PDA

View Full Version : SCOTTY dies at age 85! 3/3/1920 -7/20/05

MaquisWarrior
07-20-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm DEEPLY saddened that everyone's favorite engineer/mechanic/janitor/ and all around miracle worker "Mr Scott" died today. James Doohan died this morning in his home in Washington state from complications from pneumonia according to his publicists. He was orginally of Canadian descent and not Scotland as his most famous character and was a decorated war hero of WW2.

"GODSPEED...Mr.SCOTT"
-James T. Kirk (William Shatner) from the movie STAR TREK:Generations

Slicker
07-20-2005, 03:24 PM
I think you may be on the wrong set of forums for anyone to care.;):p

rich_of_the_dead
07-20-2005, 05:48 PM
I think you may be on the wrong set of forums for anyone to care.;):p

hey star trek or not show some damned respect ok?:mad:

Slicker
07-20-2005, 06:10 PM
hey star trek or not show some damned respect ok?:mad:I don't think I showed any disrespect either. This ;) combined with this :p means j/k or just kidding.

Kidhuman
07-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Second thread on this. Will the mods please merge this with the other.

Droid
02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
They showed a clip of him in the "in memory" section of the Academy Awards. I was glad to see it. I remember being irritated when they didn't do the same for Bones.

2-1B
02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
If he died in July 05 why did they include him in Oscars 07 ? :confused:

Odd. It's like the Academy Award version of Post Digging. lol

Jayspawn
03-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Yeah I was supprised to see him in the Oscars Memorial too. I was pretty pi**ed when they didnt do one for Bones.

Jargo
04-28-2007, 05:05 PM
They just fired his ashes into space! That's so freakish. words fail me.

JediTricks
04-29-2007, 02:41 PM
What bummed me out is that, unlike Roddenberry, Doohan's ashes flew only into sub-orbit and returned to Earth shortly after, I thought we were leaving him up there.

General_Grievous
04-29-2007, 08:38 PM
What bummed me out is that, unlike Roddenberry, Doohan's ashes flew only into sub-orbit and returned to Earth shortly after, I thought we were leaving him up there.

So where did they land?

TeeEye7
04-30-2007, 01:07 PM
All over the place! ;)

JediTricks
04-30-2007, 02:11 PM
There's a small piece of concrete in the New Mexico desert that is technically America's first "spaceport", the rocket took off from there and landed nearby at the White Sands Missile Range.

TeeEye7
05-02-2007, 03:49 AM
There's a small piece of concrete in the New Mexico desert that is technically America's first "spaceport", the rocket took off from there and landed nearby at the White Sands Missile Range.

Don't say that too loud around Mojave, JT! Burt Rutan may be listening! ;)

JediTricks
05-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Don't say that too loud around Mojave, JT! Burt Rutan may be listening! ;)
Richard Branson's beating him to it with New Mexico's Spaceport America. :p

TeeEye7
05-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Wow! Sir Richard may have his work cut out for him. Spaceport America is dependent on a 1/4% sales tax increase, which New Mexico's Doña Ana County voters bearly passed (http://www.donaanacounty.org/elections/live/), to help fund the venture. (One article I read quoted a lady as saying why she should help pay a billionaire to get richer).

He'd better bolster his lack-luster support with the locals. Maybe free first-class upgrades on Virgin Airlines?

JediTricks
05-03-2007, 04:49 PM
IMO, that's being presented wrong, they need to present it as something the people will own, like an airport, the revenues will filter back into the local economy. Branson didn't built airports for his Virgin Airlines, it's the same thing. Treat it as a municipality and it'll go over better.

TeeEye7
05-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Agreed. If Kern County was smart, it (should) would have jumped at the same opportunity given the international attention of the X-Prize. Our Board of Supervisors aren't exactly brainiacs. They've let the chance for jobs, tourism, and just plain notoriety slip through their collective fingers.

We've got Edwards AFB (Dryden Test Flight Center), the Voyager flight, and other experimental feats like the X-Prize to the county's credit. But do they capitalize on this? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Jerks. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
05-05-2007, 03:22 PM
The problem with government, and any large group of people in general, is that it's so much easier to say no to risk and take the safer path, the future is hard to see and act upon.

OC47150
05-11-2007, 08:47 AM
An update:

The ashes can't be found after they returned to earth.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070510/people_nm/scotty_dc;_ylt=AqW6f1wHr.PynlqdpCxmN3VdDxkF

My friend here at work, who's a huge OTS fan, and I joked that some group is worshipping Scotty as a god. Like the mutants in Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

JediTricks
05-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Oh man, that company sucks eggs! What the hell, who loses a damn rocket?!? GPS would have cost them what, $40? Idiots.

OC47150
05-16-2007, 07:30 AM
As of Monday (I haven't seen any updated stories since then) Scotty and Gordo 'Who's the greatest pilot you ever saw?' Cooper are still missing.

It's a 20-foot capsule with four homing beacons, but it landed in rugged terrain.

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 04:08 PM
I guess they should have bought a 5th homing beacon. :p

OC47150
05-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Scotty has been found!!!

They beamed him up -- and on Friday, after a three-week search, they found the rocket that had carried ashes of "Star Trek" actor James Doohan briefly into space.

The remains of Doohan, whose "Star Trek" character Scotty inspired the television catch phrase "Beam me up, Scotty," were blasted off to the edge of space from New Mexico on April 29, two years after his death at the age of 85.

The payload also included ashes of astronaut Gordon Cooper, who first went into space in 1963, and another 200 people.

But the UP Aerospace Spaceloft XL rocket carrying the capsules with the ashes back to Earth got lost in rugged terrain and the search for it was hampered by bad weather.

"Now we can all say 'mission accomplished,"' Rick Homans, executive director of New Mexico's Spaceport Authority, said on Friday.

Organizers said the rocket and the individual capsules containing the ashes were in good condition and would be mounted on plaques and returned to the families.

Canadian-born Doohan played the starship Enterprise's chief engineer Montgomery Scott in the original 1966-1969 "Star Trek" television series.

Houston-based Space Services Inc. Space Services Inc. charges $495 to send a portion of a person's ashes into suborbital space and return it to Earth.

JediTricks
05-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Haw, I suspect that'll kill this company.

OC47150
05-20-2007, 12:47 PM
You're probably right, JT.

decadentdave
05-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Just watched Scotty last night as Commander Canarvin in Jason of Star Command.

MaquisWarrior
05-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Scotty has been found!!!

They beamed him up -- and on Friday, after a three-week search, they found the rocket that had carried ashes of "Star Trek" actor James Doohan briefly into space.

The remains of Doohan, whose "Star Trek" character Scotty inspired the television catch phrase "Beam me up, Scotty," were blasted off to the edge of space from New Mexico on April 29, two years after his death at the age of 85.

The payload also included ashes of astronaut Gordon Cooper, who first went into space in 1963, and another 200 people.

But the UP Aerospace Spaceloft XL rocket carrying the capsules with the ashes back to Earth got lost in rugged terrain and the search for it was hampered by bad weather.

"Now we can all say 'mission accomplished,"' Rick Homans, executive director of New Mexico's Spaceport Authority, said on Friday.

Organizers said the rocket and the individual capsules containing the ashes were in good condition and would be mounted on plaques and returned to the families.

Canadian-born Doohan played the starship Enterprise's chief engineer Montgomery Scott in the original 1966-1969 "Star Trek" television series.

Houston-based Space Services Inc. Space Services Inc. charges $495 to send a portion of a person's ashes into suborbital space and return it to Earth.

He was put on planet Genesis with Mc Coy and Leonard Nimoy has channeled them both!:D