Lando is wearing Han's vest and shirt at the end of ESB, he hasn't paid close enough attention.

I was thinking the same thing. I would never refer to Lando's outfit as "smuggler's" clothes. I knew that it was different from what he was wearing before, but to label it specifically and expect a non-geek to know what you're talking about is kinda silly. And I've seen Empire countless times, but I never paid that close of attention to notice that it was Han's clothes (or not). We only see the guy from here up, so who's really to say?

QLD
07-20-2005, 09:09 AM
I just want a freakin' Lando. it can be Lando in Stormtrooper armor for all I care!

scruffziller
07-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Also, why do they even have to him-haw around with the Cantina & Jabba's Palace Charachters?:confused: Those should all be released no hesitation. Any avid collector is trying to complete those dirarahmas. Those figs, in themselves, are the collection within the collection.

For someone who doesn't really collect avidly anymore. Those are the only figs I am interested in getting. Oh and a reasonably priced original Silver Vader.:D

ROTJLuke
08-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Sounds great, our Hasbro rep doesnt know jack s**t, makes me feel good about '06