PDA

View Full Version : My collection and Mina's was stolen today!!!!!

Clonetrooper630
07-19-2005, 12:11 AM
This morning some one broke into our garage and stold all of my collection and half of Mina's collection on to of that they broke in to the car took the sterio and I'm sure more stuf that I still have not found about. to ad insult to injury I called the Duarte Sheriff department 2 1/2 ago and they have yet to show up this sucks between the bot of us we had every single figure made since 95 doubbles of all and some vintage (a vinyl jawa) we had them in the garage since I decided to move in with her and we were settleing in to our new condo.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: .
She did wanted Matt to know that by some freaky reason she still has that Luke figure?????????
I guess faith decided that it does belong to you matt:( well I just needed to vent.
Does anyone know if homeowners insurance will pay for it and is it really wort it to reportvit to the insurance???

Kidhuman
07-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Sorry to hear that Clonetrooper. I feel for you.

As for homeowners insurance goes, did you have a list of what you guys had? If so that can help, by comparing it to what you had left. Hopefully evrything will work out for you guys. Again, sorry to hear this.

Clonetrooper630
07-19-2005, 01:13 AM
It's been 3 hours still no police however they are having dinner at McDonalds on huntington dr geeee thank God Ronald is Safe!!!!:mad: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:

JimJamBonds
07-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Sorry to hear about that Clonetrooper. As kh said a list would help, any sort of proof should help your cause. Pictures, video, copy of a bill you paid. Anything that establishes ownership should help out.

Clonetrooper630
07-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Sorry to hear that Clonetrooper. I feel for you.

As for homeowners insurance goes, did you have a list of what you guys had? If so that can help, by comparing it to what you had left. Hopefully evrything will work out for you guys. Again, sorry to hear this.
I do have pictures of most of my collection however not of Mina solo's collection but we do have a list. We had all the only thing left is Turbo's error figure that mina had in her closet and yipyyyyyy twenty seve empty boxes :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:

JimJamBonds
07-19-2005, 01:25 AM
Good luck! Perhaps if you could provide a list to local dealers, if all of a sudden there is somebody trying to unload a collection you might be able to get it back... heck maybe even get the people who did this too!

Kidhuman
07-19-2005, 10:17 AM
I would take JJB's advice. That would help alot. ALso scour ebay for the sale of the merch. If a huge collection pops up from your area, it could prove to be yours.

Slicker
07-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Good God. This is every collectors nightmare. I'm sorry to hear that both of your collections were stolen. If you want to start over PM me and I can try and help you with some doubles that I have.

Darth Mina
07-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Thank you for your support guys aa far as starting all over we will decide latter as this has been a devastating blow, more to Jaime than me. I was going to donate my part of the collection to TFT during the holydas :cry: :cry: while he wanted to keep collecting

JediTricks
07-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Wow, that really sucks guys, sorry to hear it. I've always thought Duarte looked like a place that got turned into a "section 8" town, which brings in some desparate and unsavory folks. At least you guys weren't hurt, but that definitely stinks to see something like that happen. How much stuff was taken, in physical size? Was it enough that they had to have parked outside and perhaps someone saw the vehicle they were shoving your stuff into? What have the Duarte Public Safety Sheriffs (isn't that what they're called there?) said about this?

QLD
07-20-2005, 09:03 AM
That freaking sucks. But everytime I was robbed, the police always took their time, and made no effort to find out who did it.

Ji'dai
07-20-2005, 02:08 PM
That really ***** goats. Since it's just property damage/theft your complaint probably goes to the bottom of the respond list. I wouldn't expect much in the way of investigation. For a collection to be insured it probably needs to be itemized and appraised and filed beforehand with your insurance company. Unless you've got receipts you may not get much if you file a claim.

El Chuxter
07-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Jeez. I can't even put into words how much this sucks. :(

I totally understand where you're coming from in not being sure whether to start over or not. If you decide to, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we're willing to help out.

Hopefully they'll be able to catch the arse(s) responsible.

Captain Spoon
07-20-2005, 03:35 PM
That really sucks, If you need pics of star wars stuff (in case you don't have all of yours) I could whip some up for you) P.S. Insurance fraud is bad :D

CaptainSolo1138
07-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Insurance fraud is bad :D
Until it benefits you or someone you know. Then it's A-OK! :D

Sorry 'bout the collections, guys. Best of luck with the situation and rebuilding!

bobafrett
07-22-2005, 12:43 AM
My dad's cabin in Wisconsin got broke into when I was in my early teen years. My dad and stepmom would go up North every two weeks to maintain the cabin. Then came the day we got a call from my dad on one of his trips. His cabin had been broken into, they took the reel to reel tape player, a gumball machine, both of our ATC cycle helmets, and a few other items. Then the cabin was broke into again a few weeks later, more item missing. Luckily the town was small, and a couple of investigators happened to see the reel to reel tape player sitting in the window of a pawn shop. They found it matched the one my dad had, and my father was able to identify it as his. They traced the person who brought it in to a kid who lived at the base of the road that lead to my dads place, He knew who was there and how often they came in and out, and when they weren't home. He was arrested and his father had to move because he was embarressed as his son was breaking into other places, and selling the items for drug money. My dad had already filed a claim with the insurance company, and since the kid had damaged many of the items, my dad was able to keep the insuirance money, but not the stuff the kid had stolen.

Anyway, it sucks big time about the theft. Sorry to hear it, but it reminds me to make sure I lock my place up tight.

jjreason
07-22-2005, 03:16 AM
Wow, man, I too am feeling pretty bad for you guys. I can't imagine being in your shoes, though I've seen literally hundreds of families in that very predicament. Not that it helps find your stuff, but maybe I can shed some light on the police perspective on b & e's.

First off, unless it's in progress there's no real rush to respond. Any in depth crime scene analysis isn't going to be done by the responding officer anyhow - if they're waiting for ident, unfortunately so is the victim. Fingerprints and other clues left behind will stay at the location for some time, very often the ident guys won't go to a residential break in here past a certain hour, they attend in the morning.

Next, unless ident gets a hit (a fingerprint, basically) it's very tough to nail down any suspects. Informants may tip the police on some bigger thefts, but not so frequently on the smaller ones (not saying that yours is "small", I have no idea what your collection was worth, though it sounds similar to mine). The good news is that it might be an uncommon type of loot for the bad guys to get, making it more memorable for the informants. Try to make sure that your attending officer mentions it to his burglary squad / property crimes guys - if that department has any.

I'd also consider making a list of people who knew the stuff was in there, along with the most accurate time frame during which this happened. It might turn out that one of your friends, or a friend of a friend, might have a knack for stealing. Many break ins are committed by people who've staked out their targets well in advance.

Lastly, it may take some time for the cops to have any luck on your file - IF they have any luck at all. Don't wait around to deal with the insurance people, get your police file (or case) number and get started right away. Even if your deductable is $500, I would think your claim would be worth well more than that. I would attempt to deal with an adjuster in person, showing them any pics you may have of you with your collection. On my homeowners insurance the only set rules were on sports cards and stamps - both my comics and toys are covered without a rider (separate insurance for specific stuff), up to a value of $200 per any one item. I have my house contents insured for quite a bit, again I'm not sure about your insurance.

Best of luck anyhow, I'm really sorry for you.

vulcantouch
07-22-2005, 09:51 AM
as others said, give your coll a chance to resurface on the aftermarket; it's possible but not likely the thieves will part it out a little at a time to disguise the origin.
most burglars go after more universal liquid like electronics, so it's more likely that you were targeted rather than randomly picked. which means the thieves would be familiar both with your interests and the general value of sw stuff. which means you should scrutinize your acquaintances who both know where you live and are aware of or share some of your interest in sw stuff.
finally, if complete recovery doesn't occur, keep this option (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/printthread.php?t=26170) in mind for spending any insurance settlement. i'm not sure where you're located so not sure what shipping might run, but you likely won't do better Anywhere else pricewise or being able to replace so much via one source :)
vt

JEDIpartner
07-22-2005, 11:08 AM
You know... I almost feel like this was done to me, too. You guys are part of the family here and I'm really feeling your loss. It could happen to any one of us. *sigh* I'll be thinking of you...

Best of luck... and keep us informed of any developments!!

InsaneJediGirl
07-22-2005, 10:53 PM
That is sad to hear Clonetrooper :( Do you think it could have been someone in the neighborhood?I mean,who else would know unless they drove by and saw the garage door open with a bunch of boxes. I hope you can recover some of your loss.

I do understad what you're going through,our family's van was broken into in a WM parking lot with all sorts of credit cards and fun stuff.Cops didnt seem all too concerned,as they let the criminals go a county down,even though they had our stuff.Makes me wonder :crazed:

Clonetrooper630
07-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Thank you everyone for your concern and support as far as the police matters goes well they fingerprinted the car this morning and got a couple of good usable prints so if this Idiot or Idiots are in the system maybe .... maybe something could happen.
The insurance will only pay what I paid since I never had my collection apraised
the good thing is that since Mina an d I buy most of the figures for the past 3 years at EE we do have recipts for most of the cases that should cover the ground from E2 all the way to most of ROTS:rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
07-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Glad to hear you're getting some positive progress there! :)

Kidhuman
07-25-2005, 11:52 PM
I hope they nail the S.O.B(s) who did this to you guys.

Tycho
07-26-2005, 01:29 AM
This sucks so bad! I am so sorry for the both of you.

I too think you were targeted by someone who saw you move in and knew what was in all those boxes. Wouldn't a theif stop and at least look into a box to see what they were stealing? If not, they must have been in an awfully big hurry.

I'm not sure where Duarte is, but I dont think I'd want to visit there right now.

Slicker
07-26-2005, 01:53 AM
That's awesome news! If these kids hit you for this much odds are that they started small somewhere else and messed up and got caught and printed. Hopefully they get what they deserve. Messing with someones SW collection is just bad mojo.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Wow, I'm really sorry this happened!! It's good to see you are getting some results though!!

More than likely, it's probably, as someone said above, someone who saw you move in which makes me think that it's probably someone who lives near you so keep a look out for anything!

Good luck on everything and keep us posted and again I'm so sorry this happened to you guys!

Clonetrooper630
07-26-2005, 07:44 PM
The Police got a Hit of two of the prints......... they are in the system :evil: :evil: :evil:
Hope they nail the suckers:evil: :evil:

Clonetrooper630
07-26-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure where Duarte is, but I dont think I'd want to visit there right now.
The sad part is that I live in the nice part of town. We just got our house and it had more than 5 zeroes I think that is why the sheriff department is in such hurry to help!!!

Kidhuman
07-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Oh hell yeah. good news for you. I hope they havent sold your stuff yet or damaged it. Press charges to the fullest. Death Penalty.

JediTricks
07-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Glad they were able to get some prints, and that your insurance company will be able to compensate you for at least part of that if the leads don't pan out. Sucks that the cops waited a whole friggin' WEEK to do their job on this though.

BTW, Duarte is a few towns east of Pasadena and Arcadia (home of Santa Anita horse racetrack) on Route 66, it's the town directly before Irwindale (home of Irwindale Speedway, a smelly Miller brewery, a Vulcan company stripmining operation that you can actually see from the main road... and little else of consequence :p). Duarte isn't a ghetto, but it's a really mixed bag because it's a little off the beaten path and the main drag seems to be a lot of section 8 housing, but it IIRC also has bells everywhere (even the lamp posts are bells at the lamp end) and has a cute old-west theme... and a big "D" on the side of the mountain it's at the foot of. :D

Slicker
07-27-2005, 01:54 AM
That's great news. They got the prints done fast enough that the kids may not have had time to sell much if anything. Let's just hope they weren't openers.:eek: