PDA

View Full Version : AOTC Speeders on SW Official Site

ACPin
01-15-2002, 11:15 AM
Check them out here (http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2002/01/news20020115.html) !

Nataku
01-15-2002, 11:34 AM
Here's a question:

Why do NONE of the vehicles so far (Starfighter, Slave I, and now the Speeders) come with NO pack-in figures?

Is it because Hasbro knows that we just complain and complain at every Pack In we get (Y-Wing Pilot, B-Wing Pilot, wiggly head TIE pilot, Bespin Freeze Guard, etc)?

At least the Pod Racers for Ep1 came with pack-in figures...

Just curious...

:)

Nataku!

JEDIpartner
01-15-2002, 12:06 PM
Not ALL of the vehicles came with pack-ins. The N1 nor the Flash speeder came with pack-in figures. I have a feeling the reason for that is Hasbro will discontinue the production of the vehicle after a season, and they are making the figures in tandem with that line, so there is no need to create a "special" figure for it. It only makes sense especially since they are including all sorts of pack-ins for the individual figures... which, from my best estimation, won't even be able to fit into these vehicles!!! After having seen the new Obi-Wan and new Anakin, do YOU think they will be able to fit into the "Hot rod" speeder? Hmmm... something to think about. Perhaps there WILL be a second set of main characters without the gimmicks produced!

jedi-cpa
01-15-2002, 02:01 PM
Eh, so-so.

This line is beginning to look like the droids line of 1985.

xboywonder
01-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Man those are some colorfull speeders... I think it is funny how they mention that only three figures will work with these speeders... but they don't say it is because every other figure has a weird dance pose.

Tycho
01-15-2002, 03:09 PM
Where are the Simpsons figures that go with these speeders?

Wait! Scooby-Doo and Shaggy might look good in them if they'd only painted "The Mystery Machine" on the side of Ani's speeder.

You guys know me. I'm the last one to get negative around here - and I dig some things about these - the crashing effects will be a lot of fun.

But Ani's speeder I saw in the trailers was a lot more shinier and metallic looking, and didn't have green lines on it. Also, the curves flowed much smoother, making it look like the curved lines like you'd find on a Corvette Stingray or something.

I don't see that here.

As to Zam's ship, do her legs stick out the bottom? I should have said Flintstones! Dino can fit right behind the tail flares. Yah-bah-daba-Doo!

In the trailers, Zam drives so fast that you don't really get a good look at her ship or its colors (did anybody get the license plate of that crazy woman driver's?) But these toys look like they are colored for the Junior Line from Playskool.

Sorry. I will buy them, but they just don't look "Star Wars-ie" enough for me. By contrast, the Jedi Starfighter and Slave-One rock!

What do you guys think?

Pellaeon
01-15-2002, 03:33 PM
I think I agree with jedicpa, they look like ships that would go better with the droids line. As Tycho said, they are too colorful, making them look very cartoonish.

In terms of the lines, Tycho, I don't have a problem with that. My feeling is that the ships from E-1 were too aerodynamic, given that the ships in the "future" (ANH, ESB, and ROTJ), were much less aerodynamic looking. The lines here (more detailed) go better with Episodes IV, V, and VI.

Jargo
01-15-2002, 03:43 PM
Hmmm, smash and bash features eh? Strange ploys for strange toys. The hotrod speeder looks like a dodgem car to me now that I see it from that angle. And Zam's is very..... green......

I'll buy them both of course and repaint them with more muted colours. dirty them both down a bit and they'll look okay. :)

Jargo
01-15-2002, 03:47 PM
And there's no figures with them so that we're forced to buy things seperately. That's how they plan on making their money back from the license investment of however many millions of dolars it was. ;)

pthfnder89
01-15-2002, 04:25 PM
I'm not too thrilled with the flat paint jobs either, but then again, who knows when those pictures were taken in the development. Hopefully they'll give them at least a paint wash, to make them a little more "used" looking.

Other than that, I thnk they look pretty good. Now we'll see if the special "crash 'n' bash" feature actually works or just screws up the ships...

JEDIpartner
01-15-2002, 04:29 PM
Maybe these features will be really cool like the way Deluxe Darth Maul's Probe Droid "launches". :rolleyes:

pthfnder89
01-15-2002, 04:39 PM
Lol, good point JEDIprtnr.

But you have to admit, at least that spiffy little action feature could just be ignored without damaging the look of the toy. Im just worried that the crash features will make the rest of the speeder look or function strange.

Jargo
01-15-2002, 04:52 PM
Tycho, it isn't far off the fimed version at all.

Jargo
01-15-2002, 04:56 PM
Forgot to add the film CGI version.. DOH! :crazed:

Jargo
01-15-2002, 05:02 PM
And here's the prop of Zam's speeder which isn't quite as colourful but still quite accurate in colour as far as the toy goes. My pic is a bit pale BTW cuz I messed up.

Tycho
01-15-2002, 05:17 PM
Thanks Jargo. Those really help.

In light of that, I think Hasbro did a better job than I gave them credit for - but you can still see grease or smog stains on Anakin's speeder from the movie shot - and the toy is painted in much less detail.

Still, the movie shot looks so much better to me than the toy. You might say "well, duh? It's a toy" but they did a tremdous job on making Slave-One and the JediStarfighter look so authentic. I'm just being honest. These Coruscant airspeeders do not yet look that good to me.

On a side note, in the movie Zam's speeder is VERY small isn't it?

How is that vehicle practical? I guess it's built for stealth and hiding in small places an assassin needs to work in. I can't picture her doing much bounty hunting of marks she must return alive with while riding in That vehicle. Still, it should be interesting.

Lord Tenebrous
01-15-2002, 05:18 PM
Zam's speeder doesn't bother me, but Anakin's speeder does seem a little on the blocky side. Not to mention that you'll have to swap Obi-Wan figures half-way through your re-enactment.

I hope they do a nice Micro Machines version, because that's the only size I have room for.

Darth Ludicrous
01-15-2002, 05:35 PM
I think they look pretty good. Maybe not quite as great as the larger ships, but for an MSRP of 12.88 (Is that what I read?) they could be alot worse (read: Naboo Speeder). A couple thoughts:

1. I suspect we're going to be surprised how small these are. From the size of the seats, Anakin's speeder only looks to be 6 or 7 inches long, at most.

2. Any idea as to whether these have wheels? Better yet, how about clear stands (wishful thinking)?

3. Anyone know how Zam gets in that thing? Does the roof (if that is the roof) lift up?

4. Anyone else suspect some Galoob influence in these vehicles? It's not like Hasbro employees woke up one morning and realized how to create better vehicles.

5. This may seem like a weird one, but this line is already shaping up to be "prettier" than the ep 1 line. What I mean by that is, there seems to be alot more variety in the colors, and the colors are much more appealing (as opposed to the garrish colors of the ep 1 line). You ever put all the ep 1 toys (especially the May 3 releases) on a shelf? That's a whole lot of ugly bright orange stuff, even outside the packaging . At least with Ep 2 we're getting some reds, blues, greens (not to mention hot pink...). Overall, much more visually appealing.

Pellaeon
01-15-2002, 05:46 PM
I suppose if these are to be "private" craft then the colors are more acceptable. Most of the craft from E's 4-6 were military craft on both sides, so its understandale that they are less flashy

Maybe my thought process is wrong, but it seems to me that a more aerodynamic shape indicates a higher level of advancement, and that is what my main gripe with E-1 ships was. I mean, the Naboo Fighter and Queens starship looked far more advanced to me then any of the stuff from ANH-ROTJ.

Unit-01
01-15-2002, 06:24 PM
I am definately getting the vehicles.

Jargo
01-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Pellaeon
Maybe my thought process is wrong, but it seems to me that a more aerodynamic shape indicates a higher level of advancement, and that is what my main gripe with E-1 ships was. I mean, the Naboo Fighter and Queens starship looked far more advanced to me then any of the stuff from ANH-ROTJ. Yeah but that's the point really. the prequel ships are supposed to reflect a period of design in the galaxy that was marked by craftsmanship rather than utility, which is all the imperial ships and vessels are. The tantive IV is a really old ship. A relic from the old republic. The origins of the Millenium falcon and the Y-wing are much prettier looking. It's only the modifications that Han makes to the falcon that uglies it up. The Y-wing is the way it is because the techs got tired of putting the hull plates back on.

The OT ships are mostly imperial which are military and clunky. Look at the US army vehicles and you'll see the same clunky utility look. Function and bare design and strength, durability. All without any beauty or form. Look at an MPV civillian vehicle and you see form and function that is designed to meet the eye with an attractive gleam. In the OT the ships look downgraded because they're cobbled together with whatever bits and pieces are left lying around after the Empire commandeered the good stuff. Or impounded it all. It's supposed to reflect a time of hardship not a time of pleasure and leisure. That's the difference that George is setting up in the prequels supposedly. So when we as viewers go from the preqels to the OT after the time lapse of twenty odd years, it seems like the empire has done much harm to the galaxy ravaged and rampaged through the systems and ruined anything that had any beauty. Much like events here on earth have played out every time a despot takes control.

garrisonkael
01-15-2002, 08:20 PM
I have two things to point out:

1. Emperor Jargo makes a good point, and another way to explain the look of the naboo ships compared to the classic trilogy is to look back at our own past. Begining in the 1920's the U.S. was crazy about what we now call art deco style. Trains, planes, and everything including toasters and other house hold equipment were all made of or detailed with very sleek, streamline chrome. Lucas, being a history buff knew this and knew that this chrome items were considered both artistic and as a sign of wealth. The Naboo are very artistic people, this can be seen by their architecture and clothing. Having artistic signs of wealth for vehicles only makes sense for such a people, especially since they are realitively no violent, what with a volunter police force and all.

2. The last Star Wars Insider had a picture of Zam firing out of her speeder, I believe the entrance is in the front section.

garrisonkael
01-15-2002, 08:22 PM
For more proof of my first claim. Compare the streamline of the 1920's to the over boxiness of the 70's and 80's.

chewie
01-15-2002, 09:52 PM
Man. Those are two boring and unnatractive speeders. The hotrod looks like a box. And Zam's just looks like the front of a speed boat. Nothing exactly special. Hasbro didn't have much to work with anyway, so I don't fault them, just ILM for making some uninspired vehicles.

JediTricks
01-16-2002, 01:06 AM
I am HOPING it's just a shoddy pic because the Hot Rod speeder toy here captures NONE of the spirit of the movie one for me. Also, in practical filming, the green of the speeder was much less pronounced than here on the toy - here it's SCREAMING. The CGI model does match the colors, but I don't think it's been fully processed to match the environments.

Ultimately, I'm a bit disappointed in the Hot Rod, but I'm still hopeful that the real toy is better off than this picture.

Jayspawn
01-16-2002, 01:11 AM
*yawn* Well anyways, I don't see how the Episode II figures with suck horrible poses could fit on these things. It certainly isn't Padme' with her stupid V-crotch joints!

GNT
01-16-2002, 02:09 AM
The vechicles are way better than the figures so far :p They look great :)

Tycho
01-16-2002, 02:17 AM
Here's a spot where I totally agree with Jedi Tricks.

On to something that shouldn't need mentioning, but evidently still does:

How many times does it have to be said that Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme will have alternate sculpts available in Collection 2 immediately upon the toys release dates.

These figures we have not seen WILL fit in the vehicles if they are supposed to be able to.

But I take this position on very weak ground, because we haven't seen these figures. Versus complaining about the exagerated sculpts, the best thing people in that camp can do is be demanding to see the other figures for the main characters.

The most intelligent thing I saw posted about this was someone said that a kid's play time recreating the movie would have to be interrupted to switch toy sculpts from the Obi-Wan that hangs on the droid to one that could ride in this speeder. That's exactly the kind of thing we've been making fun of in the POTJ forums in our resculpt-starring movie scripts. (Han having to find his 'brother' so he could actually get somebody to ride a tauntaun).

Pellaeon
01-16-2002, 07:34 PM
Okay, I understand the analogy between cars of the 50's vs. 60's in comparison to ships in E-1 vs. E'4. However, the leap between E-1 to E-4 seems more on par with going from cars nowadays and then jumping ahead in time to cars from the 60's.

I mean in E-1, you go from ships (many, not all) which are completely sleek, like a B-2 Bomber to E-4, where the ships look more like B-29's. So my opinion still remains that I think the ships in E-1 should have been a little more primitive (albiet aerodynamic to some degree) then they appeared.