PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow's turn at 12 inch figures

Jaster
07-20-2005, 11:48 PM
anybody else excited about this? I know I am and I cannot wait to see what Sideshow has in store for us! and to top it off they are actually excited at the prospect of making EU figures? sign me up!

TatooineQueenPLJ
07-21-2005, 01:03 AM
I'm excited :D I don't much like the molded hair on the girl dolls that they do, but they do fantastic jobs w/ costumes and face molds.

I think we may actually get an attractive Zam Wessel whenever they get around to doing her.

As for EU characters, I'm good w/ that. I just hope they make sure to keep the ratio of EU characters lower compared to saga ones. All you have to do is look at the Unleashed line to see that too many secondary or third tier characters being produced, too often can kill a toy line.

That being said, I really want a Mara Jade and a Assaj Ventress! I almost thought of picking up one of their bald artist dolls to make an Assaj for myself, but now I might not have to!

JediTricks
07-21-2005, 10:18 PM
I think rooted hair looks like crap most of the time and I'd be glad to get non-rooted hair on a female SW figure. Plus, rooted hair gives any figure more of a "doll" stigma. ;)

Turbowars
07-21-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm totally hyped about this. I have talked about SS taking over for years. I can't believe it's really happening.

The idea of them pushing EU figures right off the bat concerns me. I think it will be a bad move. I think the bset thing to do would either go with as theme release like what Hasbro does in non movie years or give us a figure per film in each wave, but I don't think they want to pump these out in sets. The last I heard at the SDCC the price point is around 60-100 each. I have also heard 35-45, so I guess it will depend on the figure. Hasbro would release 4 new 12" and like only one would be knid of cool and you could see that they put more effort into it. All 4 would cost the same, but you could see where they cut corners. They do it with the basic line all the time, not that any of you didn't know that already.

What would be cool if the EU figures they did make were an on-line kind of deal. Since they a specialized, why not make the purchase special as well.

Can you guys imagine if they did a Stromy and Dewback or a Max Rebo band, Awh man this could be good, I mean really good. Keep your fingers crossed people.

Slicker
07-21-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm pretty excited but if the price point is too high I don't think I'll even consider these. With the other amount of SW product coming out I'd have to put these into my "if I have extra money" category.

Jayspawn
07-22-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm very excited about Sideshow finally getting the license. I figured Hasbro would have a deathgrip on it.

I dont care about the EU characters, I wont buy any if Sideshow made them. But I'd buy pretty much any other. I also know that we're also going to get some awesome accessories with our 12" figures. I'm just excited about the whole prospect.

Darth Alex
07-22-2005, 02:24 AM
I'm very excited about Sideshow finally getting the license. I figured Hasbro would have a deathgrip on it.

I dont care about the EU characters, I wont buy any if Sideshow made them. But I'd buy pretty much any other. I also know that we're also going to get some awesome accessories with our 12" figures. I'm just excited about the whole prospect.

I've dipped into the 12" line once in a while, but never really had the extra $$$ or space to really put anything into it.
You know, there aren't a heckuvalot of Hasbro 12" line figures that blew me away. It was always stuff like the Electronic Boba, the Maul/Speedr, the Biker Scout w/bike that impressed me.

While I don't relish the price of Sideshow doing a 12" line with say, vehicles, too, I am really interested in what is going to come of this.
I'd love to spend the cash on the RAH foriegn Luke and Vader, but I'm never gonna get the $299+ together. This line weill be a nice alternative, as long as we can get them. I like the Sideshow, MR, and Code 3 stuff, but I'm not running up a huge credit card bill just to try and reserve and buy cool expensive stuff.

Ji'dai
07-22-2005, 07:35 PM
I not so enthusiastic about Sideshow's abilities. Hasbro has had problems capturing likenesses on both human and even alien or armored characters, but so has Sideshow IMO.

I passed on the Buffy 12" line because I didn't care for the likenesses (esp. Willow & Faith); plus Sideshow's higher price ranges and exclusivity (generally only online or comic shops) have kept me from collecting their products at all.

Since Hasbro "ceded" the 12" license to Sideshow, what does Hasbro get out of the deal? Hopefully Sideshow's SW product will see a wider distribution through Hasbro's vendors, i.e., at mass retail with more reasonable prices. Sideshow could take advantage of Hasbro's established distribution network and get their product into the large retail chains.

Turbowars
07-22-2005, 07:44 PM
I hope SS doesn't have to pay hasbro anything for getting the go ahead. Then we will be paying 3 middlemen for our toys.

Sith Lord 0498
07-22-2005, 08:25 PM
I can't help but wonder if Hasbro was pressured into giving the license to Sideshow by Lucasfilm itself. Obviously, there is a collector's demand out there for 12" figures, and Hasbro turned its back on it. They did the same with the Action Fleet, and Code 3 suddenly had permission to make similar vehicles--only for a higher-end market. I wonder if Lucasfilm told Hasbro that they either use that part of the license or relinquish it. Yeah, it takes "collectors' dollars" away from Hasbro, but Lucasfilm still gets their cut.

I just don't buy the BS I read during the announcement where the agreement stemmed from "Hasbro sculptors liking Sideshow items and Sideshow sculptors liking Hasbro items." Total BS--there's more to it than that.

Turbowars
07-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Oh heck yeah there's more to the story. That article had a lot BS, I like to call Log Licking, if you know what I mean. It was written like a couple splitting up and both of them being happy about it. Just doesn't happen very often.

jjreason
07-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Well I think there's some excellent potential here. Nicely done 12" versions of Darth Vader, Stormtrooper and Boba Fett are going to be all but impossible to NOT get - especially if they're not priced out of this world. What does the average Sideshow 12" figure go for?

Turbowars
07-23-2005, 02:58 PM
$35-$45 per figure right now.

Sith Lord 0498
07-23-2005, 09:36 PM
$35-$45 per figure right now.

Which is where Hasbro was heading anyways. Yeah, the ROTS 12" are 20-22 a piece, but the VOTC 12" was at a 30 pricepoint. I'd gladly pay another 15 or 20 bucks for a superior sculpt and better materials. If anything, I think Sideshow might actually be underpricing these pieces (just like how their 18" scale is way overpriced).

Darth Alex
07-25-2005, 01:30 AM
I hope we get a Max Rebo.
Go ahead and laugh, but I always thought that would be one cool 12".

JHwang
08-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Can someone clear this up for me because I'm kinda hazy on this despite all the responses. Does this mean Hasbro will not make anymore 12" figures? If not, then yay..

Jayspawn
08-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Hasbro will not be making any more 12" figures.

JediTricks
08-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Yay!!!! :D

AmanaMatt
08-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Yay!!!! :D

Exactly. If Sideshow offers great head sculpts, then these will be popular in a way Hasbros were not.

sebillba
08-12-2005, 03:24 AM
The only Sideshow 12" figures I'm familiar with are from their Planet of the Apes range. I only bought the apes, and whilst the sculpts and outfits are superb, and they look awesome on display, I have serious issues with the feet.... they are loose and spin round, making them difficult to pose, even with the provided stands. Is this a common problem on Sideshow bodies, or just with ape feet?

Jedi_Mike
08-17-2005, 03:37 PM
A recent article said some figures will retail into the $55 range but if they do a great job like I'm hoping they will, I will definitely be right there for every release.

jedibear
08-22-2005, 12:56 AM
While this sounds promising, the only worry I have is availibility, especially with the limited runs SS features. A 500-run per figure might work on a vintage property like POTA (those figures do look fantastic) but with a hot property like SW, I don't know if, even at $40+ a pop, if that is too limited a number.
Heck, even Hasbro made it tough for a few of their figures (I never saw a Shaak Ti or Barris Offee in a store) and we know they had much larger runs.

I'm all for SS getting this license and I wish them the best of luck and await these new figures with enthusiasm...but I just hope it doesn't turn into a feeding/scalper/exclusive frenzy making it near-impossible to get 'em.
Imagine...hot characters like Boba Fett, a properly-done Storm/CloneTrooper or any of the core characters having a limited 500 run...we'll see.

AmanaMatt
08-22-2005, 09:25 PM
They should produce these in such numbers that anyone that wants (and can afford) one, gets one.

If we get a 12" Vader I'll be mad....now, a 14" Vader - that's more like it!

JediTricks
08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
IMO, they have to produce at least 5000 units of each main figure for them to be worthy of the license, I believe that's the magic number on Hasbro exclusives which cost this much so Sideshow should have to consider that at least that many collectors will want these as well.