PDA

View Full Version : Potential Starter

Umbra
07-18-2005, 08:36 PM
I was surfing around today and came across pictures of the new Sidious Lightsaber and was well...astounded, Thus I decided to head over to the MR website and poke around. Unfortunatly, the full sized version is vastly out of my price range (:cry: ). But I saw they had it in the .45 scaled line. I was wondereing about the quality of this line. I wasn't able to find as detailed of pics for the .45 scale so I was wondering about the Quality/details of this model and the line in general? These are only roughly 6 inches long right, how do they look displayed?

nash
07-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Welcome Umbra!,

Your post puts a big smile on my face, seeing that this is EXACTLY the way I got hooked into MR lightsabers. 2 months ago, the thought of spending $400+ on a full sized lightsaber just made me sick to my stomach. Me being a flight school student and a part time waiter, money is hard to come by sometimes, soooo the next best thing for me was to get into the mini line much like you are thinking right now.

My first minis were obiwan and anakin ROTS minis and I must say when i got them in the mail i was truly excited to own them. They may be small but they do have some weight to them and sturdiness. They are pretty much exact to their full size cousins however just scaled down .45%. some of the materials used may also be a little lesser quality than the full sizes however for the most part they try to use the same materials where they can.

Its a great line for ppl on a budget and who want to collect all the differnt hilts without having to take out a loan. I have since moved on (sort of) to full sizes. I bought the Luke ANH EE as my first full size, and I traded all 10 of my minis for a ObiWan ANH weathered LE. I still plan on buying the minis but not until i get my hands on the Obi TPM EE thats due out this fall.

I suggest you buy one mini to start off with. it wont hurt as you will likely spend only $40 give or take. They look great on display trust me. Even though I now have a highly prized ObiWan LE sitting in my display stand, I still get sad and miss my collection of minis. I swear im going to get them all back , its just a matter of time.

Goodluck and have fun, and work hard, coz ur gonna need all the money u can scrounge up together. MR props are like crack, trust me :).

KooK
08-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Umbra,

I can't tell you enough how cool these sabers look and feel, especially when there's a group of them :D

They are a bit small, especially the Yoda saber, but they are heavy and have all the details that one would hope for, especially the battle damaged Darth Maul and the Weathered Obi-Wan.

You won't be disappointed...

KooK

But I saw they had it in the .45 scaled line. I was wondering about the quality of this line. I wasn't able to find as detailed of pics for the .45 scale so I was wondering about the Quality/details of this model and the line in general? These are only roughly 6 inches long right, how do they look displayed?

amish
08-10-2005, 10:26 PM
They are very nice!!! In fact they are also hard to keep away from kids, arghh!!!

Anyway, they are worth getting! I should also mention that saving up for one of the life size ones is well worth it :-)

Good Luck!

Jayspawn
08-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Welcome to the boards Umbra and amish!

And amish is right on, the minis are great but the full-sized replicas are well worth it. Even if you only get 1.

Jedi_Mike
08-17-2005, 03:21 PM
The Sidious Mini isn't as big as its counterparts, its about half the size but impressive nonetheless. If you really like the LE I suggest holding out and grabbing one of those because its a beauty.

echo5
08-18-2005, 01:25 AM
The Minis are sweet. When I bought my first Mini (Obi-Wan ANH AFB), I wasn't sure if I liked it because it seemed so small. I own a couple full size LEs, so it was a bit awkward to hold (I felt like a giant). But when you have a group of Minis together on display, it's actually very, very cool.... and they take up far less real estate in your house.

Unfortunatey MR uses some plastic parts for various elements on the hilt, but are a whole they are mostly metal. And you certainly can't beat the price.

Start saving up, because once you buy one... you're gonna get hooked!!!!

Jedi_Mike
09-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Start saving up, because once you buy one... you're gonna get hooked!!!!

This is an understatement! I know people who start with one and within a month are buying and searching for all variants. I have held restraint but if they release mini Helmets with actual variants then I'm done for..

Stalecracker
09-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Welcome Umbra!!!

My advice is simple. Collect the minis and save the full size purchases for the ones you REALLY dig. So far I have all the minis (no varients as I only collect the ones that have been or could have been "on screen") and I love them all. They are all arranged neatly on my desk at work!!! I wait patiently for my funds to get to the point where I can get a Sidious, Dooku, Windu and Obi Wan full sized....

*sigh*

kingyeti
09-28-2005, 09:31 PM
i have minis and LE's.its definetly an expensive hobby. i say stick with the minis and go for the EE's when or if you get the chance. i'm partial to the variants and exclusives in my mini collection.its very hard to pick the right one in the LE versions because ALL of them are awesome.so at least with the minis, it gives you more options at a more affordable rate.

BEW
10-01-2005, 09:03 AM
save your money...the full size ones are the only way to go...yes they are expensive but most can be acquired when released for $300 or so on ebay.

Personally I find spending $35-$40 on an object smaller than a tube of chapstick to be a waste.

Once you get a full size you will never go back. I know they are expensive but they are worth it. When I started to buy my first ones I worked endless OT at my work to afford them. Now I just skimp back on monthly car payments but I make it work!

nash
10-02-2005, 05:28 PM
save your money...the full size ones are the only way to go...yes they are expensive but most can be acquired when released for $300 or so on ebay.

Personally I find spending $35-$40 on an object smaller than a tube of chapstick to be a waste.

Once you get a full size you will never go back. I know they are expensive but they are worth it. When I started to buy my first ones I worked endless OT at my work to afford them. Now I just skimp back on monthly car payments but I make it work!

This is very true. I started collecting only minis and couldnt imagine spending $300+ for a full size. However once you buy a full size, it makes buying minis sort of unsatisfying. well for me anyways.